Thread: Billy Abbott

Post Thanks / Like

Billy Abbott

Is anyone in the Philippines currently breeding or showing any of Billy Abbott's Roundhead's bloodlines?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Billy Abbott

Bruner Roundhead, original stock from Billy Abbott in early 70's
    Last edited by Bama Red; April 24th, 2011 at 11:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bama, Nice bruner any more pics? yfis -cali

Post Thanks / Like

Bruner pair

Post Thanks / Like

All these are from my friend "CountMe" to whom I am very grateful.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fowl man they look good hope they preform as good as they look yfis -cali

Post Thanks / Like

From the 70's to the 90's, Billy's rooster used to be pretty well represented in the country. Boy Diaz, The Plazas, My father and many other big cockers were importing birds from Billy but after his death the popularity of his birds decreased and sweater fever set in.

The Lacy blood of Billy may still be around but the brunners are gone.

BTW can't see your photos

Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone else having problems viewing my photo post?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonio View Post
    From the 70's to the 90's, Billy's rooster used to be pretty well represented in the country. Boy Diaz, The Plazas, My father and many other big cockers were importing birds from Billy but after his death the popularity of his birds decreased and sweater fever set in.

The Lacy blood of Billy may still be around but the brunners are gone.

BTW can't see your photos
    Bruners are still there just dont get talked about much my partner has been shipping a few Bruners for years to PI for breeding and we had a Billy Abbott Bruner Trio at the EXPO in the PI this year was auctioned off.Also was a Billy Abbott Bruner bull stag donated to another Benefit auction this past year that ended up in the PI. My partner and his step dad have had these Bruners for 38+ years they are real good fowl . I breed some of the Billy Abbotts used for crossing with my asil my partner also has the Jack Smith Bruners.Theres some pictures in the photo gallery on Sabong and GR.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j007 View Post
    Bruners are still there just dont get talked about much my partner has been shipping a few Bruners for years to PI for breeding and we had a Billy Abbott Bruner Trio at the EXPO in the PI this year was auctioned off.Also was a Billy Abbott Bruner bull stag donated to another Benefit auction this past year that ended up in the PI. My partner and his step dad have had these Bruners for 38+ years they are real good fowl . I breed some of the Billy Abbotts used for crossing with my asil my partner also has the Jack Smith Bruners.Theres some pictures in the photo gallery on Sabong and GR.
    Jim, just being curios, do you know if Billy Abbott/Jack Smith's Bruners would occasionally throw straight combed? I heard the pullets would throw blue legged from time to time, but what about SCs?

Thanks for any info.

yfis,
    Edwin

Post Thanks / Like

I can answer this from my own experiences, and I'm sure courious as to what Jim has to add. Yes they will on occasion will come straight combed along with yellow legs. The photos you see below are out of a breeding from the pair I posted previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Engkanto View Post
    Jim, just being curios, do you know if Billy Abbott/Jack Smith's Bruners would occasionally throw straight combed? I heard the pullets would throw blue legged from time to time, but what about SCs?

Thanks for any info.

yfis,
    Edwin

Last edited by Bama Red; May 4th, 2011 at 04:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The following bit of history should explain the variations in the Bruner bloodline.

Alabama Roundheads

by H.H Cowan & T.K. Bruner (1924)

I decided to make an infusion of this blood. I secured a royally bred Gull cock of the old school, through friendship with a source whence no one has ever been able to buy a feather to my knowledge, and bred him over my Roundhead hens.

The Gulls being a yellow and white leg strain of black breasted reds with few exceptions of medium station, the type and color was only slightly changed from this cross; but the plumage was longer and much improved. The plumage of the Gull fowl is of a marked characteristic, consisting of a very broad feather extremely long and with a quill of whale-bone toughness. Such plumage enables a cock to be fought several times during a season in good feathers.

The first cross were strong, tough and desperately game. I bred back to the Roundhead side, fighting and testing them. Each year’s breeding showed an improvement over the preceding one, and kept this up until they again were back to the Roundhead type, showing all the old time fighting qualities of the Allen Roundheads, yet this was backed by strength and endurance, making them more efficient cocks at any stage of battle.

It is my experience that any cocks must have the ability and inhibition to go all the way, as well as great scoring or starting, in order to hold their own in cock fighting of the present day. I fought them with fair success a few years and studied them closely, and finally reached the conclusion that their ability to strike rapidly and efficiently from any angle when in close quarters could be improved upon. Knowing this quality to be one of the outstanding characteristics of the Grist Gradys their foundation stock, I made a fresh infusion of this old reliable blood.

con't..

Post Thanks / Like

con't...
    I secured a cock that proved to be of the right sort and his produce were deep game and he imparted the quality I had aimed at to a marked degree, without the loss of any other essential quality. This proved to be a real combination fighting cocks, efficient at any stage of battle, which their record shows. By inbreeding and line breeding to the outstanding individuals for the past 12 years these qualities have been stamped into them, until they come uniform in type and action. The Alabama Roundheads are practically of the same color and type as the Allen Roundheads. Cocks are black breasted reds with white or yellow legs, but a pumpkin or a deep cherry red or a spangle occurs occasionally, as well as both straight and pea-combs. The hens come from light buff to wheaten, occasionally a green or dark legged fowl will appear among the offspring. All these slight variations come honestly from their foundation blood; the green or dark legs from the Redquill in the Gradys, and the straight combs from both the Gulls and Gradys. However, the largest proportion of them come with white and yellow legs, pea-combs and in color black breasted reds.

con't...

Post Thanks / Like

con't...

Origin and Development of Bruner Fowl....
    T. K. (Thomas Kincaid) Bruner and Willis Holding, both natives of N.C. grew up together. Both graduated from the same college, now N.C. State University and both bred and fought gamecocks. T. K. settled in Memphis and was well known in cocking circles in that area. He fought and won a number of mains with and against the best. He was associated for some time with H. H. Cowan and helped him develop the highly rated, at the time, Alabama Roundheads. T. K. later bred and fought his own fowl. T. K. Bruner died at Memphis, Tenn. in Dec 1942. While ill he requested his mother that in case of his death he wanted his home brood yard of fowl sent to Willis. Following his death, Harry Ford of Tenn., at Mrs. Bruner's request, shipped the yard of fowl to Mr. Holding, who has bred them pure since then. By selective breeding he developed a strain, which in honor of "T. K." he called Bruners. Some very satisfactory battle cocks were produced. They have won at St. Augustine, Orlando, Copper State, Boxwood, and elsewhere. They continue to win their share of the battles. Mr. Holding is now 85 years young and has placed his fowl in the hands of a competent friend who breeds, feeds and handles them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Red View Post
    I can answer this from my own experiences, and I'm sure courious as to what Jim has to add. Yes they will on occasion will come straight combed along with yellow legs. The photos you see below are out of a breeding from the pair I posted previously.
    http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/4624/26bruner.jpg

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/89/16575232.jpg
    Thanks Bama Red for the info. That SC RH stag sure looks awesome. I can see the TLC you're giving your birds.
    Last edited by Engkanto; May 4th, 2011 at 07:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bama Red for the info. That SC RH stag sure looks awesome. I can see the TLC you're giving your birds.
    Thanks Engkanto, I do my best to give them what they need and they do the same in return.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for any info.

yfis,
    Edwin
    Yes on Straight comb havent seen one but partner says it does happen and get a yellow legged one time to time and yes on the rare blue legged pullet.Joe says the straight comb ones are usually very good but he wont breed them. Likes the yellow legged ones when he gets one.Joe could tell you more I dont really keep them because their Bruners but because they are good fowl can win and cross really good --Jim
    Last edited by j007; May 4th, 2011 at 07:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes on Straight comb havent seen one but partner says it does happen and get a yellow legged one time to time and yes on the rare blue legged pullet.Joe says the straight comb ones are usually very good but he wont breed them. Likes the yellow legged ones when he gets one.Joe could tell you more I dont really keep them because their Bruners but because they are good fowl can win and cross really good --Jim
    Jim,
    Joe showed the staight comb Bruner in the photo I posted above a couple of times I believe. I did try and set a family with the yellow leg/straight comb Bruners I got from Joe, but they still come predominatly white leg/peacomb.

Post Thanks / Like

does billy abots brunners are early maturing fowls? can be fought pure in stag derbies in the long knife?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Jim.

Post Thanks / Like

Partner told me one of the first hens they ever got from Billy Abbott was Spangled and the the Billy Abbott line has a tendency to show a little white in tail or wing or both. My Billy Abbott Broodcock has some white in his breast which is a oddity from norm Joe said was a possiblity he might moult out Spangle. Another odditry joe looks for is a 2-3 white feathers on back of their head over the years those marked that way been extra special.--Jim

Post Thanks / Like

My brunners come from Timberlane gf. Occasionally I do get a straight comb stag or pullet, but never had them come yellow legged or blue legged pullets. Pretty good roosters..