Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPANGLED BUTCHER (Bill Roberts)

Post Thanks / Like

SPANGLED BUTCHER (Bill Roberts)

Can someone tell me anything about the Bill Roberts Spangled Butchers?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SPANGLED BUTCHER (Bill Roberts)

the butchers i had were good from him,i guess i got lucky.a lot of people have got junk from him be careful

Post Thanks / Like

He has got some good sweater blood or as he calls it banna leg

Post Thanks / Like

use the search feature to find out about bill roberts butchers just sayin

Post Thanks / Like

banna legs are butcher my friend has them he likes them

Post Thanks / Like

Bill Roberts anything to do with Red Roberts line of Butchers?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BIGG JOE View Post
    Bill Roberts anything to do with Red Roberts line of Butchers?
    Bigg Joe, I was just wondering if that was what you meant to say or not; Red Richardson.

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered Butchers from Bill Roberts in the early 90's. They were awesome fowl......I had both reds and spangles. The reds were better than the spangles show wise. I wish I still had them.....I hear the birds Bill sells are not as good as they were back then. He only advertised his Butchers and Preacher Hatch then...................

Post Thanks / Like

I keep reading the same thing. His fowl was good back in the day but know they are not as good. I think I'll pass on getting any. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

My neighbor got some spangled butchers from him, pure they were no good, but he crossed on white legged kelso and got outstanding show birds.

11. Likes Crunkelton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to cross them with some Kelso or Hatch.

Post Thanks / Like

fulldrop you are absouloutly correct ,thats what i was thinking ,thanks ......maybe I have waited to long to get back to roostering ,,,cant think good anymore , thanks for catching that...Red Richardson I will try to remember that.

Post Thanks / Like

The original "Butchers" came from Phil Marsh, who was a "Butcher" by trade. Phil owned a meat market. The Butchers we acually a cross between Marsh Speeders, and Groves Whitehackles. They came with white and yellow legs, had Red, Orange, and Lemmon Hackles. At that time very few were spangled, and most had red sppeckles in their breast. Hens came Partridge and Wheaton colored with some of the hens having spurs. The Butchers were "Head Hunters" with made it great for the short heel type fighting that they did. They also are great body cutting type fowl.
    Since then, I doubt very few have Butchers the way they came from the Marsh family, unless someone has been breeding them straight from 1915-1920 era. I knew a man named Pink Bowie, who had got them directly from Phill Marsh II. Our assocation was short lived as he passed away soon after I met him, and never got any of his fowl. As far as I know, he never sold any, or gave any out. They were abosolutely "Stunning" fowl....There could be original families out there somewhere......
    :-( Oh well....
    Last edited by Strongarm5791; May 18th, 2011 at 04:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

There are good Butcher families around but just like any other you have to find them and usually only through friendship do you get the good ones when you do locate them. Red Richardson did get fowl from Marsh and a few select individuals got them from him. I am sure others got them from Marsh too. The real question is after getting them how many were breeders and KEPT them as a family.....Don't get so overly excited concerning NAMES of the past but look for someone who has bred and kept them straight, healthy, vibrant and GAME....

Post Thanks / Like

i've all ways heard bad about bill... only a few like him.....

maybe he has good fowl...

but he sure as hell doesn't sale it... most people get junk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strongarm5791 View Post
    The original "Butchers" came from Phil Marsh, who was a "Butcher" by trade. Phil owned a meat market. The Butchers we acually a cross between Marsh Speeders, and Groves Whitehackles. They came with white and yellow legs, had Red, Orange, and Lemmon Hackles. At that time very few were spangled, and most had red sppeckles in their breast. Hens came Partridge and Wheaton colored with some of the hens having spurs. The Butchers were "Head Hunters" with made it great for the short heel type fighting that they did. They also are great body cutting type fowl.
    Since then, I doubt very few have Butchers the way they came from the Marsh family, unless someone has been breeding them straight from 1915-1920 era. I knew a man named Pink Bowie, who had got them directly from Phill Marsh II. Our assocation was short lived as he passed away soon after I met him, and never got any of his fowl. As far as I know, he never sold any, or gave any out. They were abosolutely "Stunning" fowl....There could be original families out there somewhere......
    :-( Oh well....
    thanks to friends i have my butchers back

Post Thanks / Like

these Butchers are fine for me

Post Thanks / Like

What I have seen of the Bill Roberts butchers I didn't like the pure ones. They didn't seem to be game enough for me. I'm Not sure what you call them, I have heard them called loopers, hit a lick and take off like they were going to run and come back and hit again. I don't like this type of bird. A friend of mine had some of these butchers and they were pretty good crossed on blueface. he won several derbys with them, But like I said I didn' like them pure.

Post Thanks / Like

I never seen problem with the gameness of Bill Roberts Butchers. Guess I was one of the lucky ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: SPANGLED BUTCHER (Bill Roberts)

As far as I know, the "Butchers" that he has, are nearly identical to the Marsh Butchers of old, in physical attributes. I am not sure about his breeding techniques, or his fowl as they are today, but I know they are NICE looking well cared for fowl. I don't even know if they are game or not. I don't own anything about them. I am sure he like them. He has got a bunch of them!

http://www.billrobertsfinefowl.com/s...d-butcher.html
    Last edited by Strongarm5791; May 19th, 2011 at 06:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

What does Bill get for his broodfowl now? I bought pairs back in 1992 or 1993 for $300.........crowing size........

Post Thanks / Like

I guess that I was alittle harsh on the butchers in my last post saying that they wasn't game enough. Actully I never saw that mush of the straight breed ones fight. Its not that they would try to fly threw the top of the barn or anything, but to me when you see one of these loopers that I was talking about, thats something that I don't like in a chicken. Actully I think its in there genetic makeup from being inbreed to close and a infussion of some new blood would probably fix that. Like I said my friend that had these butchers won several derbys with them crossed on blueface, fighting in LK, and the gaff. He even went to Sunset with some of them and did better than I thought he would. He won 4 out 8, and that could have been because of his keep that he didn't win more than that. He would have them ****ing like a goose all threw the keep. Over all I would say that they are pretty good birds. Someone tell me what cause's a bloodline to throw afew loopers. Just my opinion. YFIS:

Post Thanks / Like

I still maintain a red line of bill's butchers obtained back in 91' and have been kept straight ever since. Excellent for the american show from start to finish. It's hard nowadays to find a family of fowl that can pay for itself and then put some play money in your pocket,that's the reason i can't seem to get rid of these. LOL Never got anything much better when crossed so I just breed them straight. YFIS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE-RITE View Post
    I still maintain a red line of bill's butchers obtained back in 91' and have been kept straight ever since. Excellent for the american show from start to finish. It's hard nowadays to find a family of fowl that can pay for itself and then put some play money in your pocket,that's the reason i can't seem to get rid of these. LOL Never got anything much better when crossed so I just breed them straight. YFIS

I crossed them on hatch and damn they was better then they are pure.

Post Thanks / Like

had a guy here in ky had the best butchers i ever saw,they were marsh i beleive.he went by dessert fox.i am going to try and raise some this fall.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to hear more about these Butchers Blades61 my favorites are Butchers crossed with hatch.

Post Thanks / Like

got a buddy thats got um all straight combed all look like peas in a pod/ big leggs/all straight combed/they tend to stand up straight/ meduim station/ game as hell // they dont have the exotic look of the high station fowl of today// purley gaff birds the old fashion type///// very pretty well breed// old bill nos how to set a strain of birds and that simple fact is way over the average guys head//////// good gaff birds butt not blade birds at least the ones i seen are they worth 1500.00 not to me// butt if your one of the few breeding BUTCHERS OUT THERE i guess you can get it//

Post Thanks / Like

hell boys i aint never seen a trio in my life i would give 1500.00 a trio fer?????????? butt the market is flooded with hatch and sweater breeders so i guess old bill is selling a kinda rare breed intodays market??????? i would also guess old bill is big on health care keepin them in prime shape

Post Thanks / Like

I wont give that either . Wonder why you dont see Butcher Sweaters ? See Sweater everything else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strongarm5791 View Post
    As far as I know, the "Butchers" that he has, are nearly identical to the Marsh Butchers of old, in physical attributes. I am not sure about his breeding techniques, or his fowl as they are today, but I know they are NICE looking well cared for fowl. I don't even know if they are game or not. I don't own anything about them. I am sure he like them. He has got a bunch of them!

http://www.billrobertsfinefowl.com/s...d-butcher.html

By brother has some of the Butchers from Mr. Marsh and Mr Marsh has told him that he nor his father has ever sold any butchers to Bill Roberts...so go figure? To each his own......