Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: griffin claret

Roosters&Dreams

griffin claret

who is the originator of griffin claret? who is till breeding them today?...do they look like the madigan clarer ( wine red, pearl leg, black spur)...

CyberFriends
    Post Thanks / Like
    i got a couple of 3-month old cockerels from pagasa haven of ed magiba. they are ray alexander bloodline, wine red, straight comb and yellow legs.

William Branum
    A man named Elmer Griffin and his brother (I can't remember his name) made the Griffin Clarets. They bred a Madigan Claret over their own fowl called Red Horse to make the Griffins. They are typically dark red straight comb yellow leggged. The good ones are a very good strain of fowl. Strong, excellent cutters and gentle as lambs. You cannot go wrong with some good Griffin Claret blood. I suggest breeding a Griffin cock over Kelso, Sweater, or Roundhead hens for the long knife. These crosses have done very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Griffin

William,

I met Elmer's son a long time ago and he said that Papa Griffin use to walk c oc ks for Madigin. The story goes that Madigin would leave a stag but never a hen so he bred them to his SHAWLNECKS, and each year he would breed them back until there was little of the shawls blood left. I got some from them in the 80's and they were some of the best blood I've owned. I regret losing this blood.

Roosters,

Yes they look like the Madigin, but mine had yellow legs.

I know a guy that still breeds from the original stock of Papa Griffin - PM me for the number as he may not appreciate it being posted here.

Wildfoot

Post Thanks / Like
    Wildfoot,
    Greetings to you !
    Where is this guy you are referring to, located ?
    BTW, your PM box is full.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh ya! They sure are excellent deep cutters and very smart. The one I've seen are Dark red, yellow legged with black spurs and straight comb. Very smart and beautiful birds.

Rostum,
    Kamusta na? Did you ask James about those griffin? I think he got his somewhere around the Tennesse area. Later man.

William Branum
    The Red horse fowl that Elmer Griffin created was made from the SHAWLNECK bloodlines. He then bred the Madigan Claret blood to them and created the Griffin Clarets. At least that is what William McRae told me. I don't know I wasn't there at the time. William McRae got his Griffins direct from Elmer and kept them pure. I got mine from William McRae back in the 1970's. William McRae and Blondie Rollan used the Griffins to make the famous Democrats.

Roosters&Dreams
    can anyone give me a contact number of these people that still breed this blood pure...thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Griffin Claret

Mauricir,
    When we visited James' farm, he only had a few yellow-legged, black spurred Clarets on the yard. We went home empty-handed.
    Our other friend bought a nice Yellow Leg Hatch.
    Attached is a picture I took on our choice Claret cock.
    PROBLEM: this one is not for sale

Malden ( Rostum's amigo )
    Attached Images Attached Images

steben_cgal
    my friend from bacolod has these griffin clarets both the yellow leg and the white leg that came from one of the best breeder in the phillipines and famous of his griffin clarets... :rbounce:

Post Thanks / Like

Claret

This one was for sale but we passed on him. He is a little bit short. He is WHITE-Legged, black-spurred. Would anybody breed him for the LK even if he is a bit low-medium station?

Post Thanks / Like

Griffin

Roosters,

Sent you the number......

William,

I remember the Red Horse and yup they were SHAWLNECKS, they had yellow legs and were whitehackled. They were hard to kill in the spurs. It was Blondie Rolan that pointed us to this breeder....

Malden,

Like I told Roosters in my PM, the guy that had the Griffins only had one Trio left to sell, if Rooster's doesnt buy it you can have his number. I want the trio for myself but just dont have the time and the room at the moment, but I was planning to buy it later this year.

Wildfoot

Post Thanks / Like

griffin claret

These Clarets are one of the most reliable and solid bloodlines that can fight in any weapon especially the filipino slashers.from the time of duke hulsey in the 60's to time of ray alexander from 70's up to the present.These clarets has stood their ground against the newcomers especially the sweaters.There in the States,Jr Belt has been whipping everyone using his claret roundheads and so does the JOE entry of Joe Wolcott.so what does it mean?it simply means that the Clarets are here to stay.
    CLARET Man,
    frederick sy

Post Thanks / Like

w.t. apperson's clarets

i was trying to pm you but your inbox is full

Post Thanks / Like

frederick sy 'claret man'

he's the one i'm trying to pm :blush:

Post Thanks / Like
    We got our griffen claret from Mr. Ray Alexander and they are excellent cutters. They come white or yellow legged, straight comb, and light red or wine red occasionally. Here is the pic of one of them taken in my farm in Lipa city, Batangas.

Post Thanks / Like

Madigin claret

We got our Madigin claret from J.F. Vance and Jr. belt of JBJ game farm. Their dark or wine red and white legged, black spur and straight comb. Heres the pic of the broodrooster direct from J.F. Vance the photo was taken in my farm in Lipa city, Batangas.

Post Thanks / Like

Madigin Claret

Dgrecuenco...
    Just want to inquire if ur selling madigin claret broodstag and how much. Kindly pm me with ur answer. Thanks a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

clarets

I probably have one pure ray alexander griffen claret stag available that I can sell you right now (no pullets and hens). I have no madigin clarets available forsale at this time. Email me at dgrecuenco@aol.com if your interested Im still here in the US but coming to manila and my farm in the July 28. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Madigin Claret

Thanks buddy but I have this Griffin Claret bloodline already from Freddie Yulo of Negros. I'm planning to infuse the Madigin Claret supposedly. Anyway, thank you and I will contact you some other days later and find out if you have some available.

Post Thanks / Like

griffin claret

any inputs about these griffin,who still has the good ones?your inputs will be highly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    i acquired some griffin claret hens from freddie yulo and they are awesome! they are white and yellow legged medium station

Post Thanks / Like

pure griffins shipped nov 2004 to p.i.

from 84 year old breeder/cocker william t. apperson of alabama and was a long time partner of sherril penny. he never advertised and shipped fowls in his life just made an exception for me and picked for me the ones that has good station from his favorite brood pens. pictures taken few days after shipped to p.i.

1/4 blondie rollan 3/4 ray alexander

3/4 blondie rollan 1/4 ray alexander

[b]griffin stag crosses well with blueface[/]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: griffin claret

Quote Originally Posted by frederick sy
    These Clarets are one of the most reliable and solid bloodlines that can fight in any weapon especially the filipino slashers.from the time of duke hulsey in the 60's to time of ray alexander from 70's up to the present.These clarets has stood their ground against the newcomers especially the sweaters.There in the States,Jr Belt has been whipping everyone using his claret roundheads and so does the JOE entry of Joe Wolcott.so what does it mean?it simply means that the Clarets are here to stay.
    CLARET Man,
    frederick sy
    Fred,

What kind of roundhead did Jr. belt cross with his griffin Claret? I know Jr. Belt has a cowan roundhead but i just want to make it sure. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

How about big sam white of alabama I heard he has some griffim clarets. Has anyone got chickens from him.

Post Thanks / Like

any inputs about these griffin,who still has the good ones?your inputs will be highly appreciated.
    emoy's imported griffins are with roy go of zanorte

Post Thanks / Like

pre fedic

the guy you chat in the presscon of 2010 WSC , got the best ,,hehehehe ..

Post Thanks / Like

The Griffin chickens were bred and raised by Elmer,Dale and Bubba Griffin,
    Montgomery and I believe Greenville Al I might be wrong on the city but close to there.I knew their handler Roy Mack Hartzogg .
    Col. Madagin gave them a pure Cock they bred them this hen and that til set at strain . This is the foundation for the Democrat cocks, and the Pipliners. Ibele ,Lawshee Blues spelling may be wrong.I had the pure ones,they were great.Pipliners were developed By Dave Wiggins and Mr Kirby of Pensacola Fl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William Branum View Post
    A man named Elmer Griffin and his brother (I can't remember his name) made the Griffin Clarets. They bred a Madigan Claret over their own fowl called Red Horse to make the Griffins. They are typically dark red straight comb yellow leggged. The good ones are a very good strain of fowl. Strong, excellent cutters and gentle as lambs. You cannot go wrong with some good Griffin Claret blood. I suggest breeding a Griffin cock over Kelso, Sweater, or Roundhead hens for the long knife. These crosses have done very well.
    There are some of the Griffens come pearl legged some of this might come from Wren Calhoun who raised for the Griffen brothers he added Pipeliner blood to them which resulted in Griffens not picking up fowl from him anymore. I used to go by there and pick up stags had to get them early as he had very small holding pens with no roost I give 2or3 dollars for them as baby stags and won alot of small to med derbys with them back in early 1980s.Very good fowl also get a green legged one now and then .Blondy Rollan used them and was successful with them time I stoped in on my way to TN he had some of them up and some of the BR fowl he called TarBabys.-Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Dave Wiggins and Mr Kirby of Pensacola went to Mr McRae of Mississippi and bought a pure Griffin cock That is how the pipliners came about , this was told to me Kirby,s son and Bill Clark , Madigin gave The Griffin brothers a pure cock, Blondie Roland Came up with the Democrats out of this strain.Roy Mack Hartzogg Sold a lot of the pure ones off behind their back. Ronald Lynn Smitherman Knows alot about them and has them.,