Post Thanks / Like

Re: Famous breeders

Profile pic of sir Boy Diaz on FB.

Post Thanks / Like

Profile pic of sir Eddie Sioson on FB.

Post Thanks / Like

Emoy's Obituary at Ateneo de Manila University.

http://www.ateneo.edu/index.php?p=120&type=2&aid=4449

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Nice to see & learn about the history. Wonder if they ever thought it would turn out like it is now? Do you think any of them would have done anything any different had they known?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a picture of Dan Gray with Andrew Huron

Last edited by Lu!$ M@r+inez; November 4th, 2011 at 03:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Three older cockers that played a big role in my life early on was Cecil Davis,Roy Guyer and Pete Barker. Pete was my mentor helped me to improve my handling skills introduced me to Cecil who I got to handle for both lived in Jackson TNMade many a trip from Millington TN to Jackson.I met Pete at Granville Hestors old place Big Bear 2nd oldest facility in AL by time It finally closed down was the oldest.Roy I lived pretty close to had some really good Albanys used to drink coffee and talk fowl with him he was traveling to Red Arrow back then schedule fell on my working weekends so never got to see him show. Anyone got pictures of them would love to see them Back then I was around alot of cockers that are considered famous I as the old southern saying goes (I was walking in tall cotton) and didnt even know it-LOL-If I had woulda had a bunch of good pictures-Woulda looked like a Whos who of Southern Cocking-Jim
    Last edited by j007; November 6th, 2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I know you can't see the faces but, Man, these guys travel in style!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonio View Post
    I know you can't see the faces but, Man, these guys travel in style!
    Dick Kleberg was a friend of my Grandfathers. I don't know the date but I do know that Kleberg flew or was flown here to New York and bought fowl from my Grandfather. He could not get over how the roads here were curved so much compared to the ones in Texas!

Mark Marsh

Post Thanks / Like

back to the top this is a great thread

Post Thanks / Like

what a great read thanks a lot...... keep coming

Post Thanks / Like

FB picture of Sir Biboy Enriquez

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camarines View Post
    FB picture of Sir Biboy Enriquez

very informative thread. keep them coming!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like there is a trend with the famous breeders from today and yesterday also for tomorrows breeders im sure. I have noticed that most if not all of the so called famous breeders that we know of seem to have a rock star kind of feel in their names. Seems that if you didn't have a cool name or you don't have a cool name that flows, then you probably were not a famous breeder or well known breeder. Examples: Sweater Mcguinnes, Duke Hulsey, Sanford Hatch, Lacy, etc... Just a quick take on a few that came to my mind, you can't honestly say that those are not "cool" "rock star" breeder names.. Right?? Or am i just tripping on this spliff?? So, lets see who could remember those cool named breeders of any era...!!

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is a treasure in the making! A wealth of information and at the same time an inspiration for us. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Richard Bates on Gaffing Lessons fb photo

Post Thanks / Like

I have enjoyed this thread more than any other. The memories just keep on coming.

Charlie Greer

Post Thanks / Like

yep i enjoy this thread also.would anyone have a pic of sonny ware of alabama?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackhatchfarm View Post
    How can you not mention Gary Gilliam and one more who was probably is one of the most famous breeders Hugh Norman.
    I have some Hugh Norman pictures from the magazines, I will scan some and post when I get the time.

Blackhatch you are a very famous breeder too! It would be nice if you could share your picture on this thread

Post Thanks / Like

i have a photo of mr. orie hunt of sid fame i would love to share, can someone tell me how to get the picture on this site.

Post Thanks / Like

Herbert Atkinson

Roy Jones JR

Post Thanks / Like

MCRAE
    William McRae died Sunday , May 24, 1987, at Baptist Medical Center, after an extended illness.
    Mr. McRae was truly a legend in his time. He was not only a great breeder of gamefowl, but a very special friend to his fellowmen in the gamefowl business.
    Survivors: include one sister, Elsie Mohundro of Memphis; four brothers; Otey, Edward, and Alvis McRae, all of Tishomingo and Clarence of Cartersville, Georgia.
    Wiliam McRae and Blondie Rollan bred together from 1954 to 1986. He bred the famous Democrat bloodline of gamefowl which has been fought all over the United States and the Islands with much success. Mr. Rollan named them for Mr. McRae, He picked up the name ‘Democrat” from the Nixon-Kennedy debates. He also bred what he called the dart fowl for the long knife that was famous in Hawaii. The Democrat fowl are still very much in demand because of their fighting abilities.
    He also designed a roosting hut for string walk cocks, which are the best thing I’ve seen anywhere. Several big-time game breeders are using these huts. Mr. McRae also designed a hitch for string walk cocks which is widely used. His many accomplishments are too numerous to list in an article.
    Above all, Mr. McRae was a friend to most everyone he came in contact with. There is nothing he wouldn’t help you with and he never wanted any payment or praise. All of his neighbors really liked and respected him for his kindness, honesty and willingness to be a good neighbor himself. He was always honest and straightforward will all his friends and neighbors.
    Mr. McRae helped me with several projects. He was always there when I needed a friend. I’ll never forget his advice, kind words, and deeds. There is no way I could have repaid him in a lifetime.
    He will be missed and will be thought of for a long, long time. His family can take comfort in knowing he was truly the best he could be in his business and in his personal life.
    By Robert B. Logan, The Gamecock Magazine, July 1987

Last edited by Camarines; June 27th, 2012 at 07:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camarines View Post
    MCRAE
    William McRae died Sunday , May 24, 1987, at Baptist Medical Center, after an extended illness.
    Mr. McRae was truly a legend in his time. He was not only a great breeder of gamefowl, but a very special friend to his fellowmen in the gamefowl business.
    Survivors: include one sister, Elsie Mohundro of Memphis; four brothers; Otey, Edward, and Alvis McRae, all of Tishomingo and Clarence of Cartersville, Georgia.
    Wiliam McRae and Blondie Rollan bred together from 1954 to 1986. He bred the famous Democrat bloodline of gamefowl which has been fought all over the United States and the Islands with much success. Mr. Rollan named them for Mr. McRae, He picked up the name ‘Democrat” from the Nixon-Kennedy debates. He also bred what he called the dart fowl for the long knife that was famous in Hawaii. The Democrat fowl are still very much in demand because of their fighting abilities.
    He also designed a roosting hut for string walk cocks, which are the best thing I’ve seen anywhere. Several big-time game breeders are using these huts. Mr. McRae also designed a hitch for string walk cocks which is widely used. His many accomplishments are too numerous to list in an article.
    Above all, Mr. McRae was a friend to most everyone he came in contact with. There is nothing he wouldn’t help you with and he never wanted any payment or praise. All of his neighbors really liked and respected him for his kindness, honesty and willingness to be a good neighbor himself. He was always honest and straightforward will all his friends and neighbors.
    Mr. McRae helped me with several projects. He was always there when I needed a friend. I’ll never forget his advice, kind words, and deeds. There is no way I could have repaid him in a lifetime.
    He will be missed and will be thought of for a long, long time. His family can take comfort in knowing he was truly the best he could be in his business and in his personal life.
    By Robert B. Logan, The Gamecock Magazine, July 1987

thanks for posting this information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GalloNC View Post

Sammy Ramsey
    This is a great thread. However, lets show the forefathers of this sport (most of whom are mentioned in the thread) some respect. Sammy Ramsey is a successful cocker. He dominated for a few years with feeding (and cheating) and did it with fowl he received from Baumgardner and Baird. However, a breeder- I don't think so!!!!! Read post after post. Who has done well with fowl purchased from him? Not Many!!!!! So, let's not put him in the same league with Kelso, Shy, Jumper, Akins, Batia, Manziel, Bates, Alexander, Gray, or anyone else for that matter. These are the guys that made families of roosters better and made them accessible to the rest of us! Let's use this great thread to pay homage to people that have bettered our sport and the families of fowl that are used with success today!!!!!! Not the one's that cheated and poisoned their way to the top!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdtennessee View Post
    This is a great thread. However, lets show the forefathers of this sport (most of whom are mentioned in the thread) some respect. Sammy Ramsey is a successful cocker. He dominated for a few years with feeding (and cheating) and did it with fowl he received from Baumgardner and Baird. However, a breeder- I don't think so!!!!! Read post after post. Who has done well with fowl purchased from him? Not Many!!!!! So, let's not put him in the same league with Kelso, Shy, Jumper, Akins, Batia, Manziel, Bates, Alexander, Gray, or anyone else for that matter. These are the guys that made families of roosters better and made them accessible to the rest of us! Let's use this great thread to pay homage to people that have bettered our sport and the families of fowl that are used with success today!!!!!! Not the one's that cheated and poisoned their way to the top!
    i got some hatch fowl from sammy and they are very good fowl... cheating.. thats hard to accuse somebody of that without seeing it with your own eyes. tell us how he cheats. i have seen him show many times and seen no signs of poison or flat gaffs like ive heard many people accuse him of.. he has to be a good breeder, he bred and raised and showed his own fowl and back when legal won cocker of year at sunset 3 years in row

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackhatchfarm View Post
    What about Roy Jones Jr?Famous fighter but not a breeder.
    Speak of great breeders and one shows up on thread! I remember seeing some fowl that couldn't be whipped at Mid America and Texoma and they were in your hands Mr. Slavin. Hope all is well with you and you are correct. Roy Jones, Jr. is a great fighter and a good guy, but a famous breeder he is not!

Post Thanks / Like

mr baumgardners partner jacks wife has visited my home o several ocasions at first she never talked much but the last time i talked with her she was telling me about jack and bill staying gone the whole weekend a lot of times bill raised some great fowl