Thread: Sweater and Kelso

Post Thanks / Like

Sweater and Kelso

I heard about Sweater and Kelso are well-matched to cross-breed. In your experience my friends in sport, I kindly ask to please tell me the advantage and disadvantage of this blood combination. Peace to tall. calvinjfarm.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sweater and Kelso

That has become one of my best crosses. It seems the kelso adds more cut and desperation for a win to the sweater and also better breaking ability. The sweater adds a little more steamline appearance and takes away a little of the over aggressiveness of the kelso. They seem to cross really well. I think it is about the same as a sweater radio cross as my kelso are very similar in style to radios. About the only disadvantage ive found is size. Some still come a little small with the smallest around 4.8 and the largest around 5.4 . Also some of the crosses still show the straight comb of the kelso which doesnt bother me but a lot of people like pea comb of the sweaters.
    Last edited by springwater; July 4th, 2010 at 09:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by springwater
    That has become one of my best crosses. It seems the kelso adds more cut and desperation for a win to the sweater and also better breaking ability. The sweater adds a little more steamline appearance and takes away a little of the over aggressiveness of the kelso. They seem to cross really well. I think it is about the same as a sweater radio cross as my kelso are very similar in style to radios. About the only disadvantage ive found is size. Some still come a little small with the smallest around 4.8 and the largest around 5.4 . Also some of the crosses still show the straight comb of the kelso which doesnt bother me but a lot of people like pea comb of the sweaters.
    Thanks a lot springwater. Me too does not bother about the comb, whether straight or pea comb. Even the feet color, it doesn't really matter to me as long as the result comes out OK. So, the size is seen to be disadvantage. It could be corrected anyway, right? Again, thanks a lot for your input. calvinjfarm.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I believe size could be corrected with selection. Of course that is a problem mainly with Mexico as they like the bigger birds with minimum of 4.14. Actually I think the size is right for philippines. It would also depend on the sweater you breed. Some of the sweaters come bigger than what I am breeding and my kelso dont come very big on average also so that is probably the reason for the size. Others sweaters and kelso may be bigger.

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many different kinds and styles of Kelso and Sweaters that one mans Sweater/Kelso cross could be very much different than another mans. The good Sweater/Kelsos I've seen come from the more med. station game, power type Sweaters over a higher station fast high breaking, good cutting type Kelso. The result was a good combination of both families traits.( which sounds the same as Springwater's cross) Of course if your Sweaters are the power type and your Kelsos are the power type also, when you cross them you will produce more power type fowl.

,Zac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zacdaddy77
    There are so many different kinds and styles of Kelso and Sweaters that one mans Sweater/Kelso cross could be very much different than another mans. The good Sweater/Kelsos I've seen come from the more med. station game, power type Sweaters over a higher station fast high breaking, good cutting type Kelso. The result was a good combination of both families traits.( which sounds the same as Springwater's cross) Of course if your Sweaters are the power type and your Kelsos are the power type also, when you cross them you will produce more power type fowl.

,Zac
    Hey Buddy, I got two different families of Sweater. One was from Charlie Bailey originated from Carol NeSmith and the other one from Danny of Alabama, originated from Newton Wade.

The Charlie's Sweater is low to medium stationed, while the Newton one is medium to high stationed. The Kelso I got from you is medium to high stationed. Would I get the height of your Kelso if I breed her to Charlie's Sweater? What do you think? Thanks a lot Buddy. Gani

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reli
    Hey Buddy, I got two different families of Sweater. One was from Charlie Bailey originated from Carol NeSmith and the other one from Danny of Alabama, originated from Newton Wade.

The Charlie's Sweater is low to medium stationed, while the Newton one is medium to high stationed. The Kelso I got from you is medium to high stationed. Would I get the height of your Kelso if I breed her to Charlie's Sweater? What do you think? Thanks a lot Buddy. Gani

Not really a way to know for sure. I would guess the kelso will give them better station, but all you can do is try and hope for best. I can tell you for sure the Kelso won't add anything bad the the mating.

,Zac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zacdaddy77
    Not really a way to know for sure. I would guess the kelso will give them better station, but all you can do is try and hope for best. I can tell you for sure the Kelso won't add anything bad the the mating.

,Zac
    Thanks Buddy.....Gani