Thread: Owl killing chickens?

Post Thanks / Like

Owl killing chickens?

About 10 days ago in the morning, I found the wing of a quail sized pullet under the tree that she slept in with other free ranging fowl. There was no other body parts to be found. She was definately killed in the night while roosting high in the tree.

Early this morning, I found two wings and the head of another pullet under a different tree that she roosted in at night.

For those of you with experience with owls as predators does this sound like an owl to you? Do they eat or partially eat the fowl in the tree that they catch it in, removing the wings or head?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Owl killing chickens?

Yes, that would be an owl. The owl would push the bird out of the tree until it lands on the ground so it can kill it. Then the owl would feast on its prey right on the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Its a coon getting you chickens. Thats what they leave behind. Wings

cabegania

our owl here in oak hills ca is a big black headed two feet mammal that every time i come back from pi only my good fowls were eaten or taken by the big blck headed owl or hawk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cabegania
    our owl here in oak hills ca is a big black headed two feet mammal that every time i come back from pi only my good fowls were eaten or taken by the big blck headed owl or hawk.
    heheheheee....was it really an Owl or Hawk?

Could be a RelaTHIEVES of yours....hehehee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by delano77
    About 10 days ago in the morning, I found the wing of a quail sized pullet under the tree that she slept in with other free ranging fowl. There was no other body parts to be found. She was definately killed in the night while roosting high in the tree.

Early this morning, I found two wings and the head of another pullet under a different tree that she roosted in at night.

For those of you with experience with owls as predators does this sound like an owl to you? Do they eat or partially eat the fowl in the tree that they catch it in, removing the wings or head?
    I experienced that from before especially this time of year... these predators killing and eating my fowls...coons,possums,owls, bobcats and one time gators.....

Post Thanks / Like

About 3 weeks ago . I got 5 that got injured by an owl. they were on tie cords and you could tell something attack them from the back. all in the same are. Near the neck and and the lower back. 2 of them I had to sew back up but only one lived. Out of 5. 1 was dead but not eaten up. Another one was almost dead in the corner of my farm and I'd sewed him up and he's still alive. I'll make him a brood cock. The other one I'd sewed up lived but I had to cull him cuz he was damaged very badly. The other 2 had minor cuts but is fine now.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go for possums. I've had experiences with them. They only attack at night when your birds are sleeping.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the input. Based on where I live I can assure you its not a coon or possum. I am as sure as I can be that its' an owl but since I aint witnessed the crime I can't rule to much out.
    Nevertheless, assuming it's an owl, I would appreciate input from those of you who have dealt with this problem. I know you good ole boys in the rural USA got some good advise. I have no idea if owls are an issue on the Island. Are they?

Post Thanks / Like

Not once I'd seen a pussom in my area or Racoon. I seen a owl before but that morning I saw a big grey eagle or some type of flying bird and it was close to the ground. about 15 feet away.

cabegania

Quote Originally Posted by goryo888
    heheheheee....was it really an Owl or Hawk?

Could be a RelaTHIEVES of yours....hehehee
    I believe you are very right with the relaTHIEVES.

Post Thanks / Like

It is not an owl killing your chickens that are roosting in the trees. An owl will not eat his kill where he kills it and he won't leave the wings as evidence. An owl will carry it off to a safe haven and eat it there. What you have sounds more like a feral house cat to me. Get yourself a live trap big enough to hold a full grown racoon. Use a can of sardines for bait. Cats, coons, skunks and possums are all easy to catch in live traps baited with sardines. What you do with the cat is up to you but I wouldn't recommend inviting **** over when you do it.

Pagemaker

From my experience with Owls... they don't take the chicken anywhere, they kill them right then and there. I have heard that they push the chicken out of the tree and then kill them on the ground - I believe they kill them in the tree and fly down and pull the head off the chicken and swallow it whole. An owl, I've heard, will come back and feast another time on his kill... but from my experience the first time he visits you will have a chicken with only his head missing.
    I have a baby monitor located out by some trees that most of my young chickens roost in.
    I was awoke to a chicken screaming and I ran out to see and an owl flew from the tree.
    There was a fresh killed chicken on the ground that he didn't have time to pull its head off.
    (And believe me and Owl can easily swallow the entire head of a chicken) I couldn't tell exactly how he killed him as I only noticed claw marks on the little stags body. I think he broke his neck. I also looked up in the tree and there was one dead and caught up in some branches of the tree... he was already missing his head. The following night the rest of the chickens moved to other trees, that is a sure indication of an Owl. I almost believe the owl scares the chickens to death. LOL
    I had a hen years ago that would roost in an empty fly pen and I would shut her up every night to keep anything from getting her... one night I was a little late getting out there to shut the door... there she was found just outside the flypen and missing... guess what? thats right, her head. So an owl will fly into your open pens I know that from experience as well. Depending on your location and setup you may do well with a pole trap (I can't use them here because its illegal) place a steel leg trap on top of a pole about 15ft in the air... check it first thing in the morning. Set the pole trap out in the open, as the owl likes to perch just outside where he is surveying and deciding which one he is going to kill. (sometimes I think they are looking for toe marks and leg bands so they know they are getting your good ones! LOL) You may even want to look into building a Swedish goshawk trap... (but only if its legal in your area)
    http://www.raptorsnest.com/Misc/GosTrap/
    I'm working with the blinking LED lights... I'm building my own and the night the owl struck it had been raining and my incomplete lights had become water logged and were not working... so I think there is some promise to the blinking light theory.
    You know I think the best varmint deterrent that could be made is something that emulates a person walking around in the yard with a flashlight... I never have problems out in the yard at night while I have my shotgun and flashlight in hand.
    Anyway hope this helps.....
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the info. Much appreciated.

mannawray

I had a problem with owls and bought some of them red blinking lights and i have not had a problem since. also if you don't have a dog it might help. I have a great pryennes and that has cut down on hawks coons fox and all.