Thread: 1 month old chick bully

Post Thanks / Like

1 month old chick bully

Just noticed one of my 1 month old grey chicks going around picking fights with the rest of the chicks. At first i removed the bullied chicks thinking they where all fighting each other then realised that only 1 was beating them up leaving them all bloody. Will there be any ill effects penning him up at such a young age?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1 month old chick bully

No , take good care of him and he'll be fine . 99% of cockers let chicks run loose but it's under their feet ... in and out of the cords and drink water from the dome pen water bowls . That's the equivalent of how they do eggs ... they have huge barn of layers laying cage eggs ... if they open the cage door they can call it cage free eggs .... if you don't have a GOOD walk free of other fowl to turn them on , then it's not letting them run loose except by technicality .

Keep him healthy , on fresh ground ,etc ... he'll be fine .

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah he’ll be just fine my Greys are usually have one like that. I had a foam incubator when I got back into it. Well I put a white coffee cup full of hot water in there to boost humidity. I had one hatch so I let him run around in there to dry off couple hours later he was flogging that coffee cup. I marked him. He ended being one of my better broodcocks. He had to be kept separated. But he was also one of those you just like picking up. And could slap put the spurs to one to.
    Last edited by Bama71; March 27th, 2020 at 11:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I know its impossible to separate with big numbers for some. I live in pen country, so I can only allow free range for a very short time. I never liked my young stags setting a pecking order, dont know for sure that it matters, but I always wanted a stag to not be dominated until it came about or not at a show. The minute I see it, I pen immediately. I always thought it could lead to a mental issue. Game stags will go at it either way but I don't want hesitation or domination. I could be totally wrong, but had always been a part of my thinking.jmo

5. Likes CA whitetoppy06, Disciple liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Spanish chicks do this. Sometimes it is at a month old. Sometimes not until 4 months. I have noticed that the ones caged earlier than there brothers are smaller. Than the ones caged at a later age.

7. Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post