Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 222728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Hennies

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hennies

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

What is the best way to cross a hennie to get the stags to come hen feathered. Hennie cock to regular hen or regular cock to Hennie hen?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I wanna know who i can get american hennies from? Here in the states!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carter21 View Post
    What is the best way to cross a hennie to get the stags to come hen feathered. Hennie cock to regular hen or regular cock to Hennie hen?

Thanks

You will produce a higher % of a henny-feathered stag if you will breed henny-blooded on both sides(cock & hen)

Post Thanks / Like

Spangled Hennie

7. Likes Javi_G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Banderita"..hennie broodhen

9. Likes Javi_G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

beautiful hennies.....................

Post Thanks / Like

I wanna know who i can get american hennies from? Here in the states!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a stag that when he was first feathering up he looked like a normal stag, red and blackish. But now that hes 3-4 months old he looks like a hen! His wattle hasn't grown and he looks like a pullet! Does that make him hennie?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carter21 View Post

Thanks
    Even though the hens give most of their traits to their stags, you will only end up with one out the whole clutch if you breed a non henny cock over henny hen. My buddy tried with a hen and a hatch cock but it took two clutches to get henny hatch cock!

Post Thanks / Like

your better off using both henny blood on the cock and hen side to really get what you want

Post Thanks / Like

IMO every yard should have a Henny to spar with the show birds. Very nice hennies throughout this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

We bred a hatch cock over Hennie hen and got some like in between hen and cock feathers.
    We bred these brother sister and got some cock feathered and some fully hen feathered. The hennie looking offspringd were better that the cock feathered off spring.
    I gave them up but my ex partner has them still.
    Last edited by gaff; June 29th, 2013 at 03:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cutcutcut View Post
    IMO every yard should have a Henny to spar with the show birds. Very nice hennies throughout this thread.
    Very nice Henny cock you got there sir cutx3. Reminded me of a Henny cock an old friend in high school had. Very similar feather color with yours but the full nest brother was a straight grey.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I have acquired a hennie from a friend of mine and its around 12 months old and hasn't fully came in, it will not quit when fighting with a hen but with another stag it hacks up how old does a hennie need to be in order to fight and stay or atleast spar?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnson farm View Post
    I have acquired a hennie from a friend of mine and its around 12 months old and hasn't fully came in, it will not quit when fighting with a hen but with another stag it hacks up how old does a hennie need to be in order to fight and stay or atleast spar?
    I'm a stag fighter so if a bird still does not hold its own against a cock in 10 minutes of fighting he will be culled at 8 months. Hennie or non hennie. Don't get me wrong, I only spar that long if I have doubts or if its new blood or a new combo.

Usually 1 minute is long enough for me to know if he is going to go the distance. And that's only because I know my birds.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree the rest of my stags I raise can hold there on at 6 or 7 months I like stags but had never raised hennies before so just wasn't sure if they where different cause I know some bird mature faster than others

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard that hennies bone's are built less dense than average fowl, which makes me think they were more of a flying bird. I've often wondered why nature developed the hennie. What advantage did hennie's in the wild have over other non hennies. The only thing I can think of is they routinely got the first hit, which still occurs. The one's I have seen are very quick finishers, but it is rare to see one win beyond the first few pittings. There not usually drag pit fowl. I'm sure someone has them though.

Post Thanks / Like
    My hennies are hennie only in color and fighting style. The blood that tuns in them are a multimix of what we have selected through the years. Hatch, Dirty Grey, Radio, OnO kelso, and more recently the experimental colors.

In my limited experience only two traits recur repeatedly in our hennie line: feathering and punching style. Two things we also observe with real hens.

The rest is really your own making. Body station, punching power, speed, gameness, health etc etc.

Just like any bird, I remind would be buyers that they are not buying a specific blood/gene but as with any case they are buying the Selection and Raising done by the breeder over the years. Where it goes and how it performs subsequently is largely the new owner/breeders own performance.

Even the pit performance, once brought out of the breeders system can be very different.
    Last edited by jailbird; August 2nd, 2013 at 09:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a throwback "HENNIE" which comes pure black from a JAP-BOLES ASIL x HATCH mating...I've asked both breeders of the broodfowls I got from if they ever have a history of having a HENNIE when breeding their respective gamefolws and both breeder said "NO". My mentor breeder of the HATCH, where I got from, offered me to buy the throwback HENNIE but I declined and told him he can borrow it after breeding it to his other bloodline.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ErwynDonor View Post
    I got a throwback "HENNIE" which comes pure black from a JAP-BOLES ASIL x HATCH mating...I've asked both breeders of the broodfowls I got from if they ever have a history of having a HENNIE when breeding their respective gamefolws and both breeder said "NO". My mentor breeder of the HATCH, where I got from, offered me to buy the throwback HENNIE but I declined and told him he can borrow it after breeding it to his other bloodline.
    Maybe, and most likely, one or both lines have a recessive gene for henniesm. And your particular mating allowed the gene to express itself. It is actually a dominant trait so if you breed him and breed bavk his daughters to him, you may get more hennies as you keep breeding the hennies to their sister.

I don't know if it's a valid observation on my part but most aseel blood usually carry some hennie gene. My aseel grades occasionally throw hennies even if the western line graded had no hennies in many generations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jailbird View Post
    Maybe, and most likely, one or both lines have a recessive gene for henniesm. And your particular mating allowed the gene to express itself. It is actually a dominant trait so if you breed him and breed bavk his daughters to him, you may get more hennies as you keep breeding the hennies to their sister.

I don't know if it's a valid observation on my part but most aseel blood usually carry some hennie gene. My aseel grades occasionally throw hennies even if the western line graded had no hennies in many generations.
    Thank you sir for your enlightenment and you are correct as I have found out on this site that asils do carry a hennie blood with them. I'm only going to breed him to only one bloodline as advise by my mentor and breed him only once then breed the best stag to his mother. He also requested some pullets of the 1st mating and will also try to breed the Hennie once he have it with his Peruvian and other bloodline in his farm to see the results.
    Last edited by ErwynDonor; August 3rd, 2013 at 03:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey 'svbj gamefarm' i dont know but that black hennie you posted on here is posted on oakridge as a 2 year old cock but here you said it was born in 09 if its not you selling it it might be a scan maybe someones just using your pic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gallaso View Post
    Hey 'svbj gamefarm' i dont know but that black hennie you posted on here is posted on oakridge as a 2 year old cock but here you said it was born in 09 if its not you selling it it might be a scan maybe someones just using your pic
    As much as possible water mark your pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EDeocampo View Post
    My buddy breeds those blue Henny's here in CA and also goes to the PI to show his fowl!