Thread: Philippines' SABONGERO (Cockfighting) FILM" Goes To Cannes Film Festival

Post Thanks / Like

Philippines' SABONGERO (Cockfighting) FILM" Goes To Cannes Film Festival

RP ‘Sabong’ Goes to Cannes Festival

MANILA, Philippines—It was an auspicious e-mail. Returning from Easter Vigil Mass, New York-based Filipino filmmaker Janice Y. Perez checked her inbox and found a message that made her heart skip.
    “I saw these words in big letters: ‘See you in Cannes and welcome to the Short Film Corner,’” she told Inquirer in an e-mail interview.
    It was surprising, she said, especially since her short film, “Sabongero,” took a circuitous route to the premier world fest.
    Before she could shoot this dream project, many doors were closed for Perez. She even lost a grant because the script tackled cockfighting in her home province of Cebu, a pastime considered cruel by animal activists.
    Perez, an accountant by profession, remained steadfast. Three years ago, she had just come out of the New York Film Academy. In a 2006 forum hosted by the Independent Feature Project, she found her Eureka moment.
    “One of the panelists, filmmaker Dito Montiel, told the audience at Lincoln Center: ‘If you want to make your first feature, write a story you know nothing about. That will make you … want to get to know it more.’”
    Perez took that to heart. “I had zero knowledge on cockfighting before writing the script,” she said. And directing the film became a matter of “vanquishing my own doubts and fears.”

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Philippines' SABONGERO (Cockfighting) FILM" Goes To Cannes Film Festival

CONTINUATION...

She explained: “It allowed me to take a deeper look into an unfamiliar world. I [managed] to shed my prejudices. It doesn’t mean I’m advocating cockfighting now, but I no longer lambast it. It’s a great privilege to share this story with the world, [including] animal rights activists, so they can understand this cultural phenomenon.”

read more here....

http://www.dyaryoboy.com/cgi-bin/web....inquirer.net/