Thread: Koopman Blues

Post Thanks / Like

Koopman Blues

Does anyone have the history of the Koopman Blues???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Koopman Blues

i know a little but not much as you know they are toppies.the toppie blood in them came from the old time shawl necks . the barkely shawls were toppies as charlie brown berd the toppie out of his.

Post Thanks / Like

But the shawls were not blue right? I wonder what type blue were bred in them. They seem to be good for LK fights as they break high. Has anyone experienced using them in the LK?

Post Thanks / Like

I am also interested in any info on these birds, as one of my partners ordered some of these, he ordered a hen, and she has already thrown out some good looking stags last year that look very promising. He crossed her to a 1x winner blue of my grandpas bloodline. These stags fight good, very smart, fast on their feet, but relatively no bottom to them. They came in the dark blue variety.

Post Thanks / Like

i raise the koopmans and have done very well with them and to contrary belief these were bred by a man named ross cole of indiana the ones i am raising have been bred towards american show quality are game as any thing youd want and can go any distance with much bottom also show well in mexican shows and a few have been sent tpo the pi with no word back yet but they will show in the end of our summer i beleive i think the toppy int hem was an irish pyle as the cam etoppy and the most original color or the koopmans were pyle but through inbreeding the now come a variety of colors they were also infuse i believe wihth hatch and mabye a black red blood like mug to obtain the darkers isde that these come but the history of the koopmans is not an easy thing to come by not many that new ross is still alive but there are a few left here in indiana

chickenman86ky

Quote Originally Posted by josato
    Does anyone have the history of the Koopman Blues???
    My good friend Micoonhunter raises these and says they are great for the lk. They come 100% pyle color or they are not 100% pure. If you look them up in history. They do come 100% toppie or there not pure. They are great cutter, high flyers and very fast fowl!! But the pure pyle toppie koopman's doesnt havent much bottom at all. They are perfect for lk. I was gonna get some but he told me you need to cross them for gaff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chickenman86ky
    My good friend Micoonhunter raises these and says they are great for the lk. They come 100% pyle color or they are not 100% pure. If you look them up in history. They do come 100% toppie or there not pure. They are great cutter, high flyers and very fast fowl!! But the pure pyle toppie koopman's doesnt havent much bottom at all. They are perfect for lk. I was gonna get some but he told me you need to cross them for gaff.
    well ask your good freind why his come str8 comb when the koopmans are a true pea head family guess he didnt get that part when he bought his and started pushing the history of 100% this and that mine have been traced right here in indiana back to rosses yard by the indiana game breeders association adn i can tell you awith a level of certainty that they do not come a 100% pyle 100% toppy lol even most pure toppy families dont come a 100% toppy unless its like a polish family but there are exceptions i can get you a guys number here in indiana his dady fought with ross int he barns of the old day here int he states and he never fought a PURE koopman as if there is such a thing since he made them period they were not pure to him simply his blues today i call mine pure ross cole koopman toppy becuase they are as pure as when came from ross that is to say no new blood

Post Thanks / Like

Ross and his Brother Bob raised the Koopman blues for years. They were also part of the family of blues that made the Murtishaw Blues sold by Lowell Reed of Missouri. They were made by a man named Koopman (hence the name Koopman). They do come both toppy and clean headed. They were also straight combed fowl along with the peacomb. And they will come Pyle colored along with the blue... I rememeber seeing them at Mr. Jack Kasey when were small kids. He got his direct and matter of fact he was the man who sold Mr. Koopman a grey cock that Koopman added to his fowl. That was way back in the 20's or 30's that he sold the grey cock at a hack fight when Mr. Koopman seen Kasey fight him for the umpteenth time. And he offered Mr. Kasey 75 dollars which was a fortune for a young man back then. Kasey told dad he practically threw the rooster at Mr. Koopman. LOL..
    Last edited by irishcutt; June 1st, 2009 at 07:25 AM.

mikesmith

ive seen a couple fight and most did good

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the history Irishcutt. The only reason why I asked is when sparred they seem to be geared for the long knife as they break high. Anyone out there with pictures? Let me know as well if there are breeders out that sells this particular breed.

Post Thanks / Like

The Break High Myth in the LK

Quote Originally Posted by josato
    ... The only reason why I asked is when sparred they seem to be geared for the long knife as they break high....

High-breakers are good if the opponent breaks as well as it becomes a contest of which cock could hit the lights and top the other one, assuming both cocks got equal cutting ability. It is precisely this trend of preferring high flyers among LK breeders that I breed smart off-beat non-breaking cocks. At hacks I prefer getting matched with high-flying beautiful long feathered sweaters, clarets, greys and hatches. What comes up must come down. The higher they fly, the harder they come down. The asil/jap grades pictured below are multi-winners against high flyers. One was pitted against a supposedly ace multi-winner Joe Goode Grey. I remember the fight very well because the handler was very confident and cocky in and outside the ring before the fight, bragging that his cock is a "Joo Gud" lol and is itching for his 5th victim. In the ring when we were getting ready to release he gave me and my "ugly" grade the cross gesture with his left hand while holding his ace with the other hand, then removed the cover of his cock's long knife and threw away to my corner. What a character lol. I of course kicked back the cover back to his corner lol. Upon release his Joo Gud came running while mine just walked slowly heads up and eyes locked in to the oppenent. Then at three feet apart my grade faked a break which sent Joo Gud almost to the lights while mine stayed on the ground positioning himself on the back of the airborne Joo Gud. I must give it to Joo Gud though, for in the middle of his flight he changed direction like a helicopter to drop a shot at my grade. If my grade wasn't alert, he would have been hacked by that five-some pounder ace with the force from an eight-foot drop. But my grade is fast on his feet on the ground so he was able to position himself better. My grades like to hit below the wing so Joo Gud with his fancy flight came down to a four-inch knife stapped to a stretched foot of a calculating grade. That's all it took.

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/t...AsilxBlack.jpg

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC_1712.jpg

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC_1750.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Break High Myth in the LK

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdGen
    High-breakers are good if the opponent breaks as well as it becomes a contest of which cock could hit the lights and top the other one, assuming both cocks got equal cutting ability. It is precisely this trend of preferring high flyers among LK breeders that I breed smart off-beat non-breaking cocks. At hacks I prefer getting matched with high-flying beautiful long feathered sweaters, clarets, greys and hatches. What comes up must come down. The higher they fly, the harder they come down. The asil/jap grades pictured below are multi-winners against high flyers. One was pitted against a supposedly ace multi-winner Joe Goode Grey. I remember the fight very well because the handler was very confident and cocky in and outside the ring before the fight, bragging that his cock is a "Joo Gud" lol and is itching for his 5th victim. In the ring when we were getting ready to release he gave me and my "ugly" grade the cross gesture with his left hand while holding his ace with the other hand, then removed the cover of his cock's long knife and threw away to my corner. What a character lol. I of course kicked back the cover back to his corner lol. Upon release his Joo Gud came running while mine just walked slowly heads up and eyes locked in to the oppenent. Then at three feet apart my grade faked a break which sent Joo Gud almost to the lights while mine stayed on the ground positioning himself on the back of the airborne Joo Gud. I must give it to Joo Gud though, for in the middle of his flight he changed direction like a helicopter to drop a shot at my grade. If my grade wasn't alert, he would have been hacked by that five-some pounder ace with the force from an eight-foot drop. But my grade is fast on his feet on the ground so he was able to position himself better. My grades like to hit below the wing so Joo Gud with his fancy flight came down to a four-inch knife stapped to a stretched foot of a calculating grade. That's all it took.

he is very beautiful asil grade...i can feel his power by his looks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irishcutt
    Ross and his Brother Bob raised the Koopman blues for years. They were also part of the family of blues that made the Murtishaw Blues sold by Lowell Reed of Missouri. They were made by a man named Koopman (hence the name Koopman). They do come both toppy and clean headed. They were also straight combed fowl along with the peacomb. And they will come Pyle colored along with the blue... I rememeber seeing them at Mr. Jack Kasey when were small kids. He got his direct and matter of fact he was the man who sold Mr. Koopman a grey cock that Koopman added to his fowl. That was way back in the 20's or 30's that he sold the grey cock at a hack fight when Mr. Koopman seen Kasey fight him for the umpteenth time. And he offered Mr. Kasey 75 dollars which was a fortune for a young man back then. Kasey told dad he practically threw the rooster at Mr. Koopman. LOL..
    I'm sorry for bringing up an old post but I just noticed this thread and I thought I'd comment on your post Irishcutt. If I'm not mistaken the Murtishaw Blues are an older strain of Blues than the Koopman Blues are so you may have it backwards a bit when saying Koopman Blues went into breeding the Murtishaws. Murtishaw Blues are a 3 way cross of Earl of Derby, English Pyle and English Blue Dun. The history of the Murtishaws was written in Grit & Steel about 25-26 years ago by Mr. Ken Kincannon.

Mr. L. T. Reed passed away in 1974 and you are correct that he was selling the Murtishaw Blues but he wasn't the originator as the Murtishaws came to America from England in the 1800's.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any pictures or links to pictures of the Murtishaw Blues?

cockfighter_199

Re: The Break High Myth in the LK

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdGen

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/t...AsilxBlack.jpg

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC_1750.jpg
    nice birds