Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Law grey

Post Thanks / Like

Law grey

Do some of the Law greys have green legs? Got a buddy that just got a trio all has green legs.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Law grey

I have a family of green leg E W LAW GREY's that came from Harold Brown Via Lane Arrington, Jr. They are beautiful silver grey with the smallest heads of any fowl anywhere and a deep red eye....cross real well with pea-head hatch.....inbred brood fowl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ga coondawg View Post
    yes... I have some greys that are supposed to be heavy in law blood and they come green legged and yellow legged.... I know they are not pure, there has to be some hatch blood in there, but I think it is safe to say e.w. law had yellow and green legged greys... more than likely though they are not pure and have hatch in them like mine...
    No offense, but why do they have to have Hatch in them? Mr. Law said the dark legs came from either Rangers or his Law Brownreds.

Post Thanks / Like

My Laws have thrown just yellow legs. I breed one side real tight- the Yurk's. original stock from Sam Yurk 1996. I acquired Law blood from Ronnie Singleton in 2006 have yet to get any thing but yellow legs out of them too. Both familys direct from Mr Law in the 1940's. Sam bought his when he got out of the Navy. Ronnie Singleton bought these from a Mr Hughes in Atlanta who got them direct from Mr Law. Ronnie also has the Cleveland side. Ronnie's - Hughes side favored my Yurk's more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaOkie View Post
    My Laws have thrown just yellow legs. I breed one side real tight- the Yurk's. original stock from Sam Yurk 1996. I acquired Law blood from Ronnie Singleton in 2006 have yet to get any thing but yellow legs out of them too. Both familys direct from Mr Law in the 1940's. Sam bought his when he got out of the Navy. Ronnie Singleton bought these from a Mr Hughes in Atlanta who got them direct from Mr Law. Ronnie also has the Cleveland side. Ronnie's - Hughes side favored my Yurk's more.

Are you saying their weren't any greenlegged Laws?

Post Thanks / Like

No Mike, just stating mine have NOT thrown a green leg in 15 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Accurding to the breeder from Virginia this is a law grey.

Post Thanks / Like

I think most of the time we're seeing more yellow legged law greys probably because perhaps they're more popular or people's leg color preference....whataever the case maybe, they are good chickens.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice looking greys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Everett View Post
    Mr. Law said the dark legs came from either Rangers or his Law Brownreds.

I done some searching and you are correct. Looks like the Law greys come both Green & Yellow legged.

A successful cross was the Law greys to Madigan's Texas Ranger's. These came dark legged. Therefore, if you have dark legged Law Greys and the trait is due to Law's breeding and not some other breeder afterward, then I would guess it is Ranger blood.

Post Thanks / Like

if you understand the ranger breeding in these greys , you also understand that laws greys also would come white straw neck with all black body's , dark legged , in the hens ,bet that is hard for some to swoller , but it s true

Post Thanks / Like

I raised a straight stag this past season out of the straight family that had black beak, black around eyes and black coloring elsewhere in feathering which is not the norm. These little grey's come true to their size, temperament and color. Harold told Lane when He got these from E W that they did not all come silver but Harold preferred the silver ones and always bred toward that side. Another trait they have is a very clear green leg, not to dark or to olive. I have to agree with Mike above on his take on the fowl....Lane Arrington and Jerry Cleveland who was Fred's son I think, were partners and Lane fed and showed MANY of the YELLOW leg law's. I saw them and bred them, no better cutters anywhere, he used Henery Wortham high-point hooks on them, they broke high and pulled a cock to them and relieved him of his breath....the green leg's are VERY GAME...

Post Thanks / Like

Redbreeder, does he look like this one? This is a Harold Brown grey a buddy of mine from Miss. gave me. He has had them for years. Most his come pea head though.

Post Thanks / Like

I will try to get some pictures of them for you B-Okie this weekend if possible....they are more SILVER grey than the ones above yet I do see similarities!...nice looking fowl!...do you have a picture of the hens-pullets? These are what I prefer, they are difficult to raise as to their inbreeding and when I do get some off Pullets are few compared to stags....they are the most beautiful silver hens you will see anywhere!

Post Thanks / Like

I do not have any hens/pullets from this buddy. Took a bunch of talking and arm twisting to get the cock I have a family of Harold Brown Red Fox from another cocker/friend in South Carolina. I'll go outside make a few snapshots of those hens.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Law grey

Redbreeder, does he look like this one? This is a Harold Brown grey a buddy of mine from Miss. gave me. He has had them for years. Most his come pea head though.

very nice looking cock sir,wish i had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Law Grey

No offense, but why do they have to have Hatch in them? Mr. Law said the dark legs came from either Rangers or his Law Brown reds.
    Mike , if they would just do some research and homework, I think it would literally shock them to know just how much Canadian Claret, Kerney Brown Red / Duryea and Brass Back Albany fowl made up the Law Greys ... In fact, the Grey color came from a pure white Claret hen. You can't have a future without a past , read and compreand your history people !!!

Post Thanks / Like

The best ones will still be the Yellow legged, Straightcomb, Silver grey Laws...
    Last edited by 1st DAN; May 21st, 2011 at 08:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't say they had to have hatch in them just said more than likely they did... most law greys ive seen had yellow legs, and I would say there aint many roosters out there that are really pure from e. w. law any way... there for I would deduct they have some hatch.. or some other family in them... but not pure anyway..

this don't mean they aint good chickens or can't reproduce.. In my opinion people say too much is pure now a days anyway... they are all chickens and they aint no pedigrees...

I would call them roosters of bama okie pure though and this is how I would word it... they are pure bama okie greys... he has been breeding them for fifteen years so I would say he has more than the rite to call them his family..

By the way bama those are fine FINE pure bama okie greys!!!! I don't know anything about them but I would love to have a pair to cross more yellow leg into mine. If you don't mind shoot me a pm describing their atheletic abilities please.
    I agree with ga coondawg alot of people get caught up with the pure this pure that. Just call them what you want.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't say they had to have hatch in them just said more than likely they did... most law greys ive seen had yellow legs, and I would say there aint many roosters out there that are really pure from e. w. law any way... there for I would deduct they have some hatch.. or some other family in them... but not pure anyway..

this don't mean they aint good chickens or can't reproduce.. In my opinion people say too much is pure now a days anyway... they are all chickens and they aint no pedigrees...

I would call them roosters of bama okie pure though and this is how I would word it... they are pure bama okie greys... he has been breeding them for fifteen years so I would say he has more than the rite to call them his family..

By the way bama those are fine FINE pure bama okie greys!!!! I don't know anything about them but I would love to have a pair to cross more yellow leg into mine. If you don't mind shoot me a pm describing their atheletic abilities please.
    I have a friend that father got the Laws direct....guess what greenlegged, no Hatch. people see greenlegs and automatically say Hatch, there were greenlegs before Hatch and greenleg families that don't have a drop of Hatch.
    Last edited by Mike Everett; May 21st, 2011 at 09:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

No offense, but why do they have to have Hatch in them? Mr. Law said the dark legs came from either Rangers or his Law Brownreds.
    That's what I thought. I have Law Greys and they are green legged, and I have several friends that have Laws and they are green legged????????

Post Thanks / Like

Man im not gonna argue with you... I agree with everything you are saying... even said it in my first post that he had green legged greys

But you have to admit "hatch" chickens are crossed into more families than probly any other with the exception of whitehackle since it is in almost all families... making it a high probability there is some hatch blood in his trio.

ps: do you have a hang up with hatch chickens??
    No hangup with Hatch chickens, just people that see green legs and say Hatch. If you study the old fight reports Mr. Hatch fought under Long Island, back then they gave a discription of the cocks fought in each event. Most of Mr. Hatches fowl weren't greenlegged, they were yellowlegged. Ted Mclean & Harry Parr had more to do with the cocks coming greenlegged than Mr. Hatch. Harold Brown was the one to spread them around. Do my friends have a High probability of Hatch, just because they are greenlegged?
    Mr. Law sold fowl, good ones when it was hard to get them. They were different families with different % of bloodlines. He never really set them as a family, all they were was what he said Law Greys. They had Madigin, McNearney greys and Albany, some had his dark blood that he fought many years before he had the greys.

Post Thanks / Like

bred this stag quite a bit this season

This cock is above Stags daddy.

This cock above cocks uncle

Post Thanks / Like

As long as they good honest GAME chickens. NOTHING else matters
    That is what mine are & I'm trying my best to keep them the way I got them.

This cock(my avatar) Bro/sis mating.

His moma- daddy last cock previous post.

Post Thanks / Like

The greenlegged Laws went into the makeup of Blackwell's Bumblefoots greys, the white Claret was brother to the "Brown"( called the Chocolate) hen that was in the Chocolates along with Regular grey, the Chocolates are a greenlegged family from Law, but developed by Harry Parr.

CyberFriends
    Post Thanks / Like

A pure Law Grey is always yellow leg. A throwback will show some green legs which is a sign of Hatch cross. Regular Grey is always white legger. Bennet white leg grey is the best among all greys. It's my honest opinion. Adios amigos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
    A pure Law Grey is always yellow leg. A throwback will show some green legs which is a sign of Hatch cross. Regular Grey is always white legger. Bennet white leg grey is the best among all greys. It's my honest opinion. Adios amigos.
    It may be your honest opinion, but it's wrong. Regular greys are greenlegged...........you may be talking about Blackhat Johnny Bennet, but the Bennetts from Tenns. like Sammy has are greenlegged.
    Last edited by Mike Everett; May 21st, 2011 at 11:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
    Around 1935-1936, Law started calling his Greys Law greys. Prior to that he called then Canadian greys in published fight club reports. This was his way of referencing they were Hanky Dean greys being bred in Canada for Col. John Madigan. They came yellow and white legged. All were straight combed. They were the exact same blood as the Red Madigin Clarets. When he started calling them Law Greys he had infused O'Connel Albany(hen side) under a Madigan Grey cock. The yellow leg becoming more common with a white leg still expected. A later infusion of McNerney Greys solidified the predominance of yellow legs over the white. Law crossed these on a lot of his other good fowl and advertised and sold a lot of fowl. A successful cross was the Law greys to Madigan's Texas Ranger's. These came dark legged. Therefore, if you have dark legged Law Greys and the trait is due to Law's breeding and not some other breeder afterward, then I would guess it is Ranger blood.
    From my research, during the era of the Lawridge Plantation never was there a pea comb Law Grey shown. However, there is evidence that some Boston Roundhead was bred into some matings.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing about Hatch in the make up of the Law Greys, Albanys,Roundhead........ No hatch unless somewhere along the line someone else crossed them with Hatch

Post Thanks / Like

E. W. Law