Thread: What is the makeup of the Law grey??

Post Thanks / Like

What is the makeup of the Law grey??

What is the makeup and style of these greys?what comb type,leg color etc. are they suppose to come???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the makeup of the Law grey??

Quote Originally Posted by muscledean
    What is the makeup and style of these greys?what comb type,leg c olor etc. are they suppose to come???
    straight comb! yellow legged!!!deepgame

Dwip

Quote Originally Posted by muscledean
    What is the makeup and style of these greys?what comb type,leg color etc. are they suppose to come???
    I remember reading that they are mainly a cross between regular grey and claret.

Post Thanks / Like

Law greys were made up of Madigin Greys, Albany, and McNerney Greys. The dark legged Law Dark Grey family had some dark blood either Law Brownred or Texas Ranger.

Post Thanks / Like

Foundation: Madigan Red Claret cock over Regular Grey hens. Essentially a Madigan Grey Claret. Silver Duckwing, yellow legs, white ok, straight comb.
    And remember, according to Madigan Grey blood was actually 1/2 the foundation of the Red Clarets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by delano77
    Foundation: Madigan Red Claret cock over Regular Grey hens. Essentially a Madigan Grey Claret. Silver Duckwing, yellow legs, white ok, straight comb.
    And remember, according to Madigan Grey blood was actually 1/2 the foundation of the Red Clarets.
    I don't know about that.. If you breed a red cock to grey hens you're going to get grey stags and red pullets. The original clarets did have grey blood supposedly in them on the cock's side but he wasn't grey. The original Clarets were red, Madigin's Grey blood came from Hanky Dean. I've read what Law in his own words put into the Madigins he got and it was Albany and McNerney Grey. The "Chocolates" were out of a brown Claret hen called the Chocolate Hen whose brother was white and bred to a Madigin's Regular Grey cock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Everett
    I don't know about that.. If you breed a red cock to grey hens you're going to get grey stags and red pullets. The original clarets did have grey blood supposedly in them on the cock's side but he wasn't grey. The original Clarets were red, Madigin's Grey blood came from Hanky Dean. I've read what Law in his own words put into the Madigins he got and it was Albany and McNerney Grey. The "Chocolates" were out of a brown Claret hen called the Chocolate Hen whose brother was white and bred to a Madigin's Regular Grey cock.
    Mike, I concur with everything you stated to include the later crosses that Law made into these Greys. As to my contention that the foundation is a red Madigan Claret over Madigan Regular Grey hens, the majority of my references are not immediately available. However, I can quote from a letter written by the late Harry Parr, " Madigan supplied Law with practically all the good fowl Law had. His Law Greys were nothing more than Claret cocks over Regular Grey hens. "

Yes a red cock bred to grey hens produces 100% grey stags and 100% red pullets. And breeding one of these Grey stags(1/2 red 1/2 grey) back to pure Grey hens what color will you get?

It probably doesn't really matter who was over or under who. Madigan's statements as to the breeding of his Clarets is certainly suspect in its self.
    Nevertheless, the bottom line is if you have real Law Greys you can be assured you are heavy in Madigan's blood.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: What is the makeup of the Law grey??

Quote Originally Posted by delano77
    Mike, I concur with everything you stated to include the later crosses that Law made into these Greys. As to my contention that the foundation is a red Madigan Claret over Madigan Regular Grey hens, the majority of my references are not immediately available. However, I can quote from a letter written by the late Harry Parr, " Madigan supplied Law with practically all the good fowl Law had. His Law Greys were nothing more than Claret cocks over Regular Grey hens. "

Yes a red cock bred to grey hens produces 100% grey stags and 100% red pullets. And breeding one of these Grey stags(1/2 red 1/2 grey) back to pure Grey hens what color will you get?

It probably doesn't really matter who was over or under who. Madigan's statements as to the breeding of his Clarets is certainly suspect in its self.
    Nevertheless, the bottom line is if you have real Law Greys you can be assured you are heavy in Madigan's blood.
    I was told that the real Law Greys have more Madigin Red Claret blood than most Madigin Red Clarets we see today....

Post Thanks / Like

Law sold alot of fowl and he wanted them to be Grey. Why waste time breeding back to grey hens to get there. I've read Harry Parr statements also. I believe that he was talking about the "Chocolates" and the breeding is reverse of what you have stated. Yes... E.W. Laws contained Madigin greys lines, and the Laws could have contained Claret blood, The Clarets did contain Grey and Mansel Pyle blood, but not half grey. I believe Law used the white legged Madigin silver greys, Hanky Dean supplied, not the greenlegged greys that Madigin called his Old Regular Greys later shortened to Regular Greys... but he might have. The Perfections Greys where Claret and Grey, also out of a green legged Grey cock " the Pefection Cock" and red Claret hens. The Law Greys as made by Law contained OConnell Abany and McNerney Greys both yellow legged, this is where the yellow legged greys that commonly called Law Greys came from. Hugh Norman had some of the dark Law Greys and they where a different family from the yellow legged ones. But as I wasn't there you may be totally right.
    Last edited by Mike Everett; October 23rd, 2009 at 09:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Any more info on the law greys. Who has good law greys?