Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Famous breeders

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Famous breeders

bobby jo manziel and the windwalker johnny,this entry won as many majors as anybody

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody saved a picture of Mr. Sam Yurk? Please repost. The picture is no longer in the link at ultimatefowl.com/wiki

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I would post how Marion Rose came up with the crooked breast fowl and the double rights,He got fowl from J D Perry which Marion called Mclean,then he got fowl from William Mcrae which were Blueface,the double rights were one half Blueface and one half Perry,he won every 6 cock derby at the Big Blue for 2 years in a row,they had 3 derbies a year back then that were 6 cocks,he done this with 7 cocks,he had 9 but killed the 2 that came straight comb even though they were brothers to the peacomb he did not like them,they did not spar as good,Marion bred peacomb to straight comb fowl for battle cocks.after he got through fighting them he gave one cock to Joe Cantrell and 1,or 2 cocks to Louie Bunting I can not remember if he gave him 1 or 2 Louie was like a son to Marion ,.Now the crooked breast,Joe Cantrell bred these fowl for Marion,Marion gave him the brood fowl to do this,Louie met Joe at the old J and M pit,and picked these up Joe had them in feed sacks,they were five eights Blueface and three eights Perry which Marion called Mcleans,Louie ask Marion how come he called them Hatch, Democracts and Marion laughed and said Mcrae needs the money.the crooked breast were 5 eights Blueface and 3 eights Perry all these cocks won 4 to five fights a piece after fighting them Louie got one Joe got one and a man from ohio got one we can not remember his name,that cock was supposed to be Don Wandlings,but Marion died,and Bonnie sold it to the man from ohio for 1000 dollars ,.We fought a double right bred cock at Black Berry,Louie bred him with the fowl Marion gave him we had 3 entries that night and we were in the money already with one entry ,and Dale Cantrell was fighting there that night ,and he was fighting yellow leg fowl that looked like peas in a pod and he had them right that night,he did not go many pittings with none of them,he ask Louie did we have any more cocks to fight and Louie told him no but he did not mean to lie he just made a mistake he forgot we had three entries that night ,Joe Z was with Dale so he matched us I was handling this show this night Dale did not know me so when they called our entries out Me and Him picked up the slips he made me a pretty good side bet,so he did us the same way he done every one else that night he coupled us in about 2 pittings it went on for several more pittings,when I would turn him loose he would try to get up,and Dales would catch us them double rights was very aggressive,when I tried to put him down between pitting to try to get his legs back he would try to hit me he was the type that would whip a cock or the handler,so after about 7 pittings maybe more it popped in my mind to hold him and turn him loose slowley Dales were very aggressive also,So Dales came flying over and I pitted mine when he got about to us and that double right through one of those shuffles that they were known for and hung both heels in Dale even coupled,and killed Dales stoned dead,he got mad and through his cock over the pit into the crowd,sometimes after Dale told Louie he did not get made because of the fight it was because,Louie told him we did not have any more to fight,.And Marion also took these cocks to copper state and won day money with them,
    Last edited by Logan co entry; October 28th, 2012 at 01:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logan co entry View Post
    I thought I would post how Marion Rose came up with the crooked breast fowl and the double rights,He got fowl from J D Perry which Marion called Mclean,then he got fowl from William Mcrae which were Blueface,the double rights were one half Blueface and one half Perry,he won every 6 cock derby at the Big Blue for 2 years in a row,they had 3 derbies a year back then,he done this with 7 cocks,he had 9 but killed the 2 that came straight comb even though they were brothers to the peacomb he did not like them,they did not spar as good,Marion bred peacomb to straight comb fowl for battle cocks.after he got through fighting them he gave one cock to Joe Cantrell and 1,or 2 cocks to Louie Bunting I can not remember if he gave him 1 or 2 Louie was like a son to Marion ,.Now the crooked breast,Joe Cantrell bred these fowl for Marion,Marion gave him the brood fowl to do this,Louie met Joe at the old J and M pit,and picked these up Joe had them in feed sacks,they were five eights Blueface and three eights Perry which Marion called Mcleans,Louie ask Marion how come he called them Hatch, Democracts and Marion laughed and said Mcrae needs the money.the crooked breast were 5 eights Blueface and 3 eights Perry all these cocks won 4 to five fights a piece after fighting them Louie got one Joe got one and a man from ohio got one we can not remember his name,that cock was supposed to be Don Wandlings,but Marion died,and Bonnie sold it to the man from ohio for 1000 dollars ,.We fought a double right bred cock at Black Berry,Louie bred him with the fowl Marion gave him we had 3 entries that night and we were in the money already with one entry ,and Dale Cantrell was fighting there that night ,and he was fighting yellow leg fowl that looked like peas in a pod and he had them right that night,he did not go many pittings with none of them,he ask Louie did we have any more cocks to fight and Louie told him no but he did not mean to lie he just made a mistake he forgot we had three entries that night ,Joe Z was with Dale so he matched us I was handling this show this night Dale did not know me so when they called our entries out Me and Him picked up the slips he made me a pretty good side bet,so he did us the same way he done every one else that night he coupled us in about 2 pittings it went on for several more pittings,when I would turn him loose he would try to get up,and Dales would catch us them double rights was very aggressive,when I tried to put him down between pitting to try to get his legs back he would try to hit me he was the type that would whip a cock or the handler,so after about 7 pittings maybe more it popped in my mind to hold him and turn him loose slowley Dales were very aggressive also,So Dales came flying over and I pitted mine when he got about to us and that double right through one of those shuffles that they were known for and hung both heels in Dale even coupled,and killed Dales stoned dead,he got mad and through his cock over the pit into the crowd,sometimes after Dale told Louie he did not get made because of the fight it was because,Louie told him we did not have any more to fight,.And Marion also took these cocks to copper state and won day money with them,
    Thanks for the info. Cool to hear stories like that. I don't want to mislead this thread,but where did Mr McRae get his Blue face? Thanks. YFIS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE-RITE View Post
    Thanks for the info. Cool to hear stories like that. I don't want to mislead this thread,but where did Mr McRae get his Blue face? Thanks. YFIS
    I do not know were W Mcrae got them from

Post Thanks / Like

Grit and Steel magazine photo of Heinie Mathesiis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redbreeder View Post

Bill Baumgardner and Mamie Lascon
    I recognize that hill carried water up and down it enough times thats an oldie before bill built his brrodpens and flypens

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redbreeder View Post

What remains of the Blueface blood
    wanted to get a side by side comparason the blood hasnt changed much

Post Thanks / Like

i could sit and read these old stories all day the old pits anderson branch mcdowell red bush blackberry etc.we use to go to an old barn at the mouth of a hollow called stinkin branch owned by curtis pinson that was the first time i ever met orie hunt and saw them sids of his they changed what i thought about black fowl in a matter of minutes.good people and good times.
    Last edited by blades61; November 4th, 2012 at 12:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chad123 View Post
    wanted to get a side by side comparason the blood hasnt changed much
    I was able to breed some nice stags of the Blieface this year, so I still have some of the old blood. I bred some nice ones out of a cock I got from Bart M. and some real nice pullets......this blood crosses real well with the Butcher fowl I have, I like them anyway....

Post Thanks / Like

does anyone know of Colonel Hightower and where that blood can be found?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that story Logan co.i enjoyed that verry much.I remimber watching some great roostermen at big blue,some of the tuffest cokcs ive ever seen were fought there and yours was some of them,hoggie,saw mill,cantrels,logan county.just to name a few,might have not been famous but they dont get any better,and from what i hear a lot of the famous people in the pictures in the winners circle was just standing in the photos but not the winners lol P.s. a friend of mine here realy enjoyed it also.could you put a few more on here?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks sids for mentioning mr mckeldrey,i loved his percy flowers blueface,wish i still had them and marion rose blood,pm me if you or logan co. knows who has the good marion rose blood left. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Any picture of Mr. Carl Davis? Mentioned in this article by Mr. James "Mac" White (February 1991 "Genetic Breeding, Pit or Paper?".
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Im still looking for the black & white photo shown here, I had it saved to my old computer but have not been able to find a copy online to save to my collection.
    If anybody has a copy they could email me or website I would greatly appreciate it....

Post Thanks / Like

Now this is the neatest thread yet...awesome seeing all the old pics of great rooster men of the USA...wonder what they would think & do if they were still here with the laws that we have now in the greatest country in the world....
    Last edited by rick grivetti; January 4th, 2013 at 09:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    i would like to mention mr. john arron mckeldrey, he got leapiers, paleface blueface, and his finley grays from percy flowers and they were winning when he passed at the age of 71, he was a great breeder in my book, also teddy stumbo, and archie kenny all gone but not forgotten, all three of these guys were good breeders and all were gentelmen, they had good fowl and you never seen them changing broodfowl every two or three years, like most of the cock fighters i no who do.cockers who change fowl all the time are not breeders in my book, i think if you got good fowl then work with them and keep them, if you need help there are plenty of good honest cockers who are willing to help, if you will just ask.
    my mind is not what it use to be, i forgot to mention MR. ORIE HUNT who is the man i got my sids from, he had them from 19-45 until he passed, orie was a great breeder in my book.

Post Thanks / Like

Up Up Up Cool Thread Here....................

Post Thanks / Like

I think you might find some of the pictures here.

Post Thanks / Like

mike chambers is a famous breeder. for his greys. he breeds tough greys . all around performers.outstanding greys.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Famous breeders

Lonnie Harper, Rob Mullins and Tom Hargus also breeds tough Greys if I may add to the list of Great Breeders!

Post Thanks / Like

i have seen personally dee cox,sammy ramsey,oscar akins, wards of showtime fame, roy odum(pumpkin valley), jeff harris, jeff huspith, james sylvester, pete williowbe,chris prater to name a few......... there are nobodys in these hills that showed as good or better fowl than they did...

Post Thanks / Like

Any photo of Mel Simms? Thought I've seen a photo in the Gamecock magazine but cannot find it.

Post Thanks / Like

Really neat thread! Does anyone have any photos of Campbell, the originator of the Blue Boones? Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Bakbakan host Mr. Pit Games Manny Berbano with Jeff Hudspeth of DEER CREEK entry.

Post Thanks / Like

Camarines--That picture was from a long time ago because I still had hair then!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Brown View Post
    Camarines--That picture was from a long time ago because I still had hair then!!!

Yes, sir. Found the picture from Mr. Nesmith's facebook.