Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Thread: Frost Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Frost Greys

Frost Grey were made by Sweater when he worked for Pete Frost in Tx
    they were 1/2 Regular Grey 1/4 Roundhead 1/4 Claret

Sam Bigham fought the Hale Brother a stag main in Tx and there was no love lost between the two! Sam ask if Sweater would come down and help him with the main as that Sam had raised Sweater he said he had to ask Mr Frost as that he worked for him at the time! Mr Frost said that he was friends with both of them and he would perfer him to stay out of it! When Sweater told Sam this he got real pissed at him!!!
    Any way the main started and Sam fought a stag that was outstanding one!!!!
    When Sam came out of the pit with this stag Sweater was there waiting and asked to feel this one when he got him in his hands Sweater told Sam the only way to get him back was to take him! Sam hit Sweater in the nose (that is how he got the bent nose) but Sweater kept the stag and this was the daddy of the Frost Grey!!! Sweater bred to stag too Regular Grey hens!!! I was very young at the time but still remember very well Jay, Joe and Paul Goode was there in fact blood from the punch got on Jay shirt!!
    Later on Jay told me what Sweater had done with this stag!! That is why you will have pea comb and straight come cocks!
    When Pete Frost quite the rooster game Bobby Joe Manziel got most of this blood but Pete had an worker that help and took care of the roosters there was some brothers that owned a cab business in Houston, Texas and they befriended this guys and he got some of the good blood!!!

Grey Rooster

2. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Nice frost pictures Tonio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slipspur View Post
    When Mr. Frost sold out, 2 fellas went in together & split the birds 50/50... they even took the eggs in the pens... the 2 fellas were Bobby Manziel & Jay Goode.
    very informative..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonio View Post

very nice grey tonio.. keep it up

Post Thanks / Like

[/QUOTE]

sir tonio, how do you breed this grey? Do they do well in a 2-way cros? to which blodlines?

tnxs

Post Thanks / Like

sir tonio, how do you breed this grey? Do they do well in a 2-way cros? to which blodlines?

tnxs[/QUOTE]

That grey is a pure frost. I prefer my battle cocks 50-50 hatch grey or 3/4 grey 1/4 kelso

Post Thanks / Like

My Tonio greys...

Post Thanks / Like

tnxs

That grey is a pure frost. I prefer my battle cocks 50-50 hatch grey or 3/4 grey 1/4 kelso[/QUOTE]

Sir Tonio,
    What kind of hatch are those sexy pullets? very awesome..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bordagz View Post
    That grey is a pure frost. I prefer my battle cocks 50-50 hatch grey or 3/4 grey 1/4 kelso

Sir Tonio,
    What kind of hatch are those sexy pullets? very awesome..[/QUOTE]

mcleans, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

sir tonio since you are well versed on the history of frost greys, i would like to inquire about what is blackhat frost grey? my friend btfarm gifted me with a pair of his greys - a blackhat frost grey broodcock (in my avatar) and a ray alexander broodhen......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by damdam View Post
    very informative..
    as posted by edkiang:
    the good old frost can be found with tonio and mica entry..the original frost greys were part of the madigin estates dispersal of fowls..which walter kelso inherited,some went to elwin law of florida and some went to j.m.frost..he had a partnership that was unbeatable with the late bobby manziel sr.(the manager of the great heavyweight fighter of the world,jack dempsey) he is the father of bobby joe manziel of tyler,where mike romulo got his frost greys..going back to the story,this tandem of frost/manziel entry not only had good fowls of madigin lines but had the best trainer available at that time,the legendary J.D.PERRY!!.When perry asked for a raise,and they did not give it to him,he quit..so this manziel/frosy entry started losing..and finally quit their partnership..bobby joe manziel kept the only two old lines from his father..the frost greys and the clarets.

as posted by slipspur:
    When Mr. Frost sold out, 2 fellas went in together & split the birds 50/50... they even took the eggs in the pens... the 2 fellas were Bobby Manziel & Jay Goode.

VERY INFORMATIVE......if we are tracing the history based on the posts above, that means that there's a relation between the family of greys coming from Bobby Manziel frost greys, the Joe Goode greys and the Law greys

14. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OREVON View Post

VERY INFORMATIVE......if we are tracing the history based on the posts above, that means that there's a relation between the family of greys coming from Bobby Manziel frost greys, the Joe Goode greys and the Law greys
    Altho Joe & Jay Goode were brothers, they maintained separate brood yards, breeding their own fowl... Jay did supply Joe with battle cocks from time to time. Jay bought the Frost Greys, not Joe... Mike Everett would know what Joe's Grey's were... but I don't think they were the Frost.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard two versions of how the Joe Goode greys were bred. Frost-kelso blend and frost-hatch claret blend, this explains why the Joe Goodes throw peacombs. Joe Goode had many people raise birds for him cause he was too busy travelling and fighting (Jay Goode, T-Pot and Dink Fair to name a few). Many of the older Filipino cockers will say that the best greys Joe Goode fought were the Toppies or T-pot greys

17. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

More Frost history...

The Frost greys were originally known as a strain called the Grey Bombers. Sweater Mcguiness was the man who recommended Bobby Manziel Sr. buy all the frost fowl. Sweater then began working for Manziel as a feeder and they would fight Walter Kelso $10,000 mains. Before the frost purchase the Manziel fowl were Boidin Roundheads, Fardowns and Wilkins Typewriter. These Frost greys were originally mostly white legged but the Manziel bred towards a yellow legged side

Post Thanks / Like

i just some frost greys and so far i got to say they are outstanding i dont know that they need anything. thay might be one of the most compleate familys ive seen in a while. thx slip you sure got an eye for birds.

20. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lkystrk View Post
    i just some frost greys and so far i got to say they are outstanding i dont know that they need anything. thay might be one of the most compleate familys ive seen in a while. thx slip you sure got an eye for birds.
    I don't know about all that... but you know you are welcome... raise a ton of em & send me some pullets this fall LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

not a problem. you might get a ton hatched off before moving time. our fingers are crossed.

Post Thanks / Like

Ken Hutchison's Greys are family of his own creation. They do lean very heavy on the Goode Greys, both Joe's and Jay's. Ken worked for Joe, Joe had a service station in Waco. He also handled for Joe some. Ken got the first greys in 1964. Joe loaned him four hens and gave him a cock. The cock, I believe had some Bumblefoot in him. I believe his blood came from the Caldwell( Cantrell)? Brothers. Over the years Ken received cocks and hens from both Joe and Jay. My understanding is that there are two lines the right side and the left side. The right side heavy in the old Joe blood and the left side heavy in the Jay blood. Slipspur first saw the grey crosses I had and I introduced him to Hutch...you're right Mark has a good eye, he recognized good fowl when he saw them.
    Last edited by Mike Everett; January 9th, 2011 at 12:28 PM.

24. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

just a larger picture of my frost grey.........looks like the tonio's grey in the upper picture......yellow legged small to medium station.......

Post Thanks / Like

3/4 j.goode frost grey 1/4 blueface hatch

Post Thanks / Like

not Frost
    RH/MG
    3 time winner

Post Thanks / Like

mike r we callin them hutch frost greys or just hutch greys?

29. Thanks Zorro thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lkystrk View Post
    mike r we callin them hutch frost greys or just hutch greys?
    I've heard Ken call em Frost & Jay Goode... Ken told us the story of when Jay first got the Frost Grey's, he was laughing when he said Jay almost plucked a bird naked looking for the Frost tattoo he knew they should have... once he found it & knew where to look the others were easy to locate. I guess we should do like I do the Hatch's... call em the new family Greys lol. ( Hutch Grey's sounds good to me... he has had them a long time )

31. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess you can call them what ever you want, but them fellas from Hawaii are so proud of them that they have embroidered jackets with " Hutch Greys " on the back...lol Personally I have called them Frost at times, but in reality they are "Hutch Greys", he bred them for over forty years and should get credit.

Post Thanks / Like

tnxs

That grey is a pure frost. I prefer my battle cocks 50-50 hatch grey or 3/4 grey 1/4 kelso[/QUOTE]

tnxs sir tonio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Everett View Post
    Well I guess you can call them what ever you want, but them fellas from Hawaii are so proud of them that they have embroidered jackets with " Hutch Greys " on the back...lol Personally I have called them Frost at times, but in reality they are "Hutch Greys", he bred them for over forty years and should get credit.
    I talked to Ken today & asked him again... he said that what he has are the straight bred Frost Greys that he got from Jay... I told him we were going to call them " Hutch Greys "... he laughed, said he appreciated that... but then said just to call the good ones "Hutch Greys "... the ones that aren't... call them Frost lol!!!

35. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've known Hutch for forty years..all I know is what he told me over that time period..

37. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Everett View Post
    I've known Hutch for forty years..all I know is what he told me over that time period..
    Ken told me something very, very close to what you said earlier... it was just a tad different... I can't remember exactly how it went... he said that there were 4 hens or pullets involved... and a cock that had won some really good fights that did carry some Bumble Foot... don't get me to lying again lol! The main thing he did day is that his are the pure Frost from Jay... I can't mess that up

39. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slipspur View Post
    I talked to Ken today & asked him again... he said that what he has are the straight bred Frost Greys that he got from Jay... I told him we were going to call them " Hutch Greys "... he laughed, said he appreciated that... but then said just to call the good ones "Hutch Greys "... the ones that aren't... call them Frost lol!!!

I like this post!