Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue legged hens

Dwip

Blue legged hens

I was talking with a friend of mine today and he said he had some hatch hens with blue legs but didn't know what line of hatch. He asked me and I wasn't for sure so I was wondering if any of you know what type of hatch hens generally have blue legs?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blue legged hens

Quote Originally Posted by Dwip
    I was talking with a friend of mine today and he said he had some hatch hens with blue legs but didn't know what line of hatch. He asked me and I wasn't for sure so I was wondering if any of you know what type of hatch hens generally have blue legs?
    as i know sir. maybe i was wrong here.i dont know the opinion or experience of others. blue legs are came from the combination of parent. maybe the one is green or dark legged and the other is white legged. most probably ur friend was right that he claimd that his rooster is a hatch. but may be a result of a hatch and other bloodline wc is white leg like clarets, RH, etc. anything who are WL. try to popst here the pics sir. so that our fellow cockers tell their opinion or analysis sir.

Post Thanks / Like

this is the example of a blue legged

his father. a roundhead

his mother. hatch mclean

Post Thanks / Like

Johnny jumper's Kelso pullet will pop out some blue legged. If you got one, keep it co'z it is a golden hen.

Post Thanks / Like

Amigos,

As we all know, Most contemporary lines are not really pure. the Great breeder like Mr. Hatch and Mr. Kelso, for example, combined different strains of fowl and created their own
    historical lines. We know these as hatch and Kelso.

Genetics are a funny thing ! Sometimes a Line like Kelso which are bred to a standard that produces White Leg fowl or Yellow leg fowl will produce a Blue Legged stag or pullet. It is simply because there is a chromosone for this in their DNA. It pops up on occasion!

The Chromosone in the DNA Chain can be mapped in fowl. It just hasn't been done in fowl as yet. I also breed Labrador retrievers and it has been done in this dog breed. You can send a sample and get a report to see if an animal is factored for yellow for example rather than the base color of black !

Hope this helps a little ! I understand it better than I can explain it !

Saludos,

Baja

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dwip
    Blue legged female offspring are a blend of dark legged broodcock & white legged broodhen. In such a blend, most stags normally comes out white legged. Keeping in mind that both parents are pre dominantly dark legged and white legged, respectively.

Post Thanks / Like

Blue legged fowls are white skinned. Presence of dermal melanin in the outer layer of shank skin in white deep layer of skin will give blue leg. If the deep layer of skin is yellow, will give green legged fowls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lexlavin32
    Blue legged female offspring are a blend of dark legged broodcock & white legged broodhen. In such a blend, most stags normally comes out white legged. Keeping in mind that both parents are pre dominantly dark legged and white legged, respectively.

Agree. Sex-linked. But how about this one sir lex? I've been using my 3x lemon broodcock for sometime now paired with mostly white or yellow legged hens and their offsprings are uniform in colors of feathers and leg. However, when I mated him with my albany roundhead hen (has no trace of dark legged of the ancestors) produced only one dark legged out of 9 chicks and it happened to be a pullet later. If it is sex-linked, does it mean that my lemon is carrying a dark legged from his ancestor? Was this pullet a throwback

Anybody can give input on my question.....

redzone

Quote Originally Posted by OREVON
    Agree. Sex-linked. But how about this one sir lex? I've been using my 3x lemon broodcock for sometime now paired with mostly white or yellow legged hens and their offsprings are uniform in colors of feathers and leg. However, when I mated him with my albany roundhead hen (has no trace of dark legged of the ancestors) produced only one dark legged out of 9 chicks and it happened to be a pullet later. If it is sex-linked, does it mean that my lemon is carrying a dark legged from his ancestor? Was this pullet a throwback

..aren't lemons known to be carring hatch (green legged) blood?...redzone...

Post Thanks / Like

sir as i know.lemon carry hatch blood a dark legged. so maybe this is a throwback.

Post Thanks / Like

OREVON, first and foremost, if your broodstock are not pure or heavily inbreed, you can hardly get uniform offspring in terms of looks and fighting abilities. Your LEMON, tough a battle cross of several bloodlines, must've been an inbreed fowl from one reliable source and the hens (wl/yl) you crossed with him must`ve been straight breed too, if they are not "pure and you got better result. LEMON, gl or yl came from crosses of Hatch-Butcher-Claret, bred to conform the yellow legged Hulsey Lemon and if breed too tight may produce green legged offspring because of its ancestry... HATCH. Crossing your Lemon broodcock to another multi-crosses Albany-Roundhead may produce outstanding battle cocks but conformity is absolutely GOK until and unless you go bro-sis inbreeding of of offspring and maybe you will have conformity at 4th generation or deeper.

Regards...

Last edited by lexlavin32; January 7th, 2009 at 11:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

OREVON, first and foremost, if your broodstock are not pure or heavily inbreed, you can hardly get uniform offspring in terms of looks and fighting abilities. Your LEMON, tough a battle cross of several bloodlines, must've been an inbreed fowl from one reliable source and the hens (wl/yl) you crossed with him must`ve been straight breed too, if they are not "pure and you got better result. LEMON, gl or yl came from crosses of Hatch-Butcher-Claret, bred to conform the yellow legged Hulsey Lemon and if breed too tight may produce green legged offspring because of its ancestry... HATCH. Crossing your Lemon broodcock to another multi-crosses Albany-Roundhead may produce outstanding battle cocks but conformity is absolutely GOK until and unless you go bro-sis inbreeding of of offspring and maybe you will have conformity at 4th generation or deeper.

Regards...

Thanks. Appreciate your reply.

Best Regards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bajaexplor
    Amigos,

As we all know, Most contemporary lines are not really pure. the Great breeder like Mr. Hatch and Mr. Kelso, for example, combined different strains of fowl and created their own
    historical lines. We know these as hatch and Kelso.

Genetics are a funny thing ! Sometimes a Line like Kelso which are bred to a standard that produces White Leg fowl or Yellow leg fowl will produce a Blue Legged stag or pullet. It is simply because there is a chromosone for this in their DNA. It pops up on occasion!

The Chromosone in the DNA Chain can be mapped in fowl. It just hasn't been done in fowl as yet. I also breed Labrador retrievers and it has been done in this dog breed. You can send a sample and get a report to see if an animal is factored for yellow for example rather than the base color of black !

Hope this helps a little ! I understand it better than I can explain it !

Saludos,

Baja
    this is a result(throwback) of red white leg butcher bc x red dark legged kelso hatch bh
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

pure jj kelso blue legged

Post Thanks / Like

A beginners Question :

What Do you mean by DARK legged? is It Blue,Green or Black?

Thank you So much.

Post Thanks / Like

sharing to you a picture of a blue legged butcher hen from Paeng Araneta.

Last edited by west wing; January 12th, 2009 at 09:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BisayaKoBai
    A beginners Question :

What Do you mean by DARK legged? is It Blue,Green or Black?

Thank you So much.
    yes.

redzone

...it is a known fact that mr hatch used "kerney whitehackle and green legged thompsons" in the make of his hatch fowl...why would blue legs in any hatch family be a surprise?...redzone...

redzone

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the picture of my blue legged lemon albany.

The father is a yellow legged cecil lemon while the mother is a yellow legged Albany. Tracing the blood lines, there is an infusion of a small percentage of Cecil Hatch blood on the father side.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...890048861l.jpg

look at her full sister:

Last edited by OREVON; February 8th, 2009 at 11:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Look at this green legged hen:

the father is a green legged blueface

the mother is a yellow legged grey
    Last edited by OREVON; February 8th, 2009 at 11:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emplong
    as i know sir. maybe i was wrong here.i dont know the opinion or experience of others. blue legs are came from the combination of parent. maybe the one is green or dark legged and the other is white legged. most probably ur friend was right that he claimd that his rooster is a hatch. but may be a result of a hatch and other bloodline wc is white leg like clarets, RH, etc. anything who are WL. try to popst here the pics sir. so that our fellow cockers tell their opinion or analysis sir.
    yap.... Green Legs + White Legs = Blue Legs

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the picture of my blue legged lemon albany.

The father is a yellow legged cecil lemon while the mother is a yellow legged Albany. Tracing the blood lines, there is an infusion of a small percentage of Cecil Hatch blood on the father side.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...890048861l.jpg

look at her full sister:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...343760997l.jpg

Nice looking HENS you got there OREVON. Since your broodcock was a multi- cross (Cecil-Lemon), he has thrown mixed leg color pullets (blue & yellow). If you have really traced the ancestry your broodcock having the blood of the Cecil Hatch esp that of Alex Montelibano's, you will get blue legged pullets. Most of AM's Cecil Hatches are Blue Legged.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking HENS you got there OREVON. Since your broodcock was a multi- cross (Cecil-Lemon), he has thrown mixed leg color pullets (blue & yellow). If you have really traced the ancestry your broodcock having the blood of the Cecil Hatch esp that of Alex Montelibano's, you will get blue legged pullets. Most of AM's Cecil Hatches are Blue Legged.

Thanks sir lex. I believe so because my broodcock is from Negros and sometimes they originate only from one source.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks sir lex. I believe so because my broodcock is from Negros and sometimes they originate only from one source.
    OREVON, Yes... those Cecil Hatches were absolutely great. Very famous during the 70s, 80s & 90s. Even now great blood stock to start with. As base blood, it has competed well against other great Hatches of Harold Brown, Billy Rubles, Larry Powell & Bob Howard.

Last edited by lexlavin32; February 8th, 2009 at 07:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountain view
    those blue leg kelso hens are some beauties. Station, football bodies, long necks and tails.

the turquoise color of their legs is unique.

Post Thanks / Like

Lexlavin is correct. I always get White legged stags and blue legged pullets breeding my Blueface Hatch (green legged) to my Cecil Davis Kelso hen (White legged).

Here are two old photos:
    http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...0Image0116.jpg
    http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...0Image0109.jpg
    Last edited by Engkanto; March 14th, 2009 at 10:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

up up up......bump bump bump

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Engkanto
    Lexlavin is correct. I always get White legged stags and blue legged pullets breeding my Blueface Hatch (green legged) to my Cecil Davis Kelso hen (White legged).

Here are two old photos:
    http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...0Image0116.jpg
    http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...0Image0109.jpg
    You have great produce Engkanto. I think you also get some yellow legged stags from this cross, please correct if I'm wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Broodcock - Blueface - Cecil Hatch cross (strain developed by Virgin Maya Farm - Negros)

CROSSED WITH:

Albany-Dan Gray RH broodhen

Offsprings:
    Stags - wine red light yellow legs

Pullets - red dark legged