2. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Keeping a roosters power

Quote Originally Posted by brownred kelso View Post
    Are you grassing the cocks that last week? ,BRK
    No I have no grass only straw in fly pens

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes roosters get hungry that last week and you mentioned carb loading and if I were feeding that last week I would not want a spec of anything in the pens as two things that will delay or block a rooster that is on his finish feed trash and grass and I've dissected a bunch of birds over the years finding grass and straw many times over, this is one of the important factors that allowed me to coin the phrase "Well rested, relaxed and satisfied" and the only way I was ever able to get those results were an extended rest, a calm environment and to satisfy their appetite and the protein pellet was the only way I ever was able to get roosters to focus as where carb's made them restless and the more restless a rooster becomes the more likely he is to stress and pull moisture as all game fowl teeter on dehydration this is a very likely scenario because with dehydration comes sluggish,tired, weak, balance issues, poor decision making or "Stupid acting" in the pit as they say and losing and don't let anyone kid you dehydration starts as soon as the event begins but it's just that more people have a reserve to pull from where others do not,,,BRK

5. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep it going !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Keep them going, important thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

From my experience it has to do with their moisture if you ever notice some people have them hitting like mules but couldn't cut a paper bag then some are to wet and their sluggish and can't get out of the way of getting cut. That moisture is a tricky thing.

9. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownred kelso View Post
    Sometimes roosters get hungry that last week and you mentioned carb loading and if I were feeding that last week I would not want a spec of anything in the pens as two things that will delay or block a rooster that is on his finish feed trash and grass and I've dissected a bunch of birds over the years finding grass and straw many times over, this is one of the important factors that allowed me to coin the phrase "Well rested, relaxed and satisfied" and the only way I was ever able to get those results were an extended rest, a calm environment and to satisfy their appetite and the protein pellet was the only way I ever was able to get roosters to focus as where carb's made them restless and the more restless a rooster becomes the more likely he is to stress and pull moisture as all game fowl teeter on dehydration this is a very likely scenario because with dehydration comes sluggish,tired, weak, balance issues, poor decision making or "Stupid acting" in the pit as they say and losing and don't let anyone kid you dehydration starts as soon as the event begins but it's just that more people have a reserve to pull from where others do not,,,BRK
    So does powder dextrose help in this dehydration.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from a health food store and got me some amino acid capsule bottle and powder dextrose. Something for the chicken again.

Post Thanks / Like

Have any of yall ever tried giving the cocks the booster gel used for hypoglocymic people before the fight to raise sugar levels.

13. Thanks Yunke8888, whisperer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mr. tj View Post
    Have any of yall ever tried giving the cocks the booster gel used for hypoglocymic people before the fight to raise sugar levels.
    More or less use to give 2cc of Dextrose down they throat. Should be about same effect just dont choke them.

15. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The number one thing to make a cock keep his power is this: Give him a good mother and father. No. 1 always will be!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    The number one thing to make a cock keep his power is this: Give him a good mother and father. No. 1 always will be!!!!
    So true never make them better than they was born. Good genes.....no big secret. I think most try easy way out and the 2 "positives" creates a Negative. Don't mess them up is best advice I can give.

18. Thanks southernX thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very important thread, Keep it going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaBlue View Post
    You nailed it LaBlue.He will [Never] fight an ounce better than he is BRED.A great trainer will get all out of him that he is capable of giving.A bad trainer will take away about half his natural ability.The brood pen is the most important step in the overall process of this great sport.Nobody can make a [Silk Purse Out Of A Sow's Ear].FIS,Ronole.....

21. Thanks MarshButcher, roostercm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Putting this back on top. This is a very informative thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Way too much feed. Your cocks are never reaching there point. A sharp rooster is a empty rooster and your are far from empty if your feeding what your saying when your saying.

24. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Likes gaff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried feeding them just pellets for pointing as BRK said here for the better part of a season and I've never shown worse. Maybe I didn't get it right but they hit better when I point them with cracked corn.

26. Likes RHman1026, matt59 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You are giving 1/2 evap milk 1/2 water all they want on the nite before. I always used 1 can evap milk to 3 cans water and gave Tuesday or Wednesday. They will stand and drink this when they won't touch water. You are too wet in my opinion as I have been there done that.

28. Thanks spring creek thanked for this post
    Likes spring creek, nem76 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hitting hard comes from genetics not food. Same goes for stamina & speed.
    A healthy diet and not over feeding will help but it ain’t going to turn a dunghill into a ace.
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; May 19th, 2018 at 11:16 AM.

30. Likes rogeroleo, sinapangan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To moist... Dry them back alil more

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mr. tj View Post
    ever since I tried this method I have won 8 derbies thank you very much sir the only difference is that I only use cracked corn and also I give 20 grams at 7 AM and the roosters hold all the way up until 2 a.m. I couldn't find where I had scene this pointing method to say thank you
    So how exactly does this work? Feed that amount in the morning and check the time you plan to fight ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Not all roosters have lots of power and dont need it just enough to hub a gaff is enough but keeping the power you have for the distance comes from brood pen

34. Likes KAHUNA NO KA OI liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brood pens is where it starts. But dessicated liver never hurt anything either. It does help them to keep power in a 2 hour drag. But as bidderfly said it don’t take a whole lot anyway. I’ve seen a few gaffs get walked in back in the day. I do love a good strong rooster with bottom. It gives you a since of pride that you did something right at that 2 hour drag and you still can sink it to the hub. Also if you go 2 hours neither one of you a cutting good either. Sorry for rambling. Lol

36. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keeping the power also comes from conditioning of the muscles and body, dont be fooled into thinking that it dont.
    SF
    Last edited by KevinG; March 26th, 2020 at 06:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Folks that have good bred fowl but never really explode or do anything special in the drag usually have something in common .. They are over fed a premix and never worked until the keep . After the first buckles the keep feed and work is gone and the brood pen tells him what to do and his raising determines if he can .

The glands , organs and chemicals that make em roufh gotta he exercised as much as the muscle .. Brain too . It makes a big difference in how long you can hold em sharp too .. If you got cocks a working man has fed premix to and only conditioned and hauled at the end ... They won't hold long . Their body isn't strong enough to produce the hormones and chemicals needed

Used to be farm walks dominated pen raised .. Them birds body and brains had been strengthened to produce chemicals way more . It wasn't just grass and bugs

Post Thanks / Like

One guy said gizzards in wild fowl are bigger and stronger .. And folks all latched on to that as the key , I bet not . What about their pineal gland , pancreas or glands that produce adrenaline , testosterone , etc .. Where's the whole picture ?

Take two guys that load feed together and get amped up and pay attention vs a guy loading feed lazy . That lazy guy using sleepy muscles and no mental focus is 100 times more likely to get hurt without his body in tension . Arnold worked out but that passion and focus while working out makes stronger muscle than bored reps

When you are growing up ... How your muscle and mind is fed decides what you will be . Can't make an oak out of a willow . but both are wood . A willow grows near water and a blackjack grow in clay fighting for every drop of water and nutrient .. A blackjack will make actual sparks fly from a chainsaw .

Them cocks being fed good and pampered on cords are bait for farm walked cocks .. You can't feed health . Health isn't what you eat , it's how you live

40. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, we dnt keep the rooster power. We improve them. Bacterial flushing. A filipino canadian taught me so. He was my buyer and paid plane ticket for me to watch my fowls he bought fought 5 cock derby in Cainta, Rizal. Missed that kind of buyer/friend.

Post Thanks / Like

You want to breed more power in to your fowl breed the males and females that check all the standard boxes for your program AND have longer stouter constructed wings. 90+% of what I know in gamefowl was taught to me or I learned through research. What I mention above I came across on my own. Take it or leave it

Post Thanks / Like

How do asil fit into that longer wing theory ? I have asil with short wing that don't need a second wind to get up .. Like John Henry sledgehammering

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    How do asil fit into that longer wing theory ? I have asil with short wing that don't need a second wind to get up .. Like John Henry sledgehammering
    Maybe you just think he is stout? A midget would think I was tall.

45. Likes roostercm liked this post