Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: P.I National Short Knife Competition.

Post Thanks / Like

P.I National Short Knife Competition.

Hi Guys,
    I was thinking of promoting a National Short knife derby in my cockpit this coming cock season and was thinking what you guys would think about it.

Hey Senti, want to co host the event make it REAL BIG! If we can gather enough interest this can be a reality this season.

we need to gather entries from all over the country and interest everywhere.

If you remember awhile back we hosted (on a seperate small cockpit) the 1st short knife event which was using stags.

But now I was thinking Cock derby to make the SK event more smashing.

What do you guys think????? we need the big names to support and fight this derby so that it will open eyes in the P.I how exciting also a SK event can be.

Best,
    Victor Sierra

Post Thanks / Like

Re: P.I National Short Knife Competition.

I'm pretty sure you will get the support of Glenn Lim and Boy Diaz. They were talking about this topic when they were commentating the 07 Candelaria derby.
    Last edited by Taga_Cebu; October 2nd, 2008 at 02:37 PM.

james wolf

in the manila area would be very interested in joining

Post Thanks / Like

interesting idea, and good luck.

but, imho, our sabong would be better off with the long knife (lk).

first, short knife (sk) takes more time, and most people would find such longer fights not as exciting as the lk. some would even find sk fights boring.
    second, although we now have a lot of best quality fighting fowls in our class A derbies, we still have a lot of runners in our regular cockfights.
    third, sk takes a lot more punishment, and the gameness of most of our fowls in our cockfights are not up to the task. in cockfights, we would see a lot more runners in sk fights.
    fourth, overall, in the whole pinas, we would be better off with the lk. why? because lk is longer and could deliver more deadly cuts, one lk strike could be fatal, and is a winner, thus negating the punishment and gameness factors. that was the very reason why our quite smart pinoy brothers, a long time ago, introduced the lk to the americans. thats why it is called filipino long knife.
    fifth and last, our sabong would be better off with one standard weapon of choice. our lk sabong, with its phenomenal and continuing growth, is exciting and thrilling enough.

just my humble opiniion.

cheers.
    Last edited by tony777; October 2nd, 2008 at 02:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i applaud you pre VICTOR...i hope that you can launch this and have a successful go at it.....we need another kind of weapon for variety.....if people like it....great.....if they don't....at least somebody tried.......i think it just lack the right promotion...but is definitely an exciting idea.........

Glenn Lim and Boy Diaz talked about promoting it on a wider scale again at the 08 JAN WSC.......

you have the capacity and the right contacts to make this event very successful.......

just a question pre Victor......don't you need to have a special tare made for short knife?? maybe that's the reason why it hasn't clicked yet because of added expense in making a shorter tare for this kind of fighting..........

Anyway goodluck and more power to all your endeavors.......
    Last edited by dbm174; October 2nd, 2008 at 04:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

another idea pre Victor is to start an organization for short knife enthusiasts....and hold regular shortknife derbies in your cockpit.........sooner or later people will be introduced to it.....and you can gauge based on the attendance if people are liking it or not............................

if i can only be there i'd be the first to join that organization..................
    Last edited by dbm174; October 2nd, 2008 at 05:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is very interesting...this is what we call variety if it can be pushed thru...we have fought under Sk competetion and for me it is as exciting if not better than that of the popular Filipino weapon!
    Last edited by ironchef; October 2nd, 2008 at 05:04 PM.

aurora gold

Quote Originally Posted by tony777

first, short knife (sk) takes more time, and most people would find such longer fights not as exciting as the lk. some would even find sk fights boring.
    where did you get that information tony?

we should applaude victor for initiating such event

danding09

if the long knife competition takes 10 mins, how about short knife????

i think the short knife competition brings out the fighting ability and gameness of a rooster. I hope this competition will take place so that we will also learn more in our beloved sport. This will expand our information in sabong. more information and experiences will make sabong more competitive.

To the organizers, good luck!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

i will be probably bringing some of my mexican freinds in pi

Post Thanks / Like

i will be probably bringing some of my mexican freinds in pi

Post Thanks / Like

TONY YOU'RE ALWAYS OUT OF TUNE. I DONT THINK YOU'RE A REAL COCKFIGHTER!!
    SOMEONE IS PROMOTING A SHORT KNIFE COMPETITION AND YOU'RE TALKING LONG KNIFE. LOOK FOR ANOTHER THREAD

second, although we now have a lot of best quality fighting fowls in our class A derbies, we still have a lot of runners in our regular cockfights.
    third, sk takes a lot more punishment, and the gameness of most of our fowls in our cockfights are not up to the task. in cockfights, we would see a lot more runners in sk fights.
    fourth, overall, in the whole pinas, we would be better off with the lk. why? because lk is longer and could deliver more deadly cuts, one lk strike could be fatal, and is a winner, thus negating the punishment and gameness factors. that was the very reason why our quite smart pinoy brothers, a long time ago, introduced the lk to the americans. thats why it is called filipino long knife.
    fifth and last, our sabong would be better off with one standard weapon of choice. our lk sabong, with its phenomenal and continuing growth, is exciting and thrilling enough.

just my humble opiniion.

cheers.
    Last edited by MARVZ; October 2nd, 2008 at 07:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

wasn't there a short knife derby that was held in cebu (sugarland) last 2005 ?

Post Thanks / Like

not too sure but i think Glenn Lim organized/promoted that derby.....i don't know if he checks this website....but would be interesting if he can give his opinon...............

Post Thanks / Like

short knife

we are the promoter on that derdy gleen is not the promoter but one of the organizer that why its gone with the wind togother with our money but we just forget it what is money pera lang yan friendship is ever lasting

i and gleen have a main on thats time combo short and longknife but he as and advantage coz he make the rule s hehehhe any how that was a good fight i lost that main i was not present at that time only my handler

short knife is good some times only one two buckles dead boll na

for ur info those who didnt watch the short knife

Post Thanks / Like

just my humble opiniion.

cheers.
    While the LK is truly the most exciting weapon there is for cockfighting, I do not see any reason to do away with weapons that would put the gameness of our chickens more to the test. In the long run, the introduction of new weapons will bring more excitement to Philippine cockfighting and would truly showcase the Filipinos as the greatest cockfighters in the world...

Goodluck Victor!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by victor
    Hi Guys,
    I was thinking of promoting a National Short knife derby in my cockpit this coming cock season and was thinking what you guys would think about it.

Hey Senti, want to co host the event make it REAL BIG! If we can gather enough interest this can be a reality this season.

we need to gather entries from all over the country and interest everywhere.

If you remember awhile back we hosted (on a seperate small cockpit) the 1st short knife event which was using stags.

But now I was thinking Cock derby to make the SK event more smashing.

What do you guys think????? we need the big names to support and fight this derby so that it will open eyes in the P.I how exciting also a SK event can be.

Best,
    Victor Sierra
    victor,
    i like your idea. if you have a good referee that knows the rules & regulations of the short knife, go for it. is it american sk or mexican sk? let me know, i can put up 1 or 2 entries.
    cabros

Post Thanks / Like

Will double edge knives be used? In Mexico double edged knives are used in the big fights and if you watch the videos on youtube, their cocks kill faster than the cocks at the world slasher!

Also, Mexican rules?

regardless, this is a good idea and serious breeders will benefit from such events.

Post Thanks / Like

Will.. I watch that in Monclova Miexico some fights are faster than LK but some fights are 45 min.

Victor, you can introduce the SK to pinoy slowly plus the Ref. has to be trained properly.. dyan ang umpisa ng hindi parehas kasi yong iba hindi alam ang rules ng SK kaya ang promotor or organizer ay pweding mag take advantage... not just to jump there right away without introducing to the cockers.

Post Thanks / Like

keep the PI LK rules, just change weapon to SK

Post Thanks / Like

this is good and i think breeders associations should support this type of event together with fighting in gaffs(long, short, bayonets, skeletons, etc). to ensure quality gameness in the fowls that are being bred in the country!

the purists should support this!

Post Thanks / Like

in the intercontinental derby there was a 15min time limit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cocker123
    Will.. I watch that in Monclova Miexico some fights are faster than LK but some fights are 45 min.

Victor, you can introduce the SK to pinoy slowly plus the Ref. has to be trained properly.. dyan ang umpisa ng hindi parehas kasi yong iba hindi alam ang rules ng SK kaya ang promotor or organizer ay pweding mag take advantage... not just to jump there right away without introducing to the cockers.
    i think it's better na ang referee rules ay katulad ng sa atin..magkaiba lang ng weapons kasi i've watched the mexican sk competition mabagal ang sentensya at pinipilit pang buhayin ng sultador yung manok nya..yung referee hindi allowed humawak ng manok sya lang ang nag uutos sa sultador kung ibebreak..let the long knife regulations applied on the shork knife competition.magset lang ng standard na haba ng tari sa short knife that's it..sultada na!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaime1
    I agree. I think the only reason that maybe the sk fights last longer when held in pi because there has not been enough practice in tying the knife or knowing which knives to use. You guys have not mastered the technique yet, but I am willing to give you guys tips or any help you need in heeling. Just hit me up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MARVZ
    TONY YOU'RE ALWAYS OUT OF TUNE. I DONT THINK YOU'RE A REAL COCKFIGHTER!!
    SOMEONE IS PROMOTING A SHORT KNIFE COMPETITION AND YOU'RE TALKING LONG KNIFE. LOOK FOR ANOTHER THREAD
    hep hep. horray. hep hep horray.

thanks for your opinion. as you could see, its all a matter of opinion. if this is just a yes sir-thread-posting site, or if opinions or ideas are chilled, this site would be boring. my friend, marvz, its okay to disagree, just attack the message, not the messenger.

in araneta, during the wsc, they could pretty much maintain about 7 fights per hour, when they really clamped down on the heating time. sk produces quick fights too. but, assuming we would have the same 10 min fights, as in lk, when you attend an sk fight in the future, check and compute how many fights they could do in an hour. im not saying that time is the only thing that matters, but in business, as in sport, more thrills and more excitements, is the best.

in any case, i do agree that an sk competition is an interesting idea. it would also be educational. people would see for themselves the pros and cons of lk and sk.

cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaime1

to be less complicated in adopting new rules.....i believed JAIME1's suggestion is the best for now......................

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Taga_Cebu
    wasn't there a short knife derby that was held in cebu (sugarland) last 2005 ?
    yes, it was the very first main that materialises in regard to the short knife
    and it would rightly be promoted that Cebu should maintain
    and hold an annual derby to commemorate the historic event.

a friend(way bUot) commented though that somehow the fights almost predictably ends up in a long drag fight..i am sure it must not always be the case and he is just speaking his opinions..things can improve if breeders will come in droves bringing along their chickens bred for the short knife..surely it must be an exciting event to watch.

and i didnt ask if they had a sentenciador , sorry.
    and oh, before it starts to get out of hand..this thread is not short knife versus long knife..

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's better to have a main fight for the SK. laban ako dyan 10 cocks main. Probably it will last for 8 hours.

james wolf

it is an excellent idea, i hope it is held in a major pit in manila. the only problem would be knifes, the derby would have to have 3 or 4 gaffers who were familiar with the knife, but i think my velcros will do ok.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great way for testing if your birds are game, although sf birds fight a different style compared to lk birds. Sk birds are usually bred to have more bottom and speed which brings a new challenge for Filipino breeders.