Thread: Cripple tony round heads

Jomargalvez

Cripple tony round heads

I Have recently acquired some cripple tony round heads from a friend in Alabama the roosters are all yellow leg but the hens some come yellow leg and some are a Dark Blue leg. I thought they had some type of Mcclean Hatch infused in them but my friend the breeder says that it is Red Quil Blood. Any one else have insight and experience with this type of round head (Cripple tony)???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cripple tony round heads

I use them in my 3 way crosses... very good result up to now..... smart, ability to top its opponent in flight, good timing..... I don't fight them straight bred nor half breed... they become defensive........

Post Thanks / Like

I use mine straight bred, there is no need to cross them up to get good results.

When I do cross I use hatch and Clarets but I am sure they will cross well with just about anything.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

A little information on the make up of Cripple Tony Roundheads. Bear in mind that the following took place during the 1820's through 1860's:

As told by Nick Arrington in letters - the following paraphrased from book, "The Immortal Nick Arrington", printed in 1965.

This begins in 1820's and 30's. My Grandfather Arthur Arrington had the old English Black Breasted Red fowl from England. He was in Bath, NC and met a ships Captain who had a snow white oriental cock from India. He was obtained and bred over the English BBR hens.

Later my Father was in Charleston, SC and purchased a pigeon blue solid color Spanish Cock and put over the hens from the English BBR and the White India cock.

Later, I found a wonderful Halifax, NC Irish Grey cock and put him over over hens descended from the above fowl. This constituted the Nick Arrington Fowl, also known as Cripple Tony Roundheads (named after one of Nick's slaves who was crippled and at whose cabin they were raised). After Rogers got these fowl they began to be called Arkansas Travellers.

Just as an aside, this tells us that the Cripple Tony Roundheads are not a subset of the famous Roundhead fowl of Allen and Shelton as many believe, but are (or were) about the same blood as the Arkansas Travellers.

Jomargalvez

THANK YOU FOR THE HISTORY!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by crawbound
    A little information on the make up of Cripple Tony Roundheads. Bear in mind that the following took place during the 1820's through 1860's:

As told by Nick Arrington in letters - the following paraphrased from book, "The Immortal Nick Arrington", printed in 1965.

This begins in 1820's and 30's. My Grandfather Arthur Arrington had the old English Black Breasted Red fowl from England. He was in Bath, NC and met a ships Captain who had a snow white oriental cock from India. He was obtained and bred over the English BBR hens.

Later my Father was in Charleston, SC and purchased a pigeon blue solid color Spanish Cock and put over the hens from the English BBR and the White India cock.

Later, I found a wonderful Halifax, NC Irish Grey cock and put him over over hens descended from the above fowl. This constituted the Nick Arrington Fowl, also known as Cripple Tony Roundheads (named after one of Nick's slaves who was crippled and at whose cabin they were raised). After Rogers got these fowl they began to be called Arkansas Travellers.

Just as an aside, this tells us that the Cripple Tony Roundheads are not a subset of the famous Roundhead fowl of Allen and Shelton as many believe, but are (or were) about the same blood as the Arkansas Travellers.

aurora gold

so the breeding was
    snow white oriental cock from india x old englishblack breasted hen from england
    and the pullets from the mating was crossed to
    spanish cock x india/england pullets
    very interesting crosses of bloods

Post Thanks / Like

There were two different families of "Cripple Tonys" one was indeed the Nick Arrington fowl as described, named after a cripple slave. The other and the ones most seen today were bred by Allen. He used the same Dr. Saunder's cock that he made the Roundheads when bred to the Grist/Grady hens. The foundation hens for the Allen "Cripple Tony" were from a Mr. Vines of Texas.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know where I could get a copy of the book the immortal nick arrington. Ive been looking for that one and havent been able to find it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by springwater
    Do you know where I could get a copy of the book the immortal nick arrington. Ive been looking for that one and haven't been able to find it yet.
    I had a copy, but my cousin made off with it. I believe I got it from Grit & Steel publications, don't know if anyone is still printing it. Just checked amazon they list one copy..$99
    Last edited by Mike Everett; February 14th, 2010 at 12:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike: I've always thought that the Vines Cripple Tonys were the descendents of the Nick Arrington fowl. I have read the history of the Vines fowl in old G&S (don't remember the issue or year, however). I think the Vines fowl came through several owners to Vines, but down from the Arrington fowl. Vines was younger than Arrington and therefore, probably the next generation of cockers down. However, I may be wrong in this, but I seem to think that's what the article in old G&S said. Of course, my memory does play tricks on me from time to time! Maybe someone can locate the Vines Cripple Tony History article in the old G&S and straighten us all out!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike: I've always thought that the Vines Cripple Tonys were the descendents of the Nick Arrington fowl. I have read the history of the Vines fowl in old G&S (don't remember the issue or year, however). I think the Vines fowl came through several owners to Vines, but down from the Arrington fowl. Vines was younger than Arrington and therefore, probably the next generation of cockers down. However, I may be wrong in this, but I seem to think that's what the article in old G&S said. Of course, my memory does play tricks on me from time to time! Maybe someone can locate the Vines Cripple Tony History article in the old G&S and straighten us all out!
    Yes, they could have very well been Travelers, but Allen bred the Vine hens to the same Dr. Saunders Cock that made the regular Roundheads to the Vine hens to make his family of Cripple Tonys. Allen sent Saunders a Knobcomb hen of his old family that was a brownred. I have a feeling the Vine hens might have also been dark and not blue. The foundation hens for the Allens RH were the Grist/Grady hens, these are the ones that contained Redquill.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you know! I found the Vines Cripple Tony article, a reprint in April 1967 Grit and Steel, originally printed in March 1928 Grit and Steel written by O. C. Nations. The article is three pages long so I won't type it all here just paraphrase some excerpts:

J. M. Vines was born about 1839 and died July 4, 1914, at the age of 75 and had raised Cripple Tonies for 65 of those years. Vines was orphaned early in life and was raised by John C. Murphy, a cousin by marriage. He worked in his store as a clerk. This was in Jefferson, TX. A man named Phil Crump came to Jefferson from Virginia. This was before the Civil War.

Mr. Crump brought with him a family of game fowl known as the Nick Arrington Cripple Tonies. Crump had secured these fowl from Col Nick Arrington, of the Carolinas. After the Civil War, which both Vines and Crump served in, Col Crump very much admired the boy, John M. Vines, and gave him a yard of these Arrington Cripple Tonies at the age of 10 years. Crump used the cocks the boy raised and helped him select his brood fowl.

Over the years Mr. Vines put into this family the blood of a Warhorse from Col Bacon's (now deceased) wife, A black cock from Louis Everett of Claiborne fame (referred to as a Niggerfoot cock), and a cock out of one of Vines's Cripple Tonies over another family of Warhorse from Dr. Breasears, Opelousas, LA. All these matings were bred back to the Cripple Tony side in each case.

So here we have it; John M. Vines started with Nick Arrington's Cripple Tonies and made three infusions of other blood over a period of many years always breeding back to the original Cripple Tonies. The first infusion must have been pretty soon after the Civil War, the second in the 1890's, and the third about 1910. In conclusion I guess we can say that Mr. Vines' Cripple Tonies weren't the same as the originals from Nick Arrington, but were still primarily of that blood. Hope you all find this interesting and informative.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course it is very interesting to know the history of the fowls you bred... I am successful with them so it makes my breeding more interesting, I can add more stories to my breeding.
    My 3 way battlecrosses are Sw/CTRh/YLH........

Jomargalvez

GREAT JOB finding that information. THANK YOU!!!!
    What do you know! I found the Vines Cripple Tony article, a reprint in April 1967 Grit and Steel, originally printed in March 1928 Grit and Steel written by O. C. Nations. The article is three pages long so I won't type it all here just paraphrase some excerpts:

J. M. Vines was born about 1839 and died July 4, 1914, at the age of 75 and had raised Cripple Tonies for 65 of those years. Vines was orphaned early in life and was raised by John C. Murphy, a cousin by marriage. He worked in his store as a clerk. This was in Jefferson, TX. A man named Phil Crump came to Jefferson from Virginia. This was before the Civil War.

Mr. Crump brought with him a family of game fowl known as the Nick Arrington Cripple Tonies. Crump had secured these fowl from Col Nick Arrington, of the Carolinas. After the Civil War, which both Vines and Crump served in, Col Crump very much admired the boy, John M. Vines, and gave him a yard of these Arrington Cripple Tonies at the age of 10 years. Crump used the cocks the boy raised and helped him select his brood fowl.

Over the years Mr. Vines put into this family the blood of a Warhorse from Col Bacon's (now deceased) wife, A black cock from Louis Everett of Claiborne fame (referred to as a Niggerfoot cock), and a cock out of one of Vines's Cripple Tonies over another family of Warhorse from Dr. Breasears, Opelousas, LA. All these matings were bred back to the Cripple Tony side in each case.

So here we have it; John M. Vines started with Nick Arrington's Cripple Tonies and made three infusions of other blood over a period of many years always breeding back to the original Cripple Tonies. The first infusion must have been pretty soon after the Civil War, the second in the 1890's, and the third about 1910. In conclusion I guess we can say that Mr. Vines' Cripple Tonies weren't the same as the originals from Nick Arrington, but were still primarily of that blood. Hope you all find this interesting and informative.