Thread: Flypens

Post Thanks / Like

Flypens

hey guys i need you opinion on something. the other day a friend of mine came over the house and saw my flypens. I have thee flypens with the diameters 4x4x6 and has a wooden floor with hay straws for scratch. He then made a suggestions that you shouldn't keep your roosters in the pens for too long because they inhale the dust from the straws and it woulnd't be good for their lungs. now guys this is where you come in what's do you guys think about this suggestions. I change the the straws every 3- 4 weeks and i rotate my birds from cords to the flyens every 4-5 days. is there any other things you can put instead of hay straws? anyone ever tried alphalpha or placing sand in a wooden floor flypen? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Flypens

Quote Originally Posted by salamagi53
    hey guys i need you opinion on something. the other day a friend of mine came over the house and saw my flypens. I have thee flypens with the diameters 4x4x6 and has a wooden floor with hay straws for scratch. He then made a suggestions that you shouldn't keep your roosters in the pens for too long because they inhale the dust from the straws and it woulnd't be good for their lungs. now guys this is where you come in what's do you guys think about this suggestions. I change the the straws every 3- 4 weeks and i rotate my birds from cords to the flyens every 4-5 days. is there any other things you can put instead of hay straws? anyone ever tried alphalpha or placing sand in a wooden floor flypen? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The only comment I can make to you my friend is you might overwork your birds if you keep them in there too long so just limit the time that their in there because its also like a big scratch pen, just my two cents!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flypens

I agree not to keep them in their too long because it is just like a scratch pen with the wood floor. I think thats where the flaw is the wood floor. You can really work the breast right off them if they are in their too long. I would add some sand to add a little weight to the scratch material and just keep it as clean as possible. But if I where you i probably be rotating them as often as possible not having them in there more than an hour or two