Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kelso and Radio - its about time

Post Thanks / Like

Kelso and Radio - its about time

Kelso and Radio – lets look at it more closer

I have been following the Radio and Kelso bloodline for about 8 years and I think its about time we look at it more closer. From backyard to the bigtime breeders, more and more folks are infusing the Radio and Kelso with the sweaters and proven hatches. The results are fast, accurate and hard hitting crosses that buckles accurately. If you have seen the birth of sweater dominance in the early 90s – it is almost the exact style in terms of traits.
    Radio as Mr Jumper and Mr Brady had narrated openly started with Kelso Bloodline Family.

Radio getting his name being noisy “chuckler” and very easy to distinguish based on that, we tried it one time selecting from a breeder lined up the Kelso SC and Radios and yes they can be distinguished. There are about a few number of Radio breeders in the US and if you ask where they get it from, it is very easy to trace, most of them at least.

I see Radio as the “black sheep” of the Kelso Family, Mr Brady and Mr Jumper kept them, known for being breeders with good selection - - why did they kept this line? Seeing a couple of Radios Mr Jumper and offpsrings bred by other breeders. Same as Mr Brady and offsprings bred by other breeders (Middleton kept if not the same, better).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kelso and Radio - its about time

Here is where it gets better: Can you name someone who cross a known sweater or a generic sweater, import or local - to the RADIO blood? Does FASTEST KILL, quick wins and good cutting ability shows up? Radio crosses to hatch and other bloodline performs good but not as good as a cross to a sweater blood. The Sweater Radio cross is getting known for its Fastest Kill reputation.

What is the relation of the Kelso blood in direct relation with the Radio in its infancy? Is Radio the “Good Inbred Source of the Sweater?”

A few old timer once narrated (not confirmed), that Mr Dink Fair when he borrowed Mr Carol Nesmith Sweater Broodcock used Mr Jumper’s most beautiful and most goldish looking, good station Kelso to breed those sweaters. What is the relation of of Jumper Kelso to Radio (Jumper/Brady). And as to why Mr Dink Fair never bred Radio? I visited Oklahoma 3 years ago and was informed by someone I look up to in breeding that Tom Dale have good Radio that he got from Dink Fair and as to why Dink did not breed them – I was told the narration was “it did not pass the physical aspect of beauty” that is the political explanation, in short – ugly.

The Middletons breeding the Roy Brady Radio, almost indentical with what Mr Brady has and had done a good job keeping the blood. A few southern pinoy breeders are now putting those Radio blood to what else? Sweaters.
    Someone tried to cross Brady Radio to Mr Dink Fair army of sweaters – the possum, the 5k, the lawnmower, the Goldeboys -- and they like the results on the derbies.

I think that is enough spark to start this thread… let’s make it a healthy information…

Post Thanks / Like

up up up...cockmates share some of your experience regarding this bloodlines...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking of trying a J.J. Kelso over some Radio/Asil hens. I think they will either be very good or very bad...LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swtrhtch1925
    Here is where it gets better: Can you name someone who cross a known sweater or a generic sweater, import or local - to the RADIO blood? Does FASTEST KILL, quick wins and good cutting ability shows up? Radio crosses to hatch and other bloodline performs good but not as good as a cross to a sweater blood. The Sweater Radio cross is getting known for its Fastest Kill reputation.

What is the relation of the Kelso blood in direct relation with the Radio in its infancy? Is Radio the “Good Inbred Source of the Sweater?”

A few old timer once narrated (not confirmed), that Mr Dink Fair when he borrowed Mr Carol Nesmith Sweater Broodcock used Mr Jumper’s most beautiful and most goldish looking, good station Kelso to breed those sweaters. What is the relation of of Jumper Kelso to Radio (Jumper/Brady). And as to why Mr Dink Fair never bred Radio? I visited Oklahoma 3 years ago and was informed by someone I look up to in breeding that Tom Dale have good Radio that he got from Dink Fair and as to why Dink did not breed them – I was told the narration was “it did not pass the physical aspect of beauty” that is the political explanation, in short – ugly.

The Middletons breeding the Roy Brady Radio, almost indentical with what Mr Brady has and had done a good job keeping the blood. A few southern pinoy breeders are now putting those Radio blood to what else? Sweaters.
    Someone tried to cross Brady Radio to Mr Dink Fair army of sweaters – the possum, the 5k, the lawnmower, the Goldeboys -- and they like the results on the derbies.

I think that is enough spark to start this thread… let’s make it a healthy information…
    On the Sweater Radio crosses which do you prefer to breed sweater cock over radio hens or radio cock over sweater hens?

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Dennis Oakley made history in the 80s and 90s with his Radio/Kelso crosses. He was also well known for his blue legged Kelsos. If anyone has Mr. Oakley's bloodlines and has continued to breed them the right way they should have birds they can be proud of.

Post Thanks / Like

on the JJ / Brady Radios and the breeders who bred their lines, does not matter sir.
    male or female side, crossed to sweaters the win percentage is up %

From mr jumper to other breeders like mr jim clem who acquired from JJ

From mr brady to other breeders like mr middleton who acquired from mr brady

The main direct source up to those who got it from them, good results.

Is Radio one of the purest Kelso around?

hope we can hear from other folks in the outskirts of deep outbacks

good evening

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TIMEX
    Mr. Dennis Oakley made history in the 80s and 90s with his Radio/Kelso crosses. He was also well known for his blue legged Kelsos. If anyone has Mr. Oakley's bloodlines and has continued to breed them the right way they should have birds they can be proud of.
    tried that route before sir timex, but most of the good ones are in mexico.
    the Blue Legged Kelso I saw one time in my visit and how it finished his opponent within less 3 minutes in SK. Where di Mr Oakley acquired his Radio. I think he is very close to most of our mexican brothers in sport and hope they can grace this thread with more information. good evening to you sir

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Everett
    I'm thinking of trying a J.J. Kelso over some Radio/Asil hens. I think they will either be very good or very bad...LOL
    Mike - does Mr Dwain White carry the Radios also? where did he acquired his?
    your Radio Asil blood - what is the blood family of the Radio blood on it and from where did you get it? good evening

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swtrhtch1925
    Mike - does Mr Dwain White carry the Radios also? where did he acquired his?
    your Radio Asil blood - what is the blood family of the Radio blood on it and from where did you get it? good evening
    Yes Dwain has Radios, not sure but probably Jumper. I know James Pope had some from him at one time. I think Dwain had them mainly for the Sk. Mine are the Kenneth Smith "Black Gold' family.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Everett
    Yes Dwain has Radios, not sure but probably Jumper. I know James Pope had some from him at one time. I think Dwain had them mainly for the Sk. Mine are the Kenneth Smith "Black Gold' family.
    A friend from the neighboring island showed some Radio fowl from Dwain White a while ago .. They were yellow legged / medium orange colored / straight combed and broad backed birds - in short they just looked like trouble!!

When my dad made a little trip out to Hawaii this one time, he came back with some fowl that were Kenneth Smith's Radio blood. Compared to Dwain Smith's, they were a brighter colored orange and longer bodied as opposed to the more stalky muscular build. Everything else was the same.

The ones from Dwain White had more power than the ones we had from Kenneth Smith but the ones from Smith were way more athletic.

They were good birds and its too bad we weren't able to get more after the ones we got.

Also, we showed a couple of Sweater / Radio crosses from Mike Middleton and man them birds could turn it up. Beautiful and athletic - they were pretty complete birds I thought.

just my two cents ..

12. Likes vic5.0 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Kelso and Radio - its about time

Dwaine White has good Radios, cross them with sweater and or hatch , and you've got some incredible show birds! I prefer them 3/4 radio 1/4 Frost or 1/4 Sweater or 1/4 Hatch. Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

myke Everett were trying the radio cock over kelso/asil pullets

15. Likes Mike Everett liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have main since 90s to this days and sure they nick well with Sweater,Round Head AND Kelso. in the 90s we won a good number of them crossed with Stwart's Yellow leg.. today we have a good result with Sweater 5k. sure all this in SK. johnny Jumper made the same cross winning in sunset .. I think that is why Mr Carol have them too.

JG

Post Thanks / Like

Something more...! They are ugly .... but are winners ..!

Post Thanks / Like

i am doing this cross but putting mass kelso on top to some G.S radio pullet lets see wat they produce... yfis

Post Thanks / Like

The radio's are not kelso, they are mostly Murphy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ebednar View Post
    The radio's are not kelso, they are mostly Murphy
    Thay are murphy/whitehackle cross. Then Mr Jumper infused in them his kelsos and breed the kelso down to an 1/8 or less.

Post Thanks / Like

The original Radio cock that Mr.Jumper started with was a Thomas Murphy Whitehackle cock.He talked and chattered so much in the keep his brother named him Radio.He then bred that cock to some out and out Kelso hens to make the Radios.The rest is history.

22. Likes J & R Gamefarm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i bred up some clem blk jap x radios tgat are still stags and they are fast sobs with machine gun legs lol

Post Thanks / Like

I know a guy that owns the Radio bloodline and has not been able to win one sraight bred or crossed , fast,high breakers and are cold blooded

Post Thanks / Like

Not all fowl are created equal....lol

Post Thanks / Like

Windbrier of Ky raised the Radio for Johnny for many years.Probably know as much or more than anyone about them.

C G

Post Thanks / Like

So guys are they mostly whitehackle?? Or mostly kelso?? I always thought they were 3/4 Murphy 1/4 kelso set as family,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Irishgrey View Post
    So guys are they mostly whitehackle?? Or mostly kelso?? I always thought they were 3/4 Murphy 1/4 kelso set as family,
    Mr. Jumper wrote that the "Radio" cock was 1/2 Whx1/2 Murphy, not A Murphy Whitehackle. He said he bred to a Kelso hen of his and bred to 7/8 the old cock. I believe the original cock was one of Mr. Japhet's breeding. Japhet was an assoicate of Mr. Kelso, both recieved Madigin's fowl at his death.
    Last edited by Mike Everett; February 8th, 2014 at 01:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

In reallity Jumper Radios we can say for sure that are 7/8 murphy/whitehackle and 1/8 kelso. Now what others have done after they got them would be thier own line of radios.

Post Thanks / Like

There's an interview by a Mexican (FelipeCeceña) where Johny said he bred to 15/16 the cock. So Radios that have been kept straight, are as close to a clone to that one cock as can be. I have a Radio cock, off a trio acquired from Randy, the daughter bred back to the broodcock produced my cock (a gift) I game tested it and this one just knows one direction, straight ahead. Have not made up my mind to breed it yet cause I love what I have right now, will probably just raise a few stags out of it to try out. We showed a lot of Clement/Radio crosses back when we started but these were from Brady. Roy Brady put something on his Radios, they are no longer like the Jumpers, he made them taller, better eye color and a shade darker than the Jumpers, but extremely talented and proven in SK. Cut and their ability to cross well are probably their greatest attributes, don't look like world beaters when sparred but they know how to use a blade.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Interesting information, seems like radios keep getting more popular and as long as you get yours form a honeset breeder cant go wrong with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Johnny Jumper Radio Cock
    This cock was ½ Murphy ½ Whitehackle
    The rooster was owed by Bill Japet from Houston, Texas, (Japet, Kelso and Pete Frost were good friends and done business together, All three of these people had people who worked for them with the roosters. Ray Leach worked for Bill Japet on his ranch northwest of Houston who breed and done the feeding for him. Ray Leach ran a feed store in Houston this is where all the game rooster people hung out! He quit and went to work for Bill Japet taking care of the rooster for him how long he was there I cannot remember he was killed accidently while cutting a tree down on the ranch, after that Japer quite the rooster business was about the same time Kelso quite. Japet and Kelso could get any rooster they needed. Japet and Kelso sent some roosters to Cecil Davis to walk and some was to feed and try out this cock was in the bunch to feed and try out!! The reason I know so much about him Ray and my father was good friends, Ray was a very good chicken man, he also had a brother name Harold Leach, when Kelso quite he gave Harold one of the last good trio left on his place in Galveston, Texas and one other man name Murray who got one! You can go to the GameCock Magazine 1958 on here and see a picture of him at Sunset!
    Grey Rooster

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Jumper Radio's and they will make you love them just from their nature! One reason i'm proud to have them is they are exactly like i have heard johnny describe them in interviews!