Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Brownreds

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do people not like brownreds?

I still breed our line of Brown-Red Speeders and love them!

Post Thanks / Like

good ones are hard to come by but they do exist or at least that's what i've been told !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slipspur View Post
    I traded old Knox Moore some of my Albany's for some of his Roy Grey Br's... they were game & did have bottom... they just couldn't cut a lick... about 1/4 of the stags came Hatch colored too...not what I wanted in BLACKS lol!!
    i raised them for knox from 1983 till his death in 91. the problem with them was their spurs were high up on the legs. they could get it done in the air but not on the ground. they were also the worst feeling roosters i ever owned and sometimes weighed near 7 pounds. i never got a hatch colored roy gray but he told me it was possible. he gave he a horace mckenzie cock that he had seen at copperstate and i got some hatch colors. the roy gray fowl were hatch / shufflers and so were the mckenzies. i think roy and horace were partners or friends.
    i get an occasional green legged red from my shuffers too.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one hell of a Brownred iud you can find the old kearney browneds you might be happy.

Post Thanks / Like

I do know of some Brown Reds that I would try... the guy even offered me some... I just have more blood lines than I should now... they are Black Gordons. ( he says they are mean as hell too which also prompted me to leave em alone )

Post Thanks / Like

My family has had brownreds for 20 years , they are game to the core and won for us in gaff when legal, good breakers, strong as an ox and will cut your neck off lol

Post Thanks / Like

I have brownred since 1998. They we're from Otic Geroso. They were fast and hard hitters.

Post Thanks / Like

most brown reds i have seen lately or so called brown reds look more like red quill. i had some a few years back if they didnt win in a hurry you better get your runnin shoes on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksnestfarm View Post
    I was jus wondering seems like not many people have brownreds are they not that popular?
    I've given my share of bad comments to brownreds but likewise given good comments about brownreds best assured those brownreds "i know" can clean it up pretty good within the first's rounds or you can count them out after that..

Post Thanks / Like

I have not seen any real good brown reds in a good while. The last ones i can remember was my uncles. Nothing like the today's brown reds though...They were not seed birds at all, they were power birds. Much like a hatch but a lil faster but they could cut.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on a persons first experience with brownreds. An old timer once told me that he hated Brownred because they werent game. He ordered em from States and it was a waste of money. Thereafter, anything labeled brownred, he did not like. But my first brownred was a sims brownred and it was game to the bitter death. So i like brownreds and it is because i had some good ones.

Post Thanks / Like

About 20 so years ago, there was a man named Pinkie Frietag here in west Texas that had some of the best brown reds I ever saw. They were of the Buck Haws line...he won alot of fights with those roosters. I am not sure if they were pure or not, but they were good.

Post Thanks / Like

Whats ya guys opinion on the TombStone Brownred? Game or not Game? also does it have cut? I am acquiring some that are proven a winning line, but would like more info on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jam671 View Post
    Whats ya guys opinion on the TombStone Brownred? Game or not Game? also does it have cut? I am acquiring some that are proven a winning line, but would like more info on it.
    Last Tombstone's i had dealings with were great cutters...They were game but did not have a lot of bottom to them. The crossed real good to good Hatch's though...still cut, game, with the bottom to go a long distance. Thing that really got me about those they were that if did not like was they were duckers.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, as long as they are game blood and great cutters, thats good enough. Nowadays with these 3.5 to 5 inch knives you dont need much bottom cause the fight ends pretty quickly. The ducking part is kind of discouraging, but i think that can be fixed during conditioning.

Post Thanks / Like

Brownreds are good for the LK but need to be infused with Claret to get that "bottom" in my opinion. Had these with the Tascosa Brownreds infused with Cdn Claret hens; got what it takes to show the opponents who's on top and who's down there when it comes to the real deal. Just my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

some the stuff people write on here drives me nutz theres good and bad in all lines alot of it is how you raise your birds and how you spar and condition u cant make one better then he is but you can NOT RUIN them witch is what alot of people do any ways i get zacdaddys and richard torres blacks tried others but i like these the best thanks to them both

Post Thanks / Like

There are blacks like Damon yorkmans , bama blacks , mike chambers bonanza , Mcrae that can get the job done and have the records to prove it

Post Thanks / Like

I have always liked Brownreds, my Dad raised a family of Wingates when I was a young boy so they are a nostalgia thing for me.

Like all the other strains and breeds there are both good Brownreds and not so good.

Al

Post Thanks / Like

i am starting to see a lot of brownreds over here. not too impressed though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jam671 View Post
    Cool, as long as they are game blood and great cutters, thats good enough. Nowadays with these 3.5 to 5 inch knives you dont need much bottom cause the fight ends pretty quickly. The ducking part is kind of discouraging, but i think that can be fixed during conditioning.
    They were good birds...mostly was just not my cup of tea, and i had other breeds i liked better i wanted to keep. I believe the ducking was more of a genetic thing that could be bred out. A friend of mine took them and did quite well with them in the short knife and as he bred them the ducking went away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
    I have always liked Brownreds, my Dad raised a family of Wingates when I was a young boy so they are a nostalgia thing for me.

Like all the other strains and breeds there are both good Brownreds and not so good.

Al

i never realized you were a roosterman, airedale.

kinnidi

Post Thanks / Like

I like them Racey Mugs, you gotta find them big body ones, they are the hardest to find.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion preety shure somone must have some good brownreds but just like the white fowl , usualy thell cut really bad but if they feel the steel theyl either run or get sad , I'm shure somone gots good ones but haven't yet seen them . I think with brownreds people rather breed for color instead of gameness maybe that has to do with somrhing .

Post Thanks / Like

My experience with black fowl, is kind of like slipspurs thoughts, so I decided to make my own dang blacks lol, been in the working for several years now, I got them real close to where I want them, so if ya can't find none to suit ya then make yourself and breed them toward where you think your goal is, mine will be well rounded and I love the breeding aspect of trial and error put the fun in the brood houses

Post Thanks / Like

brownreds, try longleaf, cross them onto their normans

Post Thanks / Like

we have had kearneys for almost 40 yrs and are good family they have stood the test of time ,they are pw lots of bottom ,so in my eyes they are like mike kearney says they hit harder than the kearney wh and we have both familys, they are both good birds

Post Thanks / Like

here is another ,this won is 13yrs old

Post Thanks / Like

I had some brownreds back in 2000 that were from a good breeder but didn't had what I needed they had speed but no bottom and could not cut a paper , just went on some rp blacks and mcrae and waiting to see how they do these have good power and speed but time will tell me if they can stay

Post Thanks / Like

We have had wingate brown reds from Middleton for 15 yrs they have been a special line for me and occasionally they come spangled but I lost my original brood cock and it took me about 4 breeding cycles to get it back using pure hen and a son so we should be ready to rock and roll and start raising some again . They have bottom my only complaint is that they rarely came out clean but they do have proven ability and look forwd to posting some future Picts of some stags.....