Thread: Who knows about the cajun kelso fowl

Post Thanks / Like

Who knows about the cajun kelso fowl

I got me some kelso from a good friend from TN, they are Cajun Kelso, now they dang good fowl so I don't care what they are, but I am interested in what the cajun kelso is all about, any info out there from my fellow cockers here

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who knows about the cajun kelso fowl

Quote Originally Posted by BlackhammerFarm View Post
    I got me some kelso from a good friend from TN, they are Cajun Kelso, now they dang good fowl so I don't care what they are, but I am interested in what the cajun kelso is all about, any info out there from my fellow cockers here
    Up uP Up

Lets hear from old guys????

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased a stag from Philip Ownby "Mntman" of South Pittsburg TN, the stag is now a cock and made the cut into my brood pen. I don't know if Philip created the cajun kelso line, but the blood is exceptional. High station, long legged, good sized, high flying fowl and game to the core. I would have to say the best line I have owned. The pic does no justice of how beutifull these kelso are

Post Thanks / Like

in 1998 i went to guy whitmire's farm in white pine, tn. and got some lacy fowl. mr whitmire had some kelso fowl that were gilly humphrey. i believe they were cajun kelso.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the posts guys and the info, I here they are heavy in the coon kelso blood.I also got mine from phillip and I will say the same, they made the cut for my yard as well, he talked them up and I talked the doms up so we just said heck, why not swap a pair for a pair LoL, so we did and reckon we are both happy with what we got,
    Here is the pic of the kelso I got from Phillip

Post Thanks / Like

Very Nice Blackhammer, he is prob kin to mine, very good looking Kelso!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellas, I have told Dan all I know about them but I will add it to the board for others to enjoy. I met a good friend in Alabama by the name of Glenn Whisenhunt. His dad was a very wealthy man and was always on the look out for some good birds. He found the Cajun Kelsos in North Carolina....they were bred and maintained by an old man there by the name of Cedric Burton. I have not been able to find anything out about him because he passed away in the 90s and was evidently not a big time cocker.....but he sure had good birds. Mr. Burton told my partner that the original bloodline was white leg, peacomb, and dark red. After years of breeding, he added additional Kelso blood to them....it was yellow leg, peacomb, light neck like the cock in the first picture. I have never tried to breed for feather or leg color...just performance. They will come peacomb/straight comb...yellow leg/white leg, and light/dark....pretty much like any Kelso line. My partner Glenn really did well with them in the 90s winning alot of shows....I saw him win 23 or 24 straight shows with the Kelso blood crossed on Murphys into tuff competition. He sold them all to me in 1998 due to his work and his family. I have both the Cajun Kelsos and the Murphys that he bought from Mr. Burton and I have just tried to maintain them. I wish I could say I originated them, but I can't. The only thing I have added to the Kelsos is some Robbie White Kelso.....and that is just a small side of the family. 80% of what I have is the original blood that I got in 1998.

8. Thanks Raisincity thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the Info Philip, They are great fowl, well deserving of breeding. Mine is an ace. Thx alot for passing this blood out!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and by the way....the Blackhammer Doms are exceptional as well. They are a solid bloodline that will have a home here as long as I raise gamefowl. Good Doms are hard to find and these have all the qualities I have looked for for years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman View Post
    Thanks fellas, I have told Dan all I know about them but I will add it to the board for others to enjoy. I met a good friend in Alabama by the name of Glenn Whisenhunt. His dad was a very wealthy man and was always on the look out for some good birds. He found the Cajun Kelsos in North Carolina....they were bred and maintained by an old man there by the name of Cedric Burton. I have not been able to find anything out about him because he passed away in the 90s and was evidently not a big time cocker.....but he sure had good birds. Mr. Burton told my partner that the original bloodline was white leg, peacomb, and dark red. After years of breeding, he added additional Kelso blood to them....it was yellow leg, peacomb, light neck like the cock in the first picture. I have never tried to breed for feather or leg color...just performance. They will come peacomb/straight comb...yellow leg/white leg, and light/dark....pretty much like any Kelso line. My partner Glenn really did well with them in the 90s winning alot of shows....I saw him win 23 or 24 straight shows with the Kelso blood crossed on Murphys into tuff competition. He sold them all to me in 1998 due to his work and his family. I have both the Cajun Kelsos and the Murphys that he bought from Mr. Burton and I have just tried to maintain them. I wish I could say I originated them, but I can't. The only thing I have added to the Kelsos is some Robbie White Kelso.....and that is just a small side of the family. 80% of what I have is the original blood that I got in 1998.
    Cedric was a regular and a winner at sunset,known mostly for his murphys.

C G

Post Thanks / Like

blackhammer doms

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner 2000 View Post

C G
    Well, that completely makes sense now. I saw my partner win over some big entries in Alabama in the 90s. One fellar from Ky comes to mind that had some really good Hatch/Greys there one day. We were both 3-0 in a 5 cock show...the guy had won impressively all day. That Murphy/Kelso just sucked him up and spit him out. That old boy was tore up and wanted to buy something from my partner....but his begging was falling on deaf ears.

I never got to meet Mr. Burton...if you have any stories or anymore history on these birds, let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

And as you mentioned, the Murphys are extremely good. Back when it was legal, they were tough, game, and hit hard. The only difference to me in them and the Kelsos is speed and power.....that is why they are such a good blend.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a really good kelso.. nice to have one...

Quote Originally Posted by don128 View Post
    I purchased a stag from Philip Ownby "Mntman" of South Pittsburg TN, the stag is now a cock and made the cut into my brood pen. I don't know if Philip created the cajun kelso line, but the blood is exceptional. High station, long legged, good sized, high flying fowl and game to the core. I would have to say the best line I have owned. The pic does no justice of how beutifull these kelso are

Post Thanks / Like

i have a cajun kelso rooster he is a 3 yr, old and has won 3 shows 2 in g, and 1 in sk, and there a hell of a rooster and he looks just like the one in the pitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman View Post
    Well I am glad you posted all this, cause it didn't make it past my short term memmory on the phone LoL, all I know is they dang good birds you doing good job maintianing them, and thanks for sharing your fowl with me friend,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner 2000 View Post

C G
    As phillip said, anyone that can add to the info phillip has already given is much appreciated, so thanks ridgerunner for the input on what you know of Cedric

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to bump this one up to the top....had several cockers contact me back when this was originally posted inquiring on this Kelso blood. If you are still interested in them, just shoot me a pm on the board.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to bump this one up yesterday, but for some reason it did not work. I love these Cajun Kelsos and will have them as long as I breed chickens.

cockfighter_199

Those kelsos look good mtnman.I would like to see more of them

cockfighter_199

It seems a few are wondering more about these birds the makeup does anyone know any more then whats been posted?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cockfighter_199 View Post
    It seems a few are wondering more about these birds the makeup does anyone know any more then whats been posted?
    This is my cajun cock almost 3 year

This is a stag from him now around 10 month

Post Thanks / Like

got sum comin....cant wait thanks mtnman

Post Thanks / Like

my uncle new Mr. Burton back in da days and got some cajun kelso as well they are some nice birds my uncle keep this line and would not sell at all he would not even give me a pair till last year he had to get rid of all his fowls and saddly sold em to me i love these birds i live here in nc as well glad to have them i as wwell mantain bout 80% of the original blood dat my unlce had dats how he had it he just added a touvh of jj super kelso .......mtnman

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to Bump this up, I got some of the Murphy blood off of Phil, as my Poynor Murphys cross really well on with other familys of Murphys. The Chickens Phil sent me were wonderful and I have been interested in his Kelsos ever since we talked on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets bump this up and see if anyone has anything more to say about the Cajuns