Page 1 of 22 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Soaked Oats

Post Thanks / Like

Soaked Oats

Can Someone Please Help Me Out N Tell Me What To Put In The Water To Soak The Oats. How Much And How Long Do They Have To Soak. Thanks Alot.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Soaked Oats

You can soak them for 2 days and feed them or you can let them ferment 2-3 weeks or longer and feed them. Here is an oats recipe of Mr B's that is really good. Their heads will be bright red and their feathers will shine. Be sure to feed them chickens you're sending me this oat recipe. I feed soaked oats every day year around, Gabe.

Get a thirty two gallon PLASTIC heavy duty garbage container with a lid.
    2) Into this container add the following ingredients:
    1 gallon of apple cider vinegar (not apple flavored vinegar)
    1 lb of dark brown sugar
    1 cup of RED CELL vitamins

1 12oz container of the cheap brand of ground cinnamon
    1 packet of vitamin / electrolyte powder
    4 qts of vegetable juice concentrate
    3) fill the container half full of water and stir all the ingredients thoroughly.
    4) add 100 lbs of whole recleaned oats
    5) fill the container with water and cover.
    6) after 24 hours add more water and do so everyday until the oats no longer soak it up.

I usually wait 5 to 7 days before I feed them depending on the outside temperature. I feed a mix that has 25% oats in it. With this mix they do not smell or "go bad". It seems to me from my experience with my fowl that the longer they soak the better the fowl love them.

Soaked Oats are a good thing for your fowl this time of year now that the days are longer and hotter and the birds are going through the moult. There really isn't any right way or wrong way to prepare Soaked Oats.

Good Luck!

Last edited by blackdeath; September 19th, 2008 at 11:41 AM.

3. Thanks apache2a, Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes apache2a, Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you feed them just these oats to cut feed cost? Or mixed with other feed? And with your soak oats even in a closed container do you get any mildew or bacteria after a while or the viniger helps it last and don't get bad? since it has a sweet mixture can I expect ant or bug problem? It's kinda new for me and I don't like to waste feed. Just want to make sure of certain setbacks if I use this method..... Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

5Saints
    I feed 25% soaked oats mix with other grains and pellets.
    When it is hot, stir the oats with a broom stick or other stirring tool and the mildew will not grow on top of the water. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

5saints leave in the container you mixed in however just like blackdeath said keep stirring....

cigar

Post Thanks / Like

only one thing i would add and that would be piperzine (liquad wormer) due to this time of the year our birds are going through moult so they have blood feathers all over their body so the last thing we want to do is pick them up and handle them this the reason to use soaked oats this will keep us from handling them and hurting them more......

cigar

8. Likes dungeon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How much PIPERZINE need to be added to the mixture?

Quote Originally Posted by CIGAR
    only one thing i would add and that would be piperzine (liquad wormer) due to this time of the year our birds are going through moult so they have blood feathers all over their body so the last thing we want to do is pick them up and handle them this the reason to use soaked oats this will keep us from handling them and hurting them more......

cigar

Post Thanks / Like

quart size......

cigar

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Soaked Oats

Thanks Blackdeath & Cigar ! I'm going to try this! I'll half the items for a 50 lbs of oats...

Post Thanks / Like

i would still use a quart of the liquad wormer.... it will not hurt.....

cigar

13. Thanks dungeon thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the help guys. ill also be doing it in half with a 50 lb bag. BLACKDEATH, Is it FRED?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about that Fred. I know a guy in Cali. with that username named Gabriel. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

It Is Me Gabriel. I Was Asking If You Were Fred Since Ive Never Talked To You In Here. Hows It Going Bro?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh heck... I didn't read that right. How goes it Gabriel? Yep, feed them the soaked oats, the whole flock. You can feed them plain soaked oats or follow the recipe, vary the recipe a little, add the wormer like Cigar said, just feed em. Year around.
    I'll give you a call in about a week.
    Last edited by blackdeath; September 20th, 2008 at 09:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath
    You can soak them for 2 days and feed them or you can let them ferment 2-3 weeks or longer and feed them. Here is an oats recipe of Mr B's that is really good. Their heads will be bright red and their feathers will shine. Be sure to feed them chickens you're sending me this oat recipe. I feed soaked oats every day year around, Gabe.

1 lb of dark brown sugar

3) fill the container half full of water and stir all the ingredients thoroughly.
    6) after 24 hours add more water and do so everyday until the oats no longer soak it up.

I usually wait 5 to 7 days before I feed them depending on the outside temperature. I feed a mix that has 25% oats in it. With this mix they do not smell or "go bad". It seems to me from my experience with my fowl that the longer they soak the better the fowl love them.

Soaked Oats are a good thing for your fowl this time of year now that the days are longer and hotter and the birds are going through the moult. There really isn't any right way or wrong way to prepare Soaked Oats.

Good Luck!

sirs,
    what good do we get from soak oats?

Post Thanks / Like

Oats are the most strenghtening grain.

It is not good to feed oats dry as the end of the oat that is attached to the stalk is very hard and sharp and can scratch the lining of the craw that will result in sour crop. When you soak the oat it softens the sharp end and the chicken will eat more of them. Chickens do not do well on dry oats, and in fact will eat very few of them, but will gobble soaked oats.

Post Thanks / Like

It is not good to feed oats dry as the end of the oat that is attached to the stalk is very hard and sharp and can scratch the lining of the craw that will result in sour crop. When you soak the oat it softens the sharp end and the chicken will eat more of them. Chickens do not do well on dry oats, and in fact will eat very few of them, but will gobble soaked oats.
    tnxs

Post Thanks / Like

So you said they can gain strenght from oats? Ho's about weight? Maybe huh because moisture content in this mixture......Oh I have Calf mana in my dry grains( Gamecock conditioner).I heard that if calf mana is given to the birds wet that it causes diarhea(wet poop)...Should I change my dry mixture or wouldit be fine?

Post Thanks / Like

My Dry feed consist of: 28% pellet,Large cracked corn,Popcorn,R/C Wheat,R/C Red& WhiteMilo,21% pelets, Trapper Peas,Rabbit Pellets,R/C Malt Barly, R/C Oats,Wheatgerm Oil, And Anise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5SAINTS
    My Dry feed consist of: 28% pellet,Large cracked corn,Popcorn,R/C Wheat,R/C Red& WhiteMilo,21% pelets, Trapper Peas,Rabbit Pellets,R/C Malt Barly, R/C Oats,Wheatgerm Oil, And Anise.

Thats a good mix, I'd just add 25% soaked oats to and call it great.

Post Thanks / Like

1 lb of dark brown sugar

Good Luck!

Sir, in this mixture, what prevents the soak oats not to smell or goes bad? the cinamon?

25. Likes Riverrat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gabiel hows it going bro. What crossed best with your clarets for you this year?

dogmancarter

i like this thrad ,
    can you soak some crack corn with the oats, and mabye some lentil(peas)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mariobros
    Sir, in this mixture, what prevents the soak oats not to smell or goes bad? the cinamon?
    You can't stop the oats from smelling, fermented oats just smell and nothing will stop that. The oats will not go bad on you, in fact the longer they soak, seems the chicken like them better. Good luck

29. Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jcj, I Showed A Couple Pure Clarets And Df Kelso/clarets And Did Real Good With Them Against Cocks In Moreno Valley. Went3 1/2. The Pure Clarets I Showed Were Brothers To The One That U Picked Out At My Place. I Bred Some George Foster Kelso/clarets That Are Looking Good And Some Gilliam Rh/clarets That Also Look Pretty Good. Ill Just Have To Wait N See How They Turn Out. Did U Breed Or Show That Claret You Got From Me?

Post Thanks / Like

I bred him to my clarets and got 5 stags and 3 pullets. I sold a pair and waiting to see how the others come out. There only about 5 1/2 months old but are looking good.

Post Thanks / Like

They Should Come Out Good. Did You Breed Him To The Howard Belk Clarets? I Went To His Farm But He Had Nothing Left. My Cousin Bought A Pair Of Gulls From Him. You Got Any Pure Howard Belk Claret Pullets?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mariobros
    Please allow me to answer this query though it's not directed to me..

It is the Apple Cider Vinegar (APC) that did the trick here as explained by Mr. Allan Butler's article in the other website..
    The oat recipe will smell good with the help of the cinnamon. You can try it and see for yourself. You can feed the recipe after 5 days. Hope this helps you buddy!!

FIS,

BullRider
    Last edited by BullRider; September 23rd, 2008 at 04:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I breed them to my yellow legged ones. I tried breeding to my belk but no luck. This year I will breed one of the stags to my belk. This last year I had a lot of bad hatches I usually would get an average of 10-12 chicks per hen this year it was more like 6. Hopefully I could do better this year.

Post Thanks / Like

bump...bump...bump...