Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Possum Sweater

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Best cross for a possum sweater.

What is the best cross for a Carl Nesmith possum sweater for sk?
    Last edited by kcpumpkin1; July 29th, 2007 at 06:16 AM.

2. Thanks Mr123glock thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best cross for a possum sweater.

radio, kelso, ylh, lemon and not necessarily in the same order... 1/4 cockside on the lemon and radio...

Post Thanks / Like

kilso, gilmore, round head

filamforks

If I know the fighting characteristic of a Possum Sweater, I could give you my 2 cents.

filamforks

Post Thanks / Like

kilso, roundhead, arado line hatch and lemon just wath lee say

BAKMAS

i breed my possum sweater to my personal asil line this off season , produced 5 healthy chicks recently.

Post Thanks / Like

black mcrae
    joe goode greys

Post Thanks / Like

up for more suggestions....

Post Thanks / Like

radio roundhead hatch kelso greys other sweaters a good sweater will cross well with anything in my opinion

ozzieverne

Quote Originally Posted by kenny
    radio roundhead hatch kelso greys other sweaters a good sweater will cross well with anything in my opinion
    kenny how are the sweater radio cross at slicklizard? how are they doing? are good 4 longknife?

Post Thanks / Like

Coon dog..
    Quote Originally Posted by kcpumpkin1
    What is the best cross for a Carl Nesmith possum sweater for sk?

Post Thanks / Like

POSSUM SWEATERS

DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW THE POSSUM SWEATER GOT ITS NAME AND WHO BREED IT FIRST?????????
    Last edited by HE'S DEAD 1 FLY; June 12th, 2009 at 04:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PUSSUM SWEATERS

if im not mistaken, carol and chris nesmith of blackwater farms are the originators of the possum sweaters, and the tale is that one particular hen survived a possum attack, and she became known as the "possum" hen. that's how the line started, as far as i know.

junebug32

Quote Originally Posted by OER farms
    if im not mistaken, carol and chris nesmith of blackwater farms are the originators of the possum sweaters, and the tale is that one particular hen survived a possum attack, and she became known as the "possum" hen. that's how the line started, as far as i know.
    Thats the same story I read too.A hen survived a possum attack and she became the possun hen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by junebug32
    Thats the same story I read too.A hen survived a possum attack and she became the possun hen.

Post Thanks / Like

same story ive heard! hehe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: POSSUM SWEATERS

Quote Originally Posted by the_archangel
    same story ive heard! hehe

THAT IS WHAT I HEARD TO!!!!!!!! I WAS JUST CHECKING OUT WHAT I HEARD, THANKS GUY FOR THE INFO!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

thats what i heard too from some of our members here in sabong.net...

Post Thanks / Like

vCash: 500

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OER farms
    salamat sa info bro..now i know..hehehehe

3BCA/Cyberfriends arch_adonis_rmp's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

according to james clest dunn in cockfights mag, that possum hen was not actually a pure sweater but a cross that only carries like 50% sweater blood..

my curiousity asks if anyone here could share any input about dink's possum. surely, it is related to blackwater's but is dink's a refreshed one or very exactly the same (would then be deeply inbred, if ever).... any inputs please. thanks friends!
    Last edited by arch_adonis_rmp; June 17th, 2009 at 10:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

this is the version of Bruce about the possume sweater hen....

It was really in 1986 that i saw the first one. Newton, Odis and Damon had an entry. They showed some SWEATERS that day. I went to the cockhouse to see one of them. I really like them and i mentioned to Carol about it. Carol went to purchased a rooster from Odis Chappel. I went out and got a pair, a hen and a stag from Odis. The HEN was later called the POSSUME HEN.

Same as Carol mentioned about purchasing a pair of sweater to Odis Chappel.. and provably Bruce,as feeder of Carol, they work together during that time, is the one who pick up the said pair of sweater to Odis. As continued by Carol about the story about this Odis sweater hen....is the most beautiful hen he got and every feeding time Carol always look to this Sweater Hen of Odis..until one day during feeding time....he did not see this Sweater Hen...Carol and Bruce look around to find this Sweater hen and found under the tree with a nest..
    After a number of days visiting the sweater hen..they found only feather and egg shell into the nest... thinking that possume took the egg and Odis Sweater Hen....
    A day after by surprice they saw the sweater hen with no feather on the back and bruttaly wounded...they put her on the cage and feed her...so everytime Carol asK to water or feed the Odis Sweater Hen ....he always mentioned....FEED OR PUT WATER ON THE POSSUME HEN....

and the blackwater POSSUME SWEATER we got to date, is the nick cross of POSSUME HEN AND A ?????? Cock...... only Carol and Bruce knows, "to be continued....

" Provably all the offsring out of this matting they call them POSSUME SWEATER" of the Blackwater Gamefarm (original creator of the possume sweater line)

HAPPY KASABONG
    Last edited by loisbugoy; June 18th, 2009 at 04:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

h right..........................

Post Thanks / Like

nice info loisbugoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loisbugoy
    this is the version of Bruce about the possume sweater hen....

It was really in 1986 that i saw the first one. Newton, Odis and Damon had an entry. They showed some SWEATERS that day. I went to the cockhouse to see one of them. I really like them and i mentioned to Carol about it. Carol went to purchased a rooster from Odis Chappel. I went out and got a pair, a hen and a stag from Odis. The HEN was later called the POSSUME HEN.

Same as Carol mentioned about purchasing a pair of sweater to Odis Chappel.. and provably Bruce,as feeder of Carol, they work together during that time, is the one who pick up the said pair of sweater to Odis. As continued by Carol about the story about this Odis sweater hen....is the most beautiful hen he got and every feeding time Carol always look to this Sweater Hen of Odis..until one day during feeding time....he did not see this Sweater Hen...Carol and Bruce look around to find this Sweater hen and found under the tree with a nest..
    After a number of days visiting the sweater hen..they found only feather and egg shell into the nest... thinking that possume took the egg and Odis Sweater Hen....
    A day after by surprice they saw the sweater hen with no feather on the back and bruttaly wounded...they put her on the cage and feed her...so everytime Carol asK to water or feed the Odis Sweater Hen ....he always mentioned....FEED OR PUT WATER ON THE POSSUME HEN....

and the blackwater POSSUME SWEATER we got to date, is the nick cross of POSSUME HEN AND A ?????? Cock...... only Carol and Bruce knows, "to be continued....

" Provably all the offsring out of this matting they call them POSSUME SWEATER" of the Blackwater Gamefarm (original creator of the possume sweater line)

HAPPY KASABONG

THAT IS A VERY GREAT STORY, THANKS FOR THE INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: POSSUM SWEATERS

Hello,
    This is the Possum hen article from Grit and Steel. written by Carol NeSmith.
    When she was a pullet she was very beautiful. She had a high fantail, very good station and a body like a football. We let her run loose on a free range at the farm and
    one day at feeding time I missed her. Not wanting anything to happen to her,I started
    to look for her. Bruce Barnett was doing a lot of breeding at Black Water Farm at that
    time and had been for years. Bruce and I located the possum pullet under a root of a large oak tree. She had stollen a nest off under the root and was setting her own eggs.
    Not thinking anything would happen to her, we left her there and planned to catch her in
    a few days and put her in a pen. In a few days we returned to the place where she had
    been under the root setting. We only found feathers and a possum had eaten all her
    eggs and we thought we had lost her too. A few days later while we were feeding she
    showed up with no tail feathers and a very bad bite in her back from the possum .
    After a little doctoring she was okay and we put her in a pen. From that time on the name just stuck, we would say, "go feed and water the possum hen". We bred her back to
    her father and that's the possum side of the sweater.
    Thank you,
    toppies87

Post Thanks / Like

Possum Sweater

Hello what crosses have you tried using the possum sweater that has nicked for you. How did you breed? to the hen or to the cock? results and pics will be greatly appreciated. Someone also said that they cross well with asil.

gerka

Re: Possum Sweater

I always wonder when people ask this question as to what goes well when crossed to a particular bloodline...the possum blood as i believe is a cross in itself made into a strain by carol nesmith, meaning it is good as itself as a broodstock and is fought..why mess with something that the breeder have already made as a nick?

Anyway, as i have read, it crosses well with the YLH and gilmores....Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

The reason why I ask this question is let's say I purchase a possum trio I will only be able to breed it straight for a few years. At some point in time I will eventually have to infuse some new blood into it in order to keep that line going. I know that I can infuse in and with time try to refine that infusion, meanwhile what are some crosses that have worked for some of my fellow cockmates? I also believe that you have to be competitive and always try to be at the top of your game. As a breeder I will try to find that nick that alot of us are after to hopefully give me that extra edge that we look for. I have seen many sweaters shown pure that do really good and I have seen many sweaters that have been crossed with albany, ylh, and kelso just to name a few. in some cases I do think that greatly improved their fighting ability. I ask this question out of curiosity only.!!!

So let me rephrase my question, what have you crossed with your possum sweaters either for infusion of breeding purposes, or for battle cross that has worked for you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerka
    I always wonder when people ask this question as to what goes well when crossed to a particular bloodline...the possum blood as i believe is a cross in itself made into a strain by carol nesmith, meaning it is good as itself as a broodstock and is fought..why mess with something that the breeder have already made as a nick?

Anyway, as i have read, it crosses well with the YLH and gilmores....Thanks!
    I think in sk its ok to figth sweater pure but LK I think u have to infuse a different blood like the heavy bone strain like for example the hatches. I have not heard of anyone winning a major derby dito sa Pinas figthing a pure sweater. Maybe 7/8 sweater ok na.

Kelso and Yellow legged Hatch was breed together to form the Sweater line. Just like Gerka said possum is a cross in itself. Why not fight it pure if originally it is cross. Well my friends that why its called breeding. Only save the best and cull the rest.