Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats the best keep

Post Thanks / Like

whats the best keep

like the sammy ramsey keep highcreek blues keep warparty keep which one do you think is the best that youve tried fis

Post Thanks / Like

Re: whats the best keep

Quote Originally Posted by gapman
    like the sammy ramsey keep highcreek blues keep warparty keep which one do you think is the best that youve tried fis
    Whats up Gapman, just an advice buddy I don`t think many people will share there full Keep with anyone but to answer your question my friend the best keep is the keep that makes you win consistently. I know some fellows that I call the Tie Cord Gang because they don`t have time for a 21 day keep, they take roosters from the tie cords and fight them from there but REMEMBER you can feed them good, work them good, medicate them good but the honest truth is, no matter what you do to the roosters during the keep there is one most important thing in a KEEP and my friend that is knowing how to POINT your Rooster. A winning Keep is having a good Pointing method........... work on your pointing and the knowledge of it and you will see more W`s than L`s............

Hope this helps a little......

Aloha

Bulldog

Post Thanks / Like

The Best Keep In The World Will Not Matter If You Dont Have The Fowl To Go With It. Anyway, The Best Keep Is To Show Them When They Are Ready And Not When A Piece Of Paper Tells You To. IF YOU SPEND ENOUGH TIME WITH YOUR FOWL, YOU WILL KNOW WHEN THEY ARE READY.
    Last edited by Hatch Black; November 20th, 2009 at 12:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch Black
    The Best Keep In The World Will Not Matter If You Dont Have The Fowl To Go With It. Anyway, The Best Keep Is To Show Them When They Are Ready And Not When A Piece Of Paper Tells You To.
    As Hatch Black said, if you don`t have the good roosters it don`t matter, that is the other important factor, well said my braddah!!!! You will know when the roosters are ready, let them tell you, not you tell them by shooting them up with medication, you will never do good in the business, I promise you that...

Bulldog
    Last edited by Bulldog1969; November 20th, 2009 at 12:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

the best keep is the 1 that works for your fowl, work out what your fowl need as every fowl is different, what works for some wont work for others. Simple fact is know your Fowl and you will win.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

i got sammy's greys but not his keep!

Post Thanks / Like

ya i agree i got a pretty good keep and descent roosters guess i was wondering if anybody had used any of the other keeps and which ones they thought worked pretty good i pretty much use a keep michael r. gave me just change a few things and dont feed straight pellets it works good for hot weather i use something different in winter fis

Post Thanks / Like

what works for one may not for another.....

cigar

Post Thanks / Like

i combined some of Cigar and Warparty feeding methods and my own conditioning methods to make my own keep

Post Thanks / Like

everyone does it their own way...like Cigar said, what works for him might not work for someone else.

some of us are breeders, some handlers, some feeders. know your limits and let the people who are better than you in that area do their job. Do you think Hideki Matsui would tell CC Sabathia how to pitch, no way.

good blood, health, selction, and patience is my recipe. Common sense goes a long way in this business. you also have to have the HANDS...

Post Thanks / Like

longknife the "hands" yes that is very important i call it soft hands this would be for our handlers...... good point....

cigar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CIGAR
    longknife the "hands" yes that is very important i call it soft hands this would be for our handlers...... good point....

cigar
    most good rooster men are good handlers/feeders...in my opinion it goes hand in hand. you can tell a good rooster man by the way he handles his roosters...they make it look very easy and the roosters are always happy in those hands! it's like a mama carrying her baby

were you at the Jumper Tribute (Little Bayou) this past March when it got raided?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: whats the best keep

I disagree about that you have really good roosters to win, if you get them right and know how a rooster suppose to feel your average joe roosters can whip a good rooster

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigggamefarm
    I disagree about that you have really good roosters to win, if you get them right and know how a rooster suppose to feel your average joe roosters can whip a good rooster
    well said...and thats my point about having the "hands"!

Post Thanks / Like

average birds in the right hands would give aces in the wrong hands a serious whoopin ..

my two cents ..

Post Thanks / Like

I can't debate the best keep, because I haven't read or tried them all. A good common sense keep is Charlie Carr's Keep. The main jest of the keep is keep them moving, hitting and happy. There are two point to getting cocks right, his mind and his ass. In another words his psyche and physical well being. In shape and sharp the natural way. Let the cocks do the work, not you forcing them to work. This was also the basics of Joe Goode's keep, just Joe's feeding was much more complicated.
    Last edited by Mike Everett; November 21st, 2009 at 04:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Everett
    I can't debate the best keep, because I haven't read or tried them all. A good common sense keep is Charlie Carr's Keep. The main jest of the keep is keep them moving, hitting and happy. There are two point to getting cocks right, his mind and his ass. In another words his psyche and physical well being. In shape and sharp the natural way. Let the cocks do the work, not you forcing them to work. This was also the basics of Joe Goode's keep, just Joe's feeding was much more complicated.
    yes i like a lot of mr. carr's keep...however as a working man, i cant really use it

Post Thanks / Like

all u really gotta do is restum and pointum and hold them there u should know there style from prior spars even sparring i no really spar but i do know guys who spar all the time and it works for them so whateveas works im more a fly pen to cord kinda guy then u know letum rip but like others will tell u the most important thing is to take care of them year round cause it will pay off any ways peace im out

Post Thanks / Like

all u really gotta do is restum and pointum and hold them there u should know there style from prior spars even sparring i no really spar but i do know guys who spar all the time and it works for them so whateveas works im more a fly pen to cord kinda guy then u know letum rip but like others will tell u the most important thing is to take care of them year round cause it will pay off any ways peace im out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CH GameFarm
    yes i like a lot of mr. carr's keep...however as a working man, i cant really use it
    I don't know your work schedule , but I used it when I worked you just have to modify it. In the morning I would feed in fly pens let them scratch and eat for about 30 mins, then move to round pens. When I got home I would put them in filipino drop outs, then back to either square pens or fly pens or tie cords. Different litter in the pens helps. Nothing like a little horse $hit. If you get the fat out they have plenty of endurance and power for the drag, not that I went there much with good cutting cocks.

Post Thanks / Like

the best filipino keep...the mouth shut...and let the handlers do their thing....

Post Thanks / Like

I bench worked the heck outta mine... I'm going to try what I think will work in the P.I. once I get there... gonna be bench work involved with that too. Check this out, it's pretty dern cool....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExSsIvgND6k

Post Thanks / Like

that is cool Slip. I built a machine for a new paper publisher that worked on a counter weight principle to keep the stack of news papers at waist level whether loading or unloading the papers.

good find buddy.

the best keep?
    know your roosters and then you'll know how to feed them and point them.
    you can read it on paper but that won't mean you know what you are doing if you are just trying to follow instructions. in the last week of the keep, you have to know how to make the fine adjustments for each individual bird. the cookie cutter approach will leave you with too many "L's" at the end without knowing the feel of each bird to have him right.

you can't learn that from reading letters written on a piece of paper.
    but, that along with several seasons of watching them win and watching them die, spending time with them, and it will all fall together.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: whats the best keep

Quote Originally Posted by kogmohon
    the best filipino keep...the mouth shut...and let the handlers do their thing....
    ..Tell me cocopuffs are you for real man,,,"handlers" are you meaning the guys that set the roosters down and never touches them again or the ref that keeps droping them during the contest,,with a six pack of Bananas and two hours I can teach a Chimpanzee that nonsense..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1handkneehigh
    ..Tell me cocopuffs are you for real man,,,"handlers" are you meaning the guys that set the roosters down and never touches them again or the ref that keeps droping them during the contest,,with a six pack of Bananas and two hours I can teach a Chimpanzee that nonsense..
    now thats a good;un the handlers i saw just set them down thats about all u gota do huh lol

Post Thanks / Like

I think in pi the "handlers" are the feeder/conditioners

Post Thanks / Like

majority of the big farm owners in p.i. are rich...they can afford to hire people to do everything for them...our handlers are also the one that feed and condition the cocks...

Post Thanks / Like

I saw that as well 1hand...lol...

Post Thanks / Like

I respectfully disagree, but you can learn from a keep. Most keeps are guidelines and have to be tinkered with experince for your climate and other factors. You may not get the most out of it, but it can be better than nothing. And yes all birds are individuals and must be treated as such and that take experience. Some people are born feeders and some are not, some have to learn, but most of it is common sense. A good keep is like any knowledge its's how you apply it. One of the best things that can happen is a good feeder put a cock that's right in your hands. Feeding and training have changed over the years, most good feeders have learned not to take away from their cocks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1969
    Whats up Gapman, just an advice buddy I don`t think many people will share there full Keep with anyone but to answer your question my friend the best keep is the keep that makes you win consistently. I know some fellows that I call the Tie Cord Gang because they don`t have time for a 21 day keep, they take roosters from the tie cords and fight them from there but REMEMBER you can feed them good, work them good, medicate them good but the honest truth is, no matter what you do to the roosters during the keep there is one most important thing in a KEEP and my friend that is knowing how to POINT your Rooster. A winning Keep is having a good Pointing method........... work on your pointing and the knowledge of it and you will see more W`s than L`s............

Hope this helps a little......

Aloha

Bulldog