Thread: cackle hatchery

Post Thanks / Like

cackle hatchery

has anybody ever bought birds from cackle hatchery i already have proven bloodlines but would like to purchase some of these chicks to see if they are game and maybe start my own bloodline i was interested in their brown reds blacks and redquills what to you guys think they are 40 dollars for 5 chicks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cackle hatchery

cackle hatchery has show birds they do not have "GAME"fowl they are exactly what they are ment for showing they are by no means capable of being in the pit JMHO -cali

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by californiafowl View Post
    cackle hatchery has show birds they do not have "GAME"fowl they are exactly what they are ment for showing they are by no means capable of being in the pit JMHO -cali
    I agree with california fowl, I learned this lesson the hard way. I got 6 stags out of a brood from Cackle and I had to cull all but one. They are not game and not bred to be game. It wasn't a total loss though as the one I did not cull is a nice Brown Red and he is very game. I was also able to get four very nice BR OEG pullets out of that order that I plan to cross with some Kelso and Grey that I have coming.

Post Thanks / Like

delpsflock

Quote:
    Originally Posted by californiafowl

I agree with california fowl, I learned this lesson the hard way. I got 6 stags out of a brood from Cackle and I had to cull all but one. They are not game and not bred to be game. It wasn't a total loss though as the one I did not cull is a nice Brown Red and he is very game. I was also able to get four very nice BR OEG pullets out of that order that I plan to cross with some Kelso and Grey that I have coming. WHY WOULD YOU BREED

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Racer19 View Post
    WHY WOULD YOU BREED
    The Brown Red Pullets that I do have are very game, good station, and have some lemon hackle in them which I would like to have. I am going to try and breed them back after one brood with some Kelso. Also, like I said, the stag it also very game and has done good sparring with some of my cocks and other stags. That combined with the fact he is only 8 months old lends me to believe he might be alright. I backed into the OEGs before I knew anything about Americans.

Post Thanks / Like

i have to say i have ordered chicks from jeff smith at chackle hatchery to my suprise the where great game fowl i dont know about his brown reds or quills but his leapers are and sids are great if u cross them

Post Thanks / Like

sids they have known bloodlines i didnt know that

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: cackle hatchery

Quote Originally Posted by game_rooster18 View Post
    but his leapers are and sids are great if u cross them
    Is this true? Anyone else obtained this type of stock from Jeff?

Post Thanks / Like

I wudnt get fowl from cackle its a complete gamble. You mite get goode fowl but more often then not you will get birds good for nothing winning ribbons.