Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: jimmie johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Re: jimmie johnson

There was 12 cock derby that jimmie won a long time ago i dont remember if it was a hawai tribute but thats made him so popular after that derby his prices went thru the roof.i'll have to look thru my old gamecock and grit and steel fight reports.hes got good looking birds but like i've said ive seen better and i would go some where else.but everone has there preference so i'll just leave it at that.like any other gamefowl breeder thay dominate one year then fade the following year.

Post Thanks / Like

jimmy has allway compete tough along with his brother charlie.....

and no the hawaiian is 7c allways has been......

cigar

Post Thanks / Like

as of right now from what i have seen i would'nt buy from him.i dont care about his past records. i've personally seen his birds fought so thats where i stand on my point.as to the 15 cocks my buddy bought from jimmy i was there to watch them get beat.and yes i lost money on them since everyone built up the hype of they were jimmy johnson fowl.
    I gave my opinion to his fowl from what i saw first hand.thats how i came to my opinion.people might not like it oh well i'll go somewhere else.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to travel with Jimmy years ago. He is a good feeder, trainer, and handler. He used to bring birds to Hawaii to hack and enter derbies back in the late 70's and early 80's. He used my farm and cockhouse several times to feed out and rest the cocks then we traveled to the pits together. We never showed any in a 12 cock derby in Hawaii and the largest I have ever witnessed was a 7 cock derby. However, we did show some in a 12 cock derby in mid americal years ago. Yes, his birds are a bit pricey, his Albanys are the same blood as his brother Charlie's in Oklahoma. When we used to stomp all over he used to pick up birds from Chuck Ellis, Clift Collins, Joe Sandford and others in the Riverside/Modesto area. His garage was turned into a cockhouse with flypens and his washroom was turned into a the rest area for cocks being conditioned. He lived in a residential area of Modesto at the time and did not have the space for any strings. After his mariage with Emily, they purchased a farm and began to raise some, but prior to he sold brood trios and battle cocks from other farms. Also, yes when he was younger he looked somewhat like Chuck Norris, but much taller as Chuck Norris is quite a short fellow. Jimmy is a great guy, but today his fowl are not winning as much as others in the sport. When we won the 12 cock he used Roundhead, Claret crosses that were awesome. To be honest, best to find someone that is a constant participant in the winner's circle of today and obtain the same type of fowl winning.

My choice would be:

Roundhead from Oscar Akins, Dee Cox, or Jim Clem
    Claret from Cigar, Steve Sturm or Mac White.
    GL Hatch (Mclean) from Red Fox farm, YL Hatch from Gene Brown (Oakgrove)
    Sweater from Blackwater or Dink Fair
    Kelso from Bob Ward (Showtime)
    Lieper from Roger and Katie Brooks, (Hammertime)
    Radio from Johnny/Randy Jumper

There are many other folks that raise some awesome fowl and seem to be in the money many times. For lk battle fowl, I would seek to purchase (if ever I needed) from Tommy Arwood.

My favorite for any weapon is a good ole Hatch Claret or Roundhead Claret cross. Remember the best fowl you will ever obtain is through friendship. Sometimes you will have to purchase them, but you can only get the best from a friend.
    Last edited by Mudflop; June 10th, 2009 at 05:47 AM.

5. Likes Boss4213 liked this post
    junebug32

I would always see Jimmy in Quartzide or Neighbors when they were open and he always did very well.I don't know about now.The only thing I know is that his brother Charlie has some of the best Albanies Ive seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Jimmy won the 12 cock world championship using california hatch i believe he has his brother charlies albanys and good mcleans the roundheads are inbred or bread out they are starting to run

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mel mendoza View Post
    Nice cockhouse! cool picture too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RazasPuras View Post
    I know he is somewhere in Modesto area ...used to aprtner up with Cliff Collins also of the same place...Cliff's Mcleans looked really nice...showed some darkfowl infusion with those dark eyes.

Wonder if Cliff is still around....he advertised in the Gamecock in the 80's
    Cliff Collins is still around , He lives in New Mexico Near Albuquerque , I used to buy from Him in the late eighties , great roosters

Post Thanks / Like

i have an old mag showing jimmy and i think it was jay goode i never owned his roundhead but have heard of them for years

Post Thanks / Like

I use to buy plenty of fowl around modesto/oakdale and waterford area. there was a particular breeder named mike white lee and the day that Jimmy won the 12 cock at mid america, he told me they were his blend of California Hatch/Claret/roundhead cross. I hear these days, the story aint the same for Jimmy as the playing field has leveled up.

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding was that he won the world championship at Mid-America with some hatch cocks from Kentucky. Him and Charlie were good friends with John Lowe which was a good friend of mine. He has passed now,God rest his soul. John asked the guy's from Kentucky for one of the cocks and he was gifted one. I aquired some Albany's from John, which he got from Johnny Moore approximatly 25 years ago he said. He also gave me the Hatch cock as he was moving back to California. I talked to Charlie at the Bayou Club and he said that his Albany's were infused with John's Albany blood.

Post Thanks / Like

jimmy and I just won five cock show solo the coon kelso he has are awesome. he is open to the world for a main

Post Thanks / Like

Jimmy has won some good shows the last 2 year, i dont know about derbys dumb ass. And im sure jimmy would tell you the same thing if he knew you were putting him on blast without his permission. It is still illegal in california and everywere else in the u.s. I have known and been very good friends with jimmy for 20 sum odd years. So please watch your tounge, hate to have cops going over to his house asking him if he fights birds cause someone made some false statements on hear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ROUND HEAD MAN View Post
    Jimmy has won some good shows the last 2 year, i dont know about derbys dumb ass. And im sure jimmy would tell you the same thing if he knew you were putting him on blast without his permission. It is still illegal in california and everywere else in the u.s. I have known and been very good friends with jimmy for 20 sum odd years. So please watch your tounge, hate to have cops going over to his house asking him if he fights birds cause someone made some false statements on hear.
    ....a fish is caught by it's mouth ..... but it seems that someone could be caught by others mouth on here ... lol

Post Thanks / Like

cip how is everything going. Hope all is well. Birds from Jimmy are starting to come around. Hope all is good on your end. Take it easy.

-jay

Post Thanks / Like

I know he won a 12 cock at mid america back when legal. I forget what year but my gramps was showing there that same year.

Post Thanks / Like

they are quick footed solid bodies. best ones I've seen is the roundhead crossed on his ruble hatch

Post Thanks / Like

Who said anything about derby just show

Post Thanks / Like

The last year it was legal I saw him at the bayou and he got in the money he sure smoked me down he had good birds that day

Post Thanks / Like

I have been doing really well with Jimmies roosters Albany Kelso has put the ribbons in my pockets. Have shown twenty four cocks wining 19 loosing four and one draw. If you treat them right you will be rewarded.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard that he had like 2 good years and after that he was just mediocre, did I hear that right or was he consistent through the years?