Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hen Hatch or Incubator Hatch?

Post Thanks / Like
    thats really the benefit of using incubator. you dont stressed out your golden hen to sit the eggs. the time that she sits the eggs will be spared, instead nourished her again and condition to another round of laying in the broodpen. for this the aid of incubator is for mass production by the golden hen. but as i said you have to take an extra load of work especially using manual incubator like what am using. but it demands most of my time during incubation period.

Post Thanks / Like
    mga sir

bkit mo kailangan stress out mo ang golden hen mo meron naman native chicken that will hatch the eggs.

erickp.

Post Thanks / Like
    ILL GO FOR HEN SAFE AND CHEAPER

Post Thanks / Like

eric,

ito ay sa aking kuro-koro lang na pag nagalaga pa ako ng native chickens panglimlim sila ay dagdag pa sa budget ng pakain at kadagdagan pa sa espasyo. sila ay kadagdagan din sa budget ng bakona. ang incubator pag hindi gamit ito ay wala ako karagdagang bayaran sa kuryente. hindi naman lahat ng native na inahen ay maige maglimlim. mayroon din nagbibisyo na di tinatapos ang paglilimlim.

Post Thanks / Like

hen advantage

Chicks hatched by a healthy hen will have a head start advantage in health than their incubator hatched counterparts.

Upon hatching, the chicks' guts or digestive system are virtually sterile. In their first few hours after hatching, they will eat minute amount of their mom's droppings that are loaded with probiotic microflora/friendly bacteria that will colonize their guts before they are exposed to and ingest something else. This is the process known as CE or competetive exclusion. If we observe closely, we will always notice some droppings (ipot) in the nest upon hatching eaten by the chicks that annoys most of us. They are beneficial actually. What is bad is when they make poo on their eggs while still sitting that will spoil them eggs and decrease hatchability.

As long that the mama hens are healthy and aren't carriers and shedders of salmonella/typhoid, E. Coli, cholera, and etc. bacteria, the hen hatched chicks are more vigorous.

This is nature's way.

Post Thanks / Like
    bna,

lahat naman ng sinasabi d2 sa thread eh sariling kuro kuro lng at pndagdag kaalaman na din. lhat naman ng sinabi d2 eh lahat tama hehehehe

erickp

Post Thanks / Like
    mga sir,

ang advantage lang naman ng incubator eh sabay sabay ang pasisisw at maramihan lalo na kung member ka ng mga breeders organization for banding purposes.

sa hen naman ay yung oil secretion ng hen na pumupunta sa itlog
    na kung saan nagiging healthy ang sisiw pgnapisa heheheheh

erickp.

WickedFrog
    hen hatch

ellisgamefowl
    I don't think it matters as far as health is concerned which way you hatch them out . Just my opinion , no offense .

The killer of baby chicks is coccidiosis . As long as you run corid power through their water a few days before they leave the brooder and a couple of days after , your incubator hatched chicks will be fine and healthy .

I incubate all my eggs . I don't vaccinate for anything , don't have to and don't believe in doing it . I do run corid through their water once a month and feed medicated chick & wild bird starter .

I believe your chicks vigor comes from the brood pen . Also from being healthy . And most importantly from being free ranged .

If you're having to constantly check on your incubator , you need to upgrade to a better one . I have a GQF cabinet model that will rotate the eggs and has a 5 gallon reserve water bucket . All you have to do is run it for a day to make sure the temperture is locked at 100 deg. then put the eggs in and wait 18 days to put them in the bottom "hatching tray". It's as easy as that .

Again , no offense . Just my opinion . I've used to hens before but when your single mating a select few hens it's hard for me to raise what I need without an incubator .

kinggray71
    You just can't beat a hen.

Post Thanks / Like

hen hatch advantage

the immunity tither of a hen hatched chicks are higher than that of the incubator hatched because of the oil secretion from the skin of the mama hen as previously stated by Erick. These oils are rich in antibodies that stimulates the immune system of the chicks to start working to produce immunoglobulins. Some antibodies are passed on by the biological parents thru the egg yolk that are absorved into the chicks's body thru their navel in the last phase of incubation and serve as their nutrient source in the first few days. If the parents are immune to some diseases, their chicks are also immune to it for up to two weeks (maternal or passive immunity), and will start to diminish from thereon and on the 21 day most of them will totally loose their immunity. This is the time recommended for us to start vaccinating our chicks. If we vaccinate them while their immunity tither from maternal immunity is still high, their immunity will block the vaccine and will not produce a reaction to stimulate their immune system. To simply state it, the vaccination program is a failure. Marek's immunization is given on the first day, or even when the chicks are still inside their shell by peircing the needle through it because the virus behaves and acts totally different and the immune system reacts totally different from the ordinary.

Some broodpens have more vigorous chicks. This is an expression or manifestation of heterosis or hybrid vigor. If the offspring of a cross are not vigorous, this could be a result of outbreeding depression, sign that your cross didn't nick, you don't have to wait to try them in the pit. A nick produces healthy, vigorous and winning fowls. Or this could be a sign of inbreeding depression in linebreeding/inbreeding. If an individual is depressed, its immune system is also depressed. These are reasons why most people say that inbreeds are sickly and fragile.

Some infections are also vertically transmitted from the mother, if they are infected. But if the hen is healthy, chicks hatch by her is a step ahead healthwise. Management wise, incubator is at advantage because you hatch them by batch, and vaccination and medication program is more easier. IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    a very nice thread to read! kip it up!:lol: :lol:

Post Thanks / Like
    very interesting thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Maganda nga at sana hindi mapasok ng mga nag-aaway ito. Hen is natural way.

Post Thanks / Like
    nice topic...naglalabasan na yung mga theory
    ng isatisa wag lang papasok yung 100% healthy
    ni g7 at marami matutunan yung mga aspiring
    breeder.........more info guys...........pls.........:hombre: :hombre:

RockHandsome
    For a small breeder like me I picked, hen of course. Less maintenance is the overriding facture.

BULLET2

Hen or incubator

Cockmates,

Thanks a lot for the nice inputs, I myself chooses the hencubator since it already teaches the day old chicks to scratch which is a good exercise for them and by this way they can be naturally immunized with all kinds of bacteria, those who survive is as good as an excellent one. keep on coming the good ideas!!!! :hat:

BULLET

BULLET2

Post Thanks / Like

Incubator

I can raise more chicks with an incubator, than with a hen. Granted, they are more work on me, but hens aren't killing others chicks, I can "set" the eggs when I want to, I like early hatched chicks, and cannot seem to get the hens to cooperate by setting when I need them. The chicks come out of the incubator scratching for food, they have all the instincts it takes to survive. I had one brood hen to start setting on 5 eggs after I had already gathered some of her eggs to incubate. I allowed her to hatch the chicks, then took them away, to put in brooder. I am a better "momma" than the hens. LOL, fis

Post Thanks / Like
    I use incubator.

BULLET2

Hens or Incubator?

Nice post guys, Keep it up!!!!

birdbrain

hen or incubator

what have you had your best luck at hens or incubators??

Post Thanks / Like
    I have around 100 hen, most of their eggs I hatch them in the
    incubator, some few Hen, during Off season, I Hen hatch them...

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on how many fowl you want to produce. If you only want to breed few heads then Hen is Fine. But if you want to mass produce incubator is better.

Post Thanks / Like
    agree with pitgods..very well said...:rbounce:

birdbrain

incubating

I think that some breeds do better than others but a hen has to be better than an incubater. , they have been doing it for thousand of years man maybe 100

Post Thanks / Like
    Hen hatch chicks are far more better than incubator hatch...healthwise...

Post Thanks / Like
    hen hatch is good but causes much more strain to hens and it took a while for the hen to recover and to be use again, its also hard if you are thinking of producing more fowls, theres no guarantee that the hen may sit the entire duration of incubation and the quantity of hatchings that it may give you! but if you really wanted hen hatching but have trouble with your hens, better raise native chicken to do incubation for you, my friend use this method before good and reliable incubators are readily available! he also give the job of rearing the hatchings to the native chickens sometimes combining with another set and reaching 30 to 40 chicks per hen just marking the chicks for record purposes.:hippie:

Jayvee
    I guess not. I think whats important is that they should be healthy. Thats all..

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no different, in my own opinion...