Thread: Farm Owners who live abroad (Satellite).....i salute you..........

Post Thanks / Like

Farm Owners who live abroad (Satellite).....i salute you..........

it's not easy owning a gamefarm...you have to be hands on with the day to day operations of your farm.....from breeding...health management.....maintenance.....conditioning.....ta king care of your caretakers.....etc.....

that's why i salute all the so called 'Satellite Owners" who are working or living abroad.....but still maintain their farm in PI.....it's definitely not easy.....with all the expense involved.....not to mention problems like thievery and untrustworthy people taking advantage of your absence and generosity..........

but we still keep on goin'.....all for the love and passion of our sport..........

MABUHAY PO KAYO !!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Farm Owners who live abroad (Satellite).....i salute you..........

i started this thread so that us satellite owners can share ideas...problems...solutions...and anything that we have in common while away from our farms.....

like in my case...i have a farm in Negros, but have not started breeding...although it would be easy for me to get quality materials here and send them home.....it's just too expensive and entail a lot of attention...and i don't know if i can completely trust and leave everything to my brother-in-law to run the daily operation of the farm.....

so for now what i do is everytime i'm scheduled to go home...to enjoy the sport...i buy battlecocks from a breeder friend months in advance.....and let my handler condition them just when i'm about to arrive....so they'll be ready for the several derbies we will be entering.....i know it's not the same as fighting your own birds......but once you buy them their yours anyway.....plus you condition them for the fight of their lives......so it's ok with us for now.......

so far this setup works for me just fine....till the day that i can go home and stay for longer periods of time and personally manage and enjoy the gratification of running my own farm.......

Post Thanks / Like

dbm, your method of dealing with the situation of having to manage from abroad sounds like the best scenario. I probably should have done it that way. There are just too many issues to deal with regarding trust and having your best interest in managing the farm and fowl from a distance (even with immediate family involved). I have been told by others that the worst culprits are family members making the problems more painful. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I am working abroad and simultaneously managing through phone a backyard gamefowl farm of my own in the Philippines. My wife acts as the supervisor of my farm who advises my handlers through my given instructions everyday. Her assistant are two of her nephew, one is a typical handler concentrating daily on farm chores, and one takes care of feeding my fowls including conditioning, which is being done a month before I come home. Recently, I hired additional handler to assist in everyday routine as my fowl are increasing largely because of the brood materials I purchased from the US started this season a full time breeding. I intend to move my farm in the next season to a 7-hectare farm lot in Occidental Mindoro to accommodate incoming offspring to be produced on the way forward.

So far, the operation of my little farm continues to be in the right way --thanks GOD and my gratitude goes to the untiring efforts of my wife. www.calvinjfarm.org
    Last edited by reli; May 17th, 2009 at 02:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have my Backyard Farm in PI and was still able to manage it in remote control system.I ring my Farm 3x a week and have to see to it that it was properly manage,Hands On..
    With regards to feeds i have it procured every start of the monht,the Farm hand have to prepare list of needed supplement/Feeds and their farm Food consumption and all are procured evry 1st of the monht.
    My feeds & supplement are paid every end of the Monht,i have some credit line establish w/ pacifica agrivet.
    I have my brother in law visit my farm evry week and my cousin dondi to also give me 1st hand information without to much relying on my Handler report as they sometims exagerrate things.

http://angkibit.multiply.com/
    Last edited by ANGKIBIT; May 17th, 2009 at 05:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

nice to read from fellow cockmates how they handle and manage their own situation.....more inputs please...........tnx....................

Post Thanks / Like

GOODLUCK TO ALL OF US. matira ang matibay.

Post Thanks / Like

about what sir artem says, yeah its so hard to maintain a gamefarm whos owner is working abroad or living abroad. i had experienced already that after 3 years of not making an inventory of the fowls in the yard, i lost about 50 heads which is already wingbanded.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbm174
    nice to read from fellow cockmates how they handle and manage their own situation.....more inputs please...........tnx....................
    thank u for this tread,i pick-up some point....im also want to have farm,a nice and good bloodline,but im working abroad, a lot of plan of thinking what happen if i start without me,i plan to have my cousin to handle to be,but no experience raising this matter(farm).thats why i read a lot and look for those advise that i can learn,i have already a vacant lot w/ fence,but doubt is hussel to me for a lot of things(people to handle,health of checken,thievs)pls....send me tip to erase this doubt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dondon
    thank u for this tread,i pick-up some point....im also want to have farm,a nice and good bloodline,but im working abroad, a lot of plan of thinking what happen if i start without me,i plan to have my cousin to handle to be,but no experience raising this matter(farm).thats why i read a lot and look for those advise that i can learn,i have already a vacant lot w/ fence,but doubt is hussel to me for a lot of things(people to handle,health of checken,thievs)pls....send me tip to erase this doubt
    In all honesty and experience, your doubt will never go away. Find someone who's REALLY REALLY trustworthy because it'll cost you more than you can handle if they screw you over.

6 months ago I hired someone to watch over my farm. He seemed "alright", didn't know that much about raising chickens but I thought since "he's alright", i could teach him how to raise chickens through the phone. Months have passed my chickens started dying. Some got loose and fought to the death. Twice this had happen but since I thought he was "alright" I'll give him a chance. He was able to produce offsprings last year, a lot died so I told him to make a Brooder. He said he was gonna do it so I waited. Earlier this year, he was able to produce more offsprings. I've been hearing from my other contacts that the same thing is happening as last year, more chicks dying. I called him and asked for the brooder, he said he'll put the chicks on the ground and collect it later in the afternoon. I insistentlly said to make a brooder so last month I heard more chicks dying. I called him he said "oh, only pullets were dying". I yelled at his ass and told him "those pullets cost money to feed, a lot of time wasted and consumed and possibly could of been sold for farm expenses". If he had hair, i would of reached through the phone and pulled it all out!

I had someone go to the farm, they found out the feeders are dirty, the tie cords are anchored with nails and every possible bullcrap you could imagine is in it.

My point is be vigilant on whoever it is you entrust your farm to, your way or the highway! Specially vigilant if your paying him/her to look after your farm . One more thing, don't believe in blood-ties. Your cousins, uncles, in-laws and in some cases your siblings can screw you over!

On a Happier Note, my small backyard chickin's have been winning!

Last edited by patacboy; May 18th, 2009 at 03:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps, to enable yourself not to be cheated and thereby lead you establish a much better management, you should let your wife get involved in breeding, familiarize herself in the operation and entrust her the funding of your gamefowl farm. I agree with “Patacboy” that blood-ties (cousins, uncles, in-laws, etc.) could easily screw you up especially if you are maintaining expensive materials and much sought bloodlines. Any one amongst the blood-ties working in your farm may be tempted to cheat you, or may think of something to get considerable amount of money at the easiest way by selling your breeds at negotiated price through a simple arrangement out of your knowledge, which is most likely to happen since you are far away working overseas.

That is the way I manage my little farm while working overseas. My wife supervises (my handlers) her two nephews and newly hired teenager from my daughter’s junkshop business, so everybody could not engage in cheating because my wife was overseeing them, including every single aspect of my farm (from breeding, eggs hatching and inventory up to cording) is actively being supervised by my wife. This method is a proficient way in maintaining a farm while working away of the place. I wish I was able to impart you my simple technique in managing and maintaining my little farm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by patacboy
    In all honesty and experience, your doubt will never go away. Find someone who's REALLY REALLY trustworthy because it'll cost you more than you can handle if they screw you over.

6 months ago I hired someone to watch over my farm. He seemed "alright", didn't know that much about raising chickens but I thought since "he's alright", i could teach him how to raise chickens through the phone. Months have passed my chickens started dying. Some got loose and fought to the death. Twice this had happen but since I thought he was "alright" I'll give him a chance. He was able to produce offsprings last year, a lot died so I told him to make a Brooder. He said he was gonna do it so I waited. Earlier this year, he was able to produce more offsprings. I've been hearing from my other contacts that the same thing is happening as last year, more chicks dying. I called him and asked for the brooder, he said he'll put the chicks on the ground and collect it later in the afternoon. I insistentlly said to make a brooder so last month I heard more chicks dying. I called him he said "oh, only pullets were dying". I yelled at his ass and told him "those pullets cost money to feed, a lot of time wasted and consumed and possibly could of been sold for farm expenses". If he had hair, i would of reached through the phone and pulled it all out!

I had someone go to the farm, they found out the feeders are dirty, the tie cords are anchored with nails and every possible bullcrap you could imagine is in it.

My point is be vigilant on whoever it is you entrust your farm to, your way or the highway! Specially vigilant if your paying him/her to look after your farm . One more thing, don't believe in blood-ties. Your cousins, uncles, in-laws and in some cases your siblings can screw you over!

On a Happier Note, my small backyard chickin's have been winning!

mmm mmmm,thats a big point!!!!thank u for rimind me blood-ties screw

Post Thanks / Like

It is really a sacrifice having a satellite farm. I appreciate the farm owners who were able to manage it profitably. I just talk to my uncle who happens to be supporting a farm in the PI and he said that it is just really passion and the love of the sport. It is a losing venture and everybody knows that when they started it but the passion for the sport keep them going. On his conclusion on our conversation; do not gamble if you want a satellite farm to succeed. Just breed and sell and thats it. Don't fight your own chickens. Let others fight it for you. The problem is the escalating cost in maintaining it and a lot buyers are becoming tight wads due to the competion among the backyard breeders. My conclusion is " salute to satellite breeders and wish them all the success under harsh business conditions."

Post Thanks / Like

WRIGLE C. your Uncle is absolutely right!!!

"I just talk to my uncle who happens to be supporting a farm in the PI and he said that it is just really passion and the love of the sport. It is a losing venture and everybody knows that when they started it but the passion for the sport keep them going."

I have my Brother in charge of the farm, i send him broodstock and sometimes i send money for feeds, (not always coz' he sells most of his produce, he,he) When i go for a short vacation i would be lucky if i have fowls to fight...uuuhhh...of course, some guys loves to pick gamefowls from imported stocks...ouch again!...huh, huh, huh

Anyways...Istill have a Brother....a Farm.....Maybe some rooster....Just HIGH HOPES....and LOW EXPECTATION.....and a DREAM....uuuuuu