Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proper way to breed a trio....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proper way to breed a trio....

Quote Originally Posted by Yunke8888 View Post
    This is another way to add 4 more different breeding combinations to the original trio equation. The pullets out of this mattings would still be gr daughters to the original cock & be line-bred to him, but it will not be as tight genetically as breeding to daughters that are grand daughters at the same time.

Also every time you breed a different mating combination, you can also test a Bro-sis mating. As you go down the line from 1 generation to the next the mating combinations multiply themselves. A pair line-bred to their offspring for 3 generations (15/16 ) can technically give you up to 16 different matting combinations, if you try every route available, without a single one being Bro-Sis. Check a 5 generation chart to confirm. Doing the Bro-Sis simultaneously, can double the amount of mating combos to 32 possible, for a trio up to 64 possible. That is a hell of a lot breeding pens if you are single matting. Do not get intimidated by the # of possible combinations because, if you are a ruthless selector & culler, you will end up with a much reduced # of different mattings after each generation.

Select through ruthless testing & culling.

Keep the Best & Cull the Rest.

yunke8888

As mentioned above, there is no shortage of combination possibilities available. IMHO: The biggest obstacle to success in maintaining a strain or bloodline going for the long run, is not as simple as, using a certain # of combinations or a pre-determined breeding system. The biggest obstacle is, how wisely you select each individual, for the foundation stock and for each mating in each following generation. "Pure" or straight bred, broodstock is not necessarily a guaranty of success. Not every individual can handle inbreeding or linebreeding, not every matting results in a nick, regardless of strain/bloodline or breeder.

Rigorous selection and ruthless testing & culling, helps improve the quality of the selected individuals to breed out of.

yunke8888

As somebody mentioned: If there is no improvement in each generation, you are not breeding, you are just raising chickens.
    Last edited by Yunke8888; May 14th, 2015 at 12:16 PM.

2. Thanks Ky. T. O. thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yunke8888 View Post
    This is another way to add 4 more different breeding combinations to the original trio equation. The pullets out of this mattings would still be gr daughters to the original cock & be line-bred to him, but it will not be as tight genetically as breeding to daughters that are grand daughters at the same time.

Also every time you breed a different mating combination, you can also test a Bro-sis mating. As you go down the line from 1 generation to the next the mating combinations multiply themselves. A pair line-bred to their offspring for 3 generations (15/16 ) can technically give you up to 16 different matting combinations, if you try every route available, without a single one being Bro-Sis. Check a 5 generation chart to confirm. Doing the Bro-Sis simultaneously, can double the amount of mating combos to 32 possible, for a trio up to 64 possible. That is a hell of a lot breeding pens if you are single matting. Do not get intimidated by the # of possible combinations because, if you are a ruthless selector & culler, you will end up with a much reduced # of different mattings after each generation.

Select through ruthless testing & culling.

Keep the Best & Cull the Rest.

yunke8888

You only need 3 or 4 successful sub-lines to keep going but until then it will take you through a lot of trial & error.

The rigorous selection & ruthless testing and culling, as well as 365 care, go on forever.

Good Luck,

yunke8888

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brettjern View Post
    U do have 4 "families" and u don't have to have a buddy to help u in any way. U can maintain all 4 easily u just have to mark them (I use wing bands). I can't type and explain how to do it but I could send u a chart that explains it well. If u ain't patient this isn't for u and u have to pay attention or u could mess everything up by heavily inbreeding and not knowing u are inbreeding. It will take 4+ years but when done u can have 4 families that aren't genetically related enough to matter. I was taught this method and the man that thought me has maintained them for years with great results. I have never done this method with a trio just a pair but its the same concept.
    HI Sir,
    it would be highly appreciated if you can pm me this as I am about to start my a small scale breeding. I have not yet aquired any breeding materials as I want to know as much as I can before I start to stay competitive. I'm am a complete Newbie (20 years old) ��

Post Thanks / Like

this will work to.take all 3 and single mate as said above.tis will give u 3 familys.when u have the 3 familys take an make a cross of all 3 over each other now u have 4 familys take the 4th family an breed back in to the other 3 an u can keep this going an make as many as u want with very lil inbreding.the 4th family maybe the best of the lot.also i would use this 1 the cross bred with.

6. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

keep in mind u must look for all traits of that family and know how to apply each to get what u want.to do the above said breeding.it will not be done in 3-4-5 year stretch.20 years maybe.so if u dont have that kind of time dont do it.a sample of what i am saying.roundheads carry blue.if u breed an do very select breeding some will show blue they will have blue specks some will have blue in wings.some will not look blue but if u look from a distance they will look like they have blue but u get up on them and were did it go.my allens the spangles i raise carry the blue trait.my pap for years breed to the blue side but never got a blue out of them.genetics is a inhairtants u most know to follow.cause if u dont know some of what that familys make up is ur just blowing smoke.its always good to talk to the old cockers to know what fowl should look/act/an fight like.the old school oscar whitehackle strain was solid white with red in back an wings but how many come that way today.folks say they have them but do they really.

8. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you share this info sir. I sent you a PM.

U do have 4 "families" and u don't have to have a buddy to help u in any way. U can maintain all 4 easily u just have to mark them (I use wing bands). I can't type and explain how to do it but I could send u a chart that explains it well. If u ain't patient this isn't for u and u have to pay attention or u could mess everything up by heavily inbreeding and not knowing u are inbreeding. It will take 4+ years but when done u can have 4 families that aren't genetically related enough to matter. I was taught this method and the man that thought me has maintained them for years with great results. I have never done this method with a trio just a pair but its the same concept.

Post Thanks / Like

Something I did and it has worked so far... Get a proven trio single mate the hens a&b, take best stag from a and put ovr best pullet from b. And vise versa. Then take best stag out this and go back to the original hens and best 2 pullets back the original cock. Then start the process again the next season...

11. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes flyer34, Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brettjern, send me the chart if you don't mind thanks, Yfis

Post Thanks / Like

Bump it up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rev-23 View Post
    Something I did and it has worked so far... Get a proven trio single mate the hens a&b, take best stag from a and put ovr best pullet from b. And vise versa. Then take best stag out this and go back to the original hens and best 2 pullets back the original cock. Then start the process again the next season...
    Thanks rev,

IMHO:

Starting with a foundation, from a proven producing trio, is the maximum expression of SELECTION. Most people will never let go of such gems, at any price.

This sort of foundation, will put you, miles ahead from others starting with
    only a speculative knowledge, about their reproductive outcome.

YFIS,

yunke8888

15. Likes Jumpah808 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well there are two types of families of gamefowl. Those that can handle being inbred, and those that can't. If I was starting out with a family with just a trio I'd want to get them from someone who's been successful with them for a long time and pick his brain as to how he keeps the family going. And if we are like minded I'd want to start with a trio consisting of a proven cock, his full sister and maybe as distant a cousin as I could get my hands on. Breed bro/sis and cousin/cousin, next year line breed back to the cock, then take one of the bro/sis inbred stags breed him to both the original hens, and from there you can go all kinds of directions with it. But this is all dependant on starting with a solid family of GAME chickens.

17. Thanks Yunke8888, faya.3mm thanked for this post
    Likes Yunke8888, FIRE-RITE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's dam good info rite there Roberts 44???

Post Thanks / Like

When buying a trio ask the man everything u can think of about them he knows them and u need to know as much about them as u can get him to tell ya....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How should i breed

Quote Originally Posted by vic5.0 View Post
    I would like to get you guys opinion this ... I got a trio of Albany then later another hen . I will be breeding them pure this year . The hens are all different markings but the last hen I got has the same markings as the rooster . I was thinking about line breeding back to the brood cock , but should I even line breed the offspring from the bro-sister mating ? Or use those to infuse to the others .How would ya guys go about this to keep them going , your help is appreciated . Post here or pm . Oh and yes I will ask the breeder also .
    Thanks Victor
    Are you sure they are brother sister? Or are they from the same family?

Post Thanks / Like

Bump it up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rev-23 View Post
    What if hen a&b are sisters?

23. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aguazarca View Post
    What if hen a&b are sisters?
    Even full brothers/sisters will have some genetic differences in their pool.

Post Thanks / Like

I am very interested in a breeding chart.. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Single mate cock to both hens.find out which one is the best hen.this the first rule.by doing this you will know which porduces the best offspring.put this as your price fowl.the other hen and the cock give you 2 more familys.
    Plus the prize fowl.

27. Likes Ron-706, BamaOkie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This gives you 3 familys.now watch your breeding. you may have some that come dark light spangle whatever.single mate to each of them according to what you like.this not opens the door for best bred it also always alot of inter breeding.1 trip can give you as many families as you want if done right.

29. Likes Ron-706 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing you should do before you buy any fowl. you need to do homework and try to find out what they where originally bred.the longer you breed the more of what is in them will come out.for example.my Kearney brownred.they come light and dark.but they will also come spangle.Mike Kearney bred the brownred to he's whitehackle.know the breeding before you think you may what to breed them.you will have better fowl in doing so. what I have put here is for long time breeding.it takes years to breed maintain and produce what you are trying to do.it takes aleast 5 years to start to understand what you really have.dont ask why 5 years just think about it .

31. Thanks BamaOkie thanked for this post
    Likes Ron-706, BamaOkie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the way of breeding and fighting maintaining conditioning and all around why of doing things.if they come 2_ways.In that 2 _ways you will have to learn the best way not only to maintain them. you also have to learn the best conditioning.you can have a family that comes this way an the same keep want work on both.as far as handling.thats the injury's that are common to each side.and how r they when they get older.do they live a long time.do they stay game as they ago. I could write a long list of things you should do.but these are things that you should look for as u buy and bred or fight.keep them crowing gentlemen.

Post Thanks / Like

I read through these posts and will not resay what has already been said on this breeding method. What I will add is this, and I'm not looking to negotiate this. I know some fowl will still produce when older. Now if you keep strict fighting records. You will see your winning percentage start to go down after a cock is four. From 6 to 8 years old . You will see his sons gameness is not as strong. I would change the brood cock to one of sis sons from year 1-4. The one with the best station as well as the best fighting abilities.

The only way to tell if a cock is a good producer. Is to breed his daughters. If the daughters are producing winning stags. So after year one before you keep breeding original cock. Breed his daughters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BostonMurphy View Post
    I read through these posts and will not resay what has already been said on this breeding method. What I will add is this, and I'm not looking to negotiate this. I know some fowl will still produce when older. Now if you keep strict fighting records. You will see your winning percentage start to go down after a cock is four. From 6 to 8 years old . You will see his sons gameness is not as strong. I would change the brood cock to one of sis sons from year 1-4. The one with the best station as well as the best fighting abilities.

The only way to tell if a cock is a good producer. Is to breed his daughters. If the daughters are producing winning stags. So after year one before you keep breeding original cock. Breed his daughters.
    If you as a breeder see any decline in gamness.if he or she is getting older and they are getting sick more often.speaking of colds.Having a harder time each time coming out of the molt an so on.replacing them is a good idea. I want my fowl to game ASAP.an stay that way for as long as they live.if he gos cold after 5 or 6 year's.he is in no way a true game cock.there is a old saying.Till death do us part.not run an live to fight another way.

35. Likes spring creek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as waiting to breed the cock as you say.in the first year we should with a new family.Single mate.get the best out of the bunch.if it were legal fight some of the stags.hold some back for cocks.in doing this stop breeding of the trio after the first mating.why you ask.think on this.they will only a few on each side that has the right stuff. you can breed him you can raise him an just know he is going to do so well in time of battle.an he does nothing is you have hoped.well you liked him so much you have used he's sister as a cross hen.the same thing may happen. I know in stopping the trio after the first breeding sounds crazy.but I would rather know an breed the best of them.