Thread: hatch grey as base line......

Post Thanks / Like

hatch grey as base line......

Greeting fellow cockmates! I just would like to ask your opinion on this matter. In breeding they always suggest to use only 3 bloodlines. My choice would be a Sweater, Roundhead and a Hatch. However, I am a Hatch grey fanatic. My question is, can I use my greys as my hatch infusion? Since what we want from the hatches is gameness and bottom, which the greys definitely have, would you suggest I use my hatch grey for this?

Any thoughts on this guys?

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: hatch grey as base line......

Is your hatch grey a cross or is it set as a strain.

Post Thanks / Like

..your question is complicated,,are you asking to use your Grey blood instead of using your Hatch ? or you're asking about using a Hatch Grey cross as your foundation ? I say use any of the 3 combos,,..alot of grey fans use a grey cock over their Kelso,their RHs,their Clarets etc etc in place of using a Hatch cock over them..That is if you have the regular greys with dark legs,,I dont know alot about those yl/wl greys when talking about bottom and gamness..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monique07
    In breeding they always suggest to use only 3 bloodlines
    Thank you!

I would have to ask who is "They" and what makes them think "They" have all the answers? Unless "They" are dominating in the highest level of competition, with fowl "They" have bred and maintained for years I don't see how "They" can be giving breeding advice. If this is the same "They" I'm thinking of, "They" also say you have to have high station, round body like an Asil and a 45 degree tail. I think "They" are full of it and don't know half of what "They" think they know about breeding gamefowl. Not trying sound like an ass just saying don't believe everything you hear. Chances are your Greys have a good bit of Hatch in their makeup anyway.

,Zac

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: hatch grey as base line......

Quote Originally Posted by Zacdaddy77
    I would have to ask who is "They" and what makes them think "They" have all the answers? Unless "They" are dominating in the highest level of competition, with fowl "They" have bred and maintained for years I don't see how "They" can be giving breeding advice. If this is the same "They" I'm thinking of, "They" also say you have to have high station, round body like an Asil and a 45 degree tail. I think "They" are full of it and don't know half of what "They" think they know about breeding gamefowl. Not trying sound like an ass just saying don't believe everything you hear. Chances are your Greys have a good bit of Hatch in their makeup anyway.

,Zac
    ..Right On Zac....

Post Thanks / Like

if it was me i would just look and find they grey that matchs ur wepon and add them to the bloodline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1handkneehigh
    ..your question is complicated,,are you asking to use your Grey blood instead of using your Hatch ? or you're asking about using a Hatch Grey cross as your foundation ? I say use any of the 3 combos,,..alot of grey fans use a grey cock over their Kelso,their RHs,their Clarets etc etc in place of using a Hatch cock over them..That is if you have the regular greys with dark legs,,I dont know alot about those yl/wl greys when talking about bottom and gamness..
    yes sir, im asking that instead of acquiring a hatch line to infuse power, bottom and gameness, i will use my hatch grey instead. Is that ok?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zacdaddy77

,Zac
    zac, "they" are mostly from here. I read quite a few threads and the most common advise "they" give is to stick to a few lines. I actually agree with them in a way. My greys are a strain which are predominantly duke hulsey blood with an infusion of cecil davies hatch. Can I use them instead? Thanks zac

Post Thanks / Like

zac, "they" are mostly from here. I read quite a few threads and the most common advise "they" give is to stick to a few lines. I actually agree with them in a way. My greys are a strain which are predominantly duke hulsey blood with an infusion of cecil davies hatch. Can I use them instead? Thanks zac

Well don't let them fool you, there is no way to know if it will work until you try it and test the offspring. I wonder how many bloodlines "They" have on their farm, or backyard? Most I know over there have minimum of 5 and more commonly 10... plus another 5 they don't tell you about they use for infusion.

,Zac

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: hatch grey as base line......

yes sir, im asking that instead of acquiring a hatch line to infuse power, bottom and gameness, i will use my hatch grey instead. Is that ok?
    ..ofcourse it is fine as long as you know proper selection and culling methods,,Harold Brown made a line of "greys" by blending his Hatch to his greys,,Lonnie Harper's "Mule trains" are Hatch greys,,The Sammy Greys are nothing but Hatch greys,,Tom Hargus mad his greys by blending Hatch to them,,The Dan Davis greys are nothing but Bennet greys crossed with BFH....It's all in the culling friend and setting your standards higher than the compitition's........

Post Thanks / Like

for battlefowls, you can try any combination you want. Just make sure you test the offsprings before mass producing it.

Al

Post Thanks / Like

You can use your Hatch Grey as a base, better if your Hatch Grey came from a line already set as a strain. Harold Brown has those Hatch Greys set as a proven strain coming from blends of the Red Richardson Regular Grey crossed on Mclean Hatch. But you can always set your own strain if you happen to produce a nick coming from a fresh cross you made. If your standards were achieved in terms of winning percentage, gameness, cutting ability, conformation and health, you can continue breeding and establish them as your own strain of Hatch Grey.