Can soneone tell me about these fowl.

I heard they got it all.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coon Kelso

Quote Originally Posted by trueedge
    Can soneone tell me about these fowl.

I heard they got it all.
    Aloha Trueedge!!!!

I tell you there is not much more to say about the Coon`s except they have what it takes to get the Job done, the bad side to it is they can be very mean and man fighters but when used just for infusion purposes, they will come out NFL Superstar Players......That Bloodline is very sharp and potent if you know what I mean, we showed them last season and we actually Won the Show with them, they break High, always shoving there feet straight out with there neck and head backwards, they cut well, every single Coon we have fought have always finished there opponent on the first fly, serious................That is why I have been searching for them for along time, that is why I bought out Rick Beal, his Coon`s are the real Deal buddy..........I will now be breeding them a lot but keeping them pure and crossing them to my RH`s.....Anyways just wanted to share that with you...

Aloha

Bullodg
    "Hatch Country Game Farm"

3. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes Yunke8888, Krackers Koop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1969
    Aloha Trueedge!!!!

I tell you there is not much more to say about the Coon`s except they have what it takes to get the Job done, the bad side to it is they can be very mean and man fighters but when used just for infusion purposes, they will come out NFL Superstar Players......That Bloodline is very sharp and potent if you know what I mean, we showed them last season and we actually Won the Show with them, they break High, always shoving there feet straight out with there neck and head backwards, they cut well, every single Coon we have fought have always finished there opponent on the first fly, serious................That is why I have been searching for them for along time, that is why I bought out Rick Beal, his Coon`s are the real Deal buddy..........I will now be breeding them a lot but keeping them pure and crossing them to my RH`s.....Anyways just wanted to share that with you...

Aloha

Bullodg
    Thank you Bulldog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trueedge
    Thank you Bulldog
    Anytime my friend!!!!!

Bulldog

Post Thanks / Like

Dan Grey of Louisiana made the "Coons" famous..he's a "CoonAss"..that's nickname for a Cajun/and someone from Louiaiana is called this. This may not be necessarily true, but I heard they were Hatch/Kelso or vise versa. I've heard the original breeder was Jim Kent, don't know if this is true, but I do know Dan fought some very bad hombres..dark red yellow legs.
    Last edited by Mike Everett; October 3rd, 2009 at 04:19 AM.

7. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm did Dan Gray have kelsos peacomb, W/L black spur and dark red? How many familys of Kelso did Dan gray have?

My Buddy has the W/L ones for a long time....
    Last edited by 5SAINTS; October 3rd, 2009 at 04:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike yes Jim Kent of Orang Grove is the original breeder of the Coons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5SAINTS
    Hmmm did Dan Gray have kelsos peacomb, W/L black spur and dark red? How many familys of Kelso did Dan gray have?

My Buddy has the W/L ones for a long time....
    Saints some could have been WL, but I'm pretty sure the ones I saw at Texoma were YL, but that was ten yrs or so back...but they were dark reds....lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Everett
    Saints some could have been WL, but I'm pretty sure the ones I saw at Texoma were YL, but that was ten yrs or so back...but they were dark reds....lol
    Lolz 10 years good memory....Wish I could've seen them back then....Thanks for the info!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We never got any birds directly from Dan Gray or Jim Kent but have experience with their birds. My uncle got him some birds from Jim Kent for a while and many of them did come YL and dark red. Then we heard about Dan Gray and his Coons and we were lucky to be able to get some from a friend on the neighboring island. They looked a lot like the ones Jim Kent sent himself.

I heard the whole Jim Kent orginated the Coons story as well. Any truth to it? I don't know. I do know that the YL reds that were from Mr. Kent were Hatch/Kelso blends.

Good birds is all I could say about them. Nice full bodies and tight feathered. They've got a serious case of "bad intentions." These birds hit, hit, and hit even more with bad intentions.

my two cents ..

Post Thanks / Like

Yah theres truth to it...Thats the truth for sure.

The reason some of Dan Grey's Coons can come dark red and WL is Dan Gray added Claret blood to his Coons.

Post Thanks / Like

the Coons or coonass were made by Roland Landry of Lousiana, father in-law of Jim Kent. The original mating was a Curtis Blackwell hatch over bubba Rollins kelso.

15. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex-g
    the Coons or coonass were made by Roland Landry of Lousiana, father in-law of Jim Kent. The original mating was a Curtis Blackwell hatch over bubba Rollins kelso.

That's what I heard to, It was 3/4 kelso 1/4 hatch set as a strain.

17. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had the coons from Dan and yes they are some of the games roosters alive. I have been around Dan and Mike a longtime and we've heard a lot about the coons. Never heard of him breeding the coons to the clarets. We fought them in Copperstate and in La at a lot of the pits around the area. these birds were always pea comb, yellow legged, and very high strung. I know of only one person with them now or maybe two but I don't think that they will sell any of them. Heard many stories about how they were made but you'd have to ask Dan because Jim is no longer with us.

Aloha Butch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by butch hawaii
    I've had the coons from Dan and yes they are some of the games roosters alive. I have been around Dan and Mike a longtime and we've heard a lot about the coons. Never heard of him breeding the coons to the clarets. We fought them in Copperstate and in La at a lot of the pits around the area. these birds were always pea comb, yellow legged, and very high strung. I know of only one person with them now or maybe two but I don't think that they will sell any of them. Heard many stories about how they were made but you'd have to ask Dan because Jim is no longer with us.

Aloha Butch
    I understand Mr. Dan Gray is no longer breeding , is that true ? and the w/legeged roosters are roundhear. can you PM the contact number from Mr. Dan Gray

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

COON.. NOT COON KELSO per BluffCreek

http://www.gamerooster.com/programs/...ighlight=coons
    roland got kelsos from bubba roland of new orleans-bubba got them from walter kelso of galveston texas...roland from baton rouge la new curtis blackwell and received cocks from curtis....rolands daughter was tammy and she married jim kent from orange grove la...jim bought hatch chickens from curtis as well..he bred these cocks buy the hundreds-yep hundreds...i seen over 700 of these coon cocks because they killed a coon in the brooder and watched them grow up....fed -fought-and handled these birds...(frenchy) handled2 shows of them at sunset when i was fighting at midamerica(frenchy) was RAY COMMO..a damn good rooster man...DAN GREY bought 200 cocks from Jim and paid 250.00 for each cock....the next year dan bought some of the coons from jim....and this is how Dan came by getting the coons..he bought them from BIG JIM...Roland Landy was the ones to breed the hatch/kelsosJim set them as a strainfrom Curtis AND Bubba..Dan bought them and had great success at copperstate and later bought some of the sisiters to the cocks....most all cocks came dark red with a lemon ring at bottom of shaw and yellow legs-p comb. very few came st comb.. with a 2 inch white in streamer feathers only...the hens came both green and yellow legs but most were 75% p comb and 25% st comb......these were very good birds and there was plenty to choose from....you cant pick 50 good roosters from 700 you ought to be able to have the best in the world id think.....these roosters never thought they were behind and 90% never was.......................they are good in any weapon... Bluffcreek

21. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a long conversation w/ one of Jim's former handler/feeder/farm hand the Coons are 5/8 Walter Kelso 3/8 Blackwell Hatch. The Kelso Roland Landry had came direct from Walter Kelso and the Blackwell Hatch straight from Curtis Blackwell. I have some of the Orange Grove Coons and also a family from Riverview Farms. Riverviews are supposed to be from Dan Gray and is who Dan will refer you to if you ar interested in them. Fortunitly I have both the Orange Grove Coons and also the Blackwell GL hatch that was used in the making.

23. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

riverview of california is said to have the coosn kelso real dark red pea combed with bright yellow legs. Real good looking chickens.

25. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke23
    I had a long conversation w/ one of Jim's former handler/feeder/farm hand the Coons are 5/8 Walter Kelso 3/8 Blackwell Hatch. The Kelso Roland Landry had came direct from Walter Kelso and the Blackwell Hatch straight from Curtis Blackwell. I have some of the Orange Grove Coons and also a family from Riverview Farms. Riverviews are supposed to be from Dan Gray and is who Dan will refer you to if you ar interested in them. Fortunitly I have both the Orange Grove Coons and also the Blackwell GL hatch that was used in the making.
    Smoke are the Orang Grove straight or pea head?

Post Thanks / Like

SMOKE,
    YOU ONLY SAY CURTIS BLACKWELL HATCH...IS THAT THE LIEPER HATCH HE BLEND.
    COZ" THOSE BLACKWELL LIEPER HATCH WERE OWESOME...
    LAST MAY BAKBAKAN 8 BULLSTAG DERBY IN ARANETA COLISEUM MY FRIEND SHOW
    TWO LIEPER BULLSTAG ONE WAS MATCH UP TO MR. ALBANO OF MULAWIN AND WIN
    BOTH LIEPER WIN..ANYWAY IN THAT LAST DAY 4WIN NO LESSES.
    REGIONAL ELIMINATION 4WIN NO LOSSES WITH THE TOTAL OF 8WIN ONE OF THE CHAMPION IN NFGB DERBY.

Post Thanks / Like

the coons made Dan Gray very famous before his roundheads' time.

Some says that his roundheads are also part coons in their make up hence their darker red color compared to other roundheads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1969
    Aloha Trueedge!!!!

Aloha

Bullodg
    There goog gamefowls. I've crossed the Coons with my Kelso and they came out great. Once when molting is done I'll take pics.

Post Thanks / Like

"Smoke are the Orang Grove straight or pea head?" Truedge
    Truedge mine come PC and YL.
    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...3/DSC01097.jpg
    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...Broodcock3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bogoy
    SMOKE,
    YOU ONLY SAY CURTIS BLACKWELL HATCH...IS THAT THE LIEPER HATCH HE BLEND.
    COZ" THOSE BLACKWELL LIEPER HATCH WERE OWESOME...
    LAST MAY BAKBAKAN 8 BULLSTAG DERBY IN ARANETA COLISEUM MY FRIEND SHOW
    TWO LIEPER BULLSTAG ONE WAS MATCH UP TO MR. ALBANO OF MULAWIN AND WIN
    BOTH LIEPER WIN..ANYWAY IN THAT LAST DAY 4WIN NO LESSES.
    REGIONAL ELIMINATION 4WIN NO LOSSES WITH THE TOTAL OF 8WIN ONE OF THE CHAMPION IN NFGB DERBY.
    I was told mine are the old 42 Hatch liine that Curtis and Harold used from JD Perry. THey came to me from a close friend that had known Curtis for years through his grandfather and fed and handled for him at one point.
    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...DSC01111-1.jpg
    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...DSC01103-1.jpg
    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...33/GLHatch.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

"Smoke are the Orang Grove straight or pea head?" Truedge
    Truedge mine come PC and YL.
    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...3/DSC01097.jpg
    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...Broodcock3.jpg

I was told mine are the old 42 Hatch liine that Curtis and Harold used from JD Perry. THey came to me from a close friend that had known Curtis for years through his grandfather and fed and handled for him at one point.
    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...DSC01111-1.jpg
    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...DSC01103-1.jpg
    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...33/GLHatch.jpg
    good looking kelso

32. Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KNACK808
    good looking kelso
    Thanks ... but I just like to to call mine Coons. I have been sucessful in crossing them on greys, whitehackles and even butcher. That butcher cross is rough on the ground.

34. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Coon Kelso

Guys - thank you - I am glad to see this thread. We got some Kelsos from North Carolina and the breeder said they were Cajuns (or Coons ) and we could not find much info about them.
    They certainly are quick and cut.
    The Breeder also said some Sweaters that had Coon blood in them.

36. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anymore pictures, Info(style, body type, etc), video, of this Line????
    Please keep posting....

Post Thanks / Like

Ive seen a couple at a stag derby S/k did good just not my flavor My cousin has some when we sparred the there first time they come out fast and really good lots of people out here have them. they are popular but just not what i like there are lots of people who breed them i got friends that stand bye them though. so you know they are good fowl at the derby the stags lost but did cut good just to much flying and not enough cutting real active birds. this is just my assesment of what ive seen this might not be true for other breeders

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for some coons blood. Does somebody have the same blood that bulldog has from the same breeder. Thanks walls

Post Thanks / Like

Windy hill farms advertises the coon kelso,they have a website.