Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marking chickens

rancor3026

Exclamation Marking chickens

I am new to this soprt and new to this site. I have had my birds the last four years and was always confronted with questions from my friends in Seattle about how my roosters are unmarked. Then I was told that marks can be a form of a cut on the chickens web, or a punch on the toe web. I am confused because if I have different kinds of breed how will I exactly know which breed is it. I guess my confusion comes from the fact that if I have a breed of a RH and mark the offspring on the left toe and then another breed of say sweater, and still put the toe punch on the left toe web, how will I know which one is sweater and which one is RH. I did not asked any further because I feel stupid not knowing . I have a few breeds which I think needs markings but how will I start? Does anyone have a chart of toe punch markings? If I have 8 different breeds, can I mark all on the left or right toe web. Please help!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marking chickens

I have many breeds and my markings got so confusing because after while there tend to be marking duplications. Like you said, you have about 8 different breeds. That is okay. The problem starts when you have 3 families of each breed (and in your case you end up with 8 x 3 = 24 markings because the marking should identify which Roundhead family and which Sweater family, which breed is on the cock and hen side? Then, you end up with 8 x 3 = 24 x 2 = 48 markings. Ayyyyyyyyyy.

To save me from going crazy (or add to my craziness), I use the Excel Spreadsheet.

My gosh I really need help.

Post Thanks / Like

The markings are made on the webs (skin) between the chicken's toes. You can make these markings by either cutting a v-shaped notch in the web(s) with a sharp pair of small scissors or by using a chick toe punch tool which is similar to a leather punch. You can buy toe punch tools on ebay.com or from most any poultry supply dealer. Toe punch tools are by far the best and easiest method for web marking.

Web markings should be done as soon as the webs are dry after chicks are hatched. The purpose for web markings is so that you can identify or pedigree each chick as to which cock and hen or which brood pen the chick is out of. There are 15 possible web combinations that you can use. For example, you could toe punch or mark all chicks from brood pen #1 as (in left) and all chicks from brood pen #2 as (both right) and all chicks from brood pen #3 as (in right & out left) etc.... Check all web marks after about the 3rd or 4th day as some web marks may scab over and you will have to remark or repunch. It is also a good idea to wing band each individual when they are about 8 to 10 weeks old. Wing bands come in different colors and in sequenced numbers. Wing bands are used as an individual identity tool. Cocks or hens from different years might have the same toe or web markings. The wing bands will help you identify which cocks and hens are from which year as well as identify each individual from the same brood pen or clutch in the same year.

Of course all of this will be for nothing if you don't keep accurate and detailed records. Document each chick you toe punch or wing band at the moment the chick is marked or banded. NEVER rely on memory when it comes to keeping records.
    Last edited by High Noon; April 17th, 2009 at 07:55 AM.

bsecreto

Even though i am just a backyard breeder i also had a problem distinguishing what breeds i have so i culled and just kept my broodstock n marked them.. From there i bought mini ties of different colors so that each broodcock n broodhen will have its own color then i just tie the chicks with 2 mini ties from which parents it came from until they get big enough for a leg or wing band.This is much easier for a smalltime breeder. In my opinion if u alredy have stags that you are not sure of put them through selection n test them in the pits... But in order to stop further confusion just start over n mark them right... Good luck sir especially if u have alot of offsprings already..... :-)

Post Thanks / Like

RANCOR,
    You mark to IDENTIFY. This is not some kind of mark that looks good on chickens. There are over 60 combinations if you would just poke a hole on the web and if you use clippings like the v shape cut you are talking about, you more than triple the combinations. The cue there is good record keeping. Makes it easier now with computers.
    Now, with your statement of using the same mark on 2 different breeds. Dont mark the same. With the multiple combinations of markingss, why would you??

Al

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by High Noon
    The markings are made on the webs (skin) between the chicken's toes. You can make these markings by either cutting a v-shaped notch in the web(s) with a sharp pair of small scissors or by using a chick toe punch tool which is similar to a leather punch. You can buy toe punch tools on ebay.com or from most any poultry supply dealer. Toe punch tools are by far the best and easiest method for web marking.

Web markings should be done as soon as the webs are dry after chicks are hatched. The purpose for web markings is so that you can identify or pedigree each chick as to which cock and hen or which brood pen the chick is out of. There are 15 possible web combinations that you can use. For example, you could toe punch or mark all chicks from brood pen #1 as (in left) and all chicks from brood pen #2 as (both right) and all chicks from brood pen #3 as (in right & out left) etc.... Check all web marks after about the 3rd or 4th day as some web marks may scab over and you will have to remark or repunch. It is also a good idea to wing band each individual when they are about 8 to 10 weeks old. Wing bands come in different colors and in sequenced numbers. Wing bands are used as an individual identity tool. Cocks or hens from different years might have the same toe or web markings. The wing bands will help you identify which cocks and hens are from which year as well as identify each individual from the same brood pen or clutch in the same year.

Of course all of this will be for nothing if you don't keep accurate and detailed records. Document each chick you toe punch or wing band at the moment the chick is marked or banded. NEVER rely on memory when it comes to keeping records.

alright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rancor3026

High noon, let me clarify; markings are being done right after the webs are dry after it is hatched? Is this like a few hours after it is hatched or a few days? Some say after one month but I don't really know what is more effective for the chicks. Can you please elaborate?

rancor3026

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock96
    RANCOR,
    You mark to IDENTIFY. This is not some kind of mark that looks good on chickens. There are over 60 combinations if you would just poke a hole on the web and if you use clippings like the v shape cut you are talking about, you more than triple the combinations. The cue there is good record keeping. Makes it easier now with computers.
    Now, with your statement of using the same mark on 2 different breeds. Dont mark the same. With the multiple combinations of markingss, why would you??

Al
    Al, can you send me a chart of this 60 combinations. Right now I am still groping in the dark. If you will send me the combinations, it will really help me manage the markings. I do not want to start with the wrong foot.

Post Thanks / Like

Rancor or to all of us, we can share our marking listings whether they are manual or computerized. I would like to improve my current markings. Just PM and give me your email and I will send the excel file.

Old dogs like me can still learn new tricks....

Post Thanks / Like

This is the way I mark: four webs on two feet OK... remember 8, 4 on left foot and 2, 1 on right foot. Pen #1 is right out, pen #2 is right in. pen# 8 is left out and pen# 4 is left in. now you can make any combinations of these by adding up to 15 then use nose marks in combination to make 60 marks. Example= #3 pen you add 1 and 2 thus right in and right out = #3. #4 is left in, #5 is left in and right out ,(4+1). #6 is In and In(4+2), #7 is 3+4 which would be both right and left in (1+2+4)..got it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Everett
    This is the way I mark: four webs on two feet OK... remember 8, 4 on left foot and 2, 1 on right foot. Pen #1 is right out, pen #2 is right in. pen# 8 is left out and pen# 4 is left in. now you can make any combinations of these by adding up to 15 then use nose marks in combination to make 60 marks. Example= #3 pen you add 1 and 2 thus right in and right out = #3. #4 is left in, #5 is left in and right out ,(4+1). #6 is In and In(4+2), #7 is 3+4 which would be both right and left in (1+2+4)..got it?
    Sorry, I do not mark by pen # (because pen numbering also changes). I mark by breed and it is important to me which is the cock and hen side. And, also I like to mark to show it is a 3-way cross.

For example, we have 10 breeds and 2 to 3 families for each breed. We also have a 2-way cross x 2-way cross breeding. How would you mark them?

rancor3026

Quote Originally Posted by EAA Indians
    Rancor or to all of us, we can share our marking listings whether they are manual or computerized. I would like to improve my current markings. Just PM and give me your email and I will send the excel file.

Old dogs like me can still learn new tricks....
    Please send to spartanlegionmmiiii@hotmail.com .
    Thanks a lot for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Pen, Breed.. it doesn't make any difference. Do you mark all of your's of one Breed the same even if they are from different matings? This way one can just look at the number and know what he is, don't have to remember each mark. But each to his own, just easier for me this way.

Post Thanks / Like

This toe punch chart might help, combinations can be increased further by application of web slits and nose markings

http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Toe_Punch_Chart.html

Post Thanks / Like

Webs are very soft and will easily tear or rip in the first few hours after hatching. Web markings should be done as soon as the webs are completely dry which will be about 8 to 12 hours after hatching. It is very important to take care that chicks from one pen or setting do not get mixed up with chicks from another pen or setting prior to being web marked. Once all webs have been marked, you can then put all your chicks together if you like.

If there is any mix-up or doubt about a chick or chicks parentage prior to toe web marking, the best thing to do is simply don't mark that chick or chicks. NEVER guess!

For the record, one of the best fighting roosters that I ever bred, raised or owned was a stag that got mixed up during hatching. This particular stag somehow escaped his nest box during hatching and was out running around with two other chicks that had escaped their next boxes. I knew for certain that this chick and the other two were out of one of two different brood hens and one of two different brood cocks. I just didn't know which hen or cock. I didn't mark any of the three. Two of the three turned out to be pullets. The other one turned out to be a 7 time winner. I got him killed in his eighth fight when I put him up against a 2 year old cock. I figured that I would never breed him since he wasn't marked so I fought him. He fought as hard and died as game as any rooster I ever handled in a pit. It was his 4th fight of the day. He was an 11 month old stag and I was a 24 year old idiot. That was many years ago. I learned two valuable lessons that day: Always make your nest boxes escape proof during hatching & NEVER fight a stag more than three times in one day - especially against a fresh cock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bsecreto
    Even though i am just a backyard breeder i also had a problem distinguishing what breeds i have so i culled and just kept my broodstock n marked them.. From there i bought mini ties of different colors so that each broodcock n broodhen will have its own color then i just tie the chicks with 2 mini ties from which parents it came from until they get big enough for a leg or wing band.This is much easier for a smalltime breeder. In my opinion if u alredy have stags that you are not sure of put them through selection n test them in the pits... But in order to stop further confusion just start over n mark them right... Good luck sir especially if u have alot of offsprings already..... :-)

bsecreto,

bro where did you purchase mini ties in different colors is that available in PI? did you used this to your chicks if so in what age you apply? and also im worried this mini ties maybe can harm to our chicks?

i want to apply your procedure of marking by using different colors of mini ties in my chicks however i need you confirmation so pls share your experienced in marking to our chicks especially your marking method.

customize

Post Thanks / Like

while I dont have many families, I do make quite a few matings(single) , I not only use toe markings but also nostril as well , mostly to denote a cross as its very easy to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by customize
    bsecreto,

bro where did you purchase mini ties in different colors is that available in PI? did you used this to your chicks if so in what age you apply? and also im worried this mini ties maybe can harm to our chicks?

i want to apply your procedure of marking by using different colors of mini ties in my chicks however i need you confirmation so pls share your experienced in marking to our chicks especially your marking method.

customize
    My staff purchased the mini ties in Divisoria. I will let you where.

The chicks grow so fast and their legs get bigger so fast that you have to make sure that the ties are loose and NOT restricting blood circulation or the legs will die.

You have to keep replacing the ties and they come in different sizes.

Colored wires. We use the colored wires for radio and computer and you can re use and re adjust to a loose fit.

good luck.......ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EAA Indians
    My staff purchased the mini ties in Divisoria. I will let you where.

The chicks grow so fast and their legs get bigger so fast that you have to make sure that the ties are loose and NOT restricting blood circulation or the legs will die.

You have to keep replacing the ties and they come in different sizes.

Colored wires. We use the colored wires for radio and computer and you can re use and re adjust to a loose fit.

good luck.......ed

EAA,

I saw this colored wires in the market normally used in electronic items im sure its available in my place thanks for your brilliant ideas using this colored wire for marking purpose to our chicks.

I will apply this method thanks again bro..

customize

Post Thanks / Like

i mark this way.... just like you read a book from left to right....

left out punch = 1h
    left out cut = 1c
    left in punch = 2h
    left in cut = 2c
    right in punch = 3h
    right in cut = 3c
    right out punch = 4h
    right out cut = 4c
    some cut tip of toes=left foot you 123 = 1coff = left outside toe
    some cut tip of toes=left foot you 456 = 4coff
    right nose mark =rn
    left nose mark =ln

my reason to do this is no confusion at all some times when marking right left out?
    1h3c= left out punch and right in cut.....

i have been doing this for 20 years now.....

hope this helps.....

cigar
    Last edited by CIGAR; April 18th, 2009 at 02:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CIGAR
    i mark this way.... just like you read a book from left to right....

left out punch = 1h
    left out cut = 1c
    left in punch = 2h
    left in cut = 2c
    right in punch = 3h
    right in cut = 3c
    right out punch = 4h
    right out cut = 4c
    some cut tip of toes=left foot you 123 = 1coff = left outside toe
    some cut tip of toes=left foot you 456 = 4coff
    right nose mark =rn
    left nose mark =ln

my reason to do this is no confusion at all some times when marking right left out?
    1h3c= left out punch and right in cut.....

i have been doing this for 20 years now.....

hope this helps.....

cigar
    Cigar...My farm helpers have Masters and Phd degrees (hehehe) and would find your markings too simple.

In Pinas, they love to make things complicated and complex.

thanks.....ed

Post Thanks / Like

well ed.... im a simple man.... easy the better way i look at it..... hehehe.... women same... i mean.... hehehe...

cigar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CIGAR
    well ed.... im a simple man.... easy the better way i look at it..... hehehe.... women same... i mean.... hehehe...

cigar
    Come think of it, I never considered women as my farm helpers. There are plenty of unemployed Club girls and maybe they will do a better job in breeding program....hehehehe and I can have some fringe benefits to boot...hehehehehe.

Post Thanks / Like

ed another reason i used this method was back when i was younger and had a little to much wiskey i could allways go from left to right by numbers vs left or right.....

those wiskey days have since gone however replaced by beer.... hehehe.....

cigar

rancor3026

Quote Originally Posted by Rigolleto
    This toe punch chart might help, combinations can be increased further by application of web slits and nose markings

http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Toe_Punch_Chart.html
    Bro, your toe punch chart is very helpful. Now I have a visual of how it looks. Thank you very much, Muchas gracias! Salamat po!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rancor3026
    Bro, your toe punch chart is very helpful. Now I have a visual of how it looks. Thank you very much, Muchas gracias! Salamat po!

No problem, GOOD LUCK on your breeding, more wins to come!!!

bsecreto

Quote Originally Posted by customize
    bsecreto,

customize
    I actually bought mines in Home Depot in US and sent it to PI.... look in the lighting system area because thats what they use to tie up loose cords. I make sure I have my handler watch the chicks and tie them carefully so that they are not restricted. It is also not expensive, I bought 100 of each color of 8 colors and spent around 30 dollars. Good luck sir

Post Thanks / Like

i posted the 60 or so combinations here....

http://sabong.net.ph/forum/showthrea...70#post1922670

rancor3026

All post in this thread has really given insights and information. And one of the valuable information I learned was doing the web markings 8 to 12 hours after the chicks hatched when webs are completely dry. I am not saying that the other information were not valuable because they all are as valuable. This coming May I am breeding newly acquired birds and will start marking the birds in ways that I have learned here. I have already designed a form in excel spreadsheet as suggested in this forum which is a lot better than the record book sold for over $9.00. Please continue providing any valuable information that ypu may have missed because every information no matter how small is priceless.

rancor3026

As soon as the toe punch is applied what kind of medication should be applied? Do you use alcohol or just a simple antibiotic ointment?