Thread: black sumatra

Post Thanks / Like

black sumatra

my Dad has a beautiful sumatra cock that really spares well, but he isn't game. i lived in indonesia for a while and saw them fight roosters very similar to these in the long knife in bali. but i didnt get to see many fights there and never seen one of these blacks cut down as to see if they would stay. are or were any of these Sumatra game?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: black sumatra

At one point in time i think it is safe to say that the Sumatra was a game chicken, but after years of breeding for the show ring, the gameness has been bred out of them. I think if you had enough of the birds and really knew your chit about selection and breeding, you could get a solid gamefowl out of them, but to just buy them from someone who raises them for show, your going to get dunghill's.yfis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnc2309 View Post
    my Dad has a beautiful sumatra cock that really spares well, but he isn't game. i lived in indonesia for a while and saw them fight roosters very similar to these in the long knife in bali. but i didnt get to see many fights there and never seen one of these blacks cut down as to see if they would stay. are or were any of these Sumatra game?
    I have Sumatras crosses that will stand any gamefowl , I added some oriental blood to my sumatras which ones look like the Germany body type.
    they weight close to 8 lbs really fast and strong birds
    The pure Sumatras I have I noticed they were lucking strength and size since most of the pure Sumatras here in the USA weight 5lbs
    there was no way for them to keep the rhythm in a fight against to a gamefowl like hacth,sid tailor etc...
    Last edited by gallo4319; May 31st, 2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Sumatra soup sounds like a good idea to me

Post Thanks / Like

bro have you guys not heard of Rhode Island Reds?They are dead game they came before the roundhead ever even got to the U.S haha jk

Post Thanks / Like

Hell rhode islands reds may not be game but they sure eat what 4 gamecocks eat lol

Post Thanks / Like

If in the past they created gamefowl from a redjunglefowl and so other junglesfowl why you guys see it impossible now?
    Last edited by gallo4319; May 31st, 2011 at 07:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

soup hahaha[/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

I had recent contact with the original sumatran cock relative. It was revealed to me that the former skipper was posted in indonesia for some time before he retired in the philippines. he took some souvenirs with him from the his previous posts overseas from antiques to chickens(a sabongero with easy free access to customs--not a lot of guesing there).the former captain(now deceased) actually bought the sumatran cock shorlty after seeing it won a fight convincingly when he visited one long kinfe event in town.

If one has to get this blood one has to go to indonesia, the blood coming outside this region is diluted and may not be the true measure of its original form. That I can say with confidence.

Post Thanks / Like

black sumatra line easy to get.it may not be pit tested in todays pit..you can buy this line at any hatchery here in the u.s.a baby chicks only some will have minimum order of 12 baby chick per order..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arnel2008 View Post
    black sumatra line easy to get.it may not be pit tested in todays pit..you can buy this line at any hatchery here in the u.s.a baby chicks only some will have minimum order of 12 baby chick per order..
    I also inquired about those one since last year but those are show chickens/ornamentals and bantams or smaller. The ones still being pitted in indonesia are the real deal, especially those that were fought in long knives(sabung ayam).

The jungle fowl type is smaller too and they are harvested(or caught) during mating season when they venture towards villages for potential mates. Their hormone levels are up and they could be seen as very aggressive to the local stocks/table roosters(beating them black and blue) to mate with the hens.

But still, there are still a lot of things to do before they are ready for the big time. But for now, they are making me happy. And I didn't have to join the sweater bandwagon or spend a fortune to be happy. These bred is unpretentious and never fail to pleasantly surprise me. It is usually the people that makes me unhappy. Chickens are better cockers, if you ask me.

12. Likes EPG5 Backyard liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VMT^Carmen View Post
    I also inquired about those one since last year but those are show chickens/ornamentals and bantams or smaller. The ones still being pitted in indonesia are the real deal, especially those that were fought in long knives(sabung ayam).

The jungle fowl type is smaller too and they are harvested(or caught) during mating season when they venture towards villages for potential mates. Their hormone levels are up and they could be seen as very aggressive to the local stocks/table roosters(beating them black and blue) to mate with the hens.

But still, there are still a lot of things to do before they are ready for the big time. But for now, they are making me happy. And I didn't have to join the sweater bandwagon or spend a fortune to be happy. These bred is unpretentious and never fail to pleasantly surprise me. It is usually the people that makes me unhappy. Chickens are better cockers, if you ask me.

Hi Oliver , do you know in what part of Indonesia you think they come from ? As you know I've worked there a few times in the past 30 years and while I've seen plenty of pit fowl I cant say I ever seen anything remotely close to what I'd consider a sumartra game in my travels and wanderings....

Post Thanks / Like

guys check out cackle hatchery.com they got black sumatra and no this are not bantam their in rare breed section.2 years ago i ordered crele old english game from them they are good and winning for me in p.i. i will ask my friend to breed it for me this coming breeding season..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nonny View Post
    Hi Oliver , do you know in what part of Indonesia you think they come from ? As you know I've worked there a few times in the past 30 years and while I've seen plenty of pit fowl I cant say I ever seen anything remotely close to what I'd consider a sumartra game in my travels and wanderings....
    Hi Glenn, Yes, I wrote it down. It's in Tanjung Batu, Kundur. The original Filipino owner was a former military man that went into the fishing business. Are you still eyeing job prospect in Papau New Guinea?

Post Thanks / Like

guys check out cackle hatchery.com they got black sumatra and no this are not bantam their in rare breed section.2 years ago i ordered crele old english game from them they are good and winning for me in p.i. i will ask my friend to breed it for me this coming breeding season..
    So you orderd from them and got good game fowl that are game and fight good?

Post Thanks / Like

yes Oliver , things are moving , slowly , but moving...we hope to be based in P.I shortly and i'll fly in and out with work.....I dont recall being near anywere named Kundur , will have to google and see

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if anyone in Hawaii has black sumatras or any type of sumatras, man I would love to have 1 and try the blood.

Post Thanks / Like

That takes guts to admit that, but I'd say you're not the only one to try it. I'm sure some of them are fairly game, most of them will likely run for the hills as they are not bred for gameness. But you LK fighters aren't as concerned about gameness I suppose.
    Last edited by Falkor; June 12th, 2011 at 12:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

if you order chickens from a hatchery you might end getting a bad quality breed of chickens .
    last year I ordered some sumatras from cackle hatchery and I got a big surprise when my sumatras in my order were with white earlobes,big combs.
    nothing to do with the gypsi face on sumatras
    I recoment to buy sumatras from a private breeder also look for a sumatra that are game .
    there's a lot of sumatras than arent sumatras,they are just a copy of the real deal since so many poultry people breed their chickens for shows.
    thats why we see so many lines of sumatras now.
    Last edited by gallo4319; June 12th, 2011 at 01:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually you would be surprised...I had a friend that got some from there and raised them up. He crossed them and fought them in the s/k and gaff. He did quite well with them for that matter. Now personally i think he got the lucky out of selection as i don't think they will all be that game.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I was thinkign I thought about ordering birds from there but I never did do to the fact that I would be spending a good bit of money on birds that I wouldn't know if they're gonna be any good like someone else said he must have got lucky and got a good batch of birds from there

Post Thanks / Like

When i got chickens years ago .the first rooster i got was a montgomery traveler ,well after i bought this rooster i noticed some jet black chickens with black faces the prettiest thing i had ever seen in the back side of the mans barn so i had to hav some .so i asked the man how much for those .he told me a price but he had not bred enough of them for me to get then,so i go back a few months later and get my stag and 4 pullets .well i breed these chickens for 2 years and they spar great im like im gonna win the derby ..lol i get there and fight the first one they go in the air shuffling come down go back up my sumatra gets a taste of steel and he yells for momma and goes to the corner screaming ..arter the derby we took the roosters home ..we went to the barn and started tieing steel on the rest of them they all ran !! I have never bought another sumatra