Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BINGHAM REDS

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BINGHAM REDS

Yes it was Bigham reds, not Bingham. I believe the roosters I had were those of the Sam Bigham reds. Wasn't Roy Bingham called String King? Hey Kawika which guys fowl are you trying to inquire about, because both of them carried red fowl. If its the Sam Bigham reds then I think I have an old picture of them, i'll go and find it. As for Roy Bingham can't help you there.

2. Thanks bstewart thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Everett View Post
    Roy was a likeable man, but to tell the truth he was a terrible drunk, Roy was very intelligent and a good salesman, He worked for Bell helicopter, but he never was in Sam's league, no hard feelings, but it's the truth. Sam fought the big circuit, along with Kelso and Madigin. Roy had Shotgun Kelso he was proud of. The dark red pearl leg are most likely from Sam B-I-G-H-A-M. He got some of fowl direct from Madigin, and developed his own family. Mainly Claret, Butcher, and Roundhead.
    This was not an easy bloodline to acquire, which were almost the perfect breed to cross on Hatch and dark fowl for the slasher.

4. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes... form my Knowledge Roy started the name Shotgun Kelso's. My dad still raises that blood line today. I think there the old Duke Hulsey Kelso's with just a name change. Someone can confirm that if not...im not sure what he bred them up from. Either way if you can get the good ones there darn good Kelso's.

Post Thanks / Like

Bigham was the right spelling with Sam....
    I might have old VHS fights my dad fought in the early 80's in BIG events at that time using the Bigham Reds that he got and bred.... I try to convert it and Link it here.
    These birds were fought versus the Jumpers (james chiongbian) the hulsey birds, etc etc. In the 80's believe it or not Cebu had the BIGGEST Purse the P.I offered. Capricorn days... They were giving away 6.5 Million at that time.

7. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

well my buddy has some of the old ones that came directly from sam bingham over 18 yrs ago still the same today they are a blend of claret and butcher they come straight comb pearl legs wine red in color

Post Thanks / Like

ANY PICTURES?.....................

Post Thanks / Like

I have and old gamecock mag. with a picture of ROY BINGHAM,RAY PRICE,AND THE REV.DAWSON SETTING AROUND AN OLD PIT SHOOTIN THE BULL.

11. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kawika,
    Here's a Sam Bigham YL. They come both WL and YL... I only have a few of these... If anyone in the U.S still has maintained this line. Let me know... These are so inbred and are hard to raise already... One of the cuttingest fowls ive ever seen.

Best,
    Victor
    Last edited by victor; August 17th, 2011 at 09:32 PM.

13. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

HERE IS A PICTURE OF THE CHICKEN

Post Thanks / Like

i HAVE PICTURES OF WHITE LEGGED BINGHAM REDS CAN ANYBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW TO POST THE PICTURES

Post Thanks / Like

It seems i may be raising bigham blood...and did not know it. I have a line of Clarets that is unknown what they are. The gentlemen i got the blood from was a old friend. His health got bad, eye sight was shot and his memory just we away. He passed last year, but we maintain several of his blood lines. This particular line he remember getting from the Austin area...just not who he got them form or what kind they were.

Now after talking too several people its bleived that these were Bigham's...and i have all the blood that is left from them. Now this makes sence as when i first started he had this line. One of my first brood cock was a Bigham Miner from him. Its thought he got these sometime in the 80s

Now the line i have now seems to be Yellow legged and straight comb dark wine read...looks like a claret. Now remembering back seems like this line at one time also threw white legged and some pea combs...cant be certain on that as those could have been crosses too.

Someone may be able to recall, if someone bred these in the Austin area in the 80s.

17. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Follow this link and scroll down. Many years ago the is man had a website in which he discussed his feeding method and went into details about the breeding of the Bigham Reds. I corresponded with him at that time and regretfully never did again. It is good to know the history about fowl straight from the source.

Nutrition, Health, And Gameness
    By Mike Hancock

http://shortheelfighting.blogspot.co...0_archive.html

19. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Everett View Post
    Roy was a likeable man, but to tell the truth he was a terrible drunk, Roy was very intelligent and a good salesman, He worked for Bell helicopter, but he never was in Sam's league, no hard feelings, but it's the truth. Sam fought the big circuit, along with Kelso and Madigin. Roy had Shotgun Kelso he was proud of. The dark red pearl leg are most likely from Sam B-I-G-H-A-M. He got some of fowl direct from Madigin, and developed his own family. Mainly Claret, Butcher, and Roundhead.
    I got my hands on some of that shotgun blood from Roy from a Hawaiin friend Kim. In the day he used em at some pretty hard grounds with really good results, I have not consentrated on them and let a friend take over the trio, the cock was proven, and what few sons I have seen are just like the cock and wish I would have hung on to them boogers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OldAl View Post
    I thought Roy had the shotgun Kelso,but was not sure.I do remember he had a few breeds seems like they were the older lines.
    Roy visited HI, but I never had the opportunity to meet him personally. He was very honest about his fowl, sold useful products to subsidize his passion for gamefowl.

Post Thanks / Like

My father bred the Sam Bigham reds. I always heard they were Madigan's Claret, RH, and butcher. Ours looked a lot like dads butchers. A little taller and finer. Very smart and crossed well with his clarets, butchers and Hulseys. I corresponded with Roy Bingham some. I always liked him and enjoyed his stories. He made hunting knives. I ordered two from him. One for my dad and one for my brother. He. Sent me three. Said it wouldn't be right if we got in a knife fight and I. Didn't have one.

23. Likes Sig1911, spring creek, BamaOkie, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of the best Sam Bigham blood i seen fought through the years was by Odell Craft & his son Ronnie. They also had good Grey blood. They won a lot of derbies for a lot of years.

25. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Boy if 1 thread confused the Hell outta me ,right Here it Twis ,but its been a good History Lesson.

Post Thanks / Like

The Crafts had the best Bighams that I have ever seen. Those were Mr. Odell's pride and joy. A lot of times if you hurt one of them that was when they went to a whole nother level of gamecock. I saw Odell win a 5 cock with a show of them at Cypress Creek and the youngest of the show was a 4 year old, he told me he fought many 6 and 7 year olds through the years. All of the Crafts bloodlines were special. They had the Bighams, Sheltons, and the Bumblefoots. They also had some black blood that very few folks were aware of, the Fardown that they only used for crossing. I never saw them fight the first black rooster, but Odell told me he used it a very small amounts for cut. The Crafts were always tuff, other than them going through a hard spot in the early 90s they were usually the favorite. 100 percent gaff men.

28. Likes spring creek, LaBlue, BamaOkie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arkla2 View Post
    The Crafts had the best Bighams that I have ever seen. Those were Mr. Odell's pride and joy. A lot of times if you hurt one of them that was when they went to a whole nother level of gamecock. I saw Odell win a 5 cock with a show of them at Cypress Creek and the youngest of the show was a 4 year old, he told me he fought many 6 and 7 year olds through the years. All of the Crafts bloodlines were special. They had the Bighams, Sheltons, and the Bumblefoots. They also had some black blood that very few folks were aware of, the Fardown that they only used for crossing. I never saw them fight the first black rooster, but Odell told me he used it a very small amounts for cut. The Crafts were always tuff, other than them going through a hard spot in the early 90s they were usually the favorite. 100 percent gaff men.
    I was handling one of dads butcher/bighams one day and Odell said "Del let me look at that cock." I took him over to Odell and he said that cock better not be marked out side left. It was funny because. He was marked out left. He said you stole that cock didn't you. I just laughed and said no! I have four brothers to him in the cock house all are marked out left. They were peas in a pod. Fought like it and won the derby easily that. Day. They looked just like Odell's bighams.

30. Likes BamaOkie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    I was handling one of dads butcher/bighams one day and Odell said "Del let me look at that cock." I took him over to Odell and he said that cock better not be marked out side left. It was funny because. He was marked out left. He said you stole that cock didn't you. I just laughed and said no! I have four brothers to him in the cock house all are marked out left. They were peas in a pod. Fought like it and won the derby easily that. Day. They looked just like Odell's bighams.
    Mr. Dale I know you have your mugs and your hatch but did you keep any of your father's old bloodlines sounds like he always done good with them. Hope I'm not bothering you it's the second question I've asked you in the last little while LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

When dad died I kept the butchers and kelsos for a couple years. I just couldn't do them justice as my main concern was my mugs.