Thread: Brood Hen

Post Thanks / Like

Brood Hen

Guys,

Could you give us some tip on how to select you brood hens?
    Do you have the same guideline on the diff bloodlines? Hatch, sweater, kelso etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brood Hen

body conformation and size

Post Thanks / Like

I like to choose hens that stand out from the rest. Body conformation, the way they stand, vibrant eyes, red heads, nice body, spurred, tail at 45 degree angle, nice shaped head, strong feathers, good station, clear feet, and 16 tail feathers. Also the hens have to come from a proven line either brothers and parents from a winning line. It is hard to find hens that meet this criteria and sometimes they wont meet all of the criteria but it doesnt mean they will not produce. This is just I look for when choosing a hen. Then I single mate so I know what kind of offspring my hen will throw.

yati, lilo-an, cebu basak, compostela, cebu
    Post Thanks / Like

just select who's always busy on the ground.
    the rationale behind that is too long.

Post Thanks / Like

choose those hens that you may find very attracted & you like most and you feels very defferent compare from the rest. like how we choose our girl friends, because is always differs from individual taste.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcjfarms
    I like to choose hens that stand out from the rest. Body conformation, the way they stand, vibrant eyes, red heads, nice body, spurred, tail at 45 degree angle, nice shaped head, strong feathers, good station, clear feet, and 16 tail feathers. Also the hens have to come from a proven line either brothers and parents from a winning line. It is hard to find hens that meet this criteria and sometimes they wont meet all of the criteria but it doesnt mean they will not produce. This is just I look for when choosing a hen. Then I single mate so I know what kind of offspring my hen will throw.
    sir, when you say body conformation, does it means football shape? would you pick ones that have a broad shoulder or a big hip?

the shape of the head? can you pls elaborate on this? also on the way that they stand? what would be the proportion of the feet and tights.

tnxs

Post Thanks / Like

when looking at the body conformation of the hen, where does power and cutting comes from? how could you tell that the hen came with power?

don_89

The best brood hens come from multitime proven ace cocks. They need to be out of linebreeding so they are not more than a two way cross. If there are too many crosses the genetic predicability greatly decreases. They must have the football type body that is not long. Shorter body allows them to be quicker. They must possess balance and not have a shank that is longer than the leg bone above the knee. Very few hens will have the 16 tail feathers and the sons of such seldom inherit the trait. Even so, I have not seen a rooster win with tail feathers.

If one could pick hens that produced ace cocks then one would be very wealthy. The best you can do is to select for all the traits you want and single mate, single mate and single mate. If you don't then how do you know which hen produces the aces and which one the losers. If you are lucky enough to find the hen that produces aces, do everything in your power to protect her and set every egg she lays even if it is out of season. You may want to breed different cocks to her but always breed her back to her proven father, son, grandson, etc. This will enable you to continue the bloodline and produce superior fowl. A proven producer hen is worth more to me than 20 cocks of questionalble ability.

How many male professional atheletes are able to produce sons that come close to their father's abilities. Very few!!! Look at the mother's of these atheletes and you will find that they were fine atheletes themselves. There are a few exceptions but not many!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by don_89
    The best brood hens come from multitime proven ace cocks. They need to be out of linebreeding so they are not more than a two way cross. If there are too many crosses the genetic predicability greatly decreases. They must have the football type body that is not long. Shorter body allows them to be quicker. They must possess balance and not have a shank that is longer than the leg bone above the knee. Very few hens will have the 16 tail feathers and the sons of such seldom inherit the trait. Even so, I have not seen a rooster win with tail feathers.

If one could pick hens that produced ace cocks then one would be very wealthy. The best you can do is to select for all the traits you want and single mate, single mate and single mate. If you don't then how do you know which hen produces the aces and which one the losers. If you are lucky enough to find the hen that produces aces, do everything in your power to protect her and set every egg she lays even if it is out of season. You may want to breed different cocks to her but always breed her back to her proven father, son, grandson, etc. This will enable you to continue the bloodline and produce superior fowl. A proven producer hen is worth more to me than 20 cocks of questionalble ability.

How many male professional atheletes are able to produce sons that come close to their father's abilities. Very few!!! Look at the mother's of these atheletes and you will find that they were fine atheletes themselves. There are a few exceptions but not many!!!
    tnxs for the great info

Post Thanks / Like

Also don't breed a hen that is too skinny or fat ..Skinny breast chickens sometimes inherit mothers features ...You might skinny breasted roosters that can't build up the chest.... And the fat hens might not breed well or lay well.....Oh watch for chickens that eats thier eggs, but that can be fixed by picking up the eggs befor she eats them...
    Make sure the hen Is healthy, the breed that you want( not too many crosses or you lose the line), The style you want the offspring to inherit, And if you can get the hen from a winning line... Watch her and see the traits like you do in watching a cock they have different things to offer.......Another thing is if you got a hen from someone and they did good with the line ask them to find out what they look for and how to breed them.....
    Theres alot of ideas! But above all this you just have to try....

Post Thanks / Like

tnxs guys,

anymore info would help alot

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by JCJ Farms;

Nice hen Bro! I m Adding a sparring time to find how she delivers her feet specially when trapped her back in the wall. I love hearing the long parararak sound ..The hardhitter, the bravest, the energetic...Assume to gain an offspring either typical fighting style, reduced or greater skill based on inherit style from the Broodfowl...Matching is another thing!

And at a time she hatched her chicks , I like such alertness,so quick and brave, a great protector, to that she flews like a helicopter strikes drumming her feet around her Boss neck ...even the dog cant greet her Hello???!!!
    Last edited by pittv7; September 19th, 2008 at 04:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Breeding Theories

Breeding Theories
    By Lawrence Sangaree

The breeding of game fowl requires, among other things, a lot of thought, time, experience and a great deal of patience, as well as foresight. Remember, I said the breeding of game fowl, not near games or just game acting fowl. They all come in an entirely different category. First, let's discuss the breeding game fowl; I mean real honest win or die trying game fowl. They can be bred and they can be perpetuated. However, to breed this kind of fowl, you first must have them available to breed from, and mortally wounded. Their eyes reflect the fierce determination that is in their heart. That determination is what makes a gamecock a gamecock. He's determined to win--to completely and savagely wipe his opponent from the face of the earth.

Let's say you do have that kind of game chickens, and don't get me wrong, they can be gotten. The old Kearney Whitehackles were one of the families of really game fowl. They were slow and not considered to be the best fighters in the world, but their gameness could never be questioned, and that alone made them very popular. There were and there are other families of deep game fowl that are considered to be just as game as the old Kearney's, but that is beside the point.

Say you have a family of pure real deep game fowl. Now remember that even the gamest of game fowl will sometimes throw a bad one, and bad breeding practices will increase the chances of this. One instance of bad breeding practice is to put all your hens and pullets with one cock and just set all or some of the eggs. That is known as flock breeding and is definitely a method no game fowl breed would practice. It is best to single mate, but not entirely always necessary. If you have single mated before and have hens that are already proven by single mating and you have no doubt of their ability to throw game stags, then you can put these hens, say two or three or four, but not over that, with your brood cock, assuming that he too, has been bred before and his progeny were desirable types. This then, is a brood yard of proven selected individuals. The offspring from this yard after being culled deliberately and ruthlessly can be saved back for future brood stock. Of course it's wise to fight the cocks you intend to breed later, if of course you cannot tell which of the hens each stag is from, and this is very unlikely with pure-bred game fowl. If the stags were from a single mating it is an entirely different matter, as here, you can breed a brother to the stags you have fought, one that has not been injured in battle, provided of course he is of good confirmation and with plenty of nervous energy. Save this stag of your selection back and breed him as a cock over his mother or one of her full sisters that has thrown good game stags. The old cock can be bred back to his daughters, and I would go over each one with a sharp eye for conformation and strength. These two assets usually go hand in hand. You'll want the ones that are the most active, but not necessarily the most quarrelsome, although if they are quarrelsome and have all the other assets--breed them.

Now--after you get offspring from these two yards of your own breeding--that is the stag over his mother or her proven full sister and the cock over his daughters, which are sisters to the stag, but bear in mind that I said breed the stag when he becomes a cock and the pullets would also naturally be considered hens by then.

The get-from these two yards would then be cousins and you can take the ones selected for breeding and breed them cousin to cousin. Or you can take the offspring from the old cock and his daughters mating and breed a stag from this back over the old hen, mother to the cock over the other yard, and therefore, by the same token, take a cock from mating of the other yard and breed him to the hens from the cock - daughter mating.

Using this method you can have several families of the same strain and none of them be too closely related to breed together and throw strong, active offspring. You will also be able to keep this family of fowl pure using this method and also keep them game.

Post Thanks / Like

pedigree is the best way to select.... i have seen some ugly hen throw some of the best cocks.....

pedigree....

cigar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CIGAR
    pedigree is the best way to select.... i have seen some ugly hen throw some of the best cocks.....

pedigree....

cigar
    Sir,

Can you enlighten us on how you use pedigree in choosing hens? What are the sign that you use or look for in a hen at considering they are "ugly"?

YFIS,

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

more inputs from our more experienced friends please and thank you so much for the information shared above by our fellow cockers
    ...... this is the area where I am having difficulties in doing selection as well. It is so hard because like what Mr cigar said, some hens may look so bad but will produce good chickens and vice versa, the most beautiful hen in the yard might produce mediocre results.

Post Thanks / Like

Considered a flock of pullets a simple way is to choose the dominant one and..that's it.

Post Thanks / Like

pedigree has to done from the breeder... lets says the breeder sells a trio to a buyer the buyer breeds and one of the hens offspring acquires 85-90% win rate with all wins fast also with all birds come out uniform verse non uniform this would be documented then later on down lets say the breeder shows their have the same line as the buyer has above and has a 80-90% win rate.... this would be documented now lets say a potential buyer ask then the pedigree on this hen (line from above) would be considered favorable than a line that doesn't have any pedigree....

for instances gene beta has very good record in mexico and we were looking for quality of that then we would find out what was shown, how often and record however this is hard to do in usa right now do to new laws..... when i select i like to let the breeder select one hen and i select the other due to breeder knows his birds better than anyone else......
    hope this helps.....

cigar

Post Thanks / Like

The way I choose a hen is just our custom and just what I look for. My opinion how to choose a hen. The 16 tail feather is very rare but the hens that I have seen with this trait have produce good birds. Its a mexican custom in choosing "una gallina fina". I know a lot of people are fixated on names, wingbands and marking but these thing dont enhance the fowls quality. I remember someone email me and asked what markings my fowl had and I said I dont have any markings since they are single mated and dont breed a large quanity and see said my fowl were no good. I just laughed and said Thank You. Some people use different way in choosing hens like counting scaled etc. and I respect each ones method. I think we can learn from each others method.

Post Thanks / Like

The way I choose a hen is just our custom and just what I look for. My opinion how to choose a hen. The 16 tail feather is very rare but the hens that I have seen with this trait have produce good birds. Its a mexican custom in choosing "una gallina fina". I know a lot of people are fixated on names, wingbands and marking but these thing dont enhance the fowls quality. I remember someone email me and asked what markings my fowl had and I said I dont have any markings since they are single mated and dont breed a large quanity and see said my fowl were no good. I just laughed and said Thank You. Some people use different way in choosing hens like counting scaled etc. and I respect each ones method. I think we can learn from each others method.

This is one reason i posted this thread, to share and respect with each other ones method.
    JCJFARMS, thanks for sharing your method and i know with this you would not only help me buts fellow cockers and breeder around the world.

tnxs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CIGAR
    pedigree has to done from the breeder... lets says the breeder sells a trio to a buyer the buyer breeds and one of the hens offspring acquires 85-90% win rate with all wins fast also with all birds come out uniform verse non uniform this would be documented then later on down lets say the breeder shows their have the same line as the buyer has above and has a 80-90% win rate.... this would be documented now lets say a potential buyer ask then the pedigree on this hen (line from above) would be considered favorable than a line that doesn't have any pedigree....

for instances gene beta has very good record in mexico and we were looking for quality of that then we would find out what was shown, how often and record however this is hard to do in usa right now do to new laws..... when i select i like to let the breeder select one hen and i select the other due to breeder knows his birds better than anyone else......
    hope this helps.....

cigar
    very true i see fowls from well known retired breeder, by far they don't look
    like picture fowls but crossed with any decent blood always throws tremendous battlecocks same traits and fighting styles. if you're lucky enough to have the breeder send you his pick of what he will breed himself consider yourself lucky.
    there's a lot of crooks out there too...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue_talon
    very true i see fowls from well known retired breeder, by far they don't look
    like picture fowls but crossed with any decent blood always throws tremendous battlecocks same traits and fighting styles. if you're lucky enough to have the breeder send you his pick of what he will breed himself consider yourself lucky.
    there's a lot of crooks out there too...

I do believe this is because of the highbred vigor created, old timers keep their bold solid so when they are cross creates hghbred vigors. But inorder to create good pedigree we must start 1st with proper selection of hens.

So the questions still stands, How does we select, do we have the same selection with diff blodlines?

miron

very informative topic

http://edwinoronce.multiply.com

Post Thanks / Like

great method of choosing....

very informative...

Post Thanks / Like

This is something that I would choose

http://www.oakridgegamefarm.net/gall...php?photo=2589