Thread: Vaccination Program for baby chicks

Post Thanks / Like

Vaccination Program for baby chicks

Hello fellow members,

Does anyone knows a vaccination program for baby chicks. How to take care of them till they are 2 months old? I have noticed its very difficult to take care of baby chicks that are born on May, June, July in the PI. Well in Hawaii I notice it is easier to take care of baby chicks, they rarely get sick. If they do get sick my dad said he just give them terramycin or VET Rx and the chicks survive. Well in the other hand I told my handler to do the same and still the baby chicks die and then he uses vetracin gold and all kinds of medicine etc. Still they die. Well need help on taking care of baby chicks and info will be very much appreciated.

Sabungero,

Eric Dean

Only da strong survives!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vaccination Program for baby chicks

Amigo,

There are a myriad of diseases that kill young fowl !

I would vaccinate for Pox, use the kind for young chicks, and vaccinate again with the adiut vaccine at 6 months. Also, look for a Triple Vaccine for Cholera, Newcastle, and Coryza and administer this Vaccine at 15 days from birth. Re vaccinate again at 3 months.

The should cover your problems !

YFIS

Eric aka Baja

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Vaccination Program for baby chicks

no forget give mareks too

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Vaccination Program for baby chicks

dose any one have the name for a brood spectrum vaccin for all thats meention above or even the name s for vaccins sepretly

CAN /MINDORO /NEGROS OCC. Talisay City -WWW.romy3388multiply.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

E.D
    Dont forget to add noxal also for a day old chik ,to help them digest their food . we use only lasota vaccine with in 7 days , then coryza and marek vaccine after the first month followed by b-6 or b-12 vaccine between 6-7 month old. sorry this is how we do in my farm , hope this help you to .
    as of now this is the program I have in the farm po.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bajaexplor
    Amigo,

There are a myriad of diseases that kill young fowl !

I would vaccinate for Pox, use the kind for young chicks, and vaccinate again with the adiut vaccine at 6 months. Also, look for a Triple Vaccine for Cholera, Newcastle, and Coryza and administer this Vaccine at 15 days from birth. Re vaccinate again at 3 months.

The should cover your problems !

YFIS

Eric aka Baja

The triple vaccine for cholera, newcastle and coryza are they available in the Philippines?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by romy 3388
    E.D
    Dont forget to add noxal also for a day old chik ,to help them digest their food . we use only lasota vaccine with in 7 days , then coryza and marek vaccine after the first month followed by b-6 or b-12 vaccine between 6-7 month old. sorry this is how we do in my farm , hope this help you to .
    as of now this is the program I have in the farm po.

Hey Romy 3388,

Thanks for the info. Well how many days do you give the coryza and the marek or you give it both one time. Is it safe to give coryza and marek in the first month? Well I'll tell my handler about the noxal and lasota vaccine. Thanks again Romy

Aloha,

Eric Dean

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=romy 3388]E.D
    as of now this is the program I have in the farm po.[/QU

Mareks should be on day one and no such things as b6 & b12 vaccine.
    Last edited by louie; July 2nd, 2009 at 02:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

just lost all my chicks hatched a month ago,
    my cousin keep insisting it's the bad weather
    when i asked him for the signs i knew it's
    mareks, vaccination should be 1 day old.
    very frustrating when he can't even get the vaccine
    from the feed store he's dealing with and
    the so called resident vet keep insisting he never encountered
    this kind of problem yet.
    if the flock is not treated soon i will go home
    to empty cages, teepes and a ruined vacation...
    you should have a vaccination program from the start...
    good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Vaccination Program for baby chicks

jeffers.com or randallburkey.com they have all what you need for vaccine

Post Thanks / Like

where can we buy these vaccines?

Post Thanks / Like

where in P.I. can we buy those?

Post Thanks / Like

I just started giving mareks this year. One thing I found in my research of it is that if you dont vaccinate at one day you may be wasting your time and money. The vaccine has to be in the chicks system before it has any contact with the mareks virus or it wont do any good. I have been vaccinating them as soon as I take them out of incubator while Im marking. Worked well so far. No ill effects.

Post Thanks / Like

in philippines...if you have imported fowls you are suceptible to marek's desease...the vaccines there are very expensive and once you start vaccinating you have to do it all the time...in my farm i have occasional ocurrence because my fowls are mostly imported...but weighing the pros and cons i decided not to vaccinate yet...

ilocano lakay

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Dean
    Hello fellow members,

Does anyone knows a vaccination program for baby chicks. How to take care of them till they are 2 months old? I have noticed its very difficult to take care of baby chicks that are born on May, June, July in the PI. Well in Hawaii I notice it is easier to take care of baby chicks, they rarely get sick. If they do get sick my dad said he just give them terramycin or VET Rx and the chicks survive. Well in the other hand I told my handler to do the same and still the baby chicks die and then he uses vetracin gold and all kinds of medicine etc. Still they die. Well need help on taking care of baby chicks and info will be very much appreciated.

Sabungero,

Eric Dean

Only da strong survives!

hope this can help.

Vaccination Schedule

DAYS VACCINES ADMINISTRATION
    3 NCD (B1B1) +IB Interocular or Internasal
    10 IBD Interocular or Internasal
    17 Fowl Pox Wing Web
    24 NCD +IB Interocular or Internasal
    31 Coryza Intramuscular
    38 IBD Interocular or Internasal
    45 Fowl Pox Wing Web
    52 Micoplasma Gallisepticum Interocular or Internasal
    59 Coryza Intramuscular
    70 ND, IBD, IB, REO Intramuscular
    120 ND, IBD, IB, REO Intramuscular
    180 Fowl Pox Wing Web

At ACF we often combine our Fowl Pox and NCD + IB vaccinations on the Days 17.

goodluck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kogmohon
    in philippines...if you have imported fowls you are suceptible to marek's desease...the vaccines there are very expensive and once you start vaccinating you have to do it all the time...in my farm i have occasional ocurrence because my fowls are mostly imported...but weighing the pros and cons i decided not to vaccinate yet...
    In my research I found out that mareks is one that you dont have to worry about spreading from vaccinated to unvaccinated fowls. While the ones not vaccinated will be suceptible to contracting mareks from other sources, they wont catch it simply from the vaccinated ones. The mareks is a vaccine not made from the actual same virus that causes mareks in chickens. According to streckers book it is made from the turkey virus which blocks the chickens from contracting the mareks. The chickens cannot get sick from this turkey virus but that is why they must have it before they come in contact with any mareks viruses.

Post Thanks / Like

Info about mareks from a Vet.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Laurel:

While Mareks is considered a disease of younger birds, we do find it now and then in older birds. It has to do with age and natural resistance and exposure.

Vaccinating at one day of age is obviously the best method and was developed an labeled that way as it is easier for the commercial poultry industry to do it that way.

You can vaccinate at any age and the dose is the same and the vaccine will be just as effective. There is some research to show that birds that have mareks can be saved by Vaccination about 50 % of the time. Dont forget that the Vaccine does not stop infection but it prevents the formation of the Tumors that cripple the birds.

I would Vaccinate all Brood Fowl at another location and wait at least 30 days before bringing them to the farm. This will allow them to build sufficient immunity before being exposed to the Virus.

I would also do a through clean up of the farm as Mareks is spread through the Feather Follicles and the Dander produced by the feathers.

It should be noted that the Ocular Form of Mareks is not controlled by the Vaccine. If birds show the eye discoloration they should be destroyed immediately and the area and pens cleaned and disinfected.

I would suggest Oxine as the disinfectant as it is 200 times more powerful than bleach.

Keep em Healthy,

Doc

Post Thanks / Like

If there is one desease to vaccinate for it is Mareks.I have seen it devestate farms here in the U.S.Once you have one bird show signs of it you are in for a huge dissappointment.It will slowly work its way through your fowl.You will start noticing fowl sitting on their roost acting like their counting cards.Next thing is you will spar roosters and one will act like it is knocked off by falling on its side or acting like it cannot get off the ground by using its wings to fly.Their eyes will be green or worse grey eyed...some people call it fish eyed.It will also hurt the hatchability of your eggs.I would take the worse case of coryza over the smallest case of mareks.That is how bad I have seen it here.Some people have had to cull a entire years worth of stags because of it.

Post Thanks / Like

How to use Mareks vaccine

Vaccinating for Mareks with the Mareks vaccine : Vaccination should take place as close to one day of age if at all possible,but may be done at any age as earlier discussed. Mareks vaccine is unique in that it does not stop a bird from becoming infected with the virus,but it stops the formation of the Tumors that are caused by the Mareks virus. Birds that are newly vaccinated should not be exposed to adult birds for at least fourteen days to allow the vaccine to take hold. The vaccine comes as a two part vaccine. One bottle contains a small freeze dried wafer which is the actual vaccine. This is a Live Virus vaccine and can not be saved once it is mixed. Once mixed the life of the vaccine is approximately two to two and one half hours. The second part of the vaccine is a bottle of diluent which is 200 cc/ml of extender. It is not just water but a broth so to speak of special growth media for the Vaccine Virus to survive on during mixing and vaccination. I would suggest to you that you split the vaccine into four equal parts so that you may get four uses out of one bottle of vaccine. Cut the small vaccine wafer into quarters as best as you can.Use care not to contaminate the Mareks Diluent. Never actually open the bottle but use a clean needle and work through the rubber stopper and draw what you need from that. Always check the Diluent bottle for contamination before using: cloudiness or something growing in the bottle. If the Diluent is contaminated or you are unsure discard the bottle and get a fresh bottle of Diluent before proceeding. Take the large Diluent bottle and transfer 50 cc/ml into a clean baby food jar or similar glass bottle. This bottle must be glass. Now take the 1/4 vaccine wafer and mix with the 50 cc/ml of Diluent in the baby food jar and you are ready to vaccinate. Remember to immediately put the remaining Diluent and the small bottle of Vaccine back in the refrigerator. You are now ready to administer the Vaccine. The dose is .2 cc 2/10 cc under the skin of the neck of each bird.Remember to keep track of time so that you donít use Vaccine that is to old. Putting the mixed vaccine bottle in an ice bath will have some value in preserving the life of the mixed vaccine. MIXED VACCINE CAN NOT BE SAVED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVEN IF YOU FREEZE IT.

james wolf

philippines a good vaccination porogram is necessary, best source is a local vet, my vaccination is different than say bacolod, i got a vaccination program from lancey dela torre, than gave it to a local vet, he revised it, & that is the one i use. vaccination doesn't do it alone, we dissinfect the farms once a month, expensive but necessary. last 2 yrs no problem thanks to the help of lancey, spanichi, & excellent vet. also limit yr visitors that come from their farms.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by james wolf
    philippines a good vaccination porogram is necessary, best source is a local vet, my vaccination is different than say bacolod, i got a vaccination program from lancey dela torre, than gave it to a local vet, he revised it, & that is the one i use. vaccination doesn't do it alone, we dissinfect the farms once a month, expensive but necessary. last 2 yrs no problem thanks to the help of lancey, spanichi, & excellent vet. also limit yr visitors that come from their farms.
    Can you share it to me Sir James?? my PM inbox is not yet full....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue_talon
    just lost all my chicks hatched a month ago,
    my cousin keep insisting it's the bad weather
    when i asked him for the signs i knew it's
    mareks, vaccination should be 1 day old.
    very frustrating when he can't even get the vaccine
    from the feed store he's dealing with and
    the so called resident vet keep insisting he never encountered
    this kind of problem yet.
    if the flock is not treated soon i will go home
    to empty cages, teepes and a ruined vacation...
    you should have a vaccination program from the start...
    good luck!
    wow, pre so it will take sometime before i can receive a pair. joke joke. so sorry about your experienced, just hoping that all your breeding materials are still in good health. I dont practice vaccination. I only provide chicks with vitamins, baxidil and dewormer.

br,