Post Thanks / Like

Re: Penny Hatch pics

One of my Penny stags

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sheryl Penny Hatch

My Spangle penny have white ears.

Post Thanks / Like

do penny's cross better with fowl similar to theirs or complete opposite? I see people has had good luck with some kelso's. were they high breaking smart fowl or the very aggressive ground type fowl?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a penny hatch cross to showtime kelso, came out wine red dirty feet. now he's a 4X winner in long knife & a full time broodcock.... so smart & can read his opponents move, 2 of his wins are fastest kill with 10.6 sec & 12 sec marked....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john barrocan View Post
    mr.mosely i guess it depends on which family of kelso you would use,but for the most part we do love our hatch-kelso blend,we also have some leiper crossed to our penny's,we love those crosses as well.so i guess it dun matter,whatever you cross them to as long as you got another game family should be fine.

for the hatch kelso blend after they jumped for the very first time,its all ground my friend.
    yeah i bred quite a few of the penny/leiper this year. i bred penny cock over leiper hens however i have always believed to breed to the hen with the style you want so we may have to reverse that mating but we will see. reason i asked about the kelso is cause of the roundhead family i have. they are tit for tat with the penny. same style and everything. only thing is rh a liitle faster and penny more power. ill try it but sure hope it works lol.

Post Thanks / Like

RH to penny's are mighty cross,speed and power and its a penny so they are game for sure.folks gonna be in trouble if they run in to yah.
    you talking about use rh cock to penny hens or other way around?

Post Thanks / Like

RH to penny's are mighty cross,speed and power and its a penny so they are game for sure.folks gonna be in trouble if they run in to yah.
    That's what we did this year Rh cock over Pennys , hope they're gold like you said lol. I've seen this cross ( Rh over penny hen ) so I'm confident .
    Sir moseley let me know how yours turn out .

Post Thanks / Like

Hey vic what part of TX u live

Post Thanks / Like

Alamo city. .

Post Thanks / Like

isnt the penny hatch the same as the old soddy daisy hatch that used to be around south east!

Post Thanks / Like

they are all hatches in in FACT. penny, mclean, leipers & etc. are all int TERMS so to speak... for my opinion all would cross well... it depends on ur good & bad experiences on it!

Post Thanks / Like

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbtB8eMzyfw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbtB8eMzyfw[/ame]
    Rat Graves Penny Hatch vs Bates Hatch
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSh_dwT8yMY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSh_dwT8yMY[/ame]
    Rat Graves Leiper vs Cardinal Kelso

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roosterstokes View Post
    isnt the penny hatch the same as the old soddy daisy hatch that used to be around south east!
    As far as I know its the same. Soddy Daisy Hatch from Sherill Penny of Soddy Daisy TN.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Sheryl Penny Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by trueedge View Post
    As far as I know its the same. Soddy Daisy Hatch from Sherill Penny of Soddy Daisy TN.
    good day will, you are right, sherill lived in soddy daisy tenn, so some cockers like to call them that, but being a rooster man i can remember seeing sherill show many shows of stright comed leamon hackled hatch cocks that were as good as they come, the way i heard it is that sherill did not make this last family of pennys, another man that raised for him bred them and added 1/4 demacrat in them, thus makeing them come the very dark color that they arenot alot of the good one floting around, but i do no a hand full of cockers who do have the good stuff.

15. Likes galo519 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

hello mr christian glad to see u back was worried about u the man u talkin about was ray wilson he is good friend of mine and he did use democrat in the make up of todays "pennys" gene had a influence in them also,,,,,

17. Thanks sids thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vinax View Post
    they are all hatches in in FACT. penny, mclean, leipers & etc. are all int TERMS so to speak... for my opinion all would cross well... it depends on ur good & bad experiences on it!
    Aren't Leipers made up of Roundhead, Irish Brownred and Whitehackle?
    Last edited by killerInstinct; September 11th, 2012 at 04:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killerInstinct View Post
    Aren't Leipers made up of Roundhead, Irish Brownred and Whitehackle?
    Yes they are. Thats why you want to use the leiper hen. The leiper is faster cut better but probably a little bit weaker in the bottom department. My best cross is 3/4 Johnny Mitchell leiper with 1/4 hatch. They break high and will cut you in the break and will side step cause of the leiper blood. With the 1/4 hatch is all I need if they have to go to the short lines in the short knive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hitmonkey!!! View Post
    hello mr christian glad to see u back was worried about u the man u talkin about was ray wilson he is good friend of mine and he did use democrat in the make up of todays "pennys" gene had a influence in them also,,,,,
    Les, yup, that's what I heard from Gene about Mr. Wilson. You know Gene's place is just a stone throw away from Sherill's place. They were old time friends in Soddy Daisy, TN.
    Gene does know how the Penny's were bred. Gene also was one of the persons who help Terry find trusted friends to take care of those Penny fowls before Terry went on a long vacation (I'm sure you know this already , LOL...).

Here is a very old picture of Sherill (holding a grey and red) and Gene F (kneeling with 2 red roosters). Gene got this pic from Frank (the date on the picture is from my camera when I took a shot of the old picture, just in case it would cause confusions, lol...).

Last edited by Engkanto; September 11th, 2012 at 12:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody know about Gene Batia's Penny Blood? or Windyhills

Post Thanks / Like

genes came from kirk mcbryar,,,,,windyhill???????

Post Thanks / Like

Theres a guy on facebook his name is Windyhill farms. At first i got them confused i thought it was Windwalker from here. But a friend brought it to my attention that it wasnt. So i declined. I was gonna buy a pullet for a friend as a gift. But after i found out it wasnt same person i figured i would not waste my time. The penny's he advertises i believe came from Roger Farrow. Which i hear good things about them also.

Post Thanks / Like

engkanto, who is the gentleman in the middle holding the lemon hackle straight comb rooster. that rooster looks identical to a rooster we got from kirk mcbryar years ago. and the two gene is holding look like some of the medium station roosters we raise at times. we breed more to the taller darker peacomb side.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried crossing penny with mule trains grey?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roosterstokes View Post
    Has anyone tried crossing penny with mule trains grey?
    No but I have given it some thought. Just cant afford 800 dollars for a stag. Might be worth it might not. but its a little too much for me at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I got out of raising chickens and getting back in I'm thinking of of mule train grey ! I like penny's but probably aught to get his hatch too it's already a proven cross! I would use a hen not a stag ! Just my opinion!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gilbertb View Post
    engkanto, who is the gentleman in the middle holding the lemon hackle straight comb rooster. that rooster looks identical to a rooster we got from kirk mcbryar years ago. and the two gene is holding look like some of the medium station roosters we raise at times. we breed more to the taller darker peacomb side.
    gilbertb, Gene mentioned to me the names of the other persons in that picture but I can't remember their names (except for Sherill). All those guys are dead now and Gene is the only one left alive. One thing I remember though, Gene really hated one of the guys standing behind them. Gene said that guy's wife died and he didn't even go to his own wife's funeral to pay respect and see her for the last time. He can't believe there was really such a person like that guy.

But anyway, I'll ask Gene for the guys names when I see him later this month.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some Penny stags i purchased from Windyhill, look very good excellent station and act really smart very healthy bright deep red eyes. He has lots of pics on face book check him out. Fowl did come from Roger Farrow. Several people have bought from him seem to be really pleased I know he stands behind them. also bought a pullet looks a lot like my Wendle Loveday/Cy Taylor Mcleans very nice pullet. Stags not been tested yet though.

Post Thanks / Like

My grey penny's I made have mule train in them I like alot. I want to try gene batias but I just got some from steve Tankersley so I breed his for two more years before I'll get genes .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vic5.0 View Post
    That's what we did this year Rh cock over Pennys , hope they're gold like you said lol. I've seen this cross ( Rh over penny hen ) so I'm confident .
    Sir moseley let me know how yours turn out .
    vic just looked at a few of them penny/leiper and got to say simply "amazing". they are well suited for american and mexican shows. oh and they aint even 8 months yet.

Post Thanks / Like

fellows just proud is all had to share lol. penny/leiper stags.
    Last edited by moseley; September 21st, 2012 at 04:21 AM.