Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper way to breed a trio....

Post Thanks / Like

Proper way to breed a trio....

I have heard that you can raise 4 different "families" from a single trio of gamefowl. I am not an expert on breeding and do not know how this is possible. I know what inbreeding and linebreeding mean, but still unsure how to breed to keep a family going strong out of just one trio. Any advice would be appreciated. Bobby

2. Thanks ehmong, Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proper way to breed a trio....

your trio must have differnt bloodlines!!!

4. Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

if the breeder you got them from is still alive i woukd ask him 'only' how to keep em going, and have many empty pens or cords to fill.

6. Likes dungeon, Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK I am going to run through this kinda of fast so keep up with me. You do not need cross bred trio at all this will work for a pure trio. I known a couple people to use this method and keep families going for 40 years and more the longest this method has worked and still working is over 60 years from 1 trio no new blood added.

Single mate cock to both hens. Take best stag breed to mom and take best pullets bred back to dad. Ok now you got 3 lines here is the tricky and hardest part. Find a friend that will bred them your way and not add any new blood to them. 2 friends would be even better on this. Take 1 line to 1 friends house and leave them and the other line to another friends house. Every four or 5 years go pick up fowl from your friends and take them fowl. This way it is like adding new blood due to difference in ground, water and etc etc. It maybe like adding new blood but, it is the same blood. Just remember selection is the key here. Just like any other breeding selection will make or break a family of fowl.

My friend has done this for over 60 years with fowl he got from Heiny. We do not know how Heiny got them from Mr Murphy why care that was over 60 years ago. He was gifted this trio when he was 12 years and in his mid 70s now.

Just remember be honest if you do not like the rooster or pullet cull it. I have done this for a few years and I notice big difference in fowl. Difference in ground and stuff can bring out different traits such as feather color and size.

Good Luck with your trio I hope you found this helpful

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts44903 View Post
    OK I am going to run through this kinda of fast so keep up with me. You do not need cross bred trio at all this will work for a pure trio. I known a couple people to use this method and keep families going for 40 years and more the longest this method has worked and still working is over 60 years from 1 trio no new blood added.

Single mate cock to both hens. Take best stag breed to mom and take best pullets bred back to dad. Ok now you got 3 lines here is the tricky and hardest part. Find a friend that will bred them your way and not add any new blood to them. 2 friends would be even better on this. Take 1 line to 1 friends house and leave them and the other line to another friends house. Every four or 5 years go pick up fowl from your friends and take them fowl. This way it is like adding new blood due to difference in ground, water and etc etc. It maybe like adding new blood but, it is the same blood. Just remember selection is the key here. Just like any other breeding selection will make or break a family of fowl.

My friend has done this for over 60 years with fowl he got from Heiny. We do not know how Heiny got them from Mr Murphy why care that was over 60 years ago. He was gifted this trio when he was 12 years and in his mid 70s now.

Just remember be honest if you do not like the rooster or pullet cull it. I have done this for a few years and I notice big difference in fowl. Difference in ground and stuff can bring out different traits such as feather color and size.

Good Luck with your trio I hope you found this helpful
    This is very helpful, thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

no rules...just enjoy it...try sisters if you can...

10. Likes RLaurent14, BLAKE V. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Find a friend that will bred them your way and not add any new blood to them. 2 friends would be even better on this. Take 1 line to 1 friends house and leave them and the other line to another friends house. Every four or 5 years go pick up fowl from your friends and take them fowl.

This is very hard, especially here in the Phils, if ull pick ur fowl every 4-5 years .. they must be in heaven already joining the white leghorn of san pedro.. THERE ARE LOTS IF FRIENDS THAT ARGUE BECAUSE OF FOWLS HERE.ITS HARD TO FIND A TRUSTED FRIEND HERE ESPECIALLY WITH CHICKENS..=) the idea is great though..

12. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes regulargrey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kabado sa sugal View Post
    Find a friend that will bred them your way and not add any new blood to them. 2 friends would be even better on this. Take 1 line to 1 friends house and leave them and the other line to another friends house. Every four or 5 years go pick up fowl from your friends and take them fowl.

This is very hard, especially here in the Phils, if ull pick ur fowl every 4-5 years .. they must be in heaven already joining the white leghorn of san pedro.. THERE ARE LOTS IF FRIENDS THAT ARGUE BECAUSE OF FOWLS HERE.ITS HARD TO FIND A TRUSTED FRIEND HERE ESPECIALLY WITH CHICKENS..=) the idea is great though..

That is how we do it in the States nothing said about PI that is another ballgame. Maybe over there pay them some money to do it. Everybody loves the color green. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts44903 View Post
    That is how we do it in the States nothing said about PI that is another ballgame. Maybe over there pay them some money to do it. Everybody loves the color green. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

my own concept of breeding is not from trio..although i usually acquire trio because it is frequently the deal, but in breeding i made my own concept of creating families from 4 chickens..either 3 hens and one roster or 2 hens and 2 rosters..quadro might be a good name..hehe..i want to avoid inbreeding that's why im using this technique..

im now in the first stage..

16. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes RLaurent14, Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How should i breed

I would like to get you guys opinion this ... I got a trio of Albany then later another hen . I will be breeding them pure this year . The hens are all different markings but the last hen I got has the same markings as the rooster . I was thinking about line breeding back to the brood cock , but should I even line breed the offspring from the bro-sister mating ? Or use those to infuse to the others .How would ya guys go about this to keep them going , your help is appreciated . Post here or pm . Oh and yes I will ask the breeder also .
    Thanks Victor

18. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How should i breed

Quote Originally Posted by vic5.0 View Post
    I would like to get you guys opinion this ... I got a trio of Albany then later another hen . I will be breeding them pure this year . The hens are all different markings but the last hen I got has the same markings as the rooster . I was thinking about line breeding back to the brood cock , but should I even line breed the offspring from the bro-sister mating ? Or use those to infuse to the others .How would ya guys go about this to keep them going , your help is appreciated . Post here or pm . Oh and yes I will ask the breeder also .
    Thanks Victor
    I would breed the 2 hens marked differently to the cock then take the best stag out of them and bred to the hen that is marked same as the cock. Then take best stag from that and put with the best of the original 2 hens. All the while this is going on breed the cock to the best of the best pullets.

Then again you could breed brother and sister and see what if they have any cold blood in them.

20. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes turbo_harpoon, vic5.0, Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So basically you will have four lines. (One stag bred back to its mom, and two lines back to the dad) Sounds pretty simple there.

Now within the four lines you can keep going however inbred or linebred you want to go(However you want to call it). But you can always criss cross between your different lines and you can go on for a long time without having to go back and get more fowl.

22. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On the original trio if the family has been set as a strain, why can't you single mate both hens and mark differently then breed the offspring from both hens together? Now take the pullets from this mating and breed back to the original cock. Choose the best confirmation stag and single mate back to both original hens.

I don't understand why son to mother and father to daughter, seems just too close.

24. Likes dungeon, kali ises, Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not share my breeding methods, and rarely give breeding advise, but I'll add something here. If you were to start with a trio, and IF they test out well and win a good percentage, you would save yourself a lot of time and money by ordering 1 more individual, pullet or stag to breed to your offspring, and even original broodfowl. A stag or cock being more productive. I don't care what B.S is written in the magazines, or who claims to have gotten a pair from Christopher Columbus in 1492 and never added any new blood, most is hearsay, BS, and nonsense. One more individual will enable you to bred 10 different ways you couldn't have bred from a trio alone. There is a time for inbreeding/linebreeding, but not when you are starting with a new line. I have some from very tight bred fowl, bred very close, without adding outside blood, and I almost never breed Mother/Son, Father/Daughter, Bro/Sis. If your fowl are not improving in some way every generation, you are not really breeding gamefowl, you are just raising chickens. Of course this all just my view on things. No harm intended.

,Zac
    Last edited by Zacdaddy77; August 12th, 2012 at 01:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would single mate both hens lets call them a and b take stag from b and breed it to a and stag from a and breed it to b then take as many of these pullets a s u like and breed back to the original cock and do it all over again it is line breeding but not super close

27. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes RLaurent14, bcorey, vic5.0, Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very informative specially for beginners like me who has just recently acquired a trio... would save me alot of time and money if i have the right information the proper way to breed a trio.i hope more good chicken enthusiast will share their knowledge in breeding.

thank you and god bless!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zacdaddy77 View Post
    I do not share my breeding methods, and rarely give breeding advise, but I'll add something here. If you were to start with a trio, and IF they test out well and win a good percentage, you would save yourself a lot of time and money by ordering 1 more individual, pullet or stag to breed to your offspring, and even original broodfowl. A stag or cock being more productive. I don't care what B.S is written in the magazines, or who claims to have gotten a pair from Christopher Columbus in 1492 and never added any new blood, most is hearsay, BS, and nonsense. One more individual will enable you to bred 10 different ways you couldn't have bred from a trio alone. There is a time for inbreeding/linebreeding, but not when you are starting with a new line. I have some from very tight bred fowl, bred very close, without adding outside blood, and I almost never breed Mother/Son, Father/Daughter, Bro/Sis. If your fowl are not improving in some way every generation, you are not really breeding gamefowl, you are just raising chickens. Of course this all just my view on things. No harm intended.

,Zac
    Good post Zac thanx for sharing your view.

Post Thanks / Like

, thanks for sharing gentlemen ,,,, very informative

Post Thanks / Like

I would breed the trio but in single mating fashion so is to keep the stags an pullets marked diffrently and line breed back to the mothers as well as the cock. then take the best each year and do the same an try to get as close back to the original trio hens as possible.

32. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

,Zac
    very informative, I have heard thru the grape vine you have maintained an old line of blueface and kept them in top competition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kogmohon View Post
    no rules...just enjoy it...try sisters if you can...
    i tried that once woke up with the lee sisters ugly and uglyer

35. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you very much indeed. this is very informative and well explained. I am also new in breeding and i acquire mclean trios. unfortunately its a cockerel trio age 3-4 months. any advice on this matter is much appreciated. thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How should i breed

Quote Originally Posted by vic5.0 View Post
    Thanks Victor
    Are you sure they are full bro & sis? If the breeder you got them from does pen mate, not single mate. The toe mark could be the pen mark or the sire mark & not necessarily full bro & sis. If pen mated & from different birth year, they could even be from different sires. Ask the breeder how they were mated.

Keep them Crowing,

yunke8888

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trueedge View Post
    So basically you will have four lines. (One stag bred back to its mom, and two lines back to the dad) Sounds pretty simple there.

Now within the four lines you can keep going however inbred or linebred you want to go(However you want to call it). But you can always criss cross between your different lines and you can go on for a long time without having to go back and get more fowl.
    Yes sir,

As long as you only use vigorously healthy individuals to breed, they should do OK whether you line-breed or inbreed them. Always select brood material from a long line of healthy, well bred for performance & deeply game. Rigorous selection and ruthless testing & culling go hand in hand with most successful breeding programs.

Keep them Crowing,

yunke8888

Post Thanks / Like

,Zac
    You are right Zac,

The more different matting combinations & the more offspring you can get from @ matting, the more strict you can be on your selection method.

Keep the Best & Cull the Rest,

yunke8888

40. Thanks Zacdaddy77 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyRN1971 View Post
    I have heard that you can raise 4 different "families" from a single trio of gamefowl. I am not an expert on breeding and do not know how this is possible. I know what inbreeding and linebreeding mean, but still unsure how to breed to keep a family going strong out of just one trio. Any advice would be appreciated. Bobby
    U do have 4 "families" and u don't have to have a buddy to help u in any way. U can maintain all 4 easily u just have to mark them (I use wing bands). I can't type and explain how to do it but I could send u a chart that explains it well. If u ain't patient this isn't for u and u have to pay attention or u could mess everything up by heavily inbreeding and not knowing u are inbreeding. It will take 4+ years but when done u can have 4 families that aren't genetically related enough to matter. I was taught this method and the man that thought me has maintained them for years with great results. I have never done this method with a trio just a pair but its the same concept.

42. Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw greys View Post
    I would single mate both hens lets call them a and b take stag from b and breed it to a and stag from a and breed it to b then take as many of these pullets a s u like and breed back to the original cock and do it all over again it is line breeding but not super close
    This is another way to add 4 more different breeding combinations to the original trio equation. The pullets out of this mattings would still be gr daughters to the original cock & be line-bred to him, but it will not be as tight genetically as breeding to daughters that are grand daughters at the same time.

Also every time you breed a different mating combination, you can also test a Bro-sis mating. As you go down the line from 1 generation to the next the mating combinations multiply themselves. A pair line-bred to their offspring for 3 generations (15/16 ) can technically give you up to 16 different matting combinations, if you try every route available, without a single one being Bro-Sis. Check a 5 generation chart to confirm. Doing the Bro-Sis simultaneously, can double the amount of mating combos to 32 possible, for a trio up to 64 possible. That is a hell of a lot breeding pens if you are single matting. Do not get intimidated by the # of possible combinations because, if you are a ruthless selector & culler, you will end up with a much reduced # of different mattings after each generation.

Select through ruthless testing & culling.

Keep the Best & Cull the Rest.

yunke8888
    Last edited by Yunke8888; March 23rd, 2015 at 09:57 AM.

44. Likes sinapangan, flyer34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

when you buy trio go ahead and get extra stag have 2 pair then what you get from both lines cross to each other.

46. Likes dungeon, Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Breeding a trio, I would start on a pair of same family of game fowl , sample a possume sweater on a pair of brood stag and pullet and the 2nd brood pullet will we 1/2 possume and 1/2 other family of game fowl with same feather and feet color to possume sweater.

This way, i can easily monitor of which on the 2 pullet produce winner stag and can continue breeding on possume sweater side for a number of generation without minimizing bad effect, lost station and stay vigor.

HAPPY KASABONG TO ALLLL..