Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back into the game

Post Thanks / Like

Back into the game

Hey guys after having my roosters taken away form me when i was 15 about an year ago i finally found a spot to rent were i can have roosters near my home im am so happy rite now but i need youre guys options on if i should buy 1 trio and another spetrate rooster or 3 roosters? and waht blood lines do you guys recommend i had previously had Kelso hatch and 2 roundheads

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Back into the game

id buy a trio of roundheads and get a kelso and hatch cock to breed back to the roundhead hens. I started out with kelso, regular greys, and blueface hatch. they never let me down.

Post Thanks / Like

Kelso hatch is preety good atleast what I got just get whatever suits you best me personally would prob be a good grey trio and a good kelso roundhead or hatch trio and maybe a dark fowl like mcrae black or something like that just remember I made the same mistake is get good breeding fowl that's fought and won to breed with two years ago when I was 13 didn't really know a hole lot and got some cheap game birds at flea market and didn't turn out worth a flip and got rid of them after first breeding season then found a good local breeder/fighter and finally got good breeeding fowl

Post Thanks / Like

thats very true. Its pays in the long run to get good proven fowl. Its hard to say just a few breeds cause ive got alot of diffrent ones but i have breeds that i breed the most. most of the others are just hens or cocks that i only have 1 or 2 of to cross into my other fowl. But good greys, kelso, hatch, or roundheads to start out with is a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock789 View Post
    Kelso hatch is preety good atleast what I got just get whatever suits you best me personally would prob be a good grey trio and a good kelso roundhead or hatch trio and maybe a dark fowl like mcrae black or something like that just remember I made the same mistake is get good breeding fowl that's fought and won to breed with two years ago when I was 13 didn't really know a hole lot and got some cheap game birds at flea market and didn't turn out worth a flip and got rid of them after first breeding season then found a good local breeder/fighter and finally got good breeeding fowl

Post Thanks / Like

If you could get some good blues, Hatch and good asil. Blues cross good on hatch and asil. Personally I like the blue asil cross better. The main thing with asils if they do not nick at 1/2 and 1/2 they will not nick. Blue asils and hatch blues would be all young man needs in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i dont know much but i have a know a breeder who helps me and mentors me when i have a question but he lives in hour away so i dont see him much.But i think im mosty likey going to get a roundhead trio and maybe two other brood cocks or should i just get 1 battle cock and 2 brood cocks and 2 hens??

Post Thanks / Like

What I did is just breed first season then I crossed next season and did pretty good or you could breed some crosses and pures just what suits you best

Post Thanks / Like

robert u ever had rupert cogburns miner blues ? I got some and they are really nice birds. Ive got a atkinson asil/kelso cock. but what kinda asil would u recomend.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts44903 View Post
    If you could get some good blues, Hatch and good asil. Blues cross good on hatch and asil. Personally I like the blue asil cross better. The main thing with asils if they do not nick at 1/2 and 1/2 they will not nick. Blue asils and hatch blues would be all young man needs in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah hopefully all goes well ill be sure to keep you guys updated with pictures of my set up and the birds

Post Thanks / Like

If I could post pics from my phone I would but I can't so ill try when I get to computer again getting guy to come build me some fly and brood pens so ill be set after that lol

Post Thanks / Like

The main thing is good foundation fowl. Keep them pure so you can remake the good crosses and not make the same mistakes twice. Dont get hung up on breeding crosses to crosses unless you have years to spend because you'll never get that time back....

Post Thanks / Like

I have the cogburns now in fact...
    EITHER WAY.. i totally do not recommend you starting out with off color, off beat Or novalty fowl as was suggested in the quote above.. , i suggest you get yourself something that is not as hard to find, i been looking for redquills for a decade and still have not found any I like well enough..why? either not game, no bottom, too inbred something always they are missing.. none of the above mentioned are famous for being all around good fowl, always used for crosses mostly NOT ALWAYS BUT MOSTLY so i suggest you get you the following.

If you are going to buy a trio, i suggest buying a mixed trio.. say i think hurtsboro combine sells a deal to beginners.. they give you a ylh cock , ylh hen and a glh hen for like 300$ they are decent fowl and well worth the money... ok that way you have a family of ylh (preffered by most as they are more adaptable to all 3 major heels than gl alot of the time as they are USUALLY BETTER CUTTERS AND FASTER MOVING) and a glh hen for crossing on... then id find me a Pair of RH's that i liked, i suggest a good family of Lacy, or any of the good brunners or cowans will work well too if you can find them... for a 3rd angle you have ylh, glh (for crossing) and rh's... now in the 3rd purchase id probably go for a grey or a black family.. greys of solid decent much easier to find, if u can find black u like thatd work fine too as both strains cross well usually on hatch and rh, that would give you a total of the following:

CONTINUED NEXT POST

Post Thanks / Like

Thatd leave you with 10 possible crosses and you can cross to rooster side or hen side of each cross making nearly 20 ways you can breed from those 3 purchases.

you would have..
    Other=Grey or blacks as an example.
    yhl pure - yhlxglh - ylhXRH - ylh X grey (for example or black w/e u like)

glhXrh - glhX other (grey or black) -

RH pure - rhX Other(grey or black

other pure.(grey/black)

get it? then all but glh you can breed to hen side for example....
    yhl cock X RH hen ORRRR Ylh HEN X RH COCK same can be done with YLHX GREY
    then with the pure you can go 2 ways, linebreed sister to daddy over and over to keep the family right, or you can linebreed son to mama to do the same, I personally do both splitting eventually into 2 familes of the same breed so you can have a line made to frshen up the other with , so you dont have to cross you pure stock all up or infuse every so ofton, you outcross inwards so to say, its technically enough cross to retain hybrid vigor, by using identical fowls..

each of the pair will be able to do this and sometimes this alone makes the difference in the ability of the cross, hope this helps, yfis Hotcocker.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you got conatct info for hurtsboro combine intrested in the trio of theirs

Post Thanks / Like

i can dig out my magazines and look it up, anyone have the gamecock handy? they have a small ad in the back part , the personals area, says "Hurtsboro Combine- Beginners Special"

Post Thanks / Like

joe worrell 334 855 9274. hurtsboro combine

Do you got conatct info for hurtsboro combine intrested in the trio of theirs

Post Thanks / Like

If you can just let me know whenever I need a good hatch family for my place thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Alright Thank you b&b.

Post Thanks / Like

no problem. I hope u get some good ones. I got 3 bloodlines of hatch and im stickin with them. There johnny mitchell leipers, sweater mcquinnis blueface, pinnon yellow leg hatch. I got some i cross in like ray hoskins yellow leg mclean, and jack walton hatch. But i dont breed them pure. I also have a line called batin hatch but i dont know of but 1 other person with them.

Alright Thank you b&b.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you raise sweaters greys I've herd they're some real good birds

Post Thanks / Like

yes i do. thats the only greys i have. i got them from a very close friend thats like my grandpa. he got them from williams farm. They are amazing. what they lack in size they make up with game and power.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you sell any of them like young stags and pullets or chicks

Post Thanks / Like

I would get pairs of kelso, roundhead and hatch for base blood and breed pure and crosses of each.

Post Thanks / Like

stags and pullets around a year when i do sell. but i dont sale many. i dont breed them alot. i try to hang on to them lol. But yea i do sell them when i raise them and no chicks at any time

Post Thanks / Like

Well what's your price on them

Post Thanks / Like

150 stag 100 pullet. Cocks between 150 and 250.

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion is take it slow... I had the same thing happen to me twice before and had to start over. The worst mistake i made the first time was going out and buying a bunch of pure this or that just to find out that it wasnt all that. Take your time and really look around where your at do some good research before spending money. Dose not matter the breed unless you just dead set on something But its always good to have a good Hatch family. Last time i started over... I was able to keep one breed i have always loved thanks to a good friend. Then i found me some good hatches, After that I was able to start finding what i like slowly and it has really paid off.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright sir ill definanlty get with you in spring will you have any then sir

Post Thanks / Like

i should. just get back with me. i will have other fowl 2

Post Thanks / Like

Alright I will get with you about the end of february that work?