Page 1 of 45 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaff Fighting Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Gaff Fighting Thread

One thread we had going that we lost was the Gaff Fighting thread... just to get it back up & running... does anyone in the PI have a good set of Burkey Duke 74's that could be used as a pattern? They are my all time favorites.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gaff Fighting Thread

Death ray are my all time favorited as a gaff man. for asil/cross regulation midium point. can anyone post any gaff fight in here. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I do slip.But I'd prefer American made...

Post Thanks / Like

I am a big fan of 2 1/2 inch medium point bayonet or 2 5/8 high point split sockets. In my opinion them 2 heels are some of the best long heels there are.

Did you know they banned medium point bayonets in short heel due to them being so effective and not everybody used them so people thought it was unfair. That is why short heel clubs use their own heels that way everybody is using the same thing. Short heel or long heel it does not matter to me. I would to see some of the so called greats come play in short heels they might remember things they forgot years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe if you ever get showing in the gaff, your gonna love it, the feel of the cocks in action in your hand, will be something, you will remember a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slipspur View Post
    One thread we had going that we lost was the Gaff Fighting thread... just to get it back up & running... does anyone in the PI have a good set of Burkey Duke 74's that could be used as a pattern? They are my all time favorites.

Hey slip I know what you mean we have two old pair that are around 2 1/8 with all of the sharppening. They are responsible for a pile of dead roosters over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

i would like to see the gaff fights in the PI.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ironhidehatch View Post
    i would like to see the gaff fights in the PI.
    Me too!!! Just let me get moved over & I'll try to help promote it... as outta shape as I am, and as bad as my knees are, I'd love to handle again!

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see it get going over there. The challenge would put everybody with good solid game chickens on equal ground until handlers figured how to really get good at handling.

Post Thanks / Like

We all know how we learned to handle... we watched for a while, tried to study the guys who were really good... and then, when we thought we were ready, we'd get someone we knew & could trust to be in our corner coaching us along. Those " handlers " in the Philippines are quick handed and would make good handlers ( in our sense of the word ) with just a bit of coaching... I'd most definitely be willing to coach a few. Way back in the day, there was a beautiful Filipina who used to handle in the gaff at the old Chickasha pit... she was damn good too! Any of you fellas remember her??? If ya saw her, you'd dang sure remember... she'd wear those wife beater undershirts & no bra... the crowd would follow her around in waves just to watch her bend over!!! LOL!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think we would see so many sweaters being fought.More like hatch,claret,greys And if you have a good family roundheads.Some mugs as well.

Post Thanks / Like

We all know how we learned to handle... we watched for a while, tried to study the guys who were really good... and then, when we thought we were ready, we'd get someone we knew & could trust to be in our corner coaching us along. Those " handlers " in the Philippines are quick handed and would make good handlers ( in our sense of the word ) with just a bit of coaching... I'd most definitely be willing to coach a few. Way back in the day, there was a beautiful Filipina who used to handle in the gaff at the old Chickasha pit... she was damn good too! Any of you fellas remember her??? If ya saw her, you'd dang sure remember... she'd wear those wife beater undershirts & no bra... the crowd would follow her around in waves just to watch her bend over!!! LOL!!!
    Now old buddy that just ain't right. Instead of nursing your cock during the 20 second rest period after the handle, a guy could be distracted and be thinking about nursing on something else and neglecting his own rooster. Women!!

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by "count me"? Is it to handle the birds if they're in trouble or is it to let the ref know you have the advantage in the fight? And how many times is the opponent counted out inorder for the winner to be declared a winner? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camarines View Post
    What do you mean by "count me"? Is it to handle the birds if they're in trouble or is it to let the ref know you have the advantage in the fight? And how many times is the opponent counted out inorder for the winner to be declared a winner? Thanks.
    When your rooster fights last, you can ask for the count. The ref will then start counting to 10. If the other rooster doesn't fight back in that 10 seconds, the ref will order "handle". The ref will mark 1 mark for you. You then have 1 count on your opponent. Then there is a 20 second rest period and the cocks are then re-pitted. If the other rooster fights when re-pitted then all counts are broken, if he doesn't, then the ref continues to count to 10 again and you will have 2 counts against the other cock. Then again the rest and re-pitted. If the cock still doesn't fight back, the ref continues to count to 10 again and you will have 3 counts. then the ref draws lines at 22" on the pit floor (the short score) and the cocks are pitted with one hand knee high and this is the long count. If the other cock still doesn't break count (fight back), the ref count to 20 this pitting and then order handle and you just won the fight. If at anytime the other cock fights back, then all counts are broken and the process starts all over again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath View Post
    When your rooster fights last, you can ask for the count. The ref will then start counting to 10. If the other rooster doesn't fight back in that 10 seconds, the ref will order "handle". The ref will mark 1 mark for you. You then have 1 count on your opponent. Then there is a 20 second rest period and the cocks are then re-pitted. If the other rooster fights when re-pitted then all counts are broken, if he doesn't, then the ref continues to count to 10 again and you will have 2 counts against the other cock. Then again the rest and re-pitted. If the cock still doesn't fight back, the ref continues to count to 10 again and you will have 3 counts. then the ref draws lines at 22" on the pit floor (the short score) and the cocks are pitted with one hand knee high and this is the long count. If the other cock still doesn't break count (fight back), the ref count to 20 this pitting and then order handle and you just won the fight. If at anytime the other cock fights back, then all counts are broken and the process starts all over again.
    Thanks, I got it.

Post Thanks / Like

These are getting almost impossible to find in the U.S.Also been looking for a pair for sometime.............Coldsteel
    One thread we had going that we lost was the Gaff Fighting thread... just to get it back up & running... does anyone in the PI have a good set of Burke Duke 74's that could be used as a pattern? They are my all time favorites.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by muscledean View Post
    These are getting almost impossible to find in the U.S.Also been looking for a pair for sometime.............Coldsteel
    I could probably get my hands a couple pairs I just don't know how to get then to the PI.

Post Thanks / Like

taped up shoe box with kitchen knives.

Post Thanks / Like

My dad still has a pair of those Duke 74's at 3in long think he has maybe used them once or twice...he keeps them for show now...lol.

Post Thanks / Like

What size is a long heel and short heel gaff?

Post Thanks / Like

What size is a long heel and short heel gaff?
    1 1/4" and 1 1/2" are considered short heels. 1 5/8" and any gaff longer than that are long heels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath View Post
    1 1/4" and 1 1/2" are considered short heels. 1 5/8" and any gaff longer than that are long heels.
    blackdeath,

Thanks again. I may have many more questions about gaff, mostly handling and maybe a few more on heeling the gaff.

Post Thanks / Like

Handling is more of an art form that comes with experience... heeling, I could teach anyone how to heel in about 5 minutes... it's not that complicated, just hard to explain without visuals.

Post Thanks / Like

Handling is more of an art form that comes with experience... heeling, I could teach anyone how to heel in about 5 minutes... it's not that complicated, just hard to explain without visuals.
    I've heeled in the gaff before but most of the time I get slipspur (your handle name). I follow Countyline's instruction on his handout. That's where my question in the gaff is. Do I do it too tightly on the hub or is it loosely.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert and slispur,

isn't Duke 74 more or less medium-point Bayonet?

Post Thanks / Like

I watched maybe 2 or 3 hack fights before I handled my first rooster. I did not do to bad at 13 years old LOL. I had my cousin coaching me due to him having MS I knew he would not be handling forever for us. So I had to learn how to do it. Now my cousin lets me use his place for a walk.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heeled in the gaff before but most of the time I get slipspur (your handle name). I follow Countyline's instruction on his handout. That's where my question in the gaff is. Do I do it too tightly on the hub or is it loosely.
    You have packed the stub too tightly and have hulled the spur.....when placing the gaff on the spur stub after packing it , it should be a a nice firm fit that dosent require much pressure to seat flush on the leg , the fit should be neither too tight nor to loose as to slip around or wobble freely.

newtogame .... yes , more or less it is a variation of the pattern.

Post Thanks / Like

Nonny described it pretty well, but, you can hull spurs by the packing being too tight or too loose. You want the moleskin to be ta where you have to sort of wiggle the hub down over the spur... but you want it to pop right off when lifting the gaff by just the leathers... take your time & get it right.

Post Thanks / Like

anyone got any pic of some gaffs thanks -cali

Post Thanks / Like

Nonny and Slipspur,

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll do better now.