Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 132

Thread: BLACK SUMATRA

  
  1. #1
    Cyberfriends CALVIN2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FOOTHILLS ,NORTH CAROLINA
    Posts
    1,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    BLACK SUMATRA

    The BLACK SUMATRA blood was used to add speed to some old breeds ,like the original Blue Face Hatch and Sid Taylors but you never hear of them anymore seems all breeds have been put into a catagory of just Asils ?
    ANYONE USE THIS BLOOD LINE ANYMORE ???
    THIS PARAGRAPH TAKEN FROM THE HISTORY OF GAME FOWL : Sometime later, Sweater decided he needed more speed in his fowl and someone sold him a family of Three Spurs from
    Washington State. These cocks had a normal spur plus a rudimentary spur above and below it. I know of at least one modern family of Blueface that show this trait and some of the cocks cannot be heeled properly until these small spurs are clipped off. I understand the black Sumatra Jungle Fowl and their descendants have this odd spur formation.
    Last edited by CALVIN2; July 24th, 2009 at 10:58 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member jtfarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    manila
    Posts
    2,236
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    sir,do you have sumatra rooster?

  3. #3
    Cyberfriends CALVIN2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FOOTHILLS ,NORTH CAROLINA
    Posts
    1,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    Not Full,I Have A 7/8 Sid Taylor/1/8 Sumatra Cock With Multi Spurs.stags he sire's do not show trait .
    Last edited by CALVIN2; July 27th, 2009 at 08:12 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member borderlinefowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    www.borderlinefowl.com
    Posts
    743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    Quote Originally Posted by CALVIN2
    The BLACK SUMATRA blood was used to add speed to some old breeds ,like the original Blue Face Hatch and Sid Taylors but you never hear of them anymore seems all breeds have been put into a catagory of just Asils ?
    ANYONE USE THIS BLOOD LINE ANYMORE ???
    THIS PARAGRAPH TAKEN FROM THE HISTORY OF GAME FOWL : Sometime later, Sweater decided he needed more speed in his fowl and someone sold him a family of Three Spurs from
    Washington State. These cocks had a normal spur plus a rudimentary spur above and below it. I know of at least one modern family of Blueface that show this trait and some of the cocks cannot be heeled properly until these small spurs are clipped off. I understand the black Sumatra Jungle Fowl and their descendants have this odd spur formation.
    this doesnt say anything aout the sumatra breed being int he hatch or any thing else just a simular trait what amkes you think it is in the blood i too have the history strains book and dont remember any where any one saying it is in any modern game blood correct me if im wrong and i will turn in my book =with you and you can show me where it says it is in modern pit fowl

  5. #5
    Senior Member marcusrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mangatarem,Pangasinan
    Posts
    749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    Quote Originally Posted by CALVIN2
    Not Full,i Have A 3/4 Sid Taylor/1/4 Sumatra Cock With Multi Spurs.

    just curious, in your experience, can these 1/4 sumatra blood withstand the steel ?

  6. #6
    Cyberfriends CALVIN2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FOOTHILLS ,NORTH CAROLINA
    Posts
    1,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    I SIMPLY ASK A QUESTION ,I SIR MADE NO DECLARATION IF IT IS OR ISN'T IN THE BLOOD JUST COPIED AND PASTED A COMMENT I FOUND INTRIGUING ,HOW MANY BREEDS DO YOU KNOW OF IN THE WORLD WITH MULTI-SPURS TRAIT? AND THIS COCK HAS BEEN FOUGHT 12 TIMES AND HURT ,HOWEVER I AM CONFUSED IN YOUR TONE ,HAS MY SIMPLE QUESTION OFFENDED YOU ????
    Quote Originally Posted by borderlinefowl
    this doesnt say anything aout the sumatra breed being int he hatch or any thing else just a simular trait what amkes you think it is in the blood i too have the history strains book and dont remember any where any one saying it is in any modern game blood correct me if im wrong and i will turn in my book =with you and you can show me where it says it is in modern pit fowl

  7. #7
    Senior Member Camarines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Posts
    3,096
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    Quote Originally Posted by CALVIN2
    The BLACK SUMATRA blood was used to add speed to some old breeds ,like the original Blue Face Hatch and Sid Taylors but you never hear of them anymore seems all breeds have been put into a catagory of just Asils ?
    ANYONE USE THIS BLOOD LINE ANYMORE ???
    THIS PARAGRAPH TAKEN FROM THE HISTORY OF GAME FOWL : Sometime later, Sweater decided he needed more speed in his fowl and someone sold him a family of Three Spurs from
    Washington State. These cocks had a normal spur plus a rudimentary spur above and below it. I know of at least one modern family of Blueface that show this trait and some of the cocks cannot be heeled properly until these small spurs are clipped off. I understand the black Sumatra Jungle Fowl and their descendants have this odd spur formation.
    I think the Sumatra fowls are still around except they're more of a show fowl. Don't they have pheasants blood in them?

  8. #8
    Cyberfriends CALVIN2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FOOTHILLS ,NORTH CAROLINA
    Posts
    1,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    THE WAY I UNDERSTAND IT ,THEY COME FROM THE ISLAND OF SUMATRA ( JUNGLE FOWL )
    Quote Originally Posted by Camarines
    I think the Sumatra fowls are still around except they're more of a show fowl. Don't they have pheasants blood in them?

  9. #9
    Senior Member don b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Las Pinas
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    This is a double spurr throwback from a three-spur fame fowl used. Though it goes to say that it could contain some % of Sumatra blood, I still don't think so?

    http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...rrr/dspurr.jpg

  10. #10
    Senior Member Camarines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Posts
    3,096
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    Here's the hatchery where they carry Black Sumatra chicks http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/sumatras.html

  11. #11
    Senior Member borderlinefowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    www.borderlinefowl.com
    Posts
    743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    Quote Originally Posted by CALVIN2
    HOWEVER I AM CONFUSED IN YOUR TONE
    not sure how you heard me reading my typing is not a direct interpratation of how i intended this to be taken no harm was intended i appologize

  12. #12
    Senior Member mahal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    771
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    heres my friend 4x winner sumatra unscratched


  13. #13
    Senior Member arnel2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    mr mahal sumatra breed are black birds.all black including the face.

  14. #14
    Senior Member mahal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    771
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    Quote Originally Posted by arnel2008
    mr mahal sumatra breed are black birds.all black including the face.
    arnel this is 1/2 sumatra 1/2 blufaced we crossed him to pure black sumatra hen im gonna take pictures tom ,

  15. #15
    Cyberfriends CALVIN2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FOOTHILLS ,NORTH CAROLINA
    Posts
    1,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    "Ga Cua - Vietnamese Steel Game Fowl."
    ,
    I did not know of this thread when I posted "Black Sumatra "
    there were some very good opinions and comments ..

  16. #16
    CyberFriends EAA Indians's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Posts
    2,041
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    Quote Originally Posted by jtfarm
    sir,do you have sumatra rooster?
    Calvin, are you handsomer than your Sumatra?

    Seriously, I was told by an old timer from Florida who crossed his Toppy Grey to a Black Sumatra and they all won. In the 1970's, there was a black Sumatra battlecross and he vaguely remembered that it was in the Arizona area. The old timer and I tried to search for his old time buddy who would know where to find them, but we had no success.

    I am not sure if Bobby Boles also infused the black Sumatra to his Asils.

    Good luck........ed

  17. #17
    Senior Member Mike Everett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    Why would you want to infuse non-game blood into gamefowl? Sumatra have long been bred for show and have lost their "Gameness" if it was ever there.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Camarines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Posts
    3,096
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    I retyped this information from an old website that I printed off.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  19. #19
    Senior Member Camarines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Posts
    3,096
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    The old website still exists, here it is http://www.geocities.com/asiangame/sumatra.htm

  20. #20
    Member dunk386's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    I grow up in Rizal.
    Posts
    129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    nice thread let's keep it up.........

  21. #21
    pinoysabun
    Guest

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Everett
    Why would you want to infuse non-game blood into gamefowl? Sumatra have long been bred for show and have lost their "Gameness" if it was ever there.
    mr. everett,
    what evidence suggest that this fowl is not game today?
    who here can authenticate the gameness of a pure Sumatra?
    please enlighten us.
    thank you

  22. #22
    Senior Member mahal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    771
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    Quote Originally Posted by Camarines
    I retyped this information from an old website that I printed off.
    thanks for the info..

  23. #23
    Senior Member Mike Everett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    Quote Originally Posted by pinoysabun
    mr. everett,
    what evidence suggest that this fowl is not game today?
    who here can authenticate the gameness of a pure Sumatra?
    please enlighten us.
    thank you
    put a pair of gaffs on them and see........

  24. #24
    Senior Member rodrigoski2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,500
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    got mine from phoenix game farm of rom in bulacan.won 3x very easy for me.1x fastest kill.fought ang lost againts a hennie last year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  25. #25
    albert c
    Guest

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    I used to have a battlefowl with just one spur each leg, but the spur looks like it peirched through the leg on the other side. This fowl won me 3 times unscratched. But when I tried to breed him he died of some unknown disease.

    My AVATAR here, I bought that from Jimmy East Sr., in Dec. 2008 in Huntsville, Alabama...has 2 spurs per leg. He's style...he waits and take off vertical. He's not a winner, coz I use him as broodcock to produced more. But I don't have luck with his produced. By the time they get to 4 or 5 months old they get sick easily and die.

    I don't know if this fowl has Sumatra blood or not, but he sure packs a lot of wallop real hard.

    Last edited by albert c; August 21st, 2009 at 10:33 AM.

  26. #26
    Jonjon
    Guest

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    We had some sumatras on our farm for a few years. They are smaller like 3.5-4.0 pounds..They like to attack people but they ran from gamecocks. If you look I have post some threads about this before... They have 3 spurs and they are black sumatras and blue sumatras. They may have been game at one time. But I dont know about now.I will post a pics here in a minute...

  27. #27
    Jonjon
    Guest

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    okay here is a pic of the sumatras we had....

  28. #28
    Senior Member bully12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    sabungan
    Posts
    1,213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    check the web site of phoenix firebird,they use sumatra black
    http://www.phoenixfirebird.e-gamefar...lack%20Phoenix

  29. #29
    Senior Member Mike Everett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    Quote Originally Posted by bully12
    check the web site of phoenix firebird,they use sumatra black
    http://www.phoenixfirebird.e-gamefar...lack%20Phoenix
    I think there is some confusion here, just because a bird is black doesn't mean they are Sumatra or contain Sumatra genes. The phoenix fowl look nothing like true Sumatra. I'm not saying they don't contain any Sumatra ancestors, but they show none of the traits, that I can see. Compare them to example above from Jonjon.
    Last edited by Mike Everett; August 21st, 2009 at 11:34 AM.

  30. #30
    Senior Member rodrigoski2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,500
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: BLACK SUMATRA

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Everett
    I think there is some confusion here, just because a bird is black doesn't mean they are Sumatra or contain Sumatra genes. The phoenix fowl look nothing like true Sumatra. I'm not saying they don't contain any Sumatra ancestors, but they show none of the traits, that I can see. Compare them to example above from Jonjon.
    my apologies sir.it was advertised as sumatras when i bought them.rob told me that they bred them and crossed to their black strain. they we're very game and winning line. i bought 2 and won them both.the 2nd one died on his 2nd win.

Similar Threads

  1. black sumatra
    By johnc2309 in forum Chicken Talk
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: July 19th, 2014, 12:28 PM
  2. Black Sumatra
    By mcleanhatch1 in forum Chicken Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: May 11th, 2012, 08:53 AM
  3. sumatra rooster
    By waipahu94 in forum Chicken Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 31st, 2011, 11:07 AM
  4. Black Sumatra
    By mazdacamaro in forum Chicken Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 12th, 2011, 10:23 AM
  5. black sumatra
    By birdbrain in forum Chicken Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 30th, 2006, 07:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •