Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Carr

Post Thanks / Like

Charlie Carr

does anyone have experience dealing with charlie carr? purchasing either roosters, brood fowl, or chicks/eggs? please share your experiences here. has anyone been to his farm?
    considering a trip to alabama late this year, and thinking about visiting a few farms within a general area. his could be one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Charlie Carr

in the year 1993 i bought a mclean cock from him-($500) which was a lot at that time. the cock proved to be a good one and that has been my experience.....

Post Thanks / Like

redbreeder-thank you for the reply! anyone else have experience dealing with him?

Post Thanks / Like

My friend had ourchased some greys from Charlie about 8 years ago. He liked them crossed on Mclean, Roundhead, and Murphy Whitehackle.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Charlie Carr

a friend of mines bought a dozen grey/roundheads from him about 10 years ago. he said that about half were good and the other half wasnt. not saying that the man is a crook but just my friends opinion on the fowl. like they say different strokes for different folks. cant please everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

more inputs plss.....

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to hear from someone who got some Albany's from this Albany man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silver2dmoon
    Can't wait to hear from someone who got some Albany's from this Albany man.
    I got a kelso last 10 years ago.. and they are fast chicken.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the early 90's we purchased three trios of brownreds,mugs,and greys from Charlie.We did real well with the brownreds pure in the longknife and showed alot of them at SpringBrook.The greys were not the best pure but crosed on blueface they made decent gaff roosters.The mugs were terrible and we got rid of them the second year.They would run as two year old cocks sparring with sparring muffs on.

Post Thanks / Like

this is good input guys, thanks for what's been posted so far! anybody else have anything?

Post Thanks / Like

we had a mug from him once. Paid 500 for him. Kept him until 3 yrs old he never would show at another rooster so we culled him. Was told by someone who lives close to him when he gets order for chicken he will go around trying to buy one that looks like what he has order for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by springwater
    we had a mug from him once. Paid 500 for him. Kept him until 3 yrs old he never would show at another rooster so we culled him. Was told by someone who lives close to him when he gets order for chicken he will go around trying to buy one that looks like what he has order for.
    I just hope this is false rumor.

Post Thanks / Like

wow two people saying his mugs weren't worth a crap so far. i'll keep that in mind!

Post Thanks / Like

His regular greys are extremly game but the need crossed,the greys had power and they broke well but they need some more cut in them,crossed them on Whitehackle and they made very good cutting powerful cutting cocks

Post Thanks / Like

i have had his roundheads for years.i like them a lot. got some of his albany last year very beautiful and very powerful.

Post Thanks / Like

My dad bought some of his McLean Back in the 90s when he lived in Arkansas and the offspring from them was not game when he contacted him about it he would not talk about it kept hanging up phone would never make it good. Just our experience with him.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never purchased anything direct from Charlie,but I called him once and we talked chickens for almost an hour.I had to stop the conversation to go to work(nights).However back in the 93 or so my partner bought some fowl from a guy getting out of the business.There were greys mostly,a couple reds and a very black str. comb rooster.The guy swore he got all the fowl direct via eggs from Charlie.The greys were good taking care of business american style.The reds were decent,not exceptional.The black we had to chase down to get the heels back ahahhahaahhah,sure looked pretty the first pitting but the second he decided he would rather be anywhere else.Again at best second hand,but i believed the guy.

Post Thanks / Like

I will say one thing the offspring all though not game was some cutting fools they just didn't want to be any part of getting it back. When my dad got rid of them he hacked the brood cock into a friend and yeah he ran also.

Post Thanks / Like

ok... not sayin its true... just saying a VERY VERY VERY VERY reliable person that USED to be friends with him told me he was a crook.. idk if when sabong messed up if it threw the old post out.. but look him up on here.. there used to be ALOT of complaints about him not shipping birds and when they did they sucked..

but!!! his friend that told me he was a crook said his brown and reds were the only decent birds he had....

not saying this is true cause ALL OF IT ****IS**** HEAR SAY!! but.. hear say normally is true when alot of people say it..

but.. don't let this be your decision on wether or not to buy birds from him.. just keep it in mind

Post Thanks / Like

thats very imbarrassing. I would have recordedit and sent him the video and asked him to watch for the bird he was headed his way.

Post Thanks / Like

i looked at some post on this mexican gamefowl site and a lot of people said his roosters were banded with other breeders farm like jerry adkins becuase he didnt have enough roosters he will buy them cheap but resell them at high prices.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rolando84 View Post
    i looked at some post on this mexican gamefowl site and a lot of people said his roosters were banded with other breeders farm like jerry adkins becuase he didnt have enough roosters he will buy them cheap but resell them at high prices.
    I was told that a guy called James River Farms and asked whos mugs were better his or Charley Carrs and the man told him he did not know that Charley had just left with several dozen eggs,But that is hearsay.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought brownred and grey eggs from him in the early to mid 90's. The brownreds were the size of turkeys so I discarded them. The greys were good game roosters but were pretty much 50% winners straight in the American Show down in AZ before it closed. Crossed they were a little better. Only issue I had is that we had a poor hatch and we have top notch hatching facilities. Charlie sent more eggs but he must have thought we were lying because he marked them with names like, walt disney, mickey mouse, and other cartoon characters so we never sat those eggs. Obviously, it was hard to trust him after that but i do believe that he probably has some decent chickens. It is just more a matter of if you get them or not.
    Last edited by chickengeorge; May 18th, 2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: errors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by point remove View Post
    My dad bought some of his McLean Back in the 90s when he lived in Arkansas and the offspring from them was not game when he contacted him about it he would not talk about it kept hanging up phone would never make it good. Just our experience with him.
    Yup, thats Charlie..nice guy before after he gets your money a total jerk same expierence with his mclean... had to dispose of the cock & the claret & kelso hens. I wonder if they were yard fowl no markings what so ever Afterwards, I began to ask around and the few I asked said to stay away from him a guy at Texoma said he was sent a pure pea comb mug from him lol
    Last edited by INCUBUS06; May 18th, 2011 at 12:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

between 1992and94 I bought half dozen battle fowl, they got lost in post office. I called Mr. Carr. I told him my birds got lost. I found them and they were dead! I asked for him to send me the same type fowl again. he had no more. what do you want? he asked. your money back? no i said. Can get a trio. yes he said.O.K. send a mixed trio. he said i'll send you all your choice close as i can get! ok send me a brownred brood cock, a bluemughen, and a brownredhen. he said ill send you my personal 5 time winner broodcock with those hen! ok send. but cock is quarter mclain. fine. I got them. No lie: i crossed each to a davey hurt gray. first batch won all in same day (played twice)8 or 9 months old against 2yr olds and against big boys big money california!-lost one on his second fight by a second! never needed anything else till my birds got stollen. bluemug/gray awesomeground birds! brownred/grays both air and ground. flew high came down rival needed rake to pickup his remnants! froom broodcock allround air and ground! those who know kaliman south central L>A> goturmoney!! hehehe
    Last edited by kaliman; March 13th, 2012 at 04:18 AM. Reason: cause I CAN

Post Thanks / Like

After trio was stollen I've been trying make same but wont happen again! one in a million i guess. investigated all in the retry and concluded that the davey hurt fowl currently(maybe not all) have been somewhat degraded. What i've now looks promising. also a threeway mix. I dont use any other way! Have too much money to your name and got good fowl(i like a challenge) come see KALIMAN! --southern California--I might be able to relieve you of your load! He he he I am atrue back yard breeder/player etc,..--All the negative comments here about mr Carr may or may not be true, but I know for a fact that 90 percent of you belong to other farms(sales/breeders whatever or you simply lost to him!) and no yo no soy carlos caro! soy de Quanaquato! old indian dialect for guanaguato!
    Last edited by kaliman; March 13th, 2012 at 04:49 AM. Reason: wont show all

Post Thanks / Like

A friend had his grays. when he talked to me about him he said that they were game and strong. he crossed them with his hatch. he also said "he sent me good grays, he's a peddler but somehow got his hands on good grays."
    thats what he told me. he had good wining % back when legal in az.

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased a pair of greys from Charlie back in 2003 or 2004. The cock was a very nice bird. The hen was pleasant to look at but never layed an egg. At the end of the day, I never ordered from him again. I expected more for the price I paid for the fowl and he was not what I would call a very good business person after the sale.

I had some Carr Greys from a gentleman named Luis from Texas that were awesome birds. Luis was selling out and the predators got my Luis greys, so I thought I would order some from Charlie.

If I were to ever want Carr Greys again, I would buy baby chicks from him but honestly, that will never happen.
    Last edited by Laborerkennels; March 13th, 2012 at 05:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read here somewhere the guy is a crook and peddler, and maybe he'll send you good birds! If I were you, I'll look somewhere else. Find a guy that did get the good stuff from him and see if he willing to let some go. If not take your your hard earned cash somewhere else! There are some very honest breeders out there like Bobby Payton, Dink Fair, Rat Graves, Bill Roberts, Sam Abbott, Carol Nesmith, etc. Just be patient and do alot of research! Sabong is a good source to find out who are the good and better breeders and who aren't. Just utilize the search category and you'll find out a lot about the breeder. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Me and a friend ordered a Red Richardson Butcher stag from Mr. Carr. Beautiful bird, strong, powerful shuffling and game as they come. Bred him over some WH hens. All were multi-time winners, bred him back to his daughters took a 4 stag derby solo. Very good fowl, very satisfied with them. No complaints.