Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 90

Thread: speeder Grey

  
  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    My buddy has them direct from Marks dad. They cross good with Whitehackles and Clarets

  2. Likes LJ15 liked this post
  3. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    The Speeders were used to make the Butchers along with the Groves Whitehackles. They are a speed type fowl but occasionally a powerhouse would pop out, especially with the Brown-Red Speeders. They would hit multiple strokes then settle down to a single stroke.

  4. Thanks Al Sanchez thanked for this post
  5. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    I have a speeder cock that Mark sent me last year. Its a very smart bird with side stepping and waiting for the moment to do a perfect strike. I bred him to a chandler black hen and the sons look promesing.

  6. Likes LaBlue, Al Sanchez liked this post
  7. #34
    Member airjammer88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    the ranch
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by cabinho03 View Post
    I have a speeder cock that Mark sent me last year. Its a very smart bird with side stepping and waiting for the moment to do a perfect strike. I bred him to a chandler black hen and the sons look promesing.
    Lets see some pics straight and cross

  8. Likes Al Sanchez liked this post
  9. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    7,166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by MarshButcher View Post
    The Speeders were used to make the Butchers along with the Groves Whitehackles. They are a speed type fowl but occasionally a powerhouse would pop out, especially with the Brown-Red Speeders. They would hit multiple strokes then settle down to a single stroke.
    all my mugs Cary a drop of speeder in them. It s probably in the 1/1000s but it is in there.

  10. Likes HCGF, Sig1911 liked this post
  11. #36
    Member DenDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    349
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by 1handkneehigh View Post
    ..The Speeders were created by Phil Marsh using Groves Whitehackles over some Santo Domingo(Blues) and they came grey,,,,and it's very doubtful that anyone has 1/millionth of that blood and for sure not Mark Marsh..
    I was given a 1/2 Speeder grey 1/2 Vizzard grey brood cock from a friend. He is a dark blue color. My friend seems to think the blue came from the Speeder. I guess the Speeder has a bit of Spanish type fowl in them. I cross my blue brood cock on Cuban hens. Most all come blue and a good % henny feather

  12. #37
    Senior Member Birdderfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    G.F s.carolina
    Posts
    1,127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    I had some speeders that I crossed to Rubles they were great gaff fowl

  13. #38
    Banned grey/dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tigbakayan
    Posts
    7,572
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    To Mark Marsh. Ur speeder grey had biddies now in my PI farm mated to our black hatch. Hope and wishing it will give us very good winning percentage. Butchers too and already tested.

    Again tnx for the trust.

  14. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by 1handkneehigh View Post
    ..The Speeders were created by Phil Marsh using Groves Whitehackles over some Santo Domingo(Blues) and they came grey,,,,and it's very doubtful that anyone has 1/millionth of that blood and for sure not Mark Marsh..
    Our Speeders do not carry Groves blood. The Groves were used with the Speeders to make the Butchers.

  15. #40
    Senior Member spring creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    3,764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    What happened from the speeders looking like this as in a law grey to looking like a black grey or a dirty hatch grey of the ones you see today. 20190503_123328.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  16. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,014
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by MarshButcher View Post
    Our Speeders do not carry Groves blood. The Groves were used with the Speeders to make the Butchers.
    Hey Mark, if you don’t mind my asking, what is the make-up of the Speeder line? Just wondering if there is a percentage if Spanish Blue blood in them. Thanks

  17. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by FILAMEX View Post
    Hey Mark, if you don’t mind my asking, what is the make-up of the Speeder line? Just wondering if there is a percentage if Spanish Blue blood in them. Thanks
    Cocks and hens from the Dominican Republic which came grey, blue, and pyle, and a hen from Burnell Shelton in Mississippi. Hens from this mating were bred onto a blue grey Dominican cock.

  18. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,014
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by MarshButcher View Post
    Cocks and hens from the Dominican Republic which came grey, blue, and pyle, and a hen from Burnell Shelton in Mississippi. Hens from this mating were bred onto a blue grey Dominican cock.
    I see...so looks like they are the Postiza type fowl with some % of Brunel Shelton Roundhead blood in them. Anyway, they must all come Grey that's why they are "Speeder Grey" but, just wondering if some would still come Blue and Pyle colors. Thanks

  19. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,014
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdderfly View Post
    I had some speeders that I crossed to Rubles they were great gaff fowl
    Hi there Birdderfly, aside from grey color, did some of your speeders come blue, or Pyle colored? Just being curious as Mark said their origin is that, they were grey, blue, Pyle, red(RH). Thanks

  20. #45
    Banned grey/dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tigbakayan
    Posts
    7,572
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by FILAMEX View Post
    Hi there Birdderfly, aside from grey color, did some of your speeders come blue, or Pyle colored? Just being curious as Mark said their origin is that, they were grey, blue, Pyle, red(RH). Thanks
    I bred the speeder grey hen here. And as Mark told me true. She hatch a brown red pullet. I was eaten by a varmint. All her eggs either eaten or was stolen. Coz my neigboring gamefowl farm are selling eggs. Lol

    that is all I know speeder grey sometimes hatch brown reds. And Mark call then brown speeders.

  21. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,014
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    all my mugs Cary a drop of speeder in them. It s probably in the 1/1000s but it is in there.
    Knowing now the make up of the Speeders(from Mark), I’m not surprised at all the your Blue Mugs and some other Blue lines have the Speeder blood in them. Had the opportunity to play around with a Blue line a while back, and I think they had Speeder blood in them as well. The old breeder who had them, originally had Miner Blues for a while but lost them. He acquired this other kind of Blue line(just can’t remember what he said they were) that I was able to get familiarized with. Awesome birds but they only come low to medium station.

  22. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,014
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by grey/dom View Post
    I bred the speeder grey hen here. And as Mark told me true. She hatch a brown red pullet. I was eaten by a varmint. All her eggs either eaten or was stolen. Coz my neigboring gamefowl farm are selling eggs. Lol

    that is all I know speeder grey sometimes hatch brown reds. And Mark call then brown speeders.
    Thanks for sharing your Speeder experience bud.

  23. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by FILAMEX View Post
    Hi there Birdderfly, aside from grey color, did some of your speeders come blue, or Pyle colored? Just being curious as Mark said their origin is that, they were grey, blue, Pyle, red(RH). Thanks
    Since they were set as a strain well over 100 years ago they come both grey and brown-red. The blue and pyle color is long gone.

  24. #49
    Senior Member Birdderfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    G.F s.carolina
    Posts
    1,127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Mine never came blue but some would come dark dirty grey they had some dark blood in them some where but 90% were grey

  25. #50
    Senior Member KevinG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    1,866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    The dark blood was that Santo Domingo I believe, Mark would know. Ive read alot on them but my memory may have slipped a lil bit. They sure did a hell of a job in just covering those colors, thats hard to do not to mention maintaining the outstanding performance of the Butcher cock.
    SF

  26. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,014
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by MarshButcher View Post
    Since they were set as a strain well over 100 years ago they come both grey and brown-red. The blue and pyle color is long gone.
    Thanks Mark. Anyway, would they be authentic to dark dirty grey, brown red, and dark legs? What kind of dark legs do they usually come out with..., black, blue or green legs? And were they bred specially for peg awl or SG? Sorry, just trying to learn more about this strain.

  27. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,014
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdderfly View Post
    Mine never came blue but some would come dark dirty grey they had some dark blood in them some where but 90% were grey
    Thanks....so the 10% would be brown reds then?

  28. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,014
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
    The dark blood was that Santo Domingo I believe, Mark would know. Ive read alot on them but my memory may have slipped a lil bit. They sure did a hell of a job in just covering those colors, thats hard to do not to mention maintaining the outstanding performance of the Butcher cock.
    SF
    Ten 4 Kevin with the “hell of a job covering those colors, and maintaining the outstanding performance of the Butchers .”

  29. #54
    Senior Member Mike Everett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,218
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
    The dark blood was that Santo Domingo I believe, Mark would know. Ive read alot on them but my memory may have slipped a lil bit. They sure did a hell of a job in just covering those colors, thats hard to do not to mention maintaining the outstanding performance of the Butcher cock.
    SF
    The Speeder dark blood was from the Nob Comb Brownred hen that was bred to the Santo Domingo.

  30. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,014
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by don b View Post
    Not sure if there are any other kinds of Speeder Greys(aside from Marsh’s) out there but this guy in video(Mr. Serge Capistrano) is saying that his Speeder Grey was originated by two people, “Boy Neire and Weller”(?sp). He got his Speeder from “Oklahoma-Duncan from “Woodie Woods”(?sp). He mentioned though that the Butcher is a cross of Grooves WH and Speeder greys. Anybody here heard about those breeders(Boy Neire, Weller and Woodie Woods)?
    Anyway, his Speeder grey looks like they have good size in them, are kind of green legged and have that mulberry or black face, and according to him are 100% straight combed.

  31. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by FILAMEX View Post
    Thanks Mark. Anyway, would they be authentic to dark dirty grey, brown red, and dark legs? What kind of dark legs do they usually come out with..., black, blue or green legs? And were they bred specially for peg awl or SG? Sorry, just trying to learn more about this strain.
    Most of the Grey's are a dark dirty type with a few coming the standard grey in color. The legs are black. 90% of the hens come black with the rest coming buttermilk in color. They were bred for the short gaff.

  32. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by FILAMEX View Post
    Not sure if there are any other kinds of Speeder Greys(aside from Marsh’s) out there but this guy in video(Mr. Serge Capistrano) is saying that his Speeder Grey was originated by two people, “Boy Neire and Weller”(?sp). He got his Speeder from “Oklahoma-Duncan from “Woodie Woods”(?sp). He mentioned though that the Butcher is a cross of Grooves WH and Speeder greys. Anybody here heard about those breeders(Boy Neire, Weller and Woodie Woods)?
    Anyway, his Speeder grey looks like they have good size in them, are kind of green legged and have that mulberry or black face, and according to him are 100% straight combed.
    There was a man named Weller here in fort Plain back in the early 1900's who has Speeders. Not sure if he get them from my Grandfather or not. Also a man named Boiner ( pronounced Burnee) had speeders which were unrelated to my Grandfathers according to an article.

  33. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,014
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Quote Originally Posted by MarshButcher View Post
    There was a man named Weller here in fort Plain back in the early 1900's who has Speeders. Not sure if he get them from my Grandfather or not. Also a man named Boiner ( pronounced Burnee) had speeders which were unrelated to my Grandfathers according to an article.
    Thanks Mark. Was just wondering if the article(granting it's true), described any differences between your grandpa's and Boiner's Grey Speeders. Never saw pictures of your Speeders but, with your description about them, sounds like they are very similar to what Mr. Serge Capistrano is featuring in that video. And like I stated earlier, looks like his(Serge's) has pretty good size( medium high station, with good body)in them. My wild guesstimate to what he's holding is he's about 5-5.4 pounds, and does have a little attitude(pecking the arm). Are yours about that size and with that little attitude?

  34. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    FILAMEX I think you should get a Speeder Grey stag from Mr Marsh. I pulled the trigger on one last year from Mr Marsh and was made a believer in them. I will be putting him over some Doc Taggartt Speeders to freshen them up.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  35. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speeder Grey

    Here is a pic of the Speeder Grey Mr Marsh took before sending him to me. CD077269-AF07-4354-8745-606A3DB2A4C7.jpg


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  36. Likes roostercm liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Yellow leg speeder grey
    By CandSGamefowl in forum Chicken Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 29th, 2012, 08:14 AM
  2. Grey Speeder
    By alnrch in forum Chicken Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 13th, 2011, 01:27 PM
  3. Speeder Greys
    By buzzbait in forum Chicken Talk
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: September 29th, 2011, 02:44 PM
  4. speeder vs hatcg
    By graves game far in forum Chicken Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 25th, 2011, 04:13 PM
  5. Speeder Grey
    By Lu!$ M@r+inez in forum Chicken Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 7th, 2007, 08:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •