what makes a mug and what is there normal color

jboi_3

Re: MARKS MUGS?

im thinking a golden orange hackle.
    and a orange feathered body.
    but their style is sort of wack.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: MARKS MUGS?

I don't know what makes up mugs but i've seen them in alot of different colors as far as the marks mugs go they are very beautifull fowl they are brown red in color with black face medium station and can fight i purchased 2 trios 2 years ago and im totally satisfied.

Post Thanks / Like

Most mugs looks like a Black crossed on Hatch although there are some that would look almost coal black with a black mask. Marks mugs are quite popular today. From what I've heard they are real game and are very fast. Hope this helps.

jboi_3

damn u guys must have some good mugs.
    but when i watch fights the mugs always lose .i guess its how their raised.

Post Thanks / Like

j

so when I win with a black I'll call it a Mel Sims and when I loose I'll say it was a mug. Most folks can't tell the difference in looks. remember the best bird in the world in the wrong hands is not worth a dime, but give a person with good hands a halfway decent good bred cock and it becomes an Ace. Keep going j your numbers are getting there soon I can see your avitar too.

jboi_3

ya but they say it is mugs but i guess they are just crappy raisers.

m.f
    u have some good inspiring words.thanks and keep it comin.
    im learning a lot from u

Post Thanks / Like

mudflop is marks mugs worth 1200 a trio pls shipping or 1000 even for a pair shipping included and dose any one know if marks mug is any relation to the racy mugs cause i have a racey mug allready

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know the makeup of John's mugs. But I do know they are in a demand now. I know someone that has two trios and is very happy with them. I saw him show some crossed on Kelso and they are hig flyers and super fast, almost like the old time Mcreas. This person has told me that the trios he got are worth the price he paid for. I still like the old Mcreas that Rich Torres raises as they go strait up and have extra power as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: MARKS MUGS?

Nothing can beat a good mug rooster, the only bird that can is a hatch/mug.

Post Thanks / Like

we have the this line for more than 5 yrs now and continue to give us good result in the pit. we fought 3 last feb(in hack) and they all won convincingly. they crossed well with ruble hatch and kelso in our experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: MARKS MUGS?

can any one tell me the blood composition of the mug and or the marks mug ive asked mark and he did not explan it very well it seemed that he did not want to say or something but then agian maby i was trippin i dont know so if any one can help pls do so thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Some breeders will not disclose the true blood quantum or how they made the family as a strain. I guess you need to continue to talk to John Marks and find out where he got his start from and what other blood he infused. All I know is they are hot right now. I'd love to have a pair and try crossing them on Sweater. From the looks of some of them they look like the old time Racey Mugs but I may be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by muscledean; May 11th, 2009 at 07:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by muscledean
    nice combination you for your mugs. beautiful and deadly!

Post Thanks / Like

i have been on his website and asked him on the phone and he didnt give me a stright answer so can any one tell me the blood compasition of a marks mug

Post Thanks / Like

in my opinion if he didnt give you a straight answer, then he wants to keep it a secret. why do you want to know the make-up of this line so badly anyway? bottom line is, if theyre good, theyre good.

Post Thanks / Like

I was told by someone else NOT JOHN that these muggs were loaded up with KENT MUGG blood.but i really dont know.but look at a pic of a pure kent mugg you can see the bloodlines look alike.
    Quote Originally Posted by lansford101
    i have been on his website and asked him on the phone and he didnt give me a stright answer so can any one tell me the blood compasition of a marks mug

cockfighter_199

you can get quail sized pairs for 200 which isnt bad does anyone have marks mugs

Post Thanks / Like

if you have picture of this fowl can you post them?

Post Thanks / Like

A freind of mine has raised mugs every since i was a kid. he had the aldrich mugs and the racey mugs. the aldrich mugs come brownred to a dirty red hackle. The racey mugs come anywhere from spangled white to coal black and any color blue in between. He thought he would try marks mugs. Whatever they are they looked nothing like the mugs i`ve seen. Some even came yellow spots on their leggs. I still have several pens of my friends mugs. Raise a few every year. They all come dark legged. Even the spangeled racey mugs.

Post Thanks / Like

Call bob clingerman if you want mugs he has some real good ones! 316-744-1385

Post Thanks / Like

I have bred Mark's Mug for American style of breeding and they are good. Very game and accurate birds with good speed. John won't discuss much about their background but told me they came from an older Texas breeder as John helped him with the birds from time to time. So when this older man become sick, he gave the blood to John.... John is a nice, Christian man and I have not heard of complaints yet. The Mug blood I got was strong and beautiful to look at. I have a very special hen I raised from the original trio in my brood pen now. She is very unusual in that as a pullet, she was black with white specks. As a two year old she was speckled with as much white as black and as now, her body is mostly black with a few white specs but her head and neck feathers are nearly all white with hardly any black at all. Her legs have changed from dark to nearly white. She is very dominant and spurred and will make a good brood hen. By most part, Mark's Mugs are typical in color with an occasional one coming very black. My original hens where solid black and the cock was a black breasted red with features similar to those pictured on his site. He told me the white in my hen was a rare throw back. In fact, he said I may raise hundreds and not get another one. If I remember correctly, the man that had the mugs before John also had a white strain of game fowl but I have no idea of what they where, so I can guess that maybe he crossed the two yards years ago and genetics will occasionally surface, I don't know this for sure and it may not be fact, just a possibility. Two years after my purchase, John called me to check on the birds, we had a really nice conversation. No breeder will do this unless he is confident in the ability of the birds he sent. I do not know the man personally except by three or four phone calls. I see no reason they would not breed well for the PI.

Post Thanks / Like

i got some mugs they are not marks mugs but they have won at every bit pit in the us a old man sells them near me he only raises mugs and chets he charges 400 each rooster or hen and sells every one he raises there game as you can get they all look the same very uniform marks seem look look dirrerent from one another

Post Thanks / Like

a version of the origin of mugs or mugwumps.

Aldrich Mugwumps

by Col. Alfred Aldrich (1919)

Referring to the orgin of the Mugwump strain of game fowl, I will say that back in the distant past there was a turfman and cock fighter of this state by the name of Col. Thomas G. Bacon who bred and pitted the most successful cocks of that age. His original stock came from John Stone, of Massachusetts. About the same time Major Burnett Rhett, of Charleston, S.C. bred and fought a strain B.B. Reds woh cocks' had the reputation, deservedly, of being the gamest cocks of their age.

I got a pair of Bacon fowl and a trio of Rhett's and crossed them and by selection produced a strain which I maned Mugwump. Mugwump is an Indian name and in the Algonquin language it means Big Chief.

About the year 1890 I crossed into my strain a B.B. red cock with yellow legs that I got from Baltimore. I do not know who bred this cock or what strain he came from. This cock was a spangle in his third year, a white at the fourht molting and remained white until his death. Before I bred any of his sons to a yard of my mugwump hens, I satisfied myself that he was a game cock.

The first and only one of his sons that I used as a brood cock was a black with yellow legs and beak, had a few white feathers in his tail and wings. I fount him in a main at Hibernia Park, Charleston, S.C., where a number of fine cocks fought in the two days of a main and the concensus of opinion was that he outclassed any cock shown on either side. He was a high flying cock and never tried to bill as long as his adversary could stand on his feet. In several of his fights, he killed opponents without ever touching hom with his mouth.

A

Post Thanks / Like

This is the hen I am referring to in my post above.... dwoodall, there may be some color variance Mark's blood, but the ability has proven consistent and game.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...r2006/Mug4.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...r2006/Mug3.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...r2006/Mug2.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...r2006/Mug1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

It was invariably my practice to breed from the best fighter of his year and never to breed from any cock until he had fought several battles, in order that I might determine his quality. I bred this black cock to a yard of my choicest pure Mugwumps hens and he sired several black stags and occasionally a white stag or pullet. From him I got my white and Black Mugwumps.Always the White and Black Mugwumps were bred exactly alike.

Note the staement that I ama bout to make, namely: that no Mugwump of the present day, no matter where he or she may be found, has any blood in its composition save what came from that black cock. He was the only son of the Baltimore cock that I bred from and I never used any of the daughters of the Baltimore cock for breeding purposes. If I used a son of the black cock he was invariably mated to pure Mugwump hens.

I once shipped a coop of five cocks to Sr. Bustamente, three reds, 1 black and 1 white, all brothers, and all acted alike in the pit.

In the foregoing I have given the orgin of the Mugwumps, as many of the cock fighters in the South know it be.

Post Thanks / Like

In conclusion I will say my main reason in giving you the foregoing information is that I have replied to many letters asking to find the purest Mugwump, to the effect that, in my judgment, your yards will come nearest filling the bill.

I also found an article adding a little more information to the one above.

Gus Frithiof, Sr.

Breeders of the "Old School" know that the Mugwumps were originated by Col. Alfred Aldrich about 90 or more years ago. They also knew that from time to time some whites would appear in the strain after Aldrich bred from s ason of the Baltimore cock. Andrew P. O'Connor of Baltimre, Maryland gave Aldrich this cock. The Baltimore cocks contained white bloodlines in his pedigree and eventually it shows up in the strain. Aldrich had his own reason for denying he knew where the cock came from (the breeder) or had forgotten when he wrote about their bloodlines in 1919.

I hope that this helps clear up the pedigree of the Mugwumps and why some of them can throw - back to the white color in them.

Gus Frithiof, Sr. Austin, Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Great post TIMEX.... Thanks

cockfighter_199

cmon guys i really need to know if its worth getting them from mark ive heard some bad on here about them but heard good also