Thread: Democrat???

Democrat???

Who really is the originator? Ultimatefowl has a post about it and it named Blondie Rollan as originator and so as others like Payton etc.

Read the Insights on Inbreeders by Floyd Gurley and he mentioned that William McRae is it. Those Johnny come lately I think, stole the name Democrat of the real originator which is William McRae.

Does anyone have a straight scoop on this? This will be one hell of a discussion, hope it will be worth it.

Re: Democrat???

Seems I was told Blondie Rolland created the strain. fis

Quote Originally Posted by cutrite
    Seems I was told Blondie Rolland created the strain. fis
    I think that's what it says, that the fowl came from him. So, the book I'm reading only credits William McRae and not Blondie Rollan.
    Last edited by Camarines; May 20th, 2010 at 07:56 PM.

it was a W.Mcrae and blondie Rollan Collab!.....the old demo's were green legged fowl ,but known to throw yellow leg's, while the Paytons are yellowlegged fowl.

Your right it was Blondy Rollan and William McRae. Blondy actually made them in the first place but he put them at McRaes' place while he was setting up his farm. McRae raised many for Blondy. Blondy got the blood and made them himself. He made the fowl and while watching the Nixon/Kennedy debates someone told him the fowl were really good looking and they should have a name. He said he decided to vote for Kennedy so he also decided to call his fowl Democrats!! Thats the way its always been writting and they way Blondy told it. The Paytons got thier Democrats from McRae..

The Paytons got their Democrats from Blondie Rolland. Blondie was Bobby Payton's uncle thats how the Paytons got their Democrats.

Blondie may have made the first cross i do not know but he and William raised them together or seperate for many years.They where best at 5/8 Griffin claret 3/8 CC Cook Hatch the old strait comb Hatch that Law got from Sandford Hatch.My Democrats started from a dead pile cock at Clear Creek Alabama.Blondie showed a dark red strait comb cock that he told all us standing around listening about the cock before he was shown,that he took his best Democrat hen to William and he bred his best Democrat cock to the hen.Raising 7 cocks and selecting this cock to be his personal brood cock.He wanted Blondie to fight the cock before he used him to breed.The cock lost from a gizzard lick and wound up in the dead pile.From there to me.The cock had William McRae's wing band.I bred the cock to kelso hens and back to 7/8 the cock they show no signs of the Kelso blood.My Ridgerunner Democrats come both yellow and green legs,100% strait comb.

C G

hello there Ridgerunner2000,good post as usual from you. hey guys i've seen his fowls from my friend here in PI and they are winning.Good luck rigderunner2000,hope to see you here.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner 2000
    Blondie may have made the first cross i do not know but he and William raised them together or seperate for many years.They where best at 5/8 Griffin claret 3/8 CC Cook Hatch the old strait comb Hatch that Law got from Sandford Hatch.My Democrats started from a dead pile cock at Clear Creek Alabama.Blondie showed a dark red strait comb cock that he told all us standing around listening about the cock before he was shown,that he took his best Democrat hen to William and he bred his best Democrat cock to the hen.Raising 7 cocks and selecting this cock to be his personal brood cock.He wanted Blondie to fight the cock before he used him to breed.The cock lost from a gizzard lick and wound up in the dead pile.From there to me.The cock had William McRae's wing band.I bred the cock to kelso hens and back to 7/8 the cock they show no signs of the Kelso blood.My Ridgerunner Democrats come both yellow and green legs,100% strait comb.

C G

I always like the green legged ones they where a complete package, crossed to rhs they where a force back when legal.

Quote Originally Posted by jcjfarms
    I always like the green legged ones they where a complete package, crossed to rhs they where a force back when legal.
    GL democrat cross, a 2X winner... still a bullstag

Quote Originally Posted by slickwizzard
    hello there Ridgerunner2000,good post as usual from you. hey guys i've seen his fowls from my friend here in PI and they are winning.Good luck rigderunner2000,hope to see you here.
    Hey slickwizzard,thanks for the compliment.Tell James hello for me when you see or hear from him.
    Charles Greer
    Ridgerunner Game Farm

Quote Originally Posted by guamgazu
    it was a W.Mcrae and blondie Rollan Collab!.....the old demo's were green legged fowl ,but known to throw yellow leg's, while the Paytons are yellowlegged fowl.

I seen them both Green legged and Yellow legged now I know why...All this time I thought they come Yellow legged and wonder why people try to sell the green legged birds as the same line...This helps shed light on the breed...Good info guys!!!!!!!!

Tayud Consolacion Cebu/Ponsun Island,Land of the Orient Pearl Phils. /Dammam KSA

My father used to have them,I saw them how they fights.When I was at aged..of 8 yrs old my father got those imported eggs from his friend in US..were my father still in rattan business...I have witnessed and go with my father fights them at the pit to the old Riverside Consolacion pit.
    We have fought them at the aged of 9 months old and usually the opponents are all aged cock and winners..But due to my fathers confident..how this birds perform..So we fought them..as I remebered the 1st fight of our democrat is against a 3 time derby winner and 1 in hack the cock is Black...But our democrats is a 9 months....But Oh Boy I cannot believed how he wins impressively....the opponents when all around but he managed to evade all the opponent blow and got no fatal although its all big cut....But still managed to win...I would say he is the first stag as my fathers experienced that posses such tremendous power with cutting ability...that can cut with one pass..i called him ZIPPER....that time..coz he is the stag that i saw first time that cut his opponents almost cut half of the Body with just one pass...

Will demos ever come black spurred

So blondie Rolland and William McRae were the partners whom originated the line.. anyone know if Payton added anything to them?

so are they hatch kelso or plain hatch claret?

Call these toppies trumpies.

The orginal Democrats were 5/8 hatch 3/8 Griffin Claret. I new Blonde well when you mention the Paytons he would just laugh.

In the id 80s Buddy put YL St.comb Kelso into some of his Democrats, trying to get them to hit more licks because they had become slow, powerful cocks that were too deliberate. Buddy told me their style was not very good for the LK. but they did much better when the Kelso was added. When you research the breeding of the Democrats, you go back to the first Hatch/Clarets bred that were fought in one of the Tournaments. J. D. Perry was connected with these Hatch/Clarets. Hugh Norman matched into one of these cocks. He told me he found out then that to be successful in tournaments and derbies in the future you were going to have to fight crossbred fowl because the Hatch/ Clarets could take much more cutting than the straight bred fowl of the day.
    Blondie, Buddy, McRae, and the Smitherman bros. were all pretty tight and you never knew for sure whose cocks you meeting in the pit unless you had some more knowledge about that particular show of cocks. The Democrats came about because of the success of the first Hatch/Clarets' record and the Griffin blood was available because Blondie and McRae were friends with Ike and Elmer Griffin. Ike(Bubba) finally moved close to Montgomery, Al. which is about 20 mi. from Pratville, which is where Blondie lived. The Smithermans lived at Wetumpka which is in the same general area.

Will a little dose of Albany(1/8) make them faster and add more cut to them? Just asking.

That would depend on the Albany blood. But remember Albanys have Hatch and Claret in their makeup, same as the Democrats. A little Lacy RH blood would help a lot, I think.

this Democrat stag is gonna lose his freedom today.
    Last edited by tonetone559; December 2nd, 2018 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tonetone559 View Post
    this Democrat stag is gonna lose his freedom today.
    Hello, I've got a couple of Democrats i inherited and was told u da man. wondering if u had stags for sale?

One of the best crosses I ever had was Marsh Butcher over Payton Democrat hens. Smart powerful and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by hdbulldog View Post
    Hello, I've got a couple of Democrats i inherited and was told u da man. wondering if u had stags for sale?
    Not selling these Democrats. I'm raising some for my self maybe next year at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMEX View Post
    One of the best crosses I ever had was Marsh Butcher over Payton Democrat hens. Smart powerful and accurate.
    The same strains that the Lemon 84 has (butcher-claretxhatch). Keep them crowing.

Looks just like my ole' Democrat cock mines a little darker red

Blondie and McRae were the originators of the Democrat, My Dad, Loyce Derouen got 1 from Blondie, but really did not like him, he was kind of raw boney, long keel,
    Dark red, yellow leg with lots of plumage. Really was undecided if he was going to breed him. Frank Steele came for a visit and he caught the cock and told my Dad that he got one of the good ones. My Dad bred him into his Kelsos and they produced some very good roosters. When he lost the original cock, he went back to Blondie and the one he got was green legged with a real good body but he was not the producer the 1st cock was, but were very game birds.

The way I've been told many many times is Blondie sent the blood with McRae and he bred them for Blondie for years and when Blondie got ready he went and picked up many of them. People would stop by his farm and see how nice they looked and told him chickens that looked that good outta have a name. So him and McRae was listening to the election debates that nite and decided to name them after which ever party won. Kennedy won hints the Democrat name. One my mentors has told me this story ever since I was little and the story has never changed on his side from what I just said. And I do know when legal he kept in touch with McRae, Harold Brown, Blondie alot of the big wigs. Not sayin I know it all; this is just what I was told from all thru my life. Yfis; Chaston
    Last edited by Webby13; February 11th, 2019 at 10:04 PM.