Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Possum Sweater

gerka

Re: Possum Sweater

Quote Originally Posted by shuffler01
    The reason why I ask this question is let's say I purchase a possum trio I will only be able to breed it straight for a few years. At some point in time I will eventually have to infuse some new blood into it in order to keep that line going. I know that I can infuse in and with time try to refine that infusion, meanwhile what are some crosses that have worked for some of my fellow cockmates? I also believe that you have to be competitive and always try to be at the top of your game. As a breeder I will try to find that nick that alot of us are after to hopefully give me that extra edge that we look for. I have seen many sweaters shown pure that do really good and I have seen many sweaters that have been crossed with albany, ylh, and kelso just to name a few. in some cases I do think that greatly improved their fighting ability. I ask this question out of curiosity only.!!!

So let me rephrase my question, what have you crossed with your possum sweaters either for infusion of breeding purposes, or for battle cross that has worked for you?
    I have nothing against you asking that question sir, in fact i am as curious as you are...nothing is certain in gamefowl breeding, that's what make this passion interesting...

When carol and nene became WSC champs i believe these possums are the one they used..just wondering why we dont hear that much from this bloodline, sign that it's time for some infusions as what our cockmate just asked?...Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerka
    I always wonder when people ask this question as to what goes well when crossed to a particular bloodline...the possum blood as i believe is a cross in itself made into a strain by carol nesmith, meaning it is good as itself as a broodstock and is fought..why mess with something that the breeder have already made as a nick?

Anyway, as i have read, it crosses well with the YLH and gilmores....Thanks!
    Correct me if im wrong....
    Almost all 'pure' bloodlines now were crosses or infused with other bloodlines. Not just Possum...

Post Thanks / Like

that is true sir chris!!! pure would only be referred as to how the breeder blended a certain strain to produce his own version.. let's say circle L blueface hatches are pure hatches as bred by the late mamie lacson and very well maintained by his son joey. anybody can breed their own bluefaces no matter what the composition so long as it fits the standard of a blueface hatch cock.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Possum Sweater

Quote Originally Posted by Nortacs
    that is true sir chris!!! pure would only be referred as to how the breeder blended a certain strain to produce his own version.. let's say circle L blueface hatches are pure hatches as bred by the late mamie lacson and very well maintained by his son joey. anybody can breed their own bluefaces no matter what the composition so long as it fits the standard of a blueface hatch cock.
    very well said. i agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spaggy811
    very well said. i agree.
    thanks sir!! keep on cocking!!!
    good luck to all!!

Post Thanks / Like

approximately two to three weeks ago I spoke to mr. Carol N. He told me that the possum strain is the purest strain that they have at Blackwater. The rest of their strains must have something infused into them to give them a different fighting style. He mentioned that the 5000 line as he calls it is heavy in ylh, Like it was mentioned earlier I have seen many sweaters in action, but never have I seen or heard of any one winning any type of derby using only pure sweater strain. To mr Gerka ( hope I spelled it right) no hard feelings. One of my breedings this year was Sanford sweater pullet on Johny Moore albany.

Post Thanks / Like

Shuffler01,...to your question..."So let me rephrase my question, what have you crossed with your possum sweaters either for infusion of breeding purposes, or for battle cross that has worked for you?"

For infusion, for possum of Blackwater, i got a Bruce Barnett double right...and for battle cross, i used either gilmore hatch or Mel Simms hatch...

Post Thanks / Like

approximately two to three weeks ago I spoke to mr. Carol N. He told me that the possum strain is the purest strain that they have at Blackwater. The rest of their strains must have something infused into them to give them a different fighting style. He mentioned that the 5000 line as he calls it is heavy in ylh, Like it was mentioned earlier I have seen many sweaters in action, but never have I seen or heard of any one winning any type of derby using only pure sweater strain. To mr Gerka ( hope I spelled it right) no hard feelings. One of my breedings this year was Sanford sweater pullet on Johny Moore albany.

Im fighting my Blackwater Possums in derby, Pure.

I mated them to:
    $5,000 Sweaters, Gilmore Hatches, Stewart YLH, Ray Hoskins YLH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjr
    Correct me if im wrong....
    Almost all 'pure' bloodlines now were crosses or infused with other bloodlines. Not just Possum...
    Sir chrisjr, i agree

Post Thanks / Like

Are there any green/blue legged possums? if there are - how come it's the yellow legged ones that are popular? Since the topics are mating possums maybe my question has some relevance..and if not - i apologize.... some clarity on this on this one amigos...very curious reader also...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperHammerhead
    Are there any green/blue legged possums? if there are - how come it's the yellow legged ones that are popular? Since the topics are mating possums maybe my question has some relevance..and if not - i apologize.... some clarity on this on this one amigos...very curious reader also...
    Bro Caloy,,, save me next year of your dark legged possums...

gerka

Haha my greetings and peace to you sir shuffler01, and yes i do agree with you sir chrisjr that all established bloodlines of today are basically crosses themselves bred into purity by the breeder into his standards...

I've seen the personally the imported Blackwater possum of sir aemartinez acquired directly from blackwater farms and as my correspondence with his handler they fight them pure and ALSO crosses well with gilmores and YL Hatches also acquired from blackwater farms...it's one of their winningest lines in the yard...good looking, awesome bloodline...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nortacs
    . anybody can breed their own bluefaces no matter what the composition so long as it fits the standard of a blueface hatch cock.
    or looking at it the other way....
    anybody can call their chickens any name no matter what the composition . ; - )
    a name is just another name.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Gerka, Chrisjr, Stripper and to everybody else that posted a reply. I think that this turned out to be an interesting topic. I have Joe Sanford sweater crossed to albany and to my seven time winner Allen rounhead. I am interested in the possum because like mr. Carol said it is his purest strain of sweater, good luck in all your future breedings and by all means keep the comments coming.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's up this thread to get more information.

I would like also to thank Carol Nesmith for answering my question on the other thread of what is the real bloodline of the broodfowls which the local breeder got from him where I acquired my broodcock. They were possum sweater.

I crossed him with a BBsweater-Albany cross and the offsprings are awesome.

I crossed him with a Stinger Grey and had the same.

I crossed him with a Lacy Roundhead and yet to be tested.

Post Thanks / Like

heres mine. asil cock over possum hens...
    Last edited by aemartinez; July 27th, 2009 at 10:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

blackwater sweater possum cock
    Last edited by aemartinez; July 27th, 2009 at 10:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a sweater that i got from jason cambel it is 12 years old and will break over your head some of the best sweater blood i ever saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aemartinez
    blackwater sweater possum cock

very nice grade...and nice farm too...

Post Thanks / Like

Possum

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aristocrassy

WOW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Can you post more pics of the crosses that you have made using possum sweater?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aristocrassy
    Beautiful!!!! Is it a Blackwater Possum?

Post Thanks / Like

bw possum

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperHammerhead

Sir i believe green leg sweater's...yes there is.....but blue leg sweaters havent seen one...possume are originally came from the blackwater farm....provably we can ask carol..seen's there are really exitance of green leg sweaters...

Post Thanks / Like

The reason why I ask this question is let's say I purchase a possum trio I will only be able to breed it straight for a few years. At some point in time I will eventually have to infuse some new blood into it in order to keep that line going. I know that I can infuse in and with time try to refine that infusion, meanwhile what are some crosses that have worked for some of my fellow cockmates? I also believe that you have to be competitive and always try to be at the top of your game. As a breeder I will try to find that nick that alot of us are after to hopefully give me that extra edge that we look for. I have seen many sweaters shown pure that do really good and I have seen many sweaters that have been crossed with albany, ylh, and kelso just to name a few. in some cases I do think that greatly improved their fighting ability. I ask this question out of curiosity only.!!!

So let me rephrase my question, what have you crossed with your possum sweaters either for infusion of breeding purposes, or for battle cross that has worked for you?
    why do we need infusion in your birds if they are good enough? how can we maintain that line without infusing new blood in it? if the original stocks get old is that the only way to maintain it? after a few years we have to acquire to breeders that we bought our stocks? whats the best way to maintain that certain line?

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by stingerfmla; August 15th, 2009 at 12:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I got my possum from blackwatersfarm wayback 2006 plus YLH Stuart, YLHmclean, Gilmores, $5000 line. Possum line best crosses with gilmores, YLHmclean,$5000 line.. If 50/50 I used possum hen & if 3/4-1/4 possum cock..plus the 3 way cross which CHRIS said a vertical sweater..I used this crosses of blackwatersfarm last year stags derby in Iloilo city and I'm one of the champion PAGBA 8 stags derby & UGBAP 8 stags derby..I hope we could do it again this year..cheers

Post Thanks / Like

cross with BBsweater-Albany (winner) - no loss on the other 5 male sibs

cross with stinger grey (winner) - no loss on the other 2 male sibs

cross with lacy roundhead (to be tested stags) - 5 males sibs

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for posting more pictures. Like I said before, as a breeder I am always looking to see how I can create better gamefowl. I currently have Johny Moore albany, Jr Strange lieper, black shufffler (which are the alabama special) allen & lacy rounhead, my newest addition is a pair of Bobby Boles Asils. I have tried to post some pictures but it always tells me that the file is to big and that I need to make it smaller, I don't know how to do that when classes start next semester I will try to get some help from my computer professor. Thanks again for all the replies.