Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly pen dimensions.

Chuck Taylors

Fly pen dimensions.

Hello cockers out there, what do you guys think about fly pens that measure 4 ft. wide, 4 ft. long, and 6 to 8 ft. high ? would you guys use it ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fly pen dimensions.

how about at LxWxH is 6ft x 3ft x 5ft, with post for cock to fly at about 4ft high from the ground?

Chuck Taylors

Quote Originally Posted by igorot View Post
    how about at LxWxH is 6ft x 3ft x 5ft, with post for cock to fly at about 4ft high from the ground?
    i got small space so i was just wondering if the 4x4x8 is ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Make it at least 8 ft in Length. 10 ft. is better. For takeoff and landing space.

Regards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by igorot View Post
    A roost set at 42" would be the maximum height that you would want to set your roost in a 5' high pen. With just 1 foot of head room your cocks or stags will hit their wing on the top of the pen and cannot stand up tall to pop their wings and crow, that would not be good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sentenciador View Post
    Make it at least 8 ft in Length. 10 ft. is better. For takeoff and landing space.

Regards.

well by the master w/ experience...
    sir chuck birds will kill its opponent by its feet not by its wings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sentenciador View Post

Regards.
    like the sentenciador said no less than 8 ft long so they dont hit the sides when they fly down fis stillbreaking

Post Thanks / Like

brah 4 by 4 is fine just make them high and put one botteom on your flys and use sand or hay i like to use hay because it breaks there fall better and also because they will scratch and build legs im making higher flys next year ten feet high with 8 foot perch in my opnion it really forces them to fly hard when they have to go stright up just watching then i also use pvc pipe for perches it works for me

Post Thanks / Like

mine is 1mW-1.5mL-2mH apprx. to exercise their wings and practice vertical lift too.

10. Likes chester liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why build fly pens if you can build 6 feet Teepees or higher. This way they will get exercise everyday. There wing muscles will be strong before you even think of fighting them. Conditioning there body start at day one not 21 days before the fight. For me fly pens is more as resting area specially at summer months for they will not be stress in the middle of sunny hot day in teepees. Instead they are at shaded and cool place walking, sand bathing or what ever they make them happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EXODIA View Post
    Why build fly pens if you can build 6 feet Teepees or higher. This way they will get exercise everyday. There wing muscles will be strong before you even think of fighting them. Conditioning there body start at day one not 21 days before the fight. For me fly pens is more as resting area specially at summer months for they will not be stress in the middle of sunny hot day in teepees. Instead they are at shaded and cool place walking, sand bathing or what ever they make them happy.
    he said he has a small yard so the six foot teepees would take to much space but i do like the idea though but i also like the flys because that way u can make the birds see each other and want to get at each other but they cant so they fly up and down all day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lansford101 View Post
    he said he has a small yard so the six foot teepees would take to much space but i do like the idea though but i also like the flys because that way u can make the birds see each other and want to get at each other but they cant so they fly up and down all day
    I use a string for my 6 feet or taller Teepee so they can reach the rosting pole. You can use even 3 feet cord if you like you just need to put a stopping rubber just enough for them to get to the resting pole. I don't have a picture to show you but you will get the idea.

Look carefully on the second picture. There is a clear string connected to the ground and to the tip of the resting pole. Somewhere in the middle of that string is a rubber to stop the cord just enuogh or confartable distance for them to get to the resting pole.
    Last edited by EXODIA; August 16th, 2010 at 05:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

h i also like the flys because that way u can make the birds see each other and want to get at each other but they cant so they fly up and down all day
    They dont really fly up and down all day with a roster next to them. Maybe for a day or two but after that they just relax do nothing much. Put a hen or pullet in between each fly pen and they will work or make a 2 rows of fly pen and face them together in the close building and put a pullets or hen in the walk way and they will be active mostly of the day. In that way your hens won't eat up your fly pen space .

Chuck Taylors

thanks for the information guys.

Chuck Taylors

brah 4 by 4 is fine just make them high and put one botteom on your flys and use sand or hay i like to use hay because it breaks there fall better and also because they will scratch and build legs im making higher flys next year ten feet high with 8 foot perch in my opnion it really forces them to fly hard when they have to go stright up just watching then i also use pvc pipe for perches it works for me
    sir lansford how long do you leave them in these pens? today somebody told me they will fly vertically, and will take out a lot of breast muscle...is that true?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Taylors View Post
    sir lansford how long do you leave them in these pens? today somebody told me they will fly vertically, and will take out a lot of breast muscle...is that true?
    I'll answer your question regarding about the breast muscle. The breast muscle is the primary muscle for the wing to make the birds fly. If ever your fowl was full breasted and after you put them to high perch for long period of time and lose some of his fullness or thickness without any changes of feeding it means that was fats that make them big and thick breasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Taylors View Post
    i dont have much space either so i leave them in there for a while and that breast mucle theory my be true but what the loose if u leave them in there for a week or two even they will eget back when u rotate them and put them on string just rotate them often and they should be fine but be carfull during the molt as there hurting if i had more room all my birds would be on teepee but they are fine as of now and ive done really good showing them i have like 15 blue ribbins from this past season and agenst tuff comp so do what works for u im just trying to help

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EXODIA View Post

I agree with you Sir Exodia

We basically use our flypen for resting especially those cocks condition to fight in few days time.

Post Thanks / Like

4X4 pens that are 8 foot high is the dimensions you wil find in the Filipino Fly Pen Method that Ovid Mikell sent out with his It capsules. Plus they are the dimensions of the Ben Gourly Method also the Shelby Johnson Methods. These folks had pretty good sucess with those dimensions. And I know a couple of other folks who use them dimensions. You put the roost pole approx., 5 foot high. The cock flies up and down vertically. Put some form of either waffer board of ply wood around the bottom, about 3 feet high, so the cocks will fly up and down constantly all day. You put the roost at an angle in one of the corners. You put a jump board just above the wood boarder at the bottom for you feed and water cups Use corn shucks, hay, or anykind of scratch material for the fowl to scratch for thier feed in during the day. Hope this helps...

Chuck Taylors

i dont have much space either so i leave them in there for a while and that breast mucle theory my be true but what the loose if u leave them in there for a week or two even they will eget back when u rotate them and put them on string just rotate them often and they should be fine but be carfull during the molt as there hurting if i had more room all my birds would be on teepee but they are fine as of now and ive done really good showing them i have like 15 blue ribbins from this past season and agenst tuff comp so do what works for u im just trying to help
    yes, thank you for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

4widex10longx8high. these ar the dimensions i used so i wouldnt waste any material.

Post Thanks / Like

I use flypens -- 4wideX5longX9high with the roost at 5 high.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johndi View Post
    mine is 1mW-1.5mL-2mH apprx. to exercise their wings and practice vertical lift too.

wow this are very nice one..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ Brothers View Post
    I agree with you Sir Exodia

We basically use our flypen for resting especially those cocks condition to fight in few days time.

I learn it from my study when I was in college and watching the chicken every minute when I don't have nothing to do back when I was in Philippines. When I was a kid I use to raise raising pigeon and I observe there behaviour. How they court there ladies, how they call them and what they do before maiting and all kind of stuff. One thing I learn from older breeder was the word common sence and be observant, learn from them not learn from you. They don't talk and we don't know what they want to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sentenciador View Post
    make it at least 8 ft in length. 10 ft. Is better. For takeoff and landing space.

Regards.
    i agree.................... Some times they could get injured if they cant land right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath View Post
    A roost set at 42" would be the maximum height that you would want to set your roost in a 5' high pen. With just 1 foot of head room your cocks or stags will hit their wing on the top of the pen and cannot stand up tall to pop their wings and crow, that would not be good.
    yes u are right they need 2feet above them

Post Thanks / Like

I have a dog kennel that was given to me it's 6 1/2 long 4 wide and 6 tall do you guys think that would be enough for a fly pen?

Post Thanks / Like

here is mine 5 x 12 each stall 6 stalls [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

31. Likes Lil Canyon Game, Thunderbirds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice set up bro whats your w h l?