Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: old hens... worth to breed???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: old hens... worth to breed???

im still using 5-7 years hens and they are still producing winners just pair them with young stag and you wont have a problem. the oldest im using now is 9 years im still using her cause she still lays eggs regularly andd the size of the eggs are the same as she use to lay so for me i dont think i wont have a problem using 3-4 years hens

Post Thanks / Like

I have a hen that is 10 years old and she's really a great producer and has produced good offsprings. She's in a brood pen with a young stag. If she's still producing and is healthy i don't see why not to breed.

Post Thanks / Like

Have the older hens received the best of care?Clean water,good feed,on a walk,or large pen with good ground under them?Or have they been in a stale pen,with dirt that is 70% chicken manure,no greens,no vitamins,unclean waterers,etc.?It is all about care.If the hens have received 100% care,take them and use them.If they have not what are the chances you can fix what ails them?Great bloodlines mean nothing without great care!!

4. Likes avalos1991 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The best hen I ever had produced stags for 2-3 seasons that were just amazing. I continued to JUST breed her for another 5 seasons. I assumed she would always be that GOLDEN hen. I started noticing the winning percentage going down. I assumed that it was just the competition getting better but it was a combination of that and my hen declining. By the time I figured this out it was too late to try and use her best daughters to replace her. You see her best daughters were probably produced that first 2-3 seasons and I had no interest of breeding anything other then that GOLDEN HEN. So at the 6-7th season I started breeding her daughters. They through good offspring but nothing like the mother did that first few seasons. It was now to late. You see the competition improves with every season and if you aren't improving with them you can be left behind scratching your head wondering what went wrong. Next thing you know your looking for NEW fowl. So while breeding your golden hen keep daughters and be breeding them at the same time so you can continue improving your bloodlines.

6. Likes FIRE-RITE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samiyam007 View Post
    Have the older hens received the best of care?Clean water,good feed,on a walk,or large pen with good ground under them?Or have they been in a stale pen,with dirt that is 70% chicken manure,no greens,no vitamins,unclean waterers,etc.?It is all about care.If the hens have received 100% care,take them and use them.If they have not what are the chances you can fix what ails them?Great bloodlines mean nothing without great care!!
    Agree with you 110% nothing is more important than care since day 1 til death.. I have an old friend that has a cecil davis kelso line and has kept producing really nice fowl and his original trio is about 12 years old... he tells me breed the yung ones to the older ones and well he's proof it works. Also his farm is clean and his fowl receive the best care he can provide.. hope this helps..

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys why would u stop breeding a hen that has produce ace's!!! When i find these hens that produce winners, They will stay with me and will die in my yard till the day that they no longer lay eggs. that's the main reason we single mate to find those ACE producing hens, so why only breed them for 2 or 3 yrs that does not make sense to me, to each is own but that's not the way i do it ....do you think top breeders got rid of their ACE hens after a 2 to 3 yrs of breeding??????????????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joedirt grey 23 View Post
    Hey guys why would u stop breeding a hen that has produce ace's!!! When i find these hens that produce winners, They will stay with me and will die in my yard till the day that they no longer lay eggs. that's the main reason we single mate to find those ACE producing hens, so why only breed them for 2 or 3 yrs that does not make sense to me, to each is own but that's not the way i do it ....do you think top breeders got rid of their ACE hens after a 2 to 3 yrs of breeding??????????????

That was my point also ... I totally agree with you and we probably breed very much alike , so I guess like me you are very confused by some of these posts ... So I went back and read through the posts ... I think the big difference is mass production for the large quantity needed for the Philippines , notice they discard thirty or more breeding stock . I don't even breed that many hens in a season ...Not putting
    anybody down just pointing out the difference .
    YFIS EDDIE

Post Thanks / Like

if there still given ya what you want out of them why wouldnt you? makes no sense not to ! I have been gifted some old hens hell ones even about blind, only gives about 1 clutch a year and there great !

Post Thanks / Like

Still good at any age. I had a hen just died this past year she was 11 years old. Her babies are still just as good as when i first breed her if not better. She was the best producing winning offsping i ever had.

12. Likes Al Sanchez, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

8 year old leiper hen she hatch out about 10 chicks this year I also still got her mom that is 10 but she is setting right now last year the 10 year old hen only hatched out 3 chicks but anything I get from the OG hen is like gold.

14. Likes Al Sanchez, CA whitetoppy06, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When you find that golden hen I would get every egg I could from her until she will no longer lay or the eggs will no longer hatch. I've had several 10 yo hens that would still have good offspring, maybe not many but a few are better than an unknown. Another reason I like breeding mature pullets as you know a year earlier what ya got.

16. Thanks Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Likes CA whitetoppy06, Al Sanchez, MONGOOSE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

breeding is hit or miss and i bet most of us have already noticed what may work for one breeder may not work for the other. so i believe if it aint broke dont fix it old hens carry their dna til they die so breed s long as they throw quality and healthy cutting birds just my opinion old hens have they place and remember they have proven their worth thats why they got to that age

18. Thanks Al Sanchez thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i breed my good hens until they no longer produce. at that point in time they may be cycled out but the few i get are more than worth it

20. Likes tonetone559, Al Sanchez, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My cousin was gifted a blue hen. Don't know how old but the man that have him the hen said that whatever you put onnthat hen would be aces but the thing is she only lays about 5 or 6 eggs per season. To make it worse this season she started to eat the eggs