Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Ratliff Generals

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Ratliff Generals

Does anyone on this site own Generals or other bloodlines direct from Mr. Mike Ratliff, and what do you think about them? Has anyone seen them in action?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mike Ratliff Generals

I almost had a trio of them but a man from Maryland is buying him out. Ill have to wait till next year. They look real nice medium to medium high station. They come yellow or white legged. He used to have some that came spangled. Mike says them generals put him on top of the world.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the foundation of this blood ?

Post Thanks / Like

not sure if same line as Mtn VIEW coronel general hatches but if so they are good his come spangled as well sometimes . we bought quite a few over the years and they are them most dementional hatches I have seen?

Post Thanks / Like

are they also called the Little Generals?...i have heard of them but don't know what blodlines made them

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure them generals were loaded up with some good Whitehackle blood,maybe straight WH's but they had there day that's for sure. YFIS

Post Thanks / Like

In 2006 I attended Mike's school in Blanket, Texas. That same year I acquired the bloodline from Mike, direct. The base bloodline came from Speck "The Bullrider" Mclaughlin in 1959. The bloodline is a blend of three Whitehackle families-Lowman, Striker, and Morgan. He won 59 derby's in 7 season's with these crosses. The generals brought many great traits to my Radio bloodline. Very game, deep cutters, not very fancy fighters but have mantained a good record. The come pearl legged and yellow legged medium station with a broad back. They are yellow/golden in color with white on the top of the tail. Impressive to see!

Post Thanks / Like

Where's the pic's??? I've heard of Mike's Lil Generals for decades & if I ever saw one, I didn't know what it was....

Post Thanks / Like

The generals where made from a Phil Marsh whitehackle and two E. H. Hulsey hens. The Phil whitehackle was made of three whitehackles, Lowman, Striker, and Gleeson.

That rooster was known to have killed 4x and everytime was in the first flight in the air. The rooster would then land and crow as he watched his opponents die.

Slip, I have a few pics on my phone that I can email you if you would like.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a double barrel ace cock, i like the crowing after he lands while he watches his opponet die that is true beast mode...i haven't seen one either but they sound really good

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slipspur View Post
    Where's the pic's??? I've heard of Mike's Lil Generals for decades & if I ever saw one, I didn't know what it was....
    Slip,I would like to post pic's but I don't have none. Mike's are not Little Generals, they are Generals. His original Generals originated from a brother-sister mating. The original stag came from Spec McLaughlin, that Spec fought against Mike at the pit in Jal,New Mexico in 1958 or 1959 at a stag derby.After the fight Spec asked Mike if he wanted the stag, so Mike told Spec only he would give Mike,the stag's full sister.So later in the season Spec brought Mike the pullet.Mike didn't breed the pair until they were 3 years old,but he did breed the stag to 4 of his hens that he had that were Bell Roundheads and maybe something else, he raised 8 stags from these matings and fought them, he won 47 fights straight before he lost one of these crosses, so thats when he decided to breed the original stag and pullet together and set as a family.He would only sell crosses of the Generals until 1993 or 1994 thats when he started selling the pure Generals.Thats why you would only hear General crosses mentioned for sell.Mike told me this same story several times, when I would ask him how he got his start with the Generals. They do contain Pihl Marsh Whitehackle and E.H. Hulsey blood from Henry Wortham.

Post Thanks / Like

Tell you another story about them Generals.I went to Mike's school in July of 1984,with Mike's nephew that lived here in Texas,we drove twelve hundred miles to Mike's place in Menlo Ga. To attend the school also my brother went with us.We drove up there in a l little Ford Courier pickup truck,which is a mini truck.Mike's nephew is 6ft.5ins.tall, about 180 lbs my brother is 6ft.2ins. tall,about 180 lbs.and I'm about 5ft.10ins.tall, about 275 lbs, talking about a tight fit like sardines packed in a can.Anyways two of us would ride in front in cab one outside unless it started raining.Okay after two week school Mike gave his Nephew two broodcocks,one was a pure seventeen year old General and a sixteen year old pure Bell Rhoundhead.They rode in the air-conditioned pickup while rode in the back of the truck all the way from Menlo, Ga. to Grandfalls, Tx. Over twelve hundred miles in the hot July sun.thats why I hate them damn Generals.lol. hahaha.

Post Thanks / Like

I meant to say that I rode in back of pickup because I was the fattest of the three.

Post Thanks / Like

These are the Generals I got from John Newton. These have been the most consistent fowl I have ever been around. These are general crosses set as a family. John went to Ratliffs school in the 70's or 80's dont remember. But these can hang with any family.

Post Thanks / Like

that hen looks like General x Bell Roundhead cross

Post Thanks / Like

Bearclaw, do you get willow green colored legged pullets from that mating?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by De La O View Post
    that hen looks like General x Bell Roundhead cross
    The hen looks to have Red Quill in her... Everett Bell told me the Rh's were 1/4 Atkinson Asil, 1/4 Cripple Tony Rh, 1/4 Red Horse & 1/4 RED QUILL... so ya could be right De La O

Post Thanks / Like

When Newton got these he got a general cock and some general crossed hens from Ratliff. He showed them and showed them...and then showed some more. He took the best cocks and crossed them with hens that the brothers had been winners and made his own Generals per say. I speculate they have red quill in them. The cocks and hens have green/yellow legs and we even get a few white ones with black eyes and legs. I dont know whats in them and It wouldnt matter to me. They have been good to us. Maybe, you can shine some light on that subject bud.

Post Thanks / Like

ACtually that hen looks similar to some Blueface hens Ive seen. Ive never seen a general tat dark orange colored. Most looked like Whitehackles too me. Ive been to mikes place many times before he moved back to Texas. I too went to his school and saw some of the prettiest General Crosses. The one's that really crossed my eye were the ones that he had crossed with Hancock Blues. I even took pictures of them. No, I didnt buy any but got some hens from a friend who had the General/Blue crosses. Now one thing about the generals, In an ad years ago by Spec MacLauglin, the Generals (waltons) would throw green legs on occassion. But Mike bred a brother/sister mating and then line bred them to make them dominate all thier crosses. Henry Wortham never knew the hen the original General cock came from.. He was out of a McClanahan cock that was on a walk over several differenet hens of Mr. Hulseys'. But he was bred too some Good Kind Hulsey Hens and then line bred to produce the Little General. But Henry Wortham never had a family of fowl called Generals or Little Generals. Tom Spurrier wrote and article in the Gamecock many years ago and did a bang up job of explaining the Generals and the Little General cock! He even told how they were made and how eventually Spec wound up with them in the long run. Its a very interesting article and if you get a chance to read it and follow it you'll see where the Generals came from and where they originated. And it was written while many involved in the making of the So-called General familes..
    Last edited by irishcutt; February 20th, 2011 at 06:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by De La O View Post
    Tell you another story about them Generals.I went to Mike's school in July of 1984,with Mike's nephew that lived here in Texas,we drove twelve hundred miles to Mike's place in Menlo Ga. To attend the school also my brother went with us.We drove up there in a l little Ford Courier pickup truck,which is a mini truck.Mike's nephew is 6ft.5ins.tall, about 180 lbs my brother is 6ft.2ins. tall,about 180 lbs.and I'm about 5ft.10ins.tall, about 275 lbs, talking about a tight fit like sardines packed in a can.Anyways two of us would ride in front in cab one outside unless it started raining.Okay after two week school Mike gave his Nephew two broodcocks,one was a pure seventeen year old General and a sixteen year old pure Bell Rhoundhead.They rode in the air-conditioned pickup while rode in the back of the truck all the way from Menlo, Ga. to Grandfalls, Tx. Over twelve hundred miles in the hot July sun.thats why I hate them damn Generals.lol. hahaha.
    that's a great story De La O

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irishcutt View Post
    ACtually that hen looks similar to some Blueface hens Ive seen. Ive never seen a general tat dark orange colored. Most looked like Whitehackles too me. Ive been to mikes place many times before he moved back to Texas. I too went to his school and saw some of the prettiest General Crosses. The one's that really crossed my eye were the ones that he had crossed with Hancock Blues. I even took pictures of them. No, I didnt buy any but got some hens from a friend who had the General/Blue crosses. Now one thing about the generals, In an ad years ago by Spec MacLauglin, the Generals (waltons) would throw green legs on occassion. But Mike bred a brother/sister mating and then line bred them to make them dominate all thier crosses. Henry Wortham never knew the hen the original General cock came from.. He was out of a McClanahan cock that was on a walk over several differenet hens of Mr. Hulseys'. But he was bred too some Good Kind Hulsey Hens and then line bred to produce the Little General. But Henry Wortham never had a family of fowl called Generals or Little Generals. Tom Spurrier wrote and article in the Gamecock many years ago and did a bang up job of explaining the Generals and the Little General cock! He even told how they were made and how eventually Spec wound up with them in the long run. Its a very interesting article and if you get a chance to read it and follow it you'll see where the Generals came from and where they originated. And it was written while many involved in the making of the So-called General familes..

Post Thanks / Like

Butch, February 1983 Grit & Steel cover photo,Mike Ratliff pure General featured on cover maybe you'll remember seeing cocks on Mike's farm looking like him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irishcutt View Post

In "The Gamecock" December of 2004 page (58-61) you can find the article by Tom Spurrier wrote about the Generals. The article is called "Tall Tales From Texas" May of '77

Post Thanks / Like

Butch, them General x Hancock Blues were truly beautiful cocks with their lemon hackles, and them long tail feathers. Did Mike still have the white General x Walton crosses when you went to his school? He surely thought highly of them,he told us that he was going to make a wheelbarrow load of money on them because people would bet high against them and he was going to whip them with his white roosters.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw some of his grey x Hancock blue x general crosses and they were beautiful ..

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the breeding of the first General/cross trio that i got from Mike on March 1984;(cock) 1/2 E.H. Hulsey x 1/2 Geronimo (blue hen) 3/4 General x 1/4 Hawii Blue(Miner Blue).(red hen) 1/2 Bell Roundhead x 1/2 Boston Roundhead.Good offsprings but some were to big for derby weights at Legion Club at Jal.,New Mexico. Some were blues, some reds and some were pumkin colored; Some str8 combed and some peacombed;yellow and white legged, but they all had one thing in common they could really cut in the gaffs. They also had great bodies.
    Last edited by De La O; February 20th, 2011 at 01:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Those General/Hancock Blues won a major derby in Oklahoma for Pat Canfield. She was a cowgirl that went thru Driskells school and then Mikes'. I also saw some Grey and Hancock Blues at Mikes..He told me that he saw a guy from Ohio fight some Law Grey and Blues crossed and they were the sensation of the derby that weekend. Mike told me then that he never overlooked outstanding fowl and decided to get some of them or make his own. LOL.. While I was at his place one time I asked him how come he dint have any hatch on his place. He told me that "I aint raising nothing Ive killed a freight train load of"! Then a couple of years later I was there and were sipping a cold one, he showed my some general crosses that had 1/4 bates hatch in them. So even professors can change thier minds.

Post Thanks / Like

Bearclaw, my pure Pumpkins look EXACTLY like that pair you have posted. The rooster was out of a line Mike called "Geronimo" I tols Mike that I acquired the rooster from a man by the last name of Cantu from New Mexico and Mike recalled having let him have it. I got the rooster from Cantu after they had fought the rooster two times after Mike had fought him once. They didn't want him because he was too mean. I got the rooster and bread him over a pair of Pure Pumpkins and got some sharp offspring. The hens come willow green legged and stags usually come yellow legged. That sure is a nice pair you have posted up there. My Generals look more lemon to mediun red. I'll try to post some pic's here shortly.

Post Thanks / Like

bearclaw,did John Newton get his General crosses from Mike before or after Mike moved from Menlo,Ga. to Texas? Do you ever get any that come pale faced, straight-combed? like if they had lost their red pigment in their skin?

Post Thanks / Like

He got them early 70 s and he said he only got one the whole time he's had them to come this way